Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,543 members, 7,812,697 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 05:43 PM

How True Is This African Proverb? - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / How True Is This African Proverb? (1037 Views)

How True Is This On The Rearing Of Pigs? / Feeding Your Fishes With Crayfish And Indomie, How True? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How True Is This African Proverb? by Godsgal(f): 10:36pm On Mar 21, 2016
Hi Guys.
The authenticity of the African proverb ''a child who washes his hands clean will dine with kings'' has been a source of bother to me. I have seen cases in which people do not have to 'rinse' their hands (not to talk of washin) yet they dine & wine with Kings. A case in point is while i was in school, a group of a notorious gang had these drinking spot where they meet and each time they gather, to my utter disdain, i find most of my highly respected lecturers (doctors) in their midst, drinking with them. Am aware some lecturers join the cult buh i do not think they are members. They just enjoy drinkin & their favourite spot happen to be the same joint that hosts these riffraffs. On most occasions, they are bought drinks by these guys & they wine with them. Then, i thought to myself ...."Even with their dirty hands?"
Re: How True Is This African Proverb? by monalicious(f): 10:40pm On Mar 21, 2016
When the proverb said "elders", or "kings" it didn't mean "grown-ups" or the male folk. Those lecturers are obviously not elders, they are just an older version of the cultists. It takes a whole lot to be a king.#myopinion

2 Likes

Re: How True Is This African Proverb? by amtaken(f): 10:42pm On Mar 21, 2016
Are you a saint?
Re: How True Is This African Proverb? by Godsgal(f): 11:06pm On Mar 21, 2016
amtaken:
Are you a saint?
And what has my being a saint got 2 do with d post?

1 Like

Re: How True Is This African Proverb? by amtaken(f): 11:08pm On Mar 21, 2016
The way you described others sins....

Godsgal:
And what has my being a saint got 2 do with d post?
Re: How True Is This African Proverb? by Godsgal(f): 11:25pm On Mar 21, 2016
amtaken:
The way you described others sins....

Nope dearie. I think u shud go over d post once more so u culd get my point. Thnks
Re: How True Is This African Proverb? by Baroba(m): 2:01am On Mar 22, 2016
Like you said its a proverb, an old igbo proverb used by Chinua Achebe in Things Fall Apart,it has far deeper meaning than what you have just described.. It has nothing to do with eating or drinking..

As the elders said, if a child washed his hands he could eat with kings. Okonkwo had clearly washed his hands and so he ate with kings and elders. (1.16)

This stylized proverb illustrates one of the Igbo’s highest values – personal responsibility. If a man “washes his hands” or pays off all his debts and is able to stand on his own, he may mingle with the most respected elders.

http://www.shmoop.com/things-fall-apart/chapter-1-quotes.html

The proverb is saying age is no barrier for partaking in discussion with respected elders.. Personal Responsibility, Good moral standing in your community, achievement, wealth, wisdom, intellect, oratory skills are some of the criteria considered..

1 Like

Re: How True Is This African Proverb? by Nobody: 10:24am On Mar 22, 2016
the guy who probably said that was high on palm wine and kolanut

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

1000ha Farmland 4 Farmers In Edo State At N120k With Irrigation,security & More / All Round Season Waterleaf / Prevention Of Armyworm Outbreak On My Farm

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.