Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,147 members, 7,818,442 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:58 PM

Lagos Employment Alleged Scam- Punch - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Lagos Employment Alleged Scam- Punch (3254 Views)

Efcc Raises Alarm Over Alleged Recruitment Scam / NSCDC Enlists Relatives Of Powerful Nigerians Through The Back Door - Punch / FG To Begin Recruitment Of 500,000 Teachers - Punch (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos Employment Alleged Scam- Punch by kingdolut: 8:39am On Mar 19, 2016
There is a report in Today's Saturday Punch about an alleged employment scam by a company in Lagos. The reporter Kunle Falayi claims that the company- Open Cloud Limited collects money from applicants for their training programs with the promise that they will secure employment upon completion of the program

Interesting read. Dont know what to make of it

In this report, KUNLE FALAYI gives an inside look at the workings of recruitment agencies fleecing unemployed youths with offers of jobs that never come

“Your application for the customer service position has been received. Come with your CV and passport photo to 634, Adeyemo Alakija Street, Victoria Island, Lagos by 11am on March 10. Be prepared for a CBT test. Call Mrs.*** on **** for eligibility.”

When Chisom Agu got the text message above from a company named Accugenix on Wednesday, March 9, she said she could almost hear her heartbeat pounding in her chest as her anticipation increased.

“I thought, ‘Yes, finally, a company in Victoria Island! I quickly said a word of prayer to God to make this one successful,” she said.

But what Agu did not know was that Accugenix has so many other names. Bidax Nigeria Limited, Open Cloud Communications Nigeria Limited, Rexa Corp, and Inexia are some of the fanciful names this company uses to make millions off unemployed Nigerian youths.

“To enhance job opportunities, you must be ready to undergo a 10-day intensive training,” the company said.

Official statistics put Nigeria’s unemployment rate at about 9.9 per cent in the fourth quarter of 2015. For some few dubious organisations, Nigeria’s unemployed and desperate population has simply become a goldmine.

Armed with a curriculum vitae that read Adebanjo Kayode Amos and passports as required along with a copy of the text from ‘the company’, our correspondent visited the office located on the ground floor of the Elephant Building, Adeyemo Alakija, a high rise housing numerous other companies in a very competitive location.

At the main gate of the building, the security men did not waste time in directing our correspondent to the ground floor office when they were told that it was about the job interview.

In the lobby of the building, another receptionist directed our correspondent to the entrance of the company where “people have been going for job interviews.” There, a uniformed guard, who doubled as the doorman stood like a sentry as he demanded to see the text message invitation for interview. As soon as he was shown the text message, the door opened without ceremony.

There, in the clean, glittering reception of “the company,” a pretty young lady, working the phone and a computer, demanded to see the text message in a very business-like manner.

But all the candidates our correspondent spoke with said after the two-week training, it is always a long wait for a job that never materialises.

Saturday PUNCH contacted all the numbers used by this recruitment agency in inviting candidates for interviews.

One of the company’s contacts, a lady identified as Gbemi eventually picked up. When asked about the manager of the agency, her reply was, “I am very busy now. I am even too tired to stand up and give the phone to the manager. Maybe you could call back tomorrow?” But when told that it was urgent and that it concerned the activities of their company and allegations of job scam, she said, “Please, send a text message about the issue, I will show it to him and he would call you back later.”

More agencies, more scams

But Accengix with its string of aliases, is not the only one involved in this scheme. Saturday PUNCH learnt that the issue of texts messages of unsolicited job offers and interviews has become an increasing annoyance in Lagos and many other parts of the country.

Another company, which job seekers made allegations of job scam against is Ranstard Dynamic Resources Limited, an agency operating on the ground floor of an old building at 16 Ondo Street, off Apapa Road, Costain area of Lagos.

This company too uses the strategy of sending unsolicited interview invitations to job seekers.

One of the candidates, who was forced to answer the unsolicited “job offer” invitation, Tope Gholagun, told our correspondent of a scheme which saw her having to listen to a seminar talk from about six different “resource persons.”

“The first day I went there, we were about 25. At one point in the ‘recruitment process,’ they started to play us business motivational speeches. I asked what they do and one of them said they were into IT, safety and business management.

“They said we would go through an interview with their MD but that never happened. Later, after all the speeches, which were aimed at winning us over, they finally brought out a training form, which we would pay N13,500. I went there for about three times during the whole process out of curiosity. They later sent me a text that I should come for an induction. But it was clear they had no job to offer us.”

Our correspondent contacted one of the phone numbers attached to the messages Ranstard sent out and a man identified as Sylvester denied any form of scam in their operation. He said, “We are involved in GNLD marketing and we make it clear to appplicants when they come that they would be marketing GNLD products. But one of the applicants who went for the job said she was told nothing of such.

Asked his company sourced for the phone numbers of job seekers who got text messages even though they never applied for the job there, he said, “Do we force anybody to pay anything? If they did not apply to our company, how would they have got text messages inviting them for job interviews then?”

Source: http://www.punchng.com/inside-lagos-multimillion-naira-job-scam-office/

Cc: Lalasticlala, Obinoscopy, Mynd44, Oam4j

Come see oooo

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Employment Alleged Scam- Punch by jsophie: 8:41am On Mar 19, 2016
na wa o

where is the link?
Re: Lagos Employment Alleged Scam- Punch by ray84: 8:41am On Mar 19, 2016
which kin thing be this
Re: Lagos Employment Alleged Scam- Punch by doreminelson: 8:42am On Mar 19, 2016
I can't see it well
Re: Lagos Employment Alleged Scam- Punch by cokerbku: 8:45am On Mar 19, 2016
Mmmmmmmmph
Re: Lagos Employment Alleged Scam- Punch by sophiasuccess96: 8:45am On Mar 19, 2016
I want to read this story

I cant see it online
Re: Lagos Employment Alleged Scam- Punch by delishpot: 8:46am On Mar 19, 2016
It is scam na. Just call it what it is
Re: Lagos Employment Alleged Scam- Punch by djmojijaiye: 8:46am On Mar 19, 2016
I just read this on punch now .... is this for real
Re: Lagos Employment Alleged Scam- Punch by doctore89: 8:47am On Mar 19, 2016
this naija sha this naija sha
Re: Lagos Employment Alleged Scam- Punch by cokerbku: 8:48am On Mar 19, 2016
Ehen.. Okay
Re: Lagos Employment Alleged Scam- Punch by subszydel: 8:48am On Mar 19, 2016
Have, Naija I hail o
Re: Lagos Employment Alleged Scam- Punch by leymercy: 8:49am On Mar 19, 2016
Na wa, nigerians will never stop amazing me oooo
Re: Lagos Employment Alleged Scam- Punch by doctore89: 8:49am On Mar 19, 2016
djmojijaiye:
I just read this on punch now .... is this for real

will read later
Re: Lagos Employment Alleged Scam- Punch by tolsijuade(f): 8:50am On Mar 19, 2016
Could this be real
Re: Lagos Employment Alleged Scam- Punch by cokerbku: 8:50am On Mar 19, 2016
Ekaro everyone
Re: Lagos Employment Alleged Scam- Punch by janewasiu: 8:50am On Mar 19, 2016
Full gist pls
Re: Lagos Employment Alleged Scam- Punch by folahope: 8:50am On Mar 19, 2016
Hmmmm,this is not true
Re: Lagos Employment Alleged Scam- Punch by wunmishede: 8:51am On Mar 19, 2016
# Gbam#I can't believe this...I think this reporter is hungry
Re: Lagos Employment Alleged Scam- Punch by tiwatinu: 8:51am On Mar 19, 2016
O LORD
Re: Lagos Employment Alleged Scam- Punch by janewasiu: 8:51am On Mar 19, 2016
Am yet to lay my hands on punch
Re: Lagos Employment Alleged Scam- Punch by bixolfem: 8:51am On Mar 19, 2016
you say what?
Re: Lagos Employment Alleged Scam- Punch by jkorakwue: 8:52am On Mar 19, 2016
oga juuuu how is this happpening in nigeria
Re: Lagos Employment Alleged Scam- Punch by cokerbku: 8:53am On Mar 19, 2016
O boy whr the tym to read all this na..
Re: Lagos Employment Alleged Scam- Punch by tolsijuade(f): 8:53am On Mar 19, 2016
What I can gather is that they are into customer training

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lagos Employment Alleged Scam- Punch by folahope: 8:53am On Mar 19, 2016
I wander y someone will just wake up one morning and start saying all this wen my friend that trained with them has gotten an opportunity although I no go lie it took some weeks
Re: Lagos Employment Alleged Scam- Punch by janewasiu: 8:53am On Mar 19, 2016
So
Re: Lagos Employment Alleged Scam- Punch by cokerbku: 8:54am On Mar 19, 2016
Make I do small research myself
Re: Lagos Employment Alleged Scam- Punch by doreminelson: 8:54am On Mar 19, 2016
cc: lalasticlala grin
Re: Lagos Employment Alleged Scam- Punch by ray84: 8:54am On Mar 19, 2016
Let me get my tea, brb
Re: Lagos Employment Alleged Scam- Punch by subszydel: 8:55am On Mar 19, 2016
Make I go buy paper sharply
Re: Lagos Employment Alleged Scam- Punch by tolsijuade(f): 8:55am On Mar 19, 2016
I just called my cousin who works on the same building and she says the story is not true. They basically train for customer. Service
Re: Lagos Employment Alleged Scam- Punch by johnogroh: 8:55am On Mar 19, 2016
I Dont think this true oh a church member went there and got several job interviews after her training....

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Recruitment For Male And Female Customer Care Representatives With Good Pay. / Rossland Group Fresh Job Recruitment (13 Positions) / Office-based Sales Representative Job Vacancy At Maersk Line

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.