Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,600 members, 7,851,046 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 12:37 PM

Islamization: Afikpo Igbos Are 80 Percent Muslims - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Islamization: Afikpo Igbos Are 80 Percent Muslims (23506 Views)

Ebonyi Lawmaker Afikpo Strips,teaches How To Give Man Head In US(Pics,Video / Wanted Dimka Lured To Afikpo Due To Lust For Girlfriend / Massive Protest In Afikpo, Ebonyi Against EEDC (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Islamization: Afikpo Igbos Are 80 Percent Muslims by mandarin: 9:04pm On Mar 19, 2016
This discussion is somehow childish. I don't think there's any restriction on religion in Nigeria and its amazing someone can plan to shut somebody out because of what he/she is!
Jesus Christ my Lord love non Christians, He preached the Kingdom to them. How many people that Jesus healed in d Bible profess Christianity?
How many of d so called Igbo Christians have the spirit of God, the Holy spirit in them? When you tell lie in businesses, do rituals and engage in destructive enterprise and still go to church on Sunday what make u a Christian in that?
I have a respected boss from Borno state and had met Musa from Katsina both are epitome of good Christianity, no shady deals, no cheating others, they didn't even have to tell u they were Christians, you just see it in them and to many of u claiming Christ on ethnic ground, Christ isn't ethnocentric, He want to dwell in your heart not on your lips!

3 Likes

Re: Islamization: Afikpo Igbos Are 80 Percent Muslims by blackmatter007: 9:07pm On Mar 19, 2016
cheruv:

O nweghi Igbo o bu.. angry

Nna iwe NE ewem..

E chetara Bi.afra.rep.ublic smiley

E chetara willow NWA nnegi nwoke
Re: Islamization: Afikpo Igbos Are 80 Percent Muslims by blackmatter007: 9:08pm On Mar 19, 2016
mandarin:
This discussion is somehow childish. I don't think there's any restriction on religion in Nigeria and its amazing someone can plan to shut somebody out because of what he/she is!
Jesus Christ my Lord love non Christians, He preached the Kingdom to them. How many people that Jesus healed in d Bible profess Christianity?
How many of d so called Igbo Christians have the spirit of God, the Holy spirit in them? When you tell lie in businesses, do rituals and engage in destructive enterprise and still go to church on Sunday what make u a Christian in that?
I have a respected boss from Borno state and had met Musa from Katsina both are epitome of good Christianity, no shady deals, no cheating others, they didn't even have to tell u they were Christians, you just see it in them and to many of u claiming Christ on ethnic ground, Christ isn't ethnocentric, He want to dwell in your heart not on your lips!

Get lost!

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Islamization: Afikpo Igbos Are 80 Percent Muslims by cheruv: 10:11pm On Mar 19, 2016
blackmatter007:

Nna iwe NE ewem..

E chetara Bi.afra.rep.ublic smiley

E chetara willow NWA nnegi nwoke
shockedshockedshocked

O vu gi nwe usoro aha willow ndi ahu Gini mere ya?
Re: Islamization: Afikpo Igbos Are 80 Percent Muslims by Nobody: 11:37pm On Mar 19, 2016
Igobang:

Personally, i don't see how igbos will ever be muslim on this Earth.

They detest the religion of Islam.

That is y i told the op that he is on a lonnnnnnnng thiiiinnnnngggg!

I know he is a YAM, but somethings are not meant to be and igbos as muslim is one of them.

Even with force igbos cannot be muslims, wat will happen is dey get Biafra.

Catholic Church is still more powerful and influential than Mecca.
Preach it bro!

1 Like

Re: Islamization: Afikpo Igbos Are 80 Percent Muslims by Nobody: 11:45pm On Mar 19, 2016
months:

They are less than 1% to be sincere. Unless u are counting Northerners in the East as igbos. The entire Igbo population is 95% Christian, 4.5% Traditionalist.

There are more pagans than muslim, and we prefer the pagans to the muslims.
LOL

2 Likes

Re: Islamization: Afikpo Igbos Are 80 Percent Muslims by Curlieweed: 12:22am On Mar 20, 2016
mandarin:
I have a respected boss from Borno state and had met Musa from Katsina both are epitome of good Christianity, no shady deals, no cheating others, they didn't even have to tell u they were Christians, you just see it in them and to many of u claiming Christ on ethnic ground, [b]Christ isn't ethnocentric, [/b]He want to dwell in your heart not on your lips!

The highlighted is the problem I have with modern Africans who defend illogical foreign religions no one understands. On the contrary, Jesus WAS ethnocentric!

Look at this verse:

Matthew 15:22-28 A Canaanite woman from that vicinity came to him, crying out, “Lord, Son of David, have mercy on me! My daughter is suffering terribly from demon-possession.” Jesus did not answer a word. So his disciples came to him and urged him, “Send her away, for she keeps crying out after us.” He answered, “I was sent only to the lost sheep of Israel.” The woman came and knelt before him. “Lord, help me!” she said. He replied, “It is not right to take the children’s bread and toss it to their dogs.” “Yes, Lord,” she said, “but even the dogs eat the crumbs that fall from their masters’ table.”

If I called you a dog because we didn't share the same ethnicity, what would that make me?

1 Like

Re: Islamization: Afikpo Igbos Are 80 Percent Muslims by Nobody: 12:40am On Mar 20, 2016
udumosam23:
Op, stop lying. There is an Islamic school school true, but it does not affect the christian population that much.

The only thing that is affecting us here in Afikpo is absence of light.

I don't seem to get it when there is light from Abakelike to Abaomege, and Uburu in ohaozara to Amenu, sometimes Amasiri, yet there won't be light at Afikpo, we see light once in a month. I'm about to create this as a topic to find out why.

So, if you wants to speak on anything affecting Afikpo, start with light I'll listen to
You.
does Abaomege supplies Ugep cross river state light?
Re: Islamization: Afikpo Igbos Are 80 Percent Muslims by pheliciti: 1:18am On Mar 20, 2016
blackmatter007:
"My brother there is another big developments that our igbo people don't seem to see, Afikpo people are now about 80% mulims with big Islamic center funded from Saudi Arabia. It's another ticking bomb right under our ass, no body seems to say anything about it."

Those were the exact words of an igbo man on vanguard forum. If it is true then there is a big problem, bigger than we thought.

Anyone from ebonyi, please come and refute this claim ooo, I hope it is just a rumour.

See your bigotry? You are threatened because a mosque is built in Iboland yet you are allowed to build numerous churches in the North and South West. Tell me, who has a problem? Who is intolerant? You or the Hausaman?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Islamization: Afikpo Igbos Are 80 Percent Muslims by dokiOloye(m): 3:42am On Mar 20, 2016
PentiumPro:
Igbos hate Islam with a passion
Hausa/Fulain hates Christianity with passion.
Any country that such two tendencies exist would never know peace among the citizens and there will forever be mutual suspicion leading to lack of progress.
point of correction.
Igbos don't hate Islam or any religion for that matter,we no just send them,das all.
If Igbos hated muslims,U would have been seeing mindless violence directed at them like d muslims do up north but U can agree wt me that in spite of the cyclical violence directed at Igbos in d north from even d pre independence time,U hardly hear of reprisals in Igbo land.
Igbos don't shed blood easily,even armed robbers in Igbo land take care not to kill their victims.

1 Like

Re: Islamization: Afikpo Igbos Are 80 Percent Muslims by Nobody: 3:49am On Mar 20, 2016
No be only muslim, even buddhist follw join
Re: Islamization: Afikpo Igbos Are 80 Percent Muslims by betterABIAstate: 6:16am On Mar 20, 2016
I have met lot of people from afikpo but none were Muslims. Where is your figure coming from?
Re: Islamization: Afikpo Igbos Are 80 Percent Muslims by hurricaneChris: 6:41am On Mar 20, 2016
mandarin:

Just keep quiet if you have anything to say.
We cherish human lives alot, any religion or association that treats human lives with little regards should abolished in Igboland......including your bloodsucking Islam.

I dont support biafr@ presently, if I get guarantee that the following will happen in the "new country", I could join the campaign.

1. Being a muslim gets you life jail.

2. Wearing long beard and "tebliq" (three-quater trouser) together gets you 14yrs in jail.

3. Caught with koran in ur possession, 14 yrs jail.

4. Using islam names as nicknames, gets u 3 yrs jail

5. Building a mosque in igboland, life jail.

6. Anything islam must be seriously proscribed.

And please dont delude yourselves on yorubas being religious tolerant. Maybe those who live outside yoruba land can be told that, not someone like me who schooled in yoruba land.
I have yoruba friends who wont even accept anything from a fellow yoruba, because he's a muslim. Especially during ramadan.

Those days at students fellowship, a room mate of mine who happened to be the VP of Redeemed students fellowship, hated any Muslims with passion, including fellow yorubas.

Finally, there is an architect on lagos mainland, a yoruba, an alhaji who will NEVER take a Christian in his firm. Be it hausa, igbo or Yoruba. This man had been the NIA chief in lagos. Very influential architect

2 Likes

Re: Islamization: Afikpo Igbos Are 80 Percent Muslims by aye9ice007(m): 7:30am On Mar 20, 2016
Igobang:

Personally, i don't see how igbos will ever be muslim on this Earth.

They detest the religion of Islam.

That is y i told the op that he is on a lonnnnnnnng thiiiinnnnngggg!

I know he is a YAM, but somethings are not meant to be and igbos as muslim is one of them.

Even with force igbos cannot be muslims, wat will happen is dey get Biafra.

Catholic Church is still more powerful and influential than Mecca.
oponu ayirada

1 Like

Re: Islamization: Afikpo Igbos Are 80 Percent Muslims by cheruv: 8:52am On Mar 20, 2016
hurricaneChris:

Just keep quiet if you have anything to say.
We cherish human lives alot, any religion or association that treats human lives with little regards should abolished in Igboland......including your bloodsucking Islam.

I dont support biafr@ presently, if I get guarantee that the following will happen in the "new country", I could join the campaign.

1. Being a muslim gets you life jail.

2. Wearing long beard and "tebliq" (three-quater trouser) together gets you 14yrs in jail.

3. Caught with koran in ur possession, 14 yrs jail.

4. Using islam names as nicknames, gets u 3 yrs jail

5. Building a mosque in igboland, life jail.

6. Anything islam must be seriously proscribed

And please dont delude yourselves on yorubas being religious tolerant. Maybe those who live outside yoruba land can be told that, not someone like me who schooled in yoruba land.
I have yoruba friends who wont even accept anything from a fellow yoruba, because he's a muslim. Especially during ramadan.

Those days at students fellowship, a room mate of mine who happened to be the VP of Redeemed students fellowship, hated any Muslims with passion, including fellow yorubas.

Finally, there is an architect on lagos mainland, a yoruba, an alhaji who will NEVER take a Christian in his firm. Be it hausa, igbo or Yoruba. This man had been the NIA chief in lagos. Very influential architect

In Igbo, we call Islam Alakuba,which is derived from their rallying cry Allah Akbar...
All your conditions are already in the manifesto of all Biafran irredentist organisations.
Ya mere nwannem, soro ndi nāgba mbo ihü na Biāfra loghachiri ozo. Ndi Alakuba bu ndi ajuru aju,ha agaghi e nwe onodu na Oke Oha Zayoni ke Biāfra nābiani cool

2 Likes

Re: Islamization: Afikpo Igbos Are 80 Percent Muslims by teufelein(f): 10:30pm On Mar 20, 2016
[size=18pt]Ebonyi State and Tower of babel[/size]

South eastern states of Nigeria are people of very high pedigree, they are Igbo people. They are well known for their doggedness in the face of excruciating and inconvenience situation. This was brought to fore during and after Biafra war. Most ammunitions and warfare used to persecute the war against Nigeria and their foreign allies were built and manufactured in Biafra land. Economic strangulation and blockage of Biafra republic masterminded by Nigeria did not deter Igbo people from fighting against injustice and oppression meted against her by their Hausa neighbors. After the war, Nigeria state policies were skewed against Igbos.

Powerful state machinery was deplored to pauperize and make Igbos to remain in perpetual state of poverty. There was a state policy that every Igbo person should be given 20 pounds irrespective of how much he/she had in the account; this was Chief Awolowo brain child. Again Awolowo initiated and implemented indigenization program which placed all state owned properties in the hands of his Yoruba people. It did not end there, as they tend to create perpetual enmity between Igbos and their brothers in Rivers state by promulgating abandoned property law which empowers the state to confiscate Igbo properties left behind before the war. In my panoramic observation of current political happenings in Nigeria, I cannot help but say that Gowon should be enjoying his one Nigeria.

Nigeria has initiated, devised and deplored all the instrumentality of manipulation at her disposal to suppress Igbos and change their destiny by force but chemistry Le Chatelier's principle states that when there is an external constraint on a system, a behavioral shift in the system occurs so as to annul the effect of that change. Nigeria state is like bull in the China shop in search of effective and more potent policy to apply against Igbos.

read more at: http://nigeriamasterweb.com/Masterweb/MasterwebMobileNews.php?rss_id=MzAz

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Islamization: Afikpo Igbos Are 80 Percent Muslims by teufelein(f): 10:49pm On Mar 20, 2016
[size=18pt]Igboland to get Islamic University (to be located in Afikpo, Ebonyi State) •Boasts the best Islamic secondary school in Nigeria[/size]

http://newsexpressngr.com/news/detail.php?news=5362
Re: Islamization: Afikpo Igbos Are 80 Percent Muslims by teufelein(f): 10:58pm On Mar 20, 2016
[size=18pt]Islam in Igboland:[/size]

Lessons in History

Author:
Rev. Fr. C. Aham Nnorom, Ph.D.

“Ọkwa lewere ọkụkọ nga ana abọ ya na achị.
Ọkụkọ sị ya, achịla.
Na aka eji abọ ya ka aga eji bọọ gi.” ~~ Igbo Proverb

“The bush fowl saw the chicken being carved up and laughed.
The chicken told the bush fowl to stop laughing. For the same hands now carving up the chicken would be used to carve up the bush fowl”
~~ Igbo Proverb Interpreted

http://writersblock.biafranigeriaworld.com/revnnorom/2003apr25.html
Re: Islamization: Afikpo Igbos Are 80 Percent Muslims by teufelein(f): 11:07pm On Mar 20, 2016
....continue

ABSTRACT:

Many scholars, including those of Igbo extraction, have been concerned with the resurgence of militant Islam in the Sudan, Indonesia, Palestine, and in the northern states of Nigeria. An increase of academic interest in Islamism and terrorism is noticeable since the bombings of US embassies in Nairobi and Dares Salaam, of the US warship Cole, and most importantly, the attacks on the World Trade Center, the Pentagon, and the ongoing war against terrorism. In Nigeria, in particular, while most scholarly and media attention has been focused on Christian-Muslim dialogue, Sharia and the violence it incited, very little is known about the danger lurking within Igboland: the phenomenal increase in the number of Igbo Moslems and mosques, an incredible development unknown before the Nigeria-Biafra War.

This paper examines a bitter historical irony: That while Ndigbo are being religiously, ethnically and economically cleansed from the predominantly Islamic states of Nigeria, Igbo Imams, Sheiks, Alahajis, Alhajas and mosques, once few and exotic, are now a common sight in one of the most homogeneous Christian regions in Africa. It argues that the quiet, secretive but aggressive Islamization and Arabization of AlaIgbo is a clear and present danger to Igbo interests and survival; and suggests countermeasures that would protect Igbo interests and assure the nation’s survival.

CAVEAT ON METHODOLOGY

This study is limited and preliminary for four reasons. First, given the secrecy and almost cult- like nature of Islamic operations in AlaIgbo, it was virtually impossible to get any of the Muslim leaders - Igbo and non-Igbo - to release relevant information on the size of their membership, their religious, educational, charitable, and proselytizing activities; their sources of funding is also a closely guarded secret. Moreover, virtually all the Igbo Muslim leaders who could have provided relevant information were on pilgrimage to Mecca during the research; and they refused to be interviewed on their return. Second, it was equally extremely difficult to glean information even from Igbo residents of areas with Muslim institutions: Most of them – even including bishops, priests/pastors and laity- knew very little about the activities of their Muslim neighbors. In fact it was shocking to learn that many Igbo were unaware that an Igbo Moslem, Alhaji Yahaya Ndu, was running for the Nigerian presidency under the African Renaissance Party.

Third, a more in-depth and substantive work will require extra time, resources, and more ingenious investigative capabilities. Fourth, this study was, unfortunately, hindered by tragedy: As this writer’s main researcher was returning from one of his field interviews in Afikpo, he was waylaid by a band of armed robbers, severely beaten, robbed, and left for dead on the road; the teenage and heavily- armed bandits drove away in his car.

Islam in Igboland is divided into seven parts: Caveat on Methodology, Introduction, Lessons from History, Islam in Nigeria, Islam in Igboland, Islamic Weltanschauung, and Epilogue. While it has as its primary focus the danger posed by the increasing numbers of Igbo Muslim converts, it will, nonetheless, deal, tangentially, with at least a group of Moslem strangers in our midst- the Hausas of Rivers State; the “Meguards,” who are scattered all over AlaIgbo, keeping watch over the homes of many absentee Igbo landlords, the “nnama” traders who have developed important business links with Ndigbo, powerful Muslim oil tycoons plying their trade from Port Harcourt, and other foreign Moslems, will be excluded .

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Islamization: Afikpo Igbos Are 80 Percent Muslims by LordEmperoris1(m): 11:09pm On Mar 20, 2016
blackmatter007:
"My brother there is another big developments that our igbo people don't seem to see, Afikpo people are now about 80% mulims with big Islamic center funded from Saudi Arabia. It's another ticking bomb right under our ass, no body seems to say anything about it."

Those were the exact words of an igbo man on vanguard forum. If it is true then there is a big problem, bigger than we thought.

Anyone from ebonyi, please come and refute this claim ooo, I hope it is just a rumour.
pure lies.

So because there is an Islamic school means everybody that area are Muslim.. I attend unwana poly close to there, i don't even think igbo people attend the school

1 Like

Re: Islamization: Afikpo Igbos Are 80 Percent Muslims by teufelein(f): 11:12pm On Mar 20, 2016
...continue

INTRODUCTION

“Ndigbo nọ na nsegbu.” 1 (The Igbo are in trouble.) That is how a foremost Igbo historian and scholar describes the present state of the Igbo nation. But that, however, is an understatement. We are not merely in trouble, Ndigbo are in a crisis, undoubtedly, the most serious socio-economic, political, cultural, and religious crisis in our history. It is not within the purview of this paper to enumerate the tragedies that have befallen our people prior to the Nigeria-Biafra War and since the end of that long forgotten holocaust: of the gory massacres documented by the Onyiuke Tribunal. 2 and A Call for Reparation and Restitution submitted by Ohaneze to the Oputa Panel, 3 of mass starvation and the Nigerian war of genocide that consumed about 2 million Biafran lives, of the cyclic and systematic killings by Muslim militants symbolized by the gruesome beheading of Gideon Akaluka in 1994, of the shootings and assassinations of hundreds of MASSOB activists by the Nigerian police, especially the recent Onuimo Massacre, in which about 300 members were either killed or injured and 200 arrested, including their leader, Uwazuruike; of the general insecurity in Igboland, especially the phenomenal increase of police- induced armed robbery in churches and rectories, and, finally, of the diabolical attempt by various Nigerian regimes to reduce Ndigbo to a caucus of petty traders cursed with impassable roads, a people mired in social, economic and political immobility.

All the same, it is, however, in the cultural and religious realms that we face the greatest danger to our survival as a people. Culturally, the Igbo are an endangered species, a gloomy and frightening prospect that is a product of the increasing criminal neglect of the Igbo language and heritage by the Igbo themselves. But even by far more troubling is the state of our double religious heritage: Traditional Igbo Religion (TIR- also known as Odinani) and Christianity. The former is gradually becoming extinct, while the latter is yet to be fully born. Thus we are an “usuistic people,” (like ụsụ, the bat- neither “an air nor a land animal”) – confused, divided and caught between the primal and irresistible force of our ancestral faith and the young and brash attractions and promises of a novel and universal religion. In fact the present state of Christianity in Igboland is not unlike the situation in North Africa before the Islamic conquest: Booming and prosperous in terms of numbers and physical infrastructures but foreign and weak in terms of spiritual compatibility with Igbo culture. This is because Christianity, the overwhelmingly predominant religion of Ndigbo, is yet to become Igbo culture. And until religion becomes culture, it lacks the spiritual, philosophical and ideological powers that facilitate its ability to discharge its social and historic functions, especially in times of crisis. Three of these key functions are the mobilization and defense of an oppressed people as well as the authority to issue and enforce sanctions. Other than its otherworldly role to “save souls,” an authentic religion has also a secular obligation: to promote and protect group interests, especially when other traditional institutions are incapable of doing so. Indeed the root of contemporary Igbo problem is the inability of either Traditional Igbo Religion or Christianity to perform this critical function.

“Turning and turning in the widening gyre
The falcon can not hear the falconer;
Thing fall apart, the center can not hold;
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world.”

Scholars of the religious conflict in Nigeria, while generally acknowledging the religious “divide” between Nigerian Christians and Muslims have, nonetheless, been overly concerned with two issues: religious dialogue and Sharia. Kukah is apologetic about Islamic violence in Nigeria, attributing it to the repressive nature of military dictatorships that deny Muslims access to other channels of organized opposition; 5 he sees dialogue as the only solution to the problem. Soyinka, a proponent of religious tolerance, sees the introduction of Sharia as an attempt by Northern Nigerian Muslims to “create a religious-political albatross by creating a religious pretext for their dashed hopes.” 6 Ubaka, a priest and Islamic scholar, outlines the negative implications of the recent introduction of Sharia in Nigeria for non-Christians. 7 While for Kenny, 8 Akintunde, 9 Onaiyekan 10 and others, the intensification of dialogue is also the only solution to Muslim attacks on Nigerian Christians.

Unfortunately, like their Western contemporaries, none of the proponents of dialogue admits the failure of Christian-Muslim dialogue in Nigeria in spite of decades of active inter religious engagements at meetings and conferences on state, federal and international levels. In fact none of them has proposed coherent Christian countermeasures to deal with a resurgent, rampaging and violent Islam that has massacred thousands of people, destroyed property worth billions of dollars, and vowed to turn Nigeria into an Islamic Republic. With the exception of the robust resistance of some Northern Nigerian Christians and Igbo co-religionists to Sharia and Islamic violence since the return of “democracy”, most Nigerian Churches, often boasting significant numbers of Islamic scholars, have woefully failed in their role as the “good shepherds”. In fact they have manifested a troubling lack of will to prevent rampaging packs of Islamist “wolves” from destroying incredible numbers of churches and ecclesiastical institutions as well as slaughtering and scattering thousands of their flock.

Under Obasanjo, “the born-again” Christian, most of the Church leaders have manifested incredible naivete hoping that unlike previous Muslim- dominated Nigeria regimes, they would be provided with adequate security under a “Christian” president. Worse still, Igbo Church leaders, whose people constitute the overwhelming majority of the victims of Islamic violence, have been unable to devise an action plan to protect the people. This paper will analyze the danger posed by militant Islam in Igboland and suggest countermeasures that would assure Igbo survival.
Re: Islamization: Afikpo Igbos Are 80 Percent Muslims by teufelein(f): 6:17am On Mar 21, 2016
RELIGION AND SOCIETY

Generally, while the otherworldly concerns of religion have been noted, 11 theological studies and the social sciences have over the years amassed a vast quantity of information and speculation about the influence of religious power in society. 12 Thus, as arguably the “most powerful and pervasive force on earth,” 13 and potentially the primary source of crisis and stability in the new century, religion’s place in the world is understandably controversial. Consequently, scholars have posited both positive and negative opinions as to the proper role of religion in society. Some of its basic and progressive functions include: To “to unite its believers with a supreme center of loyalties,” to “interpret political loyalty as a religious obligation, as a sanctuary from political conflict, as a reconciler of political conflict,” 13 and as the last line of defense for a culture. Religion can also become evil, 14 and act “as a sanction for political conflict, as a source of political conflict,” 15 and the engine of genocide and terrorism. There are also those who would exclude religion from the public square, arguing that as a private affair, it should play no overtly public role in a secular society. 16 Some scholars even once claimed that religion was dead.

But rumors about religion’s demise and the purported triumph of scientism, materialism, technology and the promise of endless progress, have been over exaggerated. Scholars have identified the 1970’s as the beginning of the “La Revanche de Dieu” (the Revenge of God), a period marking the end of the global trend toward secularization, the “return to the sacred,” and a robust and universal reassertion of religion in public affairs. 17 This religio redivivus (religion- come-back- to-life) has had a global impact on Christianity, Judaism, and Islam, leading in 1977 to the victory of Menachem Begin, the pro religious Likud Party candidate, over the secularist Israeli Labor Party; In 1978, Carol Wojtyla became Pope John Paul, and began the movement to bring to an end the doctrinal and liturgical confusion created by the aggiornamento (updating) of Vatican 11; Ayatollah Khomeini returned to Teheran in February 1979, and established the Islamic Republic of Iran. 18

In an important article entitled “ The Next Christianity, ” Philip Jenkins makes a prediction: “ The twenty-first century will almost certainly be regarded by future historians as a century in which religion replaced ideology as the prime animating and destructive force in human affairs, guiding attitudes to political liberty and obligation, concepts of nationhood, and, of course, conflicts and wars. ” 19 According to him, the centers of gravest state weakness are often the “regions in which political loyalties are secondary to religious beliefs, either Muslim or Christian, and these are the terms in which people define their identities.” (A 2000 Arizona State University Study by Prof. Kevin Ellsworth found that to be the case in Nigeria) Jenkins opines that across Africa, one of the critical issues to be faced by governments will be “ whether Christian minorities can exist indefinitely under an Islamic regime. ” 20. He warns that in Nigeria, “ likely population growth will be accompanied by intensified rivalry, struggle for converts, and competition to enforce moral codes by secular law.” 21. Jenkins also reveals a fascinating geopolitical and religious trend: Over the last century, Christianity’s center of gravity has been shifting Southward, to Africa, Asia, and Latin America, a prospect that could lead to a “New Christendom” in the South.

He cites US intelligence, which predicts that in the coming decades, “governments will have less and less control over flows of information, technology, diseases, migrants, arms, financial transactions, whether legal or illegal across their borders…The very concept of belonging to a particular state will probably erode.” 22 Religious trends have the potential to reshape political assumptions in a way not seen since the rise of modern nationalism. 23. In his classic work, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order, Huntington buttresses Jenkins’ position, by identifying Nigeria and the Sudan as the two countries in Africa lying on the violent “fault line” between Christian and Islamic civilizations. 24. Igboland lies at the epicenter of the “fault line clash” of civilizations between Christianity and Islam in Africa.

ISLAM AND CHRISTIANITY: LESSONS IN HISTORY

A political sage once said: “Without history, there is no context. Without context, we will not know what to do.” 25. Indeed, it is impossible to understand the danger posed by Islam to Igbo survival without placing in sitz im leben the phenomenal speed and modus operandi with which Mohammed conquered the warring Bedouin tribes, consolidated Islam in the Arabian peninsula, and carried the young religion beyond Arabia.

To its contemporaries, the historical context of the pre- Islamic world could not have looked more inauspicious for the young but ambitious Arab nationalist religion. When Islam burst out from the dry and relatively isolated fast nesses of the Arabian peninsula in the 7th century, it had to confront the Greco-Roman Byzantine (395-1453) and Sassanid Persian (224-651) empires, two of the most civilized peoples on earth. 26. But in spite of the remoteness and mystery with which it was associated, Arabia was not totally cut off from the influence of its more powerful neighbors. For not only were there regular commercial links between them, Mohammed had to deal with the Christian and Jewish communities that were widespread in the region. 27 For example, Mecca, the city that would become Islam’s holiest place, boasted of an Archbishopric, while Medina had a synagogue. 28 But after initial signs of tolerance, the Muslims either massacred or expelled members of both religions. 29. This action, the first sign of a new and intolerant faith, was taken on the basis of a statement credited to Mohammed before his death: “Two religions should not co-exist in the Arabian peninsula. ” 30

Within the Persian Empire, where Zoroastrianism was the official creed, religious pluralism also reigned, and Nestorian Christian communities flourished from Iraq, Bahrain, Oman, Afghanistan and even into China. And while the Greco-Roman Byzantine rulers were less tolerant of religious diversity, and saw the Arab Christians- Copts, Monophysites and Nestorians as heretics and schismatics, and persecuted them- Byzantium, nonetheless, promoted Judaeo- Christian values that were sources of unity and integration within the Eastern Roman Christian empire. Today these Churches have either been wiped out or are on the verge of extinction. The gradual but inexorable destruction of Eastern Christianity by Islam is an object lesson in Muslim attitude toward Christians, especially in Igboland.
Re: Islamization: Afikpo Igbos Are 80 Percent Muslims by Ikechu12781: 6:18am On Mar 21, 2016
The latest Igbo Muslim are in Ebonyi but their population is not even 10%. I'll be shocked if they even 7%. Op you are high on some proper weed
Re: Islamization: Afikpo Igbos Are 80 Percent Muslims by teufelein(f): 6:54am On Mar 21, 2016
Ikechu12781:
The latest Igbo Muslim are in Ebonyi but their population is not even 10%. I'll be shocked if they even 7%. Op you are high on some proper weed

a foolish-Problem proned fly is always buried with a corpse. read, think and gain wisdom.
Re: Islamization: Afikpo Igbos Are 80 Percent Muslims by sinistermind(m): 7:01am On Mar 21, 2016
I see nothing bad in it. What's wrong wit been a muslim? I am Igbo and both of my parents are. My mom's uncle died a muslim, not just a muslim, an IMAM there in Imo State. Some christians are gradually becoming that which they criticize.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Islamization: Afikpo Igbos Are 80 Percent Muslims by YourNemesis: 7:06am On Mar 21, 2016
Chaaai....!

Re: Islamization: Afikpo Igbos Are 80 Percent Muslims by Ooni: 7:20am On Mar 21, 2016
YourNemesis:
Chaaai....!

cultural day

we celebrate it here in west too
Re: Islamization: Afikpo Igbos Are 80 Percent Muslims by teufelein(f): 7:20am On Mar 21, 2016
sinistermind:
I see nothing bad in it. What's wrong wit been a muslim? I am Igbo and both of my parents are. My mom's uncle died a muslim, not just a muslim, an IMAM there in Imo State. Some christians are gradually becoming that which they criticize.

you're not igbo...go and search for your true parental lineage. no real/true igbo exchange freedom for slavery. islam is a dirty cult. is all.ah of arabs bigger than Chukwuokikeabhiama.

2 Likes

Re: Islamization: Afikpo Igbos Are 80 Percent Muslims by sinistermind(m): 8:04am On Mar 21, 2016
teufelein:

you're not igbo...go and search for your true parental lineage. no real/true igbo exchange freedom for slavery. islam is a dirty cult. is all.ah of arabs bigger than Chukwuokikeabhiama.

I am Igbo with a liberal mind and not one infested with the pointless Biafran idealism. I know my roots well. We are in a world where people are free to choose whatever they want to believe. If you want to force Christianity on people that decided to be Muslims, what makes you different from the Muslims in the north converting xtians forcefully.

1 Like

Re: Islamization: Afikpo Igbos Are 80 Percent Muslims by sinistermind(m): 8:08am On Mar 21, 2016
Why can't Igbos be Muslims Where does it say that Igbos can't be Muslims? But I guess it's okay to be a follower of this little gods. Please think before exposing your ignorance on social media.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

'If I Want, I'll Remain In The Senate Forever' - Ike Ekweremadu / Seyi Makinde Before CCB For Assets Declaration (Pictures) / Photos: Anambra 2013 Elections

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 105
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.