Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,230 members, 7,818,777 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:40 AM

The Lord's Prayer In Jesus' Native Tongue - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Lord's Prayer In Jesus' Native Tongue (1256 Views)

Pope Francis Wants The ‘lord’s Prayer’ Changed / What If The Only Prayer I Say Is; 'The Lord's Prayer'? / Tongue Of Fire Restoration Ministry Pastor In Sex Scandal (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Lord's Prayer In Jesus' Native Tongue by Nobody: 6:54pm On Mar 19, 2016
Hey guys, this is an opportunity to learn The Lord's prayer in Galilean Aramaic, Jesus' native tongue. Jesus spoke the Galilean dialect of the Aramaic language, a language similar to Hebrew. Aramaic became the everyday language of the Jews after the Babylonian transmigration or exile. It replaced its twin language, Hebrew as the language of communication among the ancient Israelites. Aramaic was later divided into various dialects such as; Claldaic, Syriac, Galilean, Mandaic, Judaean e.t.c.

Below is the Lord's prayer in Galilean Aramaic:

Abbwon d'bishmaya, nithqadash shmuk. Tete malkutuk. Nihwe sibyanuk eikana d'bishmaya af b'arah.
Hab lan lakhma d'sunkhanon yomana.
W'shbwoq lan khobeinon eikana d'af khanan shbwoqan l'khaybinon.
W'la teal lan l'nisayona il l'pas lan min bisha

Below is the phrase "For Thine is the kingdom and the power and the glory, for an age of ages. Amen" translated into Aramaic, though it is not meant to be part of the original prayer.

Mittul d'lukhay malkuta w'khayla w'tushbukhta l'alam almiyn. Amen
Re: The Lord's Prayer In Jesus' Native Tongue by zerojoy: 7:30pm On Mar 19, 2016
Are you sure?
Re: The Lord's Prayer In Jesus' Native Tongue by Nobody: 8:44pm On Mar 19, 2016
zerojoy:
Are you sure?
Yea! For those who want to understand more, I will now translate it word for word.

Abbwon - Our Father (Root word="abba" which means "Father." The suffix "won" shows first person plural possession and it means "our"wink

d'bishmaya - In the heavens (Root word="shmaya" meaning "heavens" or "sky." The prefix "d shows direction of action and the second prefix "bi" means "in" or "on"wink

nithqadash - Sanctified be (Root word="qadash" meaning "holy" or "sanctified" or "hallowed". The prefix "net" or "nit" means to "let something happen" or "let something be" i.e "nitqadash" means "hallowed be" or "sanctified be"wink

shmuk - Your name (Root word="shem" meaning "name." The suffix "uk" is used to show second person singular possession and means "your." The prefix "uk" is in the Galilean dialect. Other dialects make use of "ak" or "ok" to refer to the second person possessive pronoun i.e "shmuk" in other Aramaic dialects is either "shmak" or "shmok"
Re: The Lord's Prayer In Jesus' Native Tongue by TrajansKong: 8:50pm On Mar 19, 2016
Heresy!! Blasphemy!!

The Lord and his disciples spoke English. After all, I the Bible is written in English.

Think about it...
Re: The Lord's Prayer In Jesus' Native Tongue by johnw74: 12:03am On Mar 20, 2016
lordnicklaus:
Hey guys, this is an opportunity to learn The Lord's prayer in Galilean Aramaic, Jesus' native tongue. Jesus spoke the Galilean dialect of the Aramaic language, a language similar to Hebrew. Aramaic became the everyday language of the Jews after the Babylonian transmigration or exile. It replaced its twin language, Hebrew as the language of communication among the ancient Israelites. Aramaic was later divided into various dialects such as; Claldaic, Syriac, Galilean, Mandaic, Judaean e.t.c.

Below is the Lord's prayer in Galilean Aramaic:

Abbwon d'bishmaya, nithqadash shmuk. Tete malkutuk. Nihwe sibyanuk eikana d'bishmaya af b'arah.
Hab lan lakhma d'sunkhanon yomana.
W'shbwoq lan khobeinon eikana d'af khanan shbwoqan l'khaybinon.
W'la teal lan l'nisayona il l'pas lan min bisha

Below is the phrase "For Thine is the kingdom and the power and the glory, for an age of ages. Amen" translated into Aramaic, though it is not meant to be part of the original prayer.

Mittul d'lukhay malkuta w'khayla w'tushbukhta l'alam almiyn. Amen

@blue, Hi, why do you say "For Thine is the kingdom and the power and the glory, for an age of ages. Amen"
is not part of the original prayer?
Prayer is talking to God, and the red below is Jesus talking to God.

Mat 6:9 After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name.
Mat 6:10 Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven.
Mat 6:11 Give us this day our daily bread.
Mat 6:12 And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors.
Mat 6:13 And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen.
Re: The Lord's Prayer In Jesus' Native Tongue by zerojoy: 8:20pm On Mar 20, 2016
lordnicklaus:
Yea! For those who want to understand more, I will now translate it word for word.

Abbwon - Our Father (Root word="abba" which means "Father." The suffix "won" shows first person plural possession and it means "our"wink

d'bishmaya - In the heavens (Root word="shmaya" meaning "heavens" or "sky." The prefix "d shows direction of action and the second prefix "bi" means "in" or "on"wink

nithqadash - Sanctified be (Root word="qadash" meaning "holy" or "sanctified" or "hallowed". The prefix "net" or "nit" means to "let something happen" or "let something be" i.e "nitqadash" means "hallowed be" or "sanctified be"wink

shmuk - Your name (Root word="shem" meaning "name." The suffix "uk" is used to show second person singular possession and means "your." The prefix "uk" is in the Galilean dialect. Other dialects make use of "ak" or "ok" to refer to the second person possessive pronoun i.e "shmuk" in other Aramaic dialects is either "shmak" or "shmok"
ok let me grab a pen
Re: The Lord's Prayer In Jesus' Native Tongue by Nobody: 9:43am On Mar 21, 2016
Some manuscripts add "For thine is the kingdom" and some don't have it. The real biblical manuscripts are those that do not have that.
Re: The Lord's Prayer In Jesus' Native Tongue by Nobody: 9:48am On Mar 21, 2016
TrajansKong:
Heresy!! Blasphemy!!

The Lord and his disciples spoke English. After all, I the Bible is written in English.

Think about it...

The bible wasn't originally written in English, it was written in three different languages: Hebrew, Aramaic and Greek.....

The bible was later translated from its original languages into other languages for the sake of people who speak other languages, so it would be easy to have God's words in your native language..... Don't worry, I would make a post on the history of the bible, so you would understand it better!!!!
Re: The Lord's Prayer In Jesus' Native Tongue by johnw74: 1:48am On Mar 22, 2016
lordnicklaus:
Some manuscripts add "For thine is the kingdom" and some don't have it. The real biblical manuscripts are those that do not have that.

How do you know that Bibles that have "For thine is the kingdom" are not accurate, and those that omit "For thine is the kingdom" are accurate?

Which early texts do you go on?
Re: The Lord's Prayer In Jesus' Native Tongue by Nobody: 1:57am On Mar 22, 2016
johnw74:

How do you know that Bibles that have "For thine is the kingdom" are not accurate, and those that omit "For thine is the kingdom" are accurate?

Which early texts do you go on?

The Codex Syriacus, Aramaic Peshitta...
Re: The Lord's Prayer In Jesus' Native Tongue by newnature: 4:40am On Mar 22, 2016
Before that kingdom could be realized, there was a prophetic event that had to take place first. The way Jesus taught has special application to that tribulation period to those people who were being taught to pray in this manner. This will be a very heartfelt prayer during the tribulation period. During the time of Jacob’s trouble, the Israelites will be under tremendous persecution from the antichrist. He will be putting Israelites to death for their faith. The Israelites will be praying at that time, “thy kingdom come” the promised earthly kingdom to be set up right here on earth, because the only hope of deliverance for the believing Israelites at that time, will be the coming of the king and setting up of the earthly kingdom.
Re: The Lord's Prayer In Jesus' Native Tongue by johnw74: 6:29am On Mar 23, 2016
lordnicklaus:

The Codex Syriacus, Aramaic Peshitta...

Mat 6:13 And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen.

lordnicklaus, The Codex Syriacus doesn't have "For thine is the kingdom"
but the Peshitta Aramaic does have it:

Nyml9 Ml9l Fxwb4tw fyxw Fwklm Yh Klydd
forever and ever and the glory and the power the kingdom is thine

As you can see I couldn't copy the Aramaic, but the English is there underneath.

lordnicklaus:

So is the Peshitta Aramaic a false manuccript also?
Re: The Lord's Prayer In Jesus' Native Tongue by Nobody: 8:05am On Mar 23, 2016
johnw74:

lordnicklaus, The Codex Syriacus doesn't have "For thine is the kingdom"
but the Peshitta Aramaic does have it:

Nyml9 Ml9l Fxwb4tw fyxw Fwklm Yh Klydd
forever and ever and the glory and the power the kingdom is thine

As you can see I couldn't copy the Aramaic, but the English is there underneath.

So is the Peshitta Aramaic a false manuccript also?

That, I am not sure of because "For thine is the kingdom" actually belongs with another prayer.
Re: The Lord's Prayer In Jesus' Native Tongue by johnw74: 11:17pm On Mar 23, 2016
1Ch 29:11 Thine, O LORD, is the greatness, and the power, and the glory, and the victory, and the majesty: for all that is in the heaven and in the earth is thine; thine is the kingdom, O LORD, and thou art exalted as head above all.

(1) (Reply)

To The Atheist, And Then Everyone Else: One Single Proof Of God's Existence / 15 Types Of Pastors You Will See In Nigeria / Photos: Marcus Lamb Hangs-out With The Whole Adeyemi Family.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.