Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,722 members, 7,816,972 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:42 PM

Nigeria Court Jails Russians, Japenese, 10 Other Foreigners For Oil Smuggling - Crime (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Nigeria Court Jails Russians, Japenese, 10 Other Foreigners For Oil Smuggling (14860 Views)

Benue Court Jails Three Herdsmen / Rwandan Court Jails Nigerian Woman Over Drug Trafficking / Oyo Court Jails 10 Fraudsters For 17 Years (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Court Jails Russians, Japenese, 10 Other Foreigners For Oil Smuggling by Nobody: 6:27pm On Mar 19, 2016
smoothlips:
$10,000 alternative!!!!!! Am going into this biz...I can afford $10,000
don't mind dis yeye country of ours.

A 21 yrs US citizen stole a propaganda poster in his hotel room in north Korea and was caught and jailed for 15 yrs of hard labor and was made to publicly apologise to the Korean government which he did....imagine dat.

And in Nigeria a foreigner steal something dat belongs to the government and was jst given a two million naira fine.
Re: Nigeria Court Jails Russians, Japenese, 10 Other Foreigners For Oil Smuggling by Nobody: 6:31pm On Mar 19, 2016
You forget that Nigeria acquired everything they stole and also the vessel which by itself is likely worth millions of dollars.

However the fine is too small, it should be trebled, to be sufficent deterrent as these individuals probably each making approx $150,000 annually from these thefts.

ChokolateBoss:
1,738 tonnes of crude = 1,738,000kg
1,738,000kg of crude = 1,975,000litres
1,975,000litres = 12, 422 barrels.

As at time of arrest,
12,422 barrels = 12,422 x $54 = $670,788

4,500 tonnes of PMS = 4,500,000kg.
4,500,000 kg = 5,113,636.4 litres

At time of arrest,
5,113,636 litres = 5,113,636.4 x N86/197 = $2,232,349.

Total = $2,903,137 worth of oil for one trip.

And they were just fined $10,000 after one year of wasting time in court angryangryangry
So tell me why they won't continue to steal d oil.

And Nigerians are given life imprisonment or shot by firing squad when they're nabbed in these other countries.

Even d crude they don't manage to steal, after it gets sold, our own imbbeccile politicians will be here waiting to embezzle d money.
And when charged, will hire a crowd of idiotic SANs to defend dem.

Oil bunkery is d way to go

Re: Nigeria Court Jails Russians, Japenese, 10 Other Foreigners For Oil Smuggling by Nobody: 6:31pm On Mar 19, 2016
ShitHead:
Nigerian prison is like death sentence in their countries.

Well, they can mange the water-water soup and black eba there. RIP idiots.
if ur given two million naira fine and a two years jail term which would you prefer?.

Those guys are nt going to jail and after paying the fine they will keep stealing our oil.
Re: Nigeria Court Jails Russians, Japenese, 10 Other Foreigners For Oil Smuggling by George2016(m): 6:32pm On Mar 19, 2016
Good judgement.

But two years to me is too small.

bros make una enjoy kirkri small so that next time u will not try stopid act again......... naija nna ur mate?
Re: Nigeria Court Jails Russians, Japenese, 10 Other Foreigners For Oil Smuggling by Nobody: 6:37pm On Mar 19, 2016
The punishment is not enough deterrent, but the siezing of the vessel is the master stroke, these vessels must be worth millions of dollars and would take the vessel out of their use.
herbie27:
if ur given two million naira fine and a two years jail term which would you prefer?.

Those guys are nt going to jail and after paying the fine they will keep stealing our oil.
Re: Nigeria Court Jails Russians, Japenese, 10 Other Foreigners For Oil Smuggling by Godbless86: 6:50pm On Mar 19, 2016
2 million alternative. ..is just too low for the crime committed. ..what is wrong with our judiciary? Nigerians are maltreated abroad for just little crime. .
Re: Nigeria Court Jails Russians, Japenese, 10 Other Foreigners For Oil Smuggling by Nobody: 7:03pm On Mar 19, 2016
wastedsperm:
be ready for RUSSIAN nukes
You sound exactly like your name

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Court Jails Russians, Japenese, 10 Other Foreigners For Oil Smuggling by bid4rich(m): 7:10pm On Mar 19, 2016
I beg which prison dem go put them? Alagbon, Panti, or Kirikiri?
Re: Nigeria Court Jails Russians, Japenese, 10 Other Foreigners For Oil Smuggling by Nobody: 9:38pm On Mar 19, 2016
GenBuhari:
You forget that Nigeria acquired everything they stole and also the vessel which by itself is likely worth millions of dollars.

However the fine is too small, it should be trebled, to be sufficent deterrent as these individuals probably each making approx $150,000 annually from these thefts.

No Sir I didn't forget they acquired everytin.
Luk at it dis way:
U have a car which u use to pilfer valuable items of which just one or two trips of stealing can replace d cost of d car.
U carry out d illegal act for a while and when u're finally caught, d car and items inside it at dat particular moment are seized and u're fined just 0.34% of d value of d items in d car.

* $10,000 is abt 0.34% of d combined value of d PMS and crude*

Me thinks its like catching a thief who has robbed u mercilessly and u tickle him with a broom as punishment.
I suggest life imprisonment
Re: Nigeria Court Jails Russians, Japenese, 10 Other Foreigners For Oil Smuggling by Dohmeenick(m): 9:38pm On Mar 19, 2016
God has finally blessed Nigeria with sense...right,and courage..No more fear of the whites...
Re: Nigeria Court Jails Russians, Japenese, 10 Other Foreigners For Oil Smuggling by brownemmanuel43(m): 9:52pm On Mar 19, 2016
why $10;000 to compare wit the crime. Where are we heading to self. Just few people stole our oil, u are granting dem kobo, so so bad
Re: Nigeria Court Jails Russians, Japenese, 10 Other Foreigners For Oil Smuggling by CHARLOE(m): 11:34pm On Mar 19, 2016
popesam1:
This is good, those oyinbo should not take our country for granted.
plz read b4 commenting, non will go to jail dey can all afford d fine of $10k, wat a joke of a country!
Re: Nigeria Court Jails Russians, Japenese, 10 Other Foreigners For Oil Smuggling by popesam1(m): 11:36pm On Mar 19, 2016
CHARLOE:

plz read b4 commenting, non will go to jail dey can all afford d fine of $10k, wat a joke of a country!
Did I said they will go to jail, I think you are the one that should read before commenting
Re: Nigeria Court Jails Russians, Japenese, 10 Other Foreigners For Oil Smuggling by Abraham68: 11:39am On Mar 20, 2016
Sharp practices are unethical conducts, we should look into administering the equivalent punishment as if it were in there own countries for deterrents sake...
Re: Nigeria Court Jails Russians, Japenese, 10 Other Foreigners For Oil Smuggling by Irore: 3:07pm On Mar 20, 2016
kennynelcon:
A Nigerian court on Friday jailed 14 foreign sailors from Russia, Ukraine, Philippine and Japan between two and five years for unlawful dealing in petroleum products in the country.

The federal high court in Lagos found the suspects guilty of illegally transporting 1,738 tonnes of crude oil and some 4,500 tonnes of petrol, also called gasoline, in their vessel MT Anukpet Emerald.
Judge Ibrahim Buba sentenced 11 of the 14 foreigners to two years' jail or alternatively pay a fine of two million naira (10,000 dollars) each.

The remaining three -- all Russians -- were given five years each in absentia without an option of fine for jumping bail.

The court also ordered that the vessel and the seized petroleum products be forfeited to the Nigerian government.

The Nigerian navy arrested the sailors and the vessel in February 2015 and handed the case to the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) for prosecution.

It was not immediately clear if the products onboard the vessel were to be taken out of Nigeria and if so, to which country they were headed.

Nigeria, Africa's biggest oil producer loses billions of dollars each year from the theft of crude from sabotaged pipelines and illegal refining of oil products.

The oil is sold on the black market, depriving the continent's most populous state of an estimated $6 billion a year in lost revenue.

Convictions for oil smuggling are common but in most cases the offenders get away with a fine.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/03/nigeria-jails-14-foreigners-oil-smuggling/

Who granted bail to the Russians that are now at large? Ni....ge...ria, we hail thee.....
Re: Nigeria Court Jails Russians, Japenese, 10 Other Foreigners For Oil Smuggling by Nobody: 6:28pm On Mar 20, 2016
I agree tougher prison terms or alternate fines would be better ;
something like:
12 years prison or $150,000 fine would be more powerful deterrent.
ChokolateBoss:

No Sir I didn't forget they acquired everytin.
Luk at it dis way:
U have a car which u use to pilfer valuable items of which just one or two trips of stealing can replace d cost of d car.
U carry out d illegal act for a while and when u're finally caught, d car and items inside it at dat particular moment are seized and u're fined just 0.34% of d value of d items in d car.

* $10,000 is abt 0.34% of d combined value of d PMS and crude*

Me thinks its like catching a thief who has robbed u mercilessly and u tickle him with a broom as punishment.
I suggest life imprisonment

(1) (2) (Reply)

Kano Mother Kidnaps Daughter, Demands N3m From Husband / Obituary Poster Of 4 Family Members Who Died Of Poisoning In Ebonyi / Newborn Baby Dumped In Wastebin Found Dead In Calabar This Morning(pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.