Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,173 members, 7,815,106 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:24 AM

No Excuse For Dismissing Gender Equality Bill - PDP National Woman Leader's - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / No Excuse For Dismissing Gender Equality Bill - PDP National Woman Leader's (10302 Views)

WAEC Certificate: Buhari Files Appeal Against Ruling Dismissing His Objection / Senate's Rejection Of The Gender Equality Bill: Nigerians React On Twitter / Jonathan's Former Officials Accuse Buhari Of Dismissing Already Dissolved Board (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

No Excuse For Dismissing Gender Equality Bill - PDP National Woman Leader's by emmalezy(m): 5:33pm On Mar 18, 2016
Former Nigerian Federal Minister of Aviation, and the current National Women Leader of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), has released a statement unbehalf of Nigerian women on the controversial Gender Equality Bill.

On behalf of the entire PDP women, I join members of the civil society to express profound disappointment and displeasure over the dismissal of the Nigerian Gender and Equal Opportunities bill by the Nigerian Senate, on Tuesday March, 2016.

This regressive action ironically occurred at a critical time when the United Nations Commission on the Status of Women (CSW) conference is currently holding in New York, USA.

The implication of throwing out the Gender and Equal Opportunities bill is that the incidences of rape, domestic violence, maternal mortality, poverty e.t.c, which have been ravaging our country will continue unchallenged. The dismissal of that bill essentially undermines the contributions Nigerian women are making towards our national development.

That bill is not just about women. It is centred around the survival of the family system in Nigeria. If that bill were passed, the greatest beneficiaries would have been the menfolk, who are undoubtedly the heads of families. Nigerian women have partnered with them in building stable homes and the society at large. Nigerian women have proved capacity to lead and capacity to follow in national development.

Nigerian women are very conscious of positive Nigerian cultures and tradition but however, they propose to eliminate those factors that retard our socio economic development to comparable international standards. I watched the debate and I pay tribute to some of the male senators who made very positive contributions in support of the bill for which the female senators fought hard but lost the battle.

Women constitute more than 50% of the population of the country; unfortunately, they are only a minute minority in both the National Assembly and State Houses of Assembly. It is therefore no surprise that that bill was thrown out. That bill was about humanity and not about women.

I therefore plead with the Senate to revisit this bill, especially in the context of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), especially as the Senate President has already promised to reconsider it.

Signed:

Kema Chikwe
PDP National Woman Leader.

source
http://www.reportnaija.com/2016/03/no-excuse-for-dismissing-gender.html

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: No Excuse For Dismissing Gender Equality Bill - PDP National Woman Leader's by Nobody: 5:37pm On Mar 18, 2016
hmmm
Re: No Excuse For Dismissing Gender Equality Bill - PDP National Woman Leader's by Nobody: 5:40pm On Mar 18, 2016
GothamLuke:
There can never be true gender equality

I concur.
not in this same Africa...

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: No Excuse For Dismissing Gender Equality Bill - PDP National Woman Leader's by GothamLuke: 5:40pm On Mar 18, 2016
There can never be true gender equality
Re: No Excuse For Dismissing Gender Equality Bill - PDP National Woman Leader's by metrodirect: 5:40pm On Mar 18, 2016
hmmm
Re: No Excuse For Dismissing Gender Equality Bill - PDP National Woman Leader's by sweetcocoa(f): 5:41pm On Mar 18, 2016
It's now that you people just heard the news abi? I even wonder sef, do we as Nigerian women actually want equality? We are way too passive on the matter.

What am I even saying? Your pastors/Imams say you are unequal to a man, so how can you stand up to or challenge him? I just got to know today that, in Islam, if a woman wears perfume,walks by and a man perceives the fragrance, she automatically becomes an adulteress, that's just reasonable

All these celebrities are just disappointing, they can't even use their influence, do they even know what's happening in the country?

You are even pleading with them to consider the bill, what a joke. Go and roll on the floor, continue crying and pleading, this one is not nearly enough.

Nonsense.

8 Likes

Re: No Excuse For Dismissing Gender Equality Bill - PDP National Woman Leader's by seunlayi(m): 5:41pm On Mar 18, 2016
When madam buhari is bn turned to full house wife, who will help them to realise this demand?

6 Likes

Re: No Excuse For Dismissing Gender Equality Bill - PDP National Woman Leader's by badmrkt(m): 5:42pm On Mar 18, 2016
seriously i dont know what these women really want. the society favors them more when compared to their male counterparts, yet they still wanna act what they are not(men). for instance if a woman slaps a man, the society refers to her as 'a brave woman' but if a man does same, his ass$$$ gets thrown into jail. i'm not supporting violent against women, but they just have to accept they fact that what they are asking for is like trying to join two parallel lines together, which is not possible.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: No Excuse For Dismissing Gender Equality Bill - PDP National Woman Leader's by MRKELS1983(m): 5:42pm On Mar 18, 2016
She looks ill hpe she's ok....hpe these senators all gat daughters!!!
Re: No Excuse For Dismissing Gender Equality Bill - PDP National Woman Leader's by tofolo(m): 5:43pm On Mar 18, 2016
End time senators

1 Like

Re: No Excuse For Dismissing Gender Equality Bill - PDP National Woman Leader's by linusbnn(m): 5:43pm On Mar 18, 2016
Women are never equal to MEN. God is all-knowing nd he has never made a mistake

11 Likes

Re: No Excuse For Dismissing Gender Equality Bill - PDP National Woman Leader's by seunlayi(m): 5:43pm On Mar 18, 2016
Countdown to 2019.....but which party will help me unsit this APC

6 Likes

Re: No Excuse For Dismissing Gender Equality Bill - PDP National Woman Leader's by Viktor1983(m): 5:44pm On Mar 18, 2016
seunlayi:
Countdown to 2019.....but which party will help me unsit this APC

1 Like

Re: No Excuse For Dismissing Gender Equality Bill - PDP National Woman Leader's by yekparikpa(m): 5:44pm On Mar 18, 2016
My only fear is that our women might end up abusing this right.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: No Excuse For Dismissing Gender Equality Bill - PDP National Woman Leader's by arsenal33: 5:44pm On Mar 18, 2016
Some people pretending to fight for women.
What did they do for common women when they were in power?

2 Likes

Re: No Excuse For Dismissing Gender Equality Bill - PDP National Woman Leader's by RingimKabir(m): 5:44pm On Mar 18, 2016
Blame Buhari

I'm done!
Re: No Excuse For Dismissing Gender Equality Bill - PDP National Woman Leader's by Goddex: 5:45pm On Mar 18, 2016
[size=13pt]APC govt is a curse on Nigeria[/size]

6 Likes

Re: No Excuse For Dismissing Gender Equality Bill - PDP National Woman Leader's by olaolaking: 5:45pm On Mar 18, 2016
When the condition demands energy, Hard and dangerous situation, men are not the same but when it comes to enjoyment, they say there should be gender equality.

They have never come out to protest that only men were deployed to Sambisa forest and thereby demand that an equal number of women should be assigned.

When you want a night guard they will never apply. Yet they claim gender is equal.

Gender equality ko, gender equation ni

30 Likes 1 Share

Re: No Excuse For Dismissing Gender Equality Bill - PDP National Woman Leader's by Mergic(m): 5:46pm On Mar 18, 2016
Mama Naeto Cee...!!!

2 Likes

Re: No Excuse For Dismissing Gender Equality Bill - PDP National Woman Leader's by Kizyte(m): 5:46pm On Mar 18, 2016
Thank God they dismissed the bill, otherwise, women for start dey use us play football cos dem too dey over-do cheesy

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: No Excuse For Dismissing Gender Equality Bill - PDP National Woman Leader's by babyfaceafrica: 5:46pm On Mar 18, 2016
Gender equality ko....women right ni....I stand with equilty not equality

1 Like

Re: No Excuse For Dismissing Gender Equality Bill - PDP National Woman Leader's by seunlayi(m): 5:47pm On Mar 18, 2016
RingimKabir:
Blame Buhari

I'm done!
Seconded

4 Likes

Re: No Excuse For Dismissing Gender Equality Bill - PDP National Woman Leader's by hayordele1: 5:48pm On Mar 18, 2016
arsenal33:
Some people pretending to fight for women.
What did they do for common women when they were in power?
Help me ask her oooo

1 Like

Re: No Excuse For Dismissing Gender Equality Bill - PDP National Woman Leader's by Enesi13: 5:51pm On Mar 18, 2016
pls if you voted buhari be patient and dont rush to criticise as most top civil servants, economic and political elite are deliberately making economy and everything dificult just for the masses to see him as failure, the illegal money dats is always going somewhr is blocked and some stake holders created and unhealthy way of making petroleum scarce which cld result to decline in everything. pls this is not the time to regret voting buhari, atleast the national wealth is safe and even the most cronic anti buhari knows this, let us stand with buhari in dis trying time to stamp out corruption and insurgency of any type

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: No Excuse For Dismissing Gender Equality Bill - PDP National Woman Leader's by babaude1: 5:52pm On Mar 18, 2016
undecided
Re: No Excuse For Dismissing Gender Equality Bill - PDP National Woman Leader's by CookieBrown: 5:58pm On Mar 18, 2016
linusbnn:
Women are never equal to MEN. God is all-knowing nd he has never made a mistake

Black men can never be equal to white men. Afterall it is a white mans God you are serving, his clothes you wear, government you practice , education you benefit from. I wonder who's fooling who. Nigerians are the worst hypocrites on Mother Earth.

6 Likes

Re: No Excuse For Dismissing Gender Equality Bill - PDP National Woman Leader's by pipolad(m): 5:58pm On Mar 18, 2016
olaolaking:
When the condition demands energy, Hard and dangerous situation, men are not the same but when it comes to enjoyment, they say there should be gender equality.

They have never come out to protest that only men were deployed to Sambisa forest and thereby demand that an equal number of women should be assigned.

When you want a night guard they will never apply. Yet they claim gender is equal.

Gender equality ko, gender equation ni
the oracle has spoken

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: No Excuse For Dismissing Gender Equality Bill - PDP National Woman Leader's by irondome: 5:58pm On Mar 18, 2016
babyfaceafrica:
Gender equality ko....women right ni....I stand with equilty not equality

How do you have equity without equality?

3 Likes

Re: No Excuse For Dismissing Gender Equality Bill - PDP National Woman Leader's by nbright: 5:59pm On Mar 18, 2016
grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Court Affirms Kashamu As Ogun PDP Gov Candidate / Security Agents, Smugglers Worsen Subsidy Crisis, Flout Buhari’s Order / Fuel Subsidy: FG's Meeting With NLC Ends In Deadlock

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.