Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,546 members, 7,812,720 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 06:00 PM

Nigeria: Igr (internally Generated Revenue) - Lagos, Sokoto Lead The Way - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria: Igr (internally Generated Revenue) - Lagos, Sokoto Lead The Way (28981 Views)

Nigerian States By Internally Generated Revenue (IGR) - 2015 / Latest Ranking Of States By Financial Sustainability, Debt And IGR (PICS) / States Internally Generated Revenue: See How Much Your State Generates. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria: Igr (internally Generated Revenue) - Lagos, Sokoto Lead The Way by naijatoday: 2:42pm On Jul 23, 2009
Abuja — Lagos and surprisingly Sokoto are the leading states in relative "fiscal independence" measured by internally generated revenue (IGR) as a percentage of total revenue.

Whereas Lagos' position has been well known over the years, the traditional assumption that one of Kano, Rivers and Delta States is second to Lagos is not supported by facts. Lagos powered home with 63.5 per cent in 2008, up from 51.2 per cent it scored the previous year.

It is followed a distant second by Sokoto State with a score of 46.6 per cent representing an upward from the 19.3 per cent that secured it third position in 2007, while Ogun came third with 27.5 per cent with N14.9 billion.

Figures contained in the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) annual report for 2008 just published and obtained by THISDAY shows that the IGR of Lagos and Sokoto stood at N139.2 billion and N34.8 billion in 2008 respectively, while their allocations from federation account were N80.16 billion and N39.67 billion.

However, Taraba State, which generated only N1.3 billion (2.3 per cent) from internal sources occupied the lowest rung of the ladder, followed by 12 other states with revenue percentages lower than 10.

According to the report, the IGR by 36 states and FCTA was N441.1 billion representing 1.8 per cent of national gross domestic product (GDP) or total output of goods and services amounting N24 trillion at current basic prices.

This contrasts with total IGR of the states and FCTA of N305.7 billion in 2007 representing 1.5 per cent of national GDP of N20.9 billion, a decrease of N3.2 trillion.

The CBN data further showed that the total revenue of the state governments and FCTA increased by 42.1 per cent to N2,934.8 billion or 12.2 per cent of GDP, compared with N2,065.4 billion or 9.9 per cent of GDP in 2007.

The analysis of the sources of revenue indicated that allocations from the Federation Account (including the 13.0 per cent Derivation Fund and the drawdown for Budget Augmentation) was N1.709 billion or 58.2 per cent; VAT Pool Account, N198.1 billion or 6.8 per cent; IGR, N441.1 billion or 15.0 per cent; Stabilization Account N53.4 billion or 1.8 per cent; the share of excess crude account N354.1 billion or 12.1 per cent; and grants/others N179.0 billion or 6.1 per cent.

According to the report, the performance of the IGR improved over the level in 2007 as it increased from 1.5 to 1.8 per cent of GDP.

States with relatively high performing indices included Ogun, Osun, Oyo, Borno, Ondo, FCTA, Jigawa, Kaduna, Kogi, Anambra, Kwara, Kano, Gombe, Edo, Abia and Rivers which recorded 10 per cent and above in their IGR.

However, states such as Niger, Delta, Imo, Kebbi, Cross River, Zamfara, Enugu, Plateau, Nassarawa, Ebonyi, Bayelsa, Adamawa, Akwa Ibom, Katsina, Benue, Bauchi and Yobe were among those which relied heavily on federally allocated revenue for its fiscal operations in 2008.

http://allafrica.com/stories/200907230332.html

Lagos IGR is quite small relative to its population but Sokoto? I am shoked.
Re: Nigeria: Igr (internally Generated Revenue) - Lagos, Sokoto Lead The Way by Ibime(m): 3:26pm On Jul 23, 2009
Well done to both states. I hope other states will follow suit.
Re: Nigeria: Igr (internally Generated Revenue) - Lagos, Sokoto Lead The Way by RICHIEBOI1(m): 4:31pm On Jul 23, 2009
i doubt that statistic given. LAGOS STATE(lagos island and ikeja local govt) respectively are the two local govts with the highest revenue followed by RIVERS STATE(obiakpo local govt) being the third.
Re: Nigeria: Igr (internally Generated Revenue) - Lagos, Sokoto Lead The Way by Abagworo(m): 5:09pm On Jul 23, 2009
igr my foot.so money generated from sale of crude oil in a state is externally generated.lmfao!
Re: Nigeria: Igr (internally Generated Revenue) - Lagos, Sokoto Lead The Way by Abagworo(m): 5:10pm On Jul 23, 2009
igr my foot.so money generated from sale of crude oil in a state is externally generated.lmfao!
Re: Nigeria: Igr (internally Generated Revenue) - Lagos, Sokoto Lead The Way by Ibime(m): 5:15pm On Jul 23, 2009
Abagworo:

Do you not know that crude oil is a national good, and unlike other resources, it is exempted from the IGR? grin

1 Like

Re: Nigeria: Igr (internally Generated Revenue) - Lagos, Sokoto Lead The Way by seanet02: 3:41pm On Apr 30, 2011
Hmm
Re: Nigeria: Igr (internally Generated Revenue) - Lagos, Sokoto Lead The Way by edoyad(m): 4:11pm On Apr 30, 2011
. . . Sokoto stood at N139.2 billion and N34.8 billion in 2008 respectively, while their allocations from federation account were N80.16 billion and N39.67 billion.
Alu 2 terms cool
But wait o, most of those states were under PDP.
Re: Nigeria: Igr (internally Generated Revenue) - Lagos, Sokoto Lead The Way by ektbear: 4:35pm On Apr 30, 2011
I extracted the latest table from the CBN site. Rightmost column is total revenue; column with "139.2" in it for Lagos is IGR.

Question I have is. . . why is Sokoto state's IGR% so high? How are they raising N34.8 billion a year through taxes? Can someone explain who has been to that state what is going on here?

Re: Nigeria: Igr (internally Generated Revenue) - Lagos, Sokoto Lead The Way by EzeUche3(m): 4:38pm On Apr 30, 2011
Something doesn't sound right about Sokoto.

Cattle is worth that much?
Re: Nigeria: Igr (internally Generated Revenue) - Lagos, Sokoto Lead The Way by edoyad(m): 5:43pm On Apr 30, 2011
Guys don't be deceived, sokoto is very commercial. They have Sokoto cement which is a multinational company with millions of dollars in revenue. There's also other stuff going on here though they're a conservative people sort of.

http://www.sokotocement.com/board.html
Re: Nigeria: Igr (internally Generated Revenue) - Lagos, Sokoto Lead The Way by 10cirenoh: 5:52pm On Apr 30, 2011
Well done sokoto
Re: Nigeria: Igr (internally Generated Revenue) - Lagos, Sokoto Lead The Way by ektbear: 5:58pm On Apr 30, 2011

PRODUCT

Cement Company of Northern Nigeria Plc produces and markets SOKOTO Ordinary Portland cement in strict compliance with the Nigeria Standards quality assurance. The Plant is located on a pure limestone belt of over 200 million tonnes, capable of sustaining the plant's operation for at least 100 years.

+ 2nd largest # of livestock in the country, from the government site.

Hrm, well done indeed. I underestimated them.
Re: Nigeria: Igr (internally Generated Revenue) - Lagos, Sokoto Lead The Way by dustydee: 6:13pm On Apr 30, 2011
it is also shares border with Niger and Benin. smugglers use it as a route too. I'm sure the state makes money from vehicle importers too,not sure.
Re: Nigeria: Igr (internally Generated Revenue) - Lagos, Sokoto Lead The Way by Beaf: 6:22pm On Apr 30, 2011
ekt_bear:

+ 2nd largest # of livestock in the country, from the government site.

Hrm, well done indeed. I underestimated them.

That is all you spend time doing. If you want to learn about Nigeria, get on a plane, fly home, learn where your village is and start from there.
Learn first hand, cos google cannot help you
. You will also be much more useful on the ground to raise your states IGR from 4.2 (which is about the worst in the South and one of the worst in the country) to a higher level; it would also help remove your head from the clouds and stop you you badmouthing areas/regions that are more developed than yours.
Re: Nigeria: Igr (internally Generated Revenue) - Lagos, Sokoto Lead The Way by EzeUche3(m): 6:41pm On Apr 30, 2011
Beaf:

That is all you spend time doing. If you want to learn about Nigeria, get on a plane, fly home, learn where your village is and start from there.
. You will also be much more useful on the ground to raise your states IGR from 4.2 (which is about the worst in the South and one of the worst in the country) to a higher level; it would also help remove your head from the clouds and stop you you badmouthing areas/regions that are more developed than yours.

grin grin grin
Re: Nigeria: Igr (internally Generated Revenue) - Lagos, Sokoto Lead The Way by Nobody: 6:53pm On Apr 30, 2011
Some regions will still be like forest if not for the monthly allocation from Abuaj.who could have believed that sokoto can follow Lagos in Internal revenue generation.Gbenga daniel must go to jail for this.
Re: Nigeria: Igr (internally Generated Revenue) - Lagos, Sokoto Lead The Way by edoyad(m): 6:58pm On Apr 30, 2011
Beaf:

Beaf that was totally uncalled for, the dude is anxious to learn about local stuff so why discourage him ?
Re: Nigeria: Igr (internally Generated Revenue) - Lagos, Sokoto Lead The Way by violent(m): 7:08pm On Apr 30, 2011
Beaf:

Epic!
Re: Nigeria: Igr (internally Generated Revenue) - Lagos, Sokoto Lead The Way by ektbear: 2:02am On May 01, 2011
Beaf:

@Beaf: IGR figures aren't something you need to be on the ground to know. The CBN compiled this table by sourcing the #s from each state. It is probably reasonable to guess that they didn't have a guy "get on a plane, fly" to each state to get a # that could easily be reported via email or phone grin

Part of the point of technologies like the phone and internet is to allow people to transfer information more quickly and cheaply. . seems a bit silly not to take advantage of 'em.

Regarding Google. . . in this case, it helped me very much. I was able to use it to take the IGR figure published in an article to then go to the CBN website and pull the table describing IGR for the different states.

Finally, regarding Ekiti State's IGR. . . hrm, perhaps you didn't see the table posted above. Ekiti State's 4.2 billion in IGR is nowhere near the worst. . . Adamawa, Ebonyi, Enugu, Katsina, Kebbi, Kogi, Nassarawa, Niger, Ondo (though I suspect that this is a typo, since the 2008 IGR #s for Ondo were very high) Plateau, Taraba, Yobe, Zamfara all raised less revenue. As a percentage of total revenue (IGR%), our rank relative to other states is probably well above average.

Regarding "badmouth", I don't think showing surprise at Sokoto's high IGR means that I'm badmouthing them. Or if I am badmouthing them, I'm certainly not doing anything worse than the newspaper article itself in the original post.
Re: Nigeria: Igr (internally Generated Revenue) - Lagos, Sokoto Lead The Way by Beaf: 3:30am On May 01, 2011
^
Funny guy. Keep pretending. . . And googling. grin
Home and truth are just a ticket away. lol!!!

Look up the poverty map for relative poverty levels in Nigeria next, and faint. grin grin grin

edoyad:

Beaf that was totally uncalled for, the dude is anxious to learn about local stuff so why discourage him ?

You should get to know how many ignorant sweeping statements ekt_bear makes with authority and how shamelessly bigoted he is.
Re: Nigeria: Igr (internally Generated Revenue) - Lagos, Sokoto Lead The Way by ektbear: 3:37am On May 01, 2011
Beaf:

^
Funny guy. Keep pretending. . . And googling. grin
Home and truth are just a ticket away. lol!!!
Visiting your home country is certainly a nice thing to do. Very laudable. But not really relevant in the context of this thread.

Whether one obtains the IGR #s from:
A) googling and visiting the CBN website (as I did)
B) Calling or emailing the state governments (as the CBN probably did)
B) flying to Nigeria and visiting each of the 36 state government offices personally, or whatever other silly method you'd propose

It doesn't really matter. Like, it is purely irrelevant to this discussion and thread.

Look up the poverty map for relative poverty levels in Nigeria next, and faint. grin grin grin
Would you suggest I Google this? Or must I travel to Nigeria to find out the poverty rates for each state too?  grin grin grin

I wonder if you are the type of person who, if curious about the price of groundnut at a particular market in Abuja, rather than calling someone trustworthy and asking them to find out for you, you travel there to visit yourself  grin

Very silly fellow.
Re: Nigeria: Igr (internally Generated Revenue) - Lagos, Sokoto Lead The Way by PhysicsMHD(m): 3:55am On May 01, 2011
EzeUche__:

Something doesn't sound right about Sokoto.

Cattle is worth that much?

shocked shocked shocked

lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

WTF is wrong with those cows?

Is that picture really from Sokoto??!!

What are they doing to those poor animals?

They're completely fu[i]c[/i]ked up looking.

Look at their bodies!

Are they feeding them dirt?

This is my first time seeing so much bone and rib through the skin of any animal.

I was eating and almost threw up when I saw this crap on my screen.
Re: Nigeria: Igr (internally Generated Revenue) - Lagos, Sokoto Lead The Way by PhysicsMHD(m): 3:57am On May 01, 2011
If your area doesn't have the vegetation to support cattle, why keep them?! Those cows are starved.
Re: Nigeria: Igr (internally Generated Revenue) - Lagos, Sokoto Lead The Way by ektbear: 4:04am On May 01, 2011
^-- The pictures of the camels that this same tourist took look fine though: http://www.caboose.org.uk/b/archives/2005/09/12/revisiting-sokoto/

This from their website:

The Tsetse -free- open -grassland has made animal husbandry a very lucrative venture in the State. There are all kinds of animals both wild and domestic in the State. Sokoto ranks second in Livestock production in the country with animal population of well over eight (cool million.
http://www.sokotostate.gov.ng/investement.html

I don't think those cow pictures are likely to be representative. Otherwise, hard to make sense of that and being #2 in livestock production.
Re: Nigeria: Igr (internally Generated Revenue) - Lagos, Sokoto Lead The Way by Beaf: 4:12am On May 01, 2011
^
If only google could tell you! grin

ekt_bear:

Visiting your home country is certainly a nice thing to do. Very laudable. But not really relevant in the context of this thread.

Whether one obtains the IGR #s from:
A) googling and visiting the CBN website (as I did)
B) Calling or emailing the state governments (as the CBN probably did)
B) flying to Nigeria and visiting each of the 36 state government offices personally, or whatever other silly method you'd propose

It doesn't really matter. Like, it is purely irrelevant to this discussion and thread.
Would you suggest I Google this? Or must I travel to Nigeria to find out the poverty rates for each state too?  grin grin grin

I wonder if you are the type of person who, if curious about the price of groundnut at a particular market in Abuja, rather than calling someone trustworthy and asking them to find out for you, you travel there to visit yourself  grin

Very silly fellow.

Learn the way to your village. It is such an important thing. If you don't even know your roots (or you try to find out with google), then you are as lost as a bat in a nightclub.

I'm sure you need google to know what a Nigerian passport looks like. LOL!!!
Re: Nigeria: Igr (internally Generated Revenue) - Lagos, Sokoto Lead The Way by Beaf: 4:18am On May 01, 2011
PhysicsMHD:

shocked shocked shocked

lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

WTF is wrong with those cows?

Is that picture really from Sokoto??!!

What are they doing to those poor animals?

They're completely fu[i]c[/i]ked up looking.

Look at their bodies!

Are they feeding them dirt?

This is my first time seeing so much bone and rib through the skin of any animal.

I was eating and almost threw up when I saw this crap on my screen.

I didn't know whether to laugh or feel your pain. There are very few cows that look better in Nigeria, and thats what Fulani headsmen kill their fellow citizens over; cows that are so malnourished a puff of wind can kill them. embarassed
A lot needs to be done to stop the headsmens nomadic lifestyle, cos no animal can be fatenned doing pilgrimages from North to South in search of pasture.
Re: Nigeria: Igr (internally Generated Revenue) - Lagos, Sokoto Lead The Way by ektbear: 4:24am On May 01, 2011
Beaf:

Learn the way to your village. It is such an important thing. If you don't even know your roots (or you try to fid out with google), then you are as lost as a bat in a nightclub.

I'm sure you need google to know what a Nigerian passport looks like. LOL!!!
Both are very nice things to know. But just as about as useful as knowing the price of tea in China, for the purposes of this discussion on IGR grin

And with that, I guess I am up 3-0 against you (or at worst 2-0.) You've got a lot of catching up to do, bruh.
Re: Nigeria: Igr (internally Generated Revenue) - Lagos, Sokoto Lead The Way by tpia5: 4:26am On May 01, 2011
there must be a drought.

those cows arent representative of typical cows in nigeria.

they're half starved and something is obviously seriously wrong.

my best guess is food is scarce.

nigerian cows arent as fat as western ones, but they're not usually that malnourished either.

if i remember correctly sha.
Re: Nigeria: Igr (internally Generated Revenue) - Lagos, Sokoto Lead The Way by PhysicsMHD(m): 4:30am On May 01, 2011
ekt_bear:

^-- The pictures of the camels that this same tourist took look fine though: http://www.caboose.org.uk/b/archives/2005/09/12/revisiting-sokoto/

This from their website:http://www.sokotostate.gov.ng/investement.html

I don't think those cow pictures are likely to be representative. Otherwise, hard to make sense of that and being #2 in livestock production.

Yeah, but camels don't really get emaciated. They store fat in that hump and then leech off it when they are out of food and water. They are also just really tough animals to begin with so they survive well with very little. For a camel to become emaciated would require extremely unusual circumstances.

Also, I was under the impression that Sokoto state did not have much real vegetation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sokoto_State

They can't even grow crops.

So is that dry brown grass found in the savanna area what their cows eat? And if that stuff is acceptable for cows, how much of it is there in Sokoto?

You're probably right that that isn't a representative picture because I googled around and found this:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/73542590@N00/4277948963/

"Sokoto cow

Fulani herdsmen have a deep and almost mystical relationship with their cows. Each cow has a name and responds to it. Cows are named after their mothers. It is taboo for herdsmen to kill their own cows. I spent a while watching this cow and his herder. They appeared to be communicating in a subtle way, "

But it doesn't resolve the question, as this picture only reinforces the idea that Sokoto is a barren area.
Re: Nigeria: Igr (internally Generated Revenue) - Lagos, Sokoto Lead The Way by Beaf: 4:35am On May 01, 2011
^
Nah, those cows are no better than most in Nigeria. It is sickly.
It is animal abuse IMHO.

ekt_bear:

Both are very nice things to know. But just as about as useful as knowing the price of tea in China, for the purposes of this discussion on IGR grin

And with that, I guess I am up 3-0 against you (or at worst 2-0.) You've got a lot of catching up to do, bruh.

Yeah, its even better not to have an identity thats defined by google. I wonder if you can even pronounce the name of your village? Sad really.

Official: whats the name of your village, son?
ekt_bear: wait for me to check google, sir!

Dude, visit home and get to actually know Nigeria; that way, you'll make a lot more sense.
Re: Nigeria: Igr (internally Generated Revenue) - Lagos, Sokoto Lead The Way by ektbear: 4:42am On May 01, 2011
PhysicsMHD:

Yeah, but camels don't really get emaciated. They store fat in that hump and then leech off it when they are out of food and water. They are also just really tough animals to begin with so they survive well with very little. For a camel to become emaciated would require extremely unusual circumstances.
Right. But their humps are not entirely gone; are still visible on those camels in that tourist photo. But you are probably right; I shouldn't use the state of the camels to say anything about the rest of the animals.

Also, I was under the impression that Sokoto state did not have much real vegetation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sokoto_State

They can't even grow crops.

No, from that article, looks like they grow crops:

The region's lifeline for growing crops is the floodplains of the Sokoto-Rima river system (see Sokoto River), which are covered with rich alluvial soil. For the rest, the general dryness of the region allows for few crops, millet perhaps being the most abundant, complemented by rice, corn, other cereals and beans. Apart from tomatoes few vegetables grow in the region. The low variety of foodstuffs available has resulted in the relatively dull local cuisine.
I wonder how much (if anything) they import.

So Is that dry brown grass found in the savanna area what their cows eat? And if that stuff is acceptable for cows, how much of it is there in Sokoto?

You're probably right that that isn't a representative picture because I googled around and found this:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2541/4277948963_b006753b96.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/73542590@N00/4277948963/

But it doesn't resolve the question, as this picture only reinforces the idea that Sokoto is a barren area.
Yeah, I dunno what the deal is. Perhaps Jarus (youth service in Sokoto) or namfav (lives in Sokoto, iirc) can explain. . . something funny seems to be going on here.

(1) (2) (Reply)

I Was Very Sentimental When I Supported Buhari Against Jonathan – Dele Momodu / The New Police Area Commands In Nigeria (Photo) / Kano State Deputy Governor Resigns, defects to PDP

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.