Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,593 members, 7,809,153 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:36 AM

Kidney Transplant In Nigeria: My Story - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Kidney Transplant In Nigeria: My Story (15690 Views)

FMC Umuahia First Kidney Transplant Surgery Was Successful (Photos) / Appeal For Funds For A Second Kidney Transplant / Help Save Mercy!!! She Needs A Kidney Transplant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Kidney Transplant In Nigeria: My Story by Praktikals(m): 11:43am On Apr 15, 2016
diagro:
I There is nothing I could do before the kidney donation I can’t do now.
May the good lord be your strength, source and shield.
Re: Kidney Transplant In Nigeria: My Story by 9jatatafo(m): 11:44am On Apr 15, 2016
As painkillers are bad to kidney health so are these concoction called agbo and stuff.

1 Like

Re: Kidney Transplant In Nigeria: My Story by Harfisco(m): 11:45am On Apr 15, 2016
Walai u tried,may God almighty continue to bless you
Re: Kidney Transplant In Nigeria: My Story by ngmgeek(m): 11:49am On Apr 15, 2016
Thank you so much for sharing this information with us.

Our world is better with people like you. May God be there for you.
Re: Kidney Transplant In Nigeria: My Story by alatbaba1(m): 11:50am On Apr 15, 2016
Wow.
Re: Kidney Transplant In Nigeria: My Story by stainlex(m): 11:53am On Apr 15, 2016
May your days be meaningfully long!!!
Re: Kidney Transplant In Nigeria: My Story by Marcelomee(f): 11:53am On Apr 15, 2016
Nice @ op

How long can one be ban on nairaland and how do u confirm u have been banned?
Re: Kidney Transplant In Nigeria: My Story by habsydiamond(m): 11:54am On Apr 15, 2016
since there is no job if u want kidneys na cash and carry. that of a gorrilla should be able to work for humans now abi. its time for me to put on my hunting shoes and start working towards game reserves to capture many gorrillas and begin business. but man u are indeed brave ooo. i no get the liver to do what u did.
Re: Kidney Transplant In Nigeria: My Story by brownemmanuel43(m): 11:58am On Apr 15, 2016
chai, bro u really tried, to be a donor, God bless u richly

1 Like

Re: Kidney Transplant In Nigeria: My Story by Praktikals(m): 11:58am On Apr 15, 2016
Before I can consider making this monumental sacrifice, the beneficiary 1.MUST be my blood relation
2.His condition MUST not have been caused by alcohol intake or cigarette (or weed) smoking
3. MUST have shown me true love in the past (before he/she became aware of his state)
Sorry if you find my points absurd. I am not Jesus, I can't 'lay down my life', for just any Tom, Dick and Harry. I have lived long enough to know that people pretend a lot.

8 Likes

Re: Kidney Transplant In Nigeria: My Story by stobery(m): 11:59am On Apr 15, 2016
sorry bro
Re: Kidney Transplant In Nigeria: My Story by omoharry(f): 12:03pm On Apr 15, 2016
Nice one op..
Re: Kidney Transplant In Nigeria: My Story by myinvest: 12:15pm On Apr 15, 2016
Praktikals:
Before I can consider making this monumental sacrifice, the beneficiary 1.MUST be my blood relation
2.His condition MUST not have been caused by alcohol intake or cigarette (or weed) smoking
3. MUST have shown me true love in the past (before he/she became aware of his state)
Sorry if you find my points absurd. I am not Jesus, I can't 'lay down my life', for just any Tom, Dick and Harry. I have lived long enough to know that people pretend a lot.

If you be God.. You condition for though oo.cheesy.. If you can please do without attaching condition.. And if not donate to a cause for those who needs it.. checkout this link for someone on the kidney waiting list.. https://www.donate-ng.com/project/104

May we not experience this type of Illness and many other.. it drains you financially like a ranging fire!
Re: Kidney Transplant In Nigeria: My Story by myinvest: 12:15pm On Apr 15, 2016
Praktikals:

If you be God.. Your condition for though oo.cheesy.. If you can, please do without attaching condition.. And if not, donate financially to a cause for those who needs it.. checkout this link for someone on the kidney waiting list.. https://www.donate-ng.com/project/104

May we not experience this type of Illness and many other.. it drains you financially like a raging fire!
Re: Kidney Transplant In Nigeria: My Story by Nobody: 12:17pm On Apr 15, 2016
Poster you brought tears to my eyes. May the Most High God Bless you Abundantly.
Re: Kidney Transplant In Nigeria: My Story by Praktikals(m): 12:21pm On Apr 15, 2016
myinvest:

If you be God.. You condition for though oo.cheesy.. If you can please do without attaching condition.. And if not donate to a cause for those who needs it.. checkout this link for someone on the kidney waiting list.. https://www.donate-ng.com/project/104

May we not experience this type of Illness and many other.. it drains you financially like a ranging fire!
Make I donate without conditions, I dey craze? This is human kidney we are talking about fa grin
Re: Kidney Transplant In Nigeria: My Story by Ekakamba: 12:48pm On Apr 15, 2016
dem dey grin
Sweetyie:
What about our 'Malaysia' guys
Re: Kidney Transplant In Nigeria: My Story by Nobody: 12:54pm On Apr 15, 2016
I heard that many young nigerians who are travelling to malle are going there to sell their kidney ana when they come back they will release some video song claiming they made their money as musicians. As i was told they come back with up to tell million naira please op you did yours here how much did you collect and also should we be expect your songs in the market or are they there already?
Re: Kidney Transplant In Nigeria: My Story by Joel3(m): 1:19pm On Apr 15, 2016
do not have any family history concerning kidney. perhaps alcohol is in family linage. so there is no cause for alarm.
Re: Kidney Transplant In Nigeria: My Story by Nobody: 1:22pm On Apr 15, 2016
Op, God bless ur heart. May help always arise for you on time. I have learnt some things from your write up. U made kidney/organ donation less daunting and frightening.
Re: Kidney Transplant In Nigeria: My Story by Joel3(m): 1:28pm On Apr 15, 2016
[size=20pt]
donation of kidney is an unforgettable sin

op, just prepare for judgment day

[/size]
Re: Kidney Transplant In Nigeria: My Story by Natascha(f): 1:31pm On Apr 15, 2016
Good Work! smileyGood Work!
Re: Kidney Transplant In Nigeria: My Story by drered(m): 1:41pm On Apr 15, 2016
Blessings OP. What you did really is unquantifiable cuz u basically just gave someone another shot at life.. I have someone pretty close to me with CKD nd it's been a lot I must say. Remember. The leading causes of kidney failure is urinary tract infections, diabetes and hypertension. Nd paracetamol is more harmful on the liver than the kidneys.. It's the other kinds of pain killers, NSAIDS, like diclofenac, ibuprofen, piroxicam etc that could harm the kidneys over a long period of time.. So always consult Healthcare professionals before taking medications no matte how 'simple' you think they are..

3 Likes

Re: Kidney Transplant In Nigeria: My Story by drnoel: 2:07pm On Apr 15, 2016
diagro:
I was a kidney donor in a Nigerian hospital in late 2015. That gave me opportunity to interact with a couple of kidney patients, doctors (including non-Nigerians) and other donors locally. I have been thinking of sharing some of my experiences regarding this, but I have been forgetting until recently when someone was telling me about a kidney patient he knows and some problems he was having about getting help in Nigeria. So, I believe my experiences might benefit someone out here who may be having a challenge in this direction. Then, coincidentally, I just came across a passage of This Day Newspaper uploaded only 2 days ago saying Nigeria records 17,000 new cases of kidney diseases annually.

We can reduce this with more information. For example, my friend who called me was talking of the difficulty in getting a donor (he actually called me to speak to a prospective donor who was apprehensive of undergoing the surgery, being that I have passed through it). So, if you have a loved one who needed your help in this regard, you can take some points here. The point is, even if you don't have money to give, there is something better than money you can give without really losing anything.

So, talking about my experiences let me say the much I can here: I donated to a dear one. Before that, I underwent intensive medical check-up, long orientation and then, documentation. The first set of the medical check-up was to ensure that I matched with my receiver (blood group and all); the second set was to determine I was healthy enough to donate. The orientation was to ensure my decision to donate was informed. Then, the documentation included court affidavit and personal data filing.

On the day of the surgery, I was placed on anesthesia during which I lost consciousness completely (not even a dream!) until later I saw myself after the surgery had taken place (about 8 hours or so, later). For me, that was some idea about how death would be eventually.
Before the surgery, I was asked not to eat for some hours prior to it. Then after it, I did not eat anything for 24 hours (may be more) but I didn’t feel hungry because I was often placed on drip. I was in the hospital for post-surgery medication for two weeks before I left.
During the experience, I learnt so many things I could never have learnt unless I passed through it such as: 1. Pain-reliever consumption predisposes you to kidney problems. Of course, it gets to be risky only through over-consumption. So, stop taking paracetamol or panadol at every opportunity you have to. 2. It is not just anyone that could donate a kidney to anyone. Apart from matching the blood groups of prospective donor and receiver, there are a ton of other considerations 3. As the medics told me, it hardly ever happens that one kidney would have problems without the other having. So, you don’t have to live carelessly thinking ‘if I lose one, the other continues’. Also, if you donate to a loved one, you have saved a life without losing any of yours.
One thing I noticed after donating the kidney is that I have naturally become less careless in the way I live. For example, I naturally (without struggles) gave up smoking and heavy consumption of alcohol. These habits are equally as dangerous to a one-kigneyed as to a two-kidneyed person though (from the above expert views, that is).
There is nothing I could do before the kidney donation I can’t do now.
This is all I can say for now. NOTE: I’m not a doctor and so, this can’t be taken for medical advice. All I know about this is from being a donor.

I think its time I rise out of my cave and say this. Not everyone can give a looked one an organ and not everyone could have such courage. Its really not the end of the world as the OP said but then again the donors should be aware that the decision has to be theirs as tgey would have to leave with the one kidney and not two. So no potential donor should feel pressured into giving, its ur organ so its ur right to say give it or not.

Gave mine in 2008 and still dont regret the decision. As a medical personnel I would add this. Its not rare for both kidneys to fail but its is also not rare for only one ofbthe kidneys to have a problem. The thing there is that if its a problem that needs dialysis and then.Transplantation then both kidneys would have failed.

1 Like

Re: Kidney Transplant In Nigeria: My Story by Nobody: 2:13pm On Apr 15, 2016
I plan on doing the same but with all of my useful organs and tissues at the end of my lifespan. Good thing to see there're many Nigerians already doing this; most of the ones I know want to get buried with all their organs complete. I am a new age Nigerian: I would return what belonged to the earth back to the earth - I shall cremate my carcass and spread the ashes in the wind.

This is my thread on the same subject: https://www.nairaland.com/3009601/what-plan-body-after-death

1 Like

Re: Kidney Transplant In Nigeria: My Story by Danfuster(m): 2:41pm On Apr 15, 2016
"I naturally (without struggles) gave up smoking and heavy consumption of alcohol."

"There is nothing I could do before the kidney donation I can’t do now."

OXYMORON

once you donate, you obviously can't fück like you used to but that's a great thing to do.

Re: Kidney Transplant In Nigeria: My Story by EagleNest(m): 3:18pm On Apr 15, 2016
Well done. God bless you.
Re: Kidney Transplant In Nigeria: My Story by Nobody: 3:52pm On Apr 15, 2016
hw much kidney b a beg I wan sell/donate 1 kidney...but if d money plenty wela I fit add liver join
Re: Kidney Transplant In Nigeria: My Story by Tombrown3(m): 4:06pm On Apr 15, 2016
Lilimax:
@ OP, I was just thinking if I could be able to do this undecided
You're such a wonderful person to undergo such procedure to save life.
I hope you're richly rewarded smiley
This girl like money i swear!
Re: Kidney Transplant In Nigeria: My Story by streetzdreamz(m): 4:13pm On Apr 15, 2016
Always wished i get an opportunity to save a life, atleast give someone thats struggling and hoping to live an opportunity, one day i will certainly donate an organ or at death,have a request to get me organs harvested for transplants,bless your heart @op.
Re: Kidney Transplant In Nigeria: My Story by GodnGold: 4:20pm On Apr 15, 2016
Praktikals:
I couldn't agree more bro!

1 Like

Re: Kidney Transplant In Nigeria: My Story by Jadoskii(m): 4:21pm On Apr 15, 2016
chikeorji123:
God bless u op..u got a pm.
ehen so that u cn beg for d remaining one abi.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

COVID-19 Update For September 22 2020 In Nigeria - (3,019 Tested) / Curing Leukaemia With HIV: Breakthough On Treatment For Cancer? / COVID-19 Update For December 31 2020 In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.