Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,829 members, 7,817,424 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:02 PM

Benue Court Jails Three Herdsmen - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Benue Court Jails Three Herdsmen (13678 Views)

Niger: Court Sentences Three Herdsmen To Death By Hanging For Armed Robbery / Court Jails Three For Internet Fraud In Makurdi / Three Herdsmen Arrested For Running Livestock Brothels (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Benue Court Jails Three Herdsmen by Reportmusic(f): 5:34pm On Feb 23, 2018

A magistrates’ court in Makurdi, Benue state, on Friday handed a one-year jail sentence to three herders – Iliya Garba, Hassan Abdullahi, and Lanshak Lonfalk – for violating the law enacted in 2017.

The convicts were charged with criminal conspiracy and open nomadic livestock rearing and grazing.

The offences are punishable under sections 97 of the penal code and 19 (2) of the Open Grazing Prohibition Ranches Establishment Law of Benue, 2017.

Michael Iorundu, the prosecutor, told the court that the joint patrol team of “Operation Zenda”, led by Edward Shinyi, arrested the herders on February 18.

He said they were brought to the state criminal and investigation department, Makurdi.

“The team reported that the three herders, and others now at large, were openly grazing their cattle along Yeluwata Road in Guma local government area of Benue,” he said.

“When the case came up for mention, the herders pleaded guilty to the charge against them, saying that they were not aware that open grazing had been prohibited in Benue.”

Lillian Tsumba, the magistrate, said the herders were first offenders who were also illiterates and not even aware that open grazing has been prohibited in Benue.

Tsumba said a law such as open grazing prohibition required massive exposure and education of persons at the grassroots.

She, however, said “the law is law” and must be obeyed in spite ignorance.

The magistrate sentenced the herders to a year imprison each, with N500,000 option of fine each.

source
https://www.reportnaija.ng/2018/02/23/benue-court-jails-three-herdsmen/

cc lalasticlala

19 Likes

Re: Benue Court Jails Three Herdsmen by dlondonbadboy: 5:36pm On Feb 23, 2018
sad angry angry

1 Like

Re: Benue Court Jails Three Herdsmen by Nobody: 6:22pm On Feb 23, 2018
no need to jail them. kill the animals

23 Likes

Re: Benue Court Jails Three Herdsmen by BruncleZuma: 6:42pm On Feb 23, 2018
grin grin grin grin

18 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Benue Court Jails Three Herdsmen by splmosixx(m): 6:42pm On Feb 23, 2018
First to comment, angry angry grin grin

It is sure that this weekend is going to be good

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Benue Court Jails Three Herdsmen by nonut: 6:43pm On Feb 23, 2018
Just wait they will send someone from the presidency to bail them.
We've seen it all.

34 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Benue Court Jails Three Herdsmen by Peterpanny: 6:43pm On Feb 23, 2018
na today nyatch day for back.na them them,them go still release them after 2 weeks.
Re: Benue Court Jails Three Herdsmen by lordwizzy09(m): 6:43pm On Feb 23, 2018
pls who else got this invita"tion on mobile and email.

Inteview section with Workforce Group. 26th feb, 2018
Re: Benue Court Jails Three Herdsmen by Firefire(m): 6:43pm On Feb 23, 2018
60 years jail term!

3 Likes

Re: Benue Court Jails Three Herdsmen by NwaAmaikpe: 6:43pm On Feb 23, 2018
shocked

This is so unfair to the cows.
If their herdsmen are in jail, who will take care of the herd?

8 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Benue Court Jails Three Herdsmen by kolawoleibukun: 6:44pm On Feb 23, 2018
You do not jail serial terrorists like this. You roast them. who will be paying for their feeding na? na money from Kanu Nwankwo hotel dem won take day feed foreigners way come here come commit carnage? feed dem to the zoo and let others take note.

I still day wonder why apostle Suleiman go open omega fire otobo yarsh when he day insult T.B Joshua say Adeboye na his father in the lord.

why him no just be pastor for RCCG?

4 Likes

Re: Benue Court Jails Three Herdsmen by autotrader014(m): 6:44pm On Feb 23, 2018
Its ok

Check my signature..

Re: Benue Court Jails Three Herdsmen by rxmusa(m): 6:44pm On Feb 23, 2018
If they are the real culprits then they should be prosecuted but I do hope it's not innocents that are being used as scapegoats to hide wheelbarrow empowerer's ineptitude

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Benue Court Jails Three Herdsmen by tsmat(m): 6:44pm On Feb 23, 2018
this may trigger another set of attacks .....God save Nigeria.
Re: Benue Court Jails Three Herdsmen by Nobody: 6:44pm On Feb 23, 2018
They'll certainly bail them. It's a good step by Benue state though. I just hope their senior kinsmen won't order their comrades to resume the attacks on innocent and helpless Benue people.

3 Likes

Re: Benue Court Jails Three Herdsmen by jerflakes(m): 6:45pm On Feb 23, 2018
N500k and they're out?

angry

2 Likes

Re: Benue Court Jails Three Herdsmen by Daviddson(m): 6:45pm On Feb 23, 2018
OK
Re: Benue Court Jails Three Herdsmen by Pavore9: 6:46pm On Feb 23, 2018
One year jail term or N500k, fair enough.

1 Like

Re: Benue Court Jails Three Herdsmen by AnalTyrant1: 6:46pm On Feb 23, 2018
[color=#000099][/color][b][/b] a one year sentence is that one a sentence or a pretence
Re: Benue Court Jails Three Herdsmen by Aonkuuse(m): 6:46pm On Feb 23, 2018
waiting for retaliation from herdsmen

1 Like

Re: Benue Court Jails Three Herdsmen by CAPSLOCKED: 6:46pm On Feb 23, 2018
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

This is so unfair to the cows.
If their herdsmen are in jail, who will take care of the herd?

YOUR PRESIDENT IS THE GRAND PATRON OF COWS WORLDWIDE.

HE'LL TAKE CHARGE.

7 Likes

Re: Benue Court Jails Three Herdsmen by Nobody: 6:48pm On Feb 23, 2018
A
Re: Benue Court Jails Three Herdsmen by deji17: 6:50pm On Feb 23, 2018
Good move. Tomorrow, you will hear mischief makers says that no herdsmen has been arrested or convicted despite the fact that this case is not the first nor the second case of herdsman to be arrested and convicted.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Benue Court Jails Three Herdsmen by Phelix01(m): 6:53pm On Feb 23, 2018
I don't think our presido is aware of this. becos he hate when dey purnish Fulani herdsmen and their cows

2 Likes

Re: Benue Court Jails Three Herdsmen by englishmart(m): 6:53pm On Feb 23, 2018
This man is going to annoy the fulani president with this move

6 Likes

Re: Benue Court Jails Three Herdsmen by ELKHALIFAISIS(m): 6:59pm On Feb 23, 2018
our prison yards are congested already.. we don't have money to feed extra mouth.. just shoot them randomly lives move on
Re: Benue Court Jails Three Herdsmen by Gkay1(m): 6:59pm On Feb 23, 2018
every seconds in Nigeria, people commit different offence

1 Like

Re: Benue Court Jails Three Herdsmen by GreatXpectation: 7:07pm On Feb 23, 2018
Good day my fellow Nairalander's

First of all I will like to apologize for disturbing you with my problem, Like the saying goes, a problem shared is half solved!

I'm going through a very tough time for sometimes now, things are very hard for me to the extent that it is my wife that is taking the responsibilities of the house. I'm ashamed of myself but nothing I can do.
I'm not a lazy man, I have my handi-work (Printing Works) which I do to earn a living. But suddenly things change, after a while, that was around late last year, I borrowed money (#11,500+interest) from Paylater to clear some debts, but unfortunately for me am unable to refund the money back since then.
Recently I got a message from paylater that the loan I took was severely past due, that I should make a payment today to regularize it or I will be referred to their legal team for further action. and I know that this will be so embarassing. That's why I come on nairaland to seek for assistance

Recently I posted on a thread here "https://www.nairaland.com/4338339/labour-presents-new-minimum-wage/1" that i need a menial job, but unfortunately i couldn't get any.

Nairalander's please help me I beg you!

Bank
Union Bank of Nigeria

Acct No
0 0 0 6 5 7 1 5 7 0

email
olufunmisegz@gmail.com

Thanks in anticipation!
Re: Benue Court Jails Three Herdsmen by LZAA: 7:08pm On Feb 23, 2018
Reportmusic:

A magistrates’ court in Makurdi, Benue state, on Friday handed a one-year jail sentence to three herders – Iliya Garba, Hassan Abdullahi, and Lanshak Lonfalk – for violating the law enacted in 2017.

The convicts were charged with criminal conspiracy and open nomadic livestock rearing and grazing.

The offences are punishable under sections 97 of the penal code and 19 (2) of the Open Grazing Prohibition Ranches Establishment Law of Benue, 2017.

Michael Iorundu, the prosecutor, told the court that the joint patrol team of “Operation Zenda”, led by Edward Shinyi, arrested the herders on February 18.

He said they were brought to the state criminal and investigation department, Makurdi.

“The team reported that the three herders, and others now at large, were openly grazing their cattle along Yeluwata Road in Guma local government area of Benue,” he said.

“When the case came up for mention, the herders pleaded guilty to the charge against them, saying that they were not aware that open grazing had been prohibited in Benue.”

Lillian Tsumba, the magistrate, said the herders were first offenders who were also illiterates and not even aware that open grazing has been prohibited in Benue.

Tsumba said a law such as open grazing prohibition required massive exposure and education of persons at the grassroots.

She, however, said “the law is law” and must be obeyed in spite ignorance.

The magistrate sentenced the herders to a year imprison each, with N500,000 option of fine each.

source
https://www.reportnaija.ng/2018/02/23/benue-court-jails-three-herdsmen/

cc lalasticlala
headslammers and goblins wee not like this grin grin
Re: Benue Court Jails Three Herdsmen by benuejosh: 7:09pm On Feb 23, 2018
It was 40 YEARS and NOT One year as written here.
Re: Benue Court Jails Three Herdsmen by Sunnycliff(m): 7:11pm On Feb 23, 2018
Ortom is gradually building up great balls. That's the hallmark of a true leader.... Temerity

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Return Police Weapons In Your Custody Now Or..., Imo CP Warns Criminals / Man And His Friends Detained By Policemen At Ojuelegba Unit Without Charges / NYSC Members Killed In Bauchi Were PDP’s IT Consultants - CPC Spokesman

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.