Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,595 members, 7,809,156 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:47 AM

JAMB CBT: A Student’s Point Of View - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / JAMB CBT: A Student’s Point Of View (1085 Views)

Edward Kisuze, Ugandan Lecturer Arrested For Sexually Harassing A Student / Historical Photos From Points Of View You’ve Never Seen Before / Nigerian Law School Expels A Student Few Days To His Bar Final Exams (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

JAMB CBT: A Student’s Point Of View by chubbiepeters: 5:33pm On Mar 20, 2016
People have talked about the CBT in various ways. Some for, some against and those who are neither here nor there. I would simply like to give my experience.
My name is Chioma and I am from Iheoji in Abia state. I was posted to Aba for my JAMB exam. When I heard of the new method of “writing” JAMB, I was very happy and consider it a great innovation. All I could think about was having a computer all to myself for a good amount of time. I looked forward to the day and I was practically the first person in my centre.
There were so many computers. More than I had ever seen in one room (except on television). Each person sat according to their numbers and had a computer to him/herself in a cubicle. As one of the invigilators gave instruction others moved around setting things up for you.
When they gave the instruction for us to start I put my fingers to the keys and started my exam. It was a surreal experience typing my answers to the exam questions. I was surprised to hear repeatedly that no one should be caught cheating as it was an offense.
I remembered my elder cousins who had complained of their centres some years ago and the blatant malpractice that went on then. It was refreshing to see students concentrating on the monitors in front of them.
The CBT was quite easy to understand and follow. It made answering the questions a joy for me. I guess the fact that they were multi choice questions added to the ease in using the computer for most people. A few in the centre had issues. They said that their papers were submitted before they were actually through. I don’t know if it was due to mistakes from them, or an actual glitch in the system.
The issues were not many at all, and I can say that it was mainly a time of concentration and a dedication to following instruction.
I guess the greatest part for me was going to check my result after 48 hours and seeing I had passed.
The designers of the Computer Based Test really did a good job, and I am sure that as they get feedback, the tests will only improve from year to year.
All in all, it was a great experience and a fruitful one.

3 Shares

Re: JAMB CBT: A Student’s Point Of View by DrayZee: 7:17am On Mar 21, 2016
Take exams and be sure of the least score you should expect. Then come out of exam and see half or 3/4 of that score. And someone somewhere is expecting you to take it as your score, as if this is the first time you're writing a computer based exam. They did well in the aspect of input of answers but marking appropriating correct marks afterwards which is the more important part, they failed. Well, everyone has his/her own view.

2 Likes

Re: JAMB CBT: A Student’s Point Of View by obieokpala: 8:32am On Mar 21, 2016
How do you take an exam and be sure of your score? How many times has that worked out accurately? How can you say so assuredly that the marking is wrong? Did you look at the code behind? Did you see that the answers put in are wrong? It is a computer, Garbage in Garbage out, how can it mark it wrong?... Na wa O

DrayZee:
Take exams and be sure of the least score you should expect. Then come out of exam and see half or 3/4 of that score. And someone somewhere is expecting you to take it as your score, as if this is the first time you're writing a computer based exam. They did well in the aspect of input of answers but marking appropriating correct marks afterwards which is the more important part, they failed. Well, everyone has his/her own view.
Re: JAMB CBT: A Student’s Point Of View by xender(m): 8:35am On Mar 21, 2016
yours was great. not all

1 Like

Re: JAMB CBT: A Student’s Point Of View by DrayZee: 9:09am On Mar 21, 2016
obieokpala:
How do you take an exam and be sure of your score? How many times has that worked out accurately? How can you say so assuredly that the marking is wrong? Did you look at the code behind? Did you see that the answers put in are wrong? It is a computer, Garbage in Garbage out, how can it mark it wrong?... Na wa O

So when you take an exam totalling 100 marks, you will not know whether you will score 80(give or take 10 marks) or whether you will score 40.
Or you want to assume that everyone who wrote from 8th upwards are just dullards?
You ask how a computer can misappropriate scores?Go and ask Dibu that question. It was the work of a computer so why did it take so many days for my result to come out online and why send me multiple results?

2 Likes

Re: JAMB CBT: A Student’s Point Of View by obieokpala: 9:52am On Mar 21, 2016
My dear, it does not take many days, it could have just been set that way (to be released after a certain number of hours). It is always good to state things with facts, once you do not have facts simply call it "your opinion", you may be right, or I may be right. Do not feel you know for certain. As far as I am concerned CBT should be encouraged, can it be improved? Yes certainly! But we should state the real issues and seek for ways to improve them rather than raising objections based on sentiments. If you wrote an exam in school and failed you would as well say the lecturer failed you not so...?

DrayZee:

So when you take an exam totalling 100 marks, you will not know whether you will score 80(give or take 10 marks) or whether you will score 40.
Or you want to assume that everyone who wrote from 8th upwards are just dullards?
You ask how a computer can misappropriate scores?Go and ask Dibu that question. It was the work of a computer so why did it take so many days for my result to come out online and why send me multiple results?
Re: JAMB CBT: A Student’s Point Of View by Nobody: 11:18am On Mar 21, 2016
Man,if you don't have any reasonable thing to say,please leave this thread.So many people are complaining,has it EVER BEEN THIS BAD??.YOU SHOULD ASK THAT QUESTION. As for me,i was ROBBED ALSO.212 WHEN I WAS EXPECTING 290.for your information,i am not a DULLARD OOOOOH. AND I READ NON-STOP. This is not my first Jamb. i scored 233 the last time.Let me tell you that it is the fault of JAMB.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: JAMB CBT: A Student’s Point Of View by obieokpala: 11:45am On Mar 21, 2016
Emmagenius:
Man,if you don't have any reasonable thing to say,please leave this thread.So many people are complaining,has it EVER BEEN THIS BAD??.YOU SHOULD ASK THAT QUESTION. As for me,i was ROBBED ALSO.212 WHEN I WAS EXPECTING 290.for your information,i am not a DULLARD OOOOOH. AND I READ NON-STOP. This is not my first Jamb. i scored 233 the last time.Let me tell you that it is the fault of JAMB.

LoL... I am sure it is the fault of JAMB, after all how can you legitimately not reach your desired mark... its a conspiracy by JAMB, they are after your educational future... LoL...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: JAMB CBT: A Student’s Point Of View by Nobody: 5:41pm On Mar 23, 2016
oooh please don't be silly

(1) (Reply)

Pls Which One Should I Choose Between This Two? / Federal University Oye-ekiti Starts Its Admission Screening Exercise On Sept. 1 / Political Science Or Law?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.