Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,696 members, 7,809,632 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:13 PM

Flashback: Enugu Shoa Throws Out Gender Equality Bill - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Flashback: Enugu Shoa Throws Out Gender Equality Bill (13942 Views)

Obaseki Wins As Appeal Court Throws Out Ize-Iyamu’s Case For Ballot Recount / $15m: Court Throws Out Patience Jonathan’s Suit Against SERAP, Awards Cost Vangu / Senators Fear Gender Equality Bill Will Turn Women To Prostitutes & Lesbians (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Flashback: Enugu Shoa Throws Out Gender Equality Bill by Progressive01(m): 8:01am On Oct 17, 2016
ENUGU— The Enugu State House of
Assembly, Tuesday last week, threw out the
Equal Rights and Opportunities for men and
women and Other Matters Related Thereto

Bill sponsored by a female legislator, claiming
that the bill was another way of introducing
gay marriage in the state.

The bill, sponsored by Dame Lydia Nkechi Omeje-Ogbu (Nsukka West Constituency) and House Committee Chairman on Gender Affairs, had scaled the first reading before suffering a setback as most members kicked viciously against it.

It took the intervention of the Speaker of the
House, Edward Ubosi, to save the bill from
being thrown out, outright. Ubosi suggested
that the bill be stepped down to make room
for further consultations. The Speaker,
however, praised Mrs Omeje-Ogbu for her
efforts so far, pointing out that the bill should
be stepped down for wider consultations to
be carried out.

According to Ubosi, although majority of the
members had kicked against the bill,
the
Assembly did not want to kill it prematurely,
hence the need for further debate at a future
date.

Introducing the bill, Mrs. Omeje- Ogbu
had said that the purpose was to give effect to
chapters two, three and four of the 1999
Constitution, adding that when passed into
law, it would protect all persons from
discrimination on the basis of sex in both the
private and public sectors.

She further said that the bill provided
protection for women groups, integrity and
human dignity just as it affirmed their rights
to equal opportunities in a bid to realise their
full potentials. Omeje-Ogbu then suggested
that the bill be published in the media so that
any person who has any comment against all
or any part of the provisions could submit
same to the Clerk of the House, pointing out
that neither marriage, divorce or widowhood
should deny women their rights in the area of
appointments in the state.

According to her, women should be given
equal opportunities as men and women
attended same schools and were awarded
same degrees, wondering why they should be
discriminated against.

However, most members of the House opposed the bill.

Contributing to the debate before it was
stepped down, Deputy Speaker, Dons
Uzogbado and Agbo Ugwumba of Enugu East
Rural Constituency, suggested that if ever the
bill should see the light of day, a lot of
sections have to be either amended or
deleted.

Also, Sunny Ude- Okoye (Awgu North Constituency) dissociated himself from such a bill “BECAUSE HERE IS AFRICA AND NOT AMERICA" adding that IF ANYBODY WANTED SUCH PRACTICE AS SUGGESTED IN THE BILL, HE/SHE SHOULD GO TO AMERICA.

He said: “I have risen to declare my stand. I have risen to take my stand THIS IS A COLOSAL WASTE! THE BILL IS TALKING ABOUT THE WOMEN, THE WOMEN. WHO IS DECIEVING WHO!!??

“Here is Africa. Anybody who wants to practice what President Obama and
Americans are practising should go to America.”

He stressed that debating the bill was a waste of time as the rights of everybody, including women, had been provided for in the 1999 Constitution.

According to him, the bill was deceitful. He
added: “It is total deceit. If you say 35 percent
of women, it is deceitful. Why not say 50
percent. I am saying that I am against the bill
in its entirety and will never support it.”

Another member of the House, Iloabuchi
Aniagu (Nkanu West) spoke in the same vein
with Ude-Okoye, adding that the bill should
be stepped down for further
consultations. Aniagu said the bill might be
talking about gay marriage without anybody
realising it, adding, ”I can see some unseen
hands in the bill.”
www.vanguardngr.com/2016/02/how-enugu-assembly-rejected-equal-rights-opportunities-bill/

Now, where were these later day gender advocates when a thing as significant as a law such as this was shot down??

Just like Mr Sunny Ude- Okoye of Awgu North Constituency, I'd like to ask WHO IS DECIEVING WHO??

5 Likes

Re: Flashback: Enugu Shoa Throws Out Gender Equality Bill by TippyTop(m): 8:03am On Oct 17, 2016
The Enugu State House of
Assembly, Tuesday last week, threw out the
Equal Rights and Opportunities for men and
women and Other Matters Related Thereto
Bill sponsored by a female legislator

A woman like the above presenting an "equality bill" in the north is guaranteed beheading.

Aisha Buhari fall hand so it's time to rummage the archives, anything to save face for paid sychophants.

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Flashback: Enugu Shoa Throws Out Gender Equality Bill by Progressive01(m): 8:04am On Oct 17, 2016
They have started arriving. I wonder what their defence would be. Another round of inane mumbo jumbo no doubt. cheesy

12 Likes

Re: Flashback: Enugu Shoa Throws Out Gender Equality Bill by TippyTop(m): 8:06am On Oct 17, 2016
[s]
Progressive01:
They have started arriving. I wonder what their defence would be. Another round of inane mumbo jumbo no doubt. cheesy
[/s]

How far with Fulani herdsmen in your area, Bros any update?

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Flashback: Enugu Shoa Throws Out Gender Equality Bill by Progressive01(m): 8:09am On Oct 17, 2016
Mynd44, Lalasticlala, this isn't meant to spite anyone but just cast our minds back to what happened in recent past which seems to have been all but forgotten, especially given what a group of persons have twisted Mr president's harmless joke into. In this case, we aren't talking about a joke but an attack on a proposed law that sealed the fate of millions of women.

I'd be grateful if you have it moved to the homepage.

Thanks.

Cc: Seun.

9 Likes

Re: Flashback: Enugu Shoa Throws Out Gender Equality Bill by Progressive01(m): 8:18am On Oct 17, 2016
HERE IS AFRICA AND NOT AMERICA. IF ANYBODY WANTED SUCH PRACTICE AS SUGGESTED IN THE BILL, HE/SHE SHOULD GO TO AMERICA.
- Sunny Ude- Okoye (Awgu North Constituency). cool

6 Likes

Re: Flashback: Enugu Shoa Throws Out Gender Equality Bill by dEastActivist: 8:25am On Oct 17, 2016
Abeg zombie what's your point exactly?

Didn't you read where it says the bill was stepped down for more consultation?

Moreover I see the bill as a colossal waste of time and resources BC such right has already been guaranteed in the Constitution so why go for redundancy ?

Again zombie, what's your point? cool

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Flashback: Enugu Shoa Throws Out Gender Equality Bill by QuotaSystem: 8:26am On Oct 17, 2016
^^ Did you not see where the members kicked viciously against the bill championing equal rights for women?

Hypocrites and Sons (Nig.) Ltd.

19 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Flashback: Enugu Shoa Throws Out Gender Equality Bill by dunkem21(m): 8:28am On Oct 17, 2016
Hahaha ..Flashback to be moved to FP cheesy

I understand grin

3 Likes

Re: Flashback: Enugu Shoa Throws Out Gender Equality Bill by Young03(m): 8:29am On Oct 17, 2016
please that my nsukka woman should go and seat down

it can't happen in Enugu state

proudly #NSK#

1 Like

Re: Flashback: Enugu Shoa Throws Out Gender Equality Bill by modath(f): 8:32am On Oct 17, 2016
What is sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander!! smiley smiley

When are we going to do away with that our 14th century same sex prohibition bill sef? We have to keep up with world trends too! smiley smiley

P.S; #IstandWithAisha Monkeys, don't die in my mentions this beautiful Monday morning, you don't have to care so much about what "strangers" post on the inter Web, if it hurts your soul, log out and have breakfast!! E fit be hunger dey turn your bellegrin

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Flashback: Enugu Shoa Throws Out Gender Equality Bill by Progressive01(m): 8:39am On Oct 17, 2016
modath:

When are we going to do away with that our 14th century same sex prohibition bill sef? We have to keep up with world trends too! smiley smiley

P.S; #IstandWithAisha Monkeys, don't die in my mentions this beautiful Monday morning, you don't have to care so much about what "strangers" post on the inter Web, if it hurts your soul, log out and have breakfast!! E fit be hunger dey turn your bellegrin

See one yuuf up there wants to kill himself screaming igbo when no one has mentioned any tribe here. grin

His conscience is ripping him apart. cheesy

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Flashback: Enugu Shoa Throws Out Gender Equality Bill by Progressive01(m): 8:41am On Oct 17, 2016
Young03:
please that my nsukka woman should go and seat down

it can't happen in Enugu state

proudly #NSK#
Live, from VANGUARD. grin

Dey there. cheesy

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Flashback: Enugu Shoa Throws Out Gender Equality Bill by Progressive01(m): 8:43am On Oct 17, 2016
QuotaSystem:
^^ Did you not see where the members kicked viciously against the bill championing equal rights for women?

It is called "selective blindness".

Na so dem dey go around removing tiny specs from people eyes when they themselves dey suffer from glaucoma. grin

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Flashback: Enugu Shoa Throws Out Gender Equality Bill by dEastActivist: 8:47am On Oct 17, 2016
QuotaSystem:

Hypocrites ke??

They have different views and they are entitled to it.

Meanwhile didn't the Constitution of Nigeria guarantee such right?

Why go for redundancy?

You are the bigger hypocrite and a sycophant for not admitting they later agreed for the bill to be stepped down for more consultations.

Please I have no time to argue this, the Constitution sees every Nigerian as equal.
Besides you can equally get lost.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Flashback: Enugu Shoa Throws Out Gender Equality Bill by dunkem21(m): 8:47am On Oct 17, 2016
Lalasticlala ..Front page pls cheesy

Make we manage the February story grin

1 Like

Re: Flashback: Enugu Shoa Throws Out Gender Equality Bill by DropShot: 8:53am On Oct 17, 2016
Nigerians are largely hypocrites.

Those who can't stand a woman talk back at them hailed Aisha and condemned PMB.

Same set of people who tag themselves pro-feminism don't see anything wrong in killing a bill that would have strengthen their position.

They're indeed Chronically Embittered and Disgruntled Elements (CEDE)! (credit Modath)

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Flashback: Enugu Shoa Throws Out Gender Equality Bill by QuotaSystem: 8:56am On Oct 17, 2016
dEastActivist:

[size=4pt]Hypocrites ke??

They have different views and they are entitled to it.

Meanwhile didn't the Constitution of Nigeria guarantee such right?

Why go for redundancy?

You are the bigger hypocrite and a sycophant for not admitting they later agreed for the bill to be stepped down for more consultations.

Please I have no time to argue this, the Constitution sees every Nigerian as equal.
Besides you can equally get lost.[/size]

Sour grapes of guilt from a hypo.crite smacked right in his face with evidence of his rot.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Flashback: Enugu Shoa Throws Out Gender Equality Bill by dEastActivist: 9:00am On Oct 17, 2016
QuotaSystem:

Sour grapes of guilt.
Guilt?

Far from it.

Admit you are a sycophant and a big hypocrite.

I have this package for your lofts, don't bother thanking.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Flashback: Enugu Shoa Throws Out Gender Equality Bill by dEastActivist: 9:05am On Oct 17, 2016
I can see the zombies are having a field day here.

Best time to sell the serum.
It must be pathetic defending the undefendable.

Worst moments to be a zombie! grin

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Flashback: Enugu Shoa Throws Out Gender Equality Bill by modath(f): 9:14am On Oct 17, 2016
Progressive01:
See one yuuf up there wants to kill himself screaming igbo when no one has mentioned any tribe here. grin

His conscience is ripping him apart. cheesy

grin cheesy cheesy ... Na real wah.... cheesy

Person say vegetable seller why your vegetable colour be like this, e respond; This one is not from the farm near the "refuse dump".... prickly conscience tinz...

4 Likes

Re: Flashback: Enugu Shoa Throws Out Gender Equality Bill by SalomonKane: 9:15am On Oct 17, 2016
I wonder why some women like to walk on beaten paths.

This same women advocating for equal rights will be the ones playing the victim card if they're ask to do what men do.

The "i'm a woman" mantra will become like a prayer. It's a good thing the bill was put down.

2 Likes

Re: Flashback: Enugu Shoa Throws Out Gender Equality Bill by SalomonKane: 9:18am On Oct 17, 2016
DropShot:
Nigerians are largely hypocrites.

Those who can't stand a woman talk back at them hailed Aisha and condemned PMB.
The question is: can a woman stand being shouted at? And when the pressure mounts, can she hold her senses and not give in to emotion?

Same set of people who tag themselves pro-feminism don't see anything wrong in killing a bill that would have strengthen their position.

They're indeed Chronically Embittered and Disgruntled Elements (CEDE)! (credit Modath)
Misplaced priorities is common place in the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Flashback: Enugu Shoa Throws Out Gender Equality Bill by Progressive01(m): 9:26am On Oct 17, 2016
modath:

grin cheesy cheesy ... Na real wah.... cheesy

Person say vegetable seller why your vegetable colour be like this, e respond; This one is not from the farm near the "refuse dump".... prickly conscience tinz...
When faced with the stench of their own fart, all they do is run around with a bullhorn screaming "zombie, zombie", like a malfunctioning wound up toy. cheesy

Women should have no rights- Sunny Ude- Okoye (Awgu North Constituency) Enugu state. grin

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Flashback: Enugu Shoa Throws Out Gender Equality Bill by dunkem21(m): 9:29am On Oct 17, 2016
Lalasticlala, pls dont allow this thread die a natural death cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Flashback: Enugu Shoa Throws Out Gender Equality Bill by SalomonKane: 9:29am On Oct 17, 2016
modath:

Let's start with being a self sufficient and self reliant country first. Then we can look into being a technological developed country. Then after, may be we can look into the emboldened and reddened. After all, the world trend involve all I mentioned, not just same sex marriage. tongue tongue

2 Likes

Re: Flashback: Enugu Shoa Throws Out Gender Equality Bill by lezznjr: 9:34am On Oct 17, 2016
I am not aware of any law in Nigeria that denies women equal opportunity in education, career or profession.

These bittches in government seek to truncate societal norms to enshrine abomination. Her constituency should recall her.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Flashback: Enugu Shoa Throws Out Gender Equality Bill by CSTR2: 9:37am On Oct 17, 2016
Stupid, stupid people. angry
I have seen never any part of the world where people defend individuals to the point of madness. An individual who is a dumb as they come. angry
The decision taken by Enugu HOA is Wrong and should be condemned. Even at that, Igbo ladies are one of the most independent, the most free group of women in Nigeria.
Freedom of women is already an age-long concept of igboland. There are more educated women in igboland than men.
The president that is supposed to set a good example to backward people in the Enugu HOA is being defended by useless scums of the earth and for what? 2019 elections.? That is too fickle-minded compared to the future of your female daughters.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Flashback: Enugu Shoa Throws Out Gender Equality Bill by CSTR2: 9:39am On Oct 17, 2016
QuotaSystem:

It is Wrong.
The fact that your president is toeing that same line is even sadder.
You are all sick people.

7 Likes

Re: Flashback: Enugu Shoa Throws Out Gender Equality Bill by CSTR2: 9:40am On Oct 17, 2016
Progressive01:
It is called "selective blindness".

Na so dem dey go around removing tiny specs from people eyes when they themselves dey suffer from glaucoma. grin
You deserve to be in Jail.

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Federal, State Lawmakers To Get N49bn / Remain Vigilant: Police Confirm Attack On Abia Commissioner's Convoy, Seek Help / Gbenga Daniel Steps Down For Dokpesi Ahead PDP National Convention

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.