Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,500 members, 7,843,515 topics. Date: Wednesday, 29 May 2024 at 07:14 AM

The Interesting And Scary Potentials Of The Present Day AI - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / The Interesting And Scary Potentials Of The Present Day AI (957 Views)

Researchers Shut Down AI That Invented Its Own Language / Some Scary Facts We Probably Don't Know About Snakes. / Graphics:See The Giant Scary Snake A Nairalander Killed Today (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Interesting And Scary Potentials Of The Present Day AI by destino24(m): 7:31pm On Mar 16, 2016
Ok, so a few weeks ago I was on LinkedIn, and I saw a link to a video by Ted, about a program that could write poetry. The program could write it so well, it was indistinguishable from that of a human.

Link to the video below

https://www.ted.com/talks/oscar_schwartz_can_a_computer_write_poetry?language=en

Then a while ago, I saw a documentary on CNN about AlphaGo, a computer Program designed by Google DeepMind in London.

AlphaGo took on and defeated Lee Sedol, the World's top GO champion.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/3/15/11213518/alphago-deepmind-go-match-5-result

GO is a strategy based board game, considered to be way more complex then Chess.

These all got me thinking. A computer program that could write poetry and play Go Firstly, I thought of the enormous potential of this program, especially in the field of Engineering and construction, medicine, law enforcement, education etc. It really is cool

Then, I thought of some of the sci-fi movies I have seen, Terminator comes to mind, Could this be the point where AI becomes superior to Human Intelligence?? cry

Then again, how disastrous could things get if this technology falls into the wrong hands?

What do you guys think?

Cc
Seun
Lalasticlala
Mynd44
Re: The Interesting And Scary Potentials Of The Present Day AI by Nobody: 12:44am On Mar 17, 2016
You mentioned the wrong people.

But, I'll comment anyway.

The truth is that, those things that those computers are doing is programmed in. it has nothing to do with Human intelligence. at best, it is simply a mimicry. Human's can't play chess that well, most humans can't even write or understand poetry. but we're considered more intelligent than those programs. why? because we are essentially more complex and dynamic. we understand nuances, black and white, we aren't ruled by logic, but by emotions. we have biases, Ideological lenses, and so on and so forth. in fact, experiments undertaken to simulate the human brain require huge farms of super computing power to achieve tiny percentages of the neuron activity. All these points to the fact that we're nowhere near what you are afraid of.

Also, Falling into the wrong hands is not a problem. humans won't destroy the planet just because they have the power too. sure, some douchebag programmer can write AI to fetch nudes from dumb celebrities, but you most likely won't be enslaved by robots or artificial intelligence in your lifetime. there are studies being made on the subject. research on friendly AI to clear your fears.
Re: The Interesting And Scary Potentials Of The Present Day AI by Blakjewelry(m): 8:55pm On Mar 17, 2016
For me I think humans are a biological machines and one day we will be able to create artificial machines similar to us but stronger and more intelligent.
On whether they will be friendly or not depends many factors such as humans has their actions.
Secondly while many people in scientific world believed, though it is a fact that the size of the computer that can mimic the human brain is enormous, I think we just lack the scientific and technical know how on how to achieve so much in a small space. I believe with time we can achieve this,
Re: The Interesting And Scary Potentials Of The Present Day AI by destino24(m): 9:14pm On Mar 17, 2016
Blakjewelry:
For me I think humans are a biological machines and one day we will be able to create artificial machines similar to us but stronger and more intelligent.
On whether they will be friendly or not depends many factors such as humans has their actions.
Secondly while many people in scientific world believed, though it is a fact that the size of the computer that can mimic the human brain is enormous, I think we just lack the scientific and technical know how on how to achieve so much in a small space. I believe with time we can achieve this,

I totally understand your point, but based on your second paragraph, I think the major issue with the potentials of AI is the fact that these machines could wield all the intellectual, strategic and logical Intelligence, without the emotional and "sentimental" Intelligence to balance the equation.

If humans can create machines that can COMPLETELY mimic the human brain, then there wouldn't be no issue at all
Re: The Interesting And Scary Potentials Of The Present Day AI by destino24(m): 9:15pm On Mar 17, 2016
Blakjewelry:

I totally understand your point, but based on your second paragraph, I think the major issue with the potentials of AI is the fact that these machines could wield all the intellectual, strategic and logical Intelligence, without the emotional and "sentimental" Intelligence to balance the equation.

If humans can create machines that can COMPLETELY mimic the human brain, then there would be no issue at all
Re: The Interesting And Scary Potentials Of The Present Day AI by Blakjewelry(m): 9:31pm On Mar 17, 2016
destino24:

If humans can create machines that can COMPLETELY mimic the human brain, then there would be no issue at all
Emotions and sentiment which is our weakness is also have greatest strength, an intelligent machine without emotions and sentiment I think can only lead to two things either confusion or curiosity.
Re: The Interesting And Scary Potentials Of The Present Day AI by destino24(m): 9:37pm On Mar 17, 2016
Blakjewelry:

Emotions and sentiment which is our weakness is also have greatest strength, an intelligent machine without emotions and sentiment I think can only lead to two things either confusion or curiosity.

Precisely my point!
Re: The Interesting And Scary Potentials Of The Present Day AI by Blakjewelry(m): 10:07pm On Mar 17, 2016
destino24:

Precisely my point!
Curiosity is good that means they want to learn but if confuse it might lead to problems. Curiosity is what lead man to all these scientific achievements. The search for a self reliant ai is on I think we in this part of the world should join the race
Re: The Interesting And Scary Potentials Of The Present Day AI by HapyOne: 2:44am On Mar 18, 2016
destino24:
Ok, so a few weeks ago I was on LinkedIn, and I saw a link to a video by Ted, about a program that could write poetry. The program could write it so well, it was indistinguishable from that of a human.

Link to the video below

https://www.ted.com/talks/oscar_schwartz_can_a_computer_write_poetry?language=en

Then a while ago, I saw a documentary on CNN about AlphaGo, a computer Program designed by Google DeepMind in London.

AlphaGo took on and defeated Lee Sedol, the World's top GO champion.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/3/15/11213518/alphago-deepmind-go-match-5-result

GO is a strategy based board game, considered to be way more complex then Chess.

These all got me thinking. A computer program that could write poetry and play Go Firstly, I thought of the enormous potential of this program, especially in the field of Engineering and construction, medicine, law enforcement, education etc. It really is cool

Then, I thought of some of the sci-fi movies I have seen, Terminator comes to mind, Could this be the point where AI becomes superior to Human Intelligence?? cry

Then again, how disastrous could things get if this technology falls into the wrong hands?

What do you guys think?

Cc
Seun
Lalasticlala
Mynd44

Well you could be right about the possible negative consequence of this technology. With my knowledge of Machine Learning and Deep Learning we are way far off in building those things you see in Sci-Fi Movies so their is nothing to worry about here.

The day we fully understand how common sense works and successfully create a Artificial Neural Network representation of it then we can possibly create a truly intelligent machine. Well, I hope that will be possible it will be way computational expensive to achieve that.

No matter how smart a machine will be their will always be a kill switch, just like humans too have a kill switch. So relax and enjoy the technology why you can.

Why worry about what hasn't happened yet.

(1) (Reply)

1 Bitcoin Hits $1000 / Nigerian Man Build Sport Car From Scratch To New(video & Pics) / Highly Creative People Who Are At Another Level - SEE NOW! +18 Thumbnail

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.