Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,786 members, 7,810,049 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:22 PM

Gender Equality And The Misconceptions Of Nigerian Men - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Gender Equality And The Misconceptions Of Nigerian Men (979 Views)

Flashback: Enugu Shoa Throws Out Gender Equality Bill / Saraki Receives Amended Gender Equality Opportunity (GEO) Bill / Senators Fear Gender Equality Bill Will Turn Women To Prostitutes & Lesbians (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Gender Equality And The Misconceptions Of Nigerian Men by sweetilicious(f): 6:30pm On Mar 20, 2016
Women were not created equal to men. Sometimes i try to refute this argument. Maybe we weren't because a man's stamina cannot be compared to that of a woman. I have not been able to find out things that were included in the gender equality bills but as i listened to a senator say women should not be given the kind of hand they want, then i tend to ask, WHY?. I have this friend of mine whose father was late. His father left them with a lucrative business. His father's business was taken by his uncle who custom gave the power to do so.The uncle only pays their school fees and doesn't care to know if they had anything to eat nor wear. His mother has no say because of society. Some customs might demand that she should marry her late husband's brother for her to survive. My girlfriend got married to a guy, unknown to her after her traditional marriage, she was supposed to take an oath in the husband's compound of which she would have to swear that she wouldn't cheat on the husband. She declined because she was made to understand that its only meant for women excluding the men. In some parts of the country, if a woman's husband dies, she would have to drink the water used to clean the dead body of her late husband. If she suffers and dies from the dirty water she is then guilty of his death;if God helps her to survive, she is deemed innocent. WHY ? I see cases whereby a man gets married to a woman and after some years of living with her, he would cook up one story and ask the court to divorce them and send her out of their house so that he could bring in another woman he wants.Where do you expect her to go to? We need a law to protect women fully. Some say their religion does not accept women to own anything nor have a say. Religion nor custom should not maltreat humans. Before, custom condemns twins. They were abomination but not anymore because they have a right to life. In some other parts of the world where everything works, they make laws to protect women because they know their value. This laws were made to protect good women and not bad women. We know that their are bad women but their are still good women. Their is discrimination against women in politics, jobs, etc. In conclusion, the statement noted: ”​The ​​Gender Equality Bill is not a battle of
the sexes​;​it is not a bill that removes the submissiveness of women to their
husbands​ neither is it a bill that seeks to erode the responsibility of the
woman in her home​. “It only seeks to give the woman more opportunity to
assist herself and the man in the home​. I​t is a bill that benefits the man even
more than the woman.​”

2 Likes

Re: Gender Equality And The Misconceptions Of Nigerian Men by FreemanDave(m): 6:31pm On Mar 20, 2016
lipsrsealed
Re: Gender Equality And The Misconceptions Of Nigerian Men by talktonase(m): 6:38pm On Mar 20, 2016
gender heqwality ma foot.Oya make una dey stand piss any how for public nah...
Re: Gender Equality And The Misconceptions Of Nigerian Men by Tallesty1(m): 6:44pm On Mar 20, 2016
Lmao. You might as well tell God to start giving us hymen
Re: Gender Equality And The Misconceptions Of Nigerian Men by Pidggin(f): 7:16pm On Mar 20, 2016
@OP, ignore the haters, learn to practice this "As for me and my family we shall treat all humans in my unit equally regardless of gender" It starts with you dear.
Re: Gender Equality And The Misconceptions Of Nigerian Men by cheruv: 8:26pm On Mar 20, 2016
Lemme share this lil piece before I bare my mind....

Back then in FGC Enugwu, in my junior days after lunch,they'd detain the guys while freeing the girls...from the dinning hall,the guys would be marched to go and do one labor like that or the other.the day that the reverse happened, the way guys rejoiced that day in the refectory, you'd think we won the world cup....

Females are the beings with which God himself beautified our world... I myself like being around them kos unlike guys,learning about females and their ways can be enlightening, especially to me that hopes to become a politician later. Moreover, unlike males females can multitask...I think its this ability that makes it possible for them to combine family and career lives seamlessly....

That said,God created this world and handed it over to the male..and attributes of the two sexes show who's meant to dominate the other,even among lions,the lioness knows that without the male around her,her kill isn't even safe to start with. Women should be content with their roles and not seek to upturn the duties/rights of the male. Go to the Occident and see what feminism has done to them there...morality is very low bkos the fabrik of society which is the family has been rendered useless.
God bless our girls as they turn out to be submissive mothers tomorrow

2 Likes

Re: Gender Equality And The Misconceptions Of Nigerian Men by 23Tunde45(m): 2:19am On Mar 21, 2016
I used to be a Male feminist before until I realized what is happening in the West. Feminism does not bring equality, it only makes women the most privileged in the society. Some white guys who once supported feminism are now always wailing on social Media, especially on feminist videos. I think men including me, have been too emotional to say the truth which is that a man is not equal to a woman just as an orange is not equal to an apple or x is not equal to y (mathematical). You can not add them together, you can only multiply or divide them.

Now, I'm not interested in emphasizing on who among the two is naturally superior but I expect that both men and women should accept their roles in the society. Women already have equal rights especially in developed countries. They have the right to vote and be voted for, the right to education, the right to pursue any legal occupation etc. But they ask for more. In the West, only women have organizations that cater specifically for women. Every where in the world, when a tragedy occurs, people only specifically asked about women and children victims. When a man and woman divorce, the woman always has a higher chance of getting child custody and receiving a particular percentage of the man's income. A woman is always seen as a likely victim of rape even when she falsely accuses a man.

Feminist want to keep all this special privileges that they have gained from victimizing themselves while asking for more rights. Men in the West are becoming effeminate which most straight females consider distasteful when it comes to dating, yet the society keep raising effeminate men. It's not a coincidence that in most ancient societies, a man was usually the head. Even in the animal kingdom, lions live in packs consisting of many females and children but only one adult male. We should not use our human intelligence to entirely destroy our natural human instinct. In this modern Millennium men and women should only be equal before the law in terms of human rights and basic human opportunities. Nigerian law recognizes this, it's just that it's not enforced and many Nigerians do not know their rights. Women in Southern Nigeria are free and should be grateful that they are not like their counterparts in the North.
Re: Gender Equality And The Misconceptions Of Nigerian Men by sweetilicious(f): 10:30am On Mar 21, 2016
23Tunde45:
I used to be a Male feminist before until I realized what is happening in the West. Feminism does not bring equality, it only makes women the most privileged in the society. Some white guys who once supported feminism are now always wailing on social Media, especially on feminist videos. I think men including me, have been too emotional to say the truth which is that a man is not equal to a woman just as an orange is not equal to an apple or x is not equal to y (mathematical). You can not add them together, you can only multiply or divide them.

Now, I'm not interested in emphasizing on who among the two is naturally superior but I expect that both men and women should accept their roles in the society. Women already have equal rights especially in developed countries. They have the right to vote and be voted for, the right to education, the right to pursue any legal occupation etc. But they ask for more. In the West, only women have organizations that cater specifically for women. Every where in the world, when a tragedy occurs, people only specifically asked about women and children victims. When a man and woman divorce, the woman always has a higher chance of getting child custody and receiving a particular percentage of the man's income. A woman is always seen as a likely victim of rape even when she falsely accuses a man.

Feminist want to keep all this special privileges that they have gained from victimizing themselves while asking for more rights. Men in the West are becoming effeminate which most straight females consider distasteful when it comes to dating, yet the society keep raising effeminate men. It's not a coincidence that in most ancient societies, a man was usually the head. Even in the animal kingdom, lions live in packs consisting of many females and children but only one adult male. We should not use our human intelligence to entirely destroy our natural human instinct. In this modern Millennium men and women should only be equal before the law in terms of human rights and basic human opportunities. Nigerian law recognizes this, it's just that it's not enforced and many Nigerians do not know their rights. Women in Southern Nigeria are free and should be grateful that they are not like their counterparts in the North.
Don't get me wrong. I just want laws to be made to avert all these customary inceptions against women. We cannot have it all but we need the law to be there. Someone i spoke to told me women are already protected, who would want to hurt them? I thought about it but another question that came to my mind was why laws were made? Life is precious, everyone wants to live, why would one kill someone else? But laws were made to punish those that does so;it acts as deterrent to those who would want to do so because of the punishment it attracts. For me, the gender equality bill should be looked into, accept those points listed that affects women. There are exceptions in law nah!. It should be debated. Life is an equal opportunity just as hope. #Protect women.
Re: Gender Equality And The Misconceptions Of Nigerian Men by Princiology(m): 6:16am On Jun 21, 2019
Read about the Definition of Gender on my website by clicking on the linked text.

(1) (Reply)

I Won't Pay Salaries If You Go On Strike, Ajimobi To Oyo Workers / Where Is Buhari's Body Language? / Chief Medical Director Absolves Self From Ekiti Doctors Death

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.