Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,812 members, 7,820,859 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:23 PM

An Open Letter To The Minister For Power, Works & Housing - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / An Open Letter To The Minister For Power, Works & Housing (2787 Views)

Open Letter To The Honourable Minister Of Power, Works And Housing / Open Letter To The Honourable Minister Of Power, Works And Housing / Meet South Sudan’s Current Minister For Water Resources And Irrigation (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

An Open Letter To The Minister For Power, Works & Housing by KerryMo: 11:33am On Mar 16, 2016
15TH MARCH, 2016

AN OPEN LETTER TO THE MINISTER FOR POWER, WORKS AND HOUSING

Perhaps, appreciating you and your team for the efforts geared towards lighting up Nigeria for good, should be commended but sincerely, it is not good enough. This is the reason I write you this piece to express my displeasure at the way the power situation is being run and managed.
By the grace of God, I clocked thirty four years today and currently have a two year old kid whom I thought, wished and prayed for to experience a better Nigeria. Unfortunately, my experience with the Nigerian power situation in my past years has been nothing but a disaster, unpleasant, regretful and to say the least, nothing to write home about. Even more worrisome, is the fact that, my two years old kid chants “Up NEPA” in her own generation like I did in my own. Need I say that the metamorphosis from Nigeria Electricity Power Authority (NEPA) to Power Holding Company of Nigeria (PHCN) and now to Electricity Distribution Company is a mirage and a sham.
I had thought that the deregulation or privatization of the sector would amount to something pleasant but the reverse is the case, to the extent that I have now tagged the body responsible for power in Nigeria as the most incompetent in the world. Worst of it all, is the way and manner that consumers of power are forced to pay for what they did not consume. Nigerian consumers pay for what is not in existence. Outrageous bills are brought at the end of the month which consumers must pay for, even when there is little or no supply of the commodity-‘power’.
When the Almighty God made the pronouncement, “Let there be Light”, I wonder if that did not include our beloved country- Nigeria. I beat my chest as I say this, I have never experienced a twenty four hours of steady power supply without a blink in all my life as a Nigerian citizen. This is a shame and a slap to the leaders and people of this country where there is so much yet we wallow in poverty and self pity. Every day, we hear of billions of naira and dollars earmarked for salvaging the plight of power but nothing is done. Where do the monies go? Who are those responsible for what? Why is nothing done to them and in the end we cry foul and throw mud slings and accusing fingers on each other and those we should hold responsible, go scot-free.
How can a country such as this not be able to boast of generating 5,000mega watts? Whereas, places like the United Kingdom use that much for its airports alone. We talk too much in this country, boast about little things we achieve and steal so much to enrich ourselves and generations yet unborn.
The other day, the Minister for Power claimed the drop in power was as a result of damage in gas pipelines and saboteurs in the systems and I wonder why this is peculiar to this country. Japan some years back, suffered earthquake and tsunami that caused massive wreckage in their economy yet, they do not cry foul like we do. We are so unserious with things that concern our society and well being as a people.
Our leaders travel the world, see the amazing things in other countries but do not replicate what they see in our own country to making it better. I write this to challenge whoever is in the helm of affair. Why don’t you leave a mark so that Nigerians living and those yet unborn would not suffer the plight of darkness. The issues we face as Nigerians are enormous and nerve wrecking. Sometimes, I question my nationality as a Nigerian. Were we born to suffer amidst plenty? Successive administrations come and go with their many promises and the situation remains the same or worsens.
Power has dropped tremendously to a down low 1,543 mega watts from about 4,000mega watts that we were managing. I barely had light at my place somewhere at the Airport Road, in Abuja where I live and some non-entities had the effrontery to issue me with a bill of more than N10, 000. 00 for the month of February of which I powered my house using my Generating Set. How annoying that was to be issued such an outrageous bill. I do not know if this bill was based on the increment in tariffs but I am sure that I saw fixed charge of N702.00 which as I am aware, would not be in the new tariffs. I am also aware that the increment is yet to be implemented as the Senate did not consent to it.
I am pained by this anomaly and wish that something is done and now. I speak for myself but I know so many Nigerians bear this burden and suffer the same pains. Apparently, I do not know how the process works or know my rights as a consumer but what happens if I refused to pay for what I did not consume? As far as I know, I have been a law abiding citizen, never tampered with any power installations, paid my bills as at when due and also complained when I needed to but I cannot continue to be taken for a ride when my complaints do not get the right treatments. I therefore would like to urge fellow Nigerians and law abiding citizens of this great country to say NO to Exploitation from these unscrupulous elements that do not care for our good.

FROM A PAINED CITIZEN
(boymorrigan@gmail.com +2347086547099)

1 Share

Re: An Open Letter To The Minister For Power, Works & Housing by Macwytt(m): 11:37am On Mar 16, 2016
Buhari self

(1) (Reply)

Cartoon: Danfo Drivers And Lagos Roads / Brazilian Visa Requirements / Breaking News

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.