Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,780 members, 7,817,233 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:28 AM

FG To Stabilise Economy With N350bn - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FG To Stabilise Economy With N350bn (22047 Views)

Recession: FG Releases Fresh N350bn To Boost Economy / FG To Boost Economy With N350bn / FG To Stabilise Economy With N350bn (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

FG To Stabilise Economy With N350bn by telltimes: 5:32am On Mar 23, 2016
The Federal Government has resolved to release N350bn into the economy, which has been battered by the sharp drop in the price of crude oil in the global market, as parts of measures aimed at stabilising it.

This is one of the outcomes of a two-day retreat organised by the National Economic Council chaired by Vice President Yemi Osinbajo at the Presidential Villa, Abuja.

The governors of Zamfara and Anambra states, Abdulaziz Yari and Willie Obiano; Minister of Budget and National Planning, Senator Udo Udoma; and his Finance counterpart, Mrs. Kemi Adeosun, read the retreat’s communique to State House correspondents at the end of the programme.

Adeosun expressed the conviction that the money, which would be released by her ministry in the coming months, would restore significant economic activities in the country.

She said for contractors to benefit from the fund, they must show proof of the number of Nigerians that would be re-engaged.

Adeosun said, “From the Ministry of Finance, in anticipation of the approval of the budget, we have virtually lined up about N350bn, which we will be pumping into the Nigerian economy in the forthcoming months.

“We explained our rationale and the processes that we have put in place to ensure that this money actually achieves the desired objective, which is to stimulate the economy. We are already discussing with some of the contractors who will be paid this money, and the objectives from the overall criteria is the number of Nigerians that will be re-engaged.

“We are specifically looking at contractors who have laid off staff and how many Nigerians they are going to put back to work as a result of this money that we are planning to release, and we believe that this will bring significant economic activity.”

The minister said participants at the retreat called on state governors to reduce the number of their political appointees, including commissioners, as much as possible.

“State governors were encouraged, where possible, to rationalise the number of commissioners and general political appointees, and in addition, cost-control measures should be identified and implemented on an ongoing basis, and there was a sharing of best practices from a number of states that could be applied elsewhere,” Adeosun added.

The minister also said the retreat called on state governments to bring in more cost-efficiency into their operations, noting that they were asked to establish efficiency units to achieve the feat.
She added, “We deliberated extensively on the drop in revenue, particularly as to how it affects the state governments and their ability to pay salaries and fulfil other obligations.

“The general resolve of the house and the consensus was that there was a need to bring in more cost-efficiency in their operations, in particular to look at the setting up of efficiency units within the state governments to rationalise expenditure, and of course, to increase IGR.

“To that end, there is a need to generate data because data is the basis of any revenue collection effort. The federal and state inland revenue services will collaborate to do joint audits to invest in revenue, relevant technology and efforts to improve collection.

“There is a need to develop incentives for both federal and state revenue generating agencies to ensure that there is an alignment of interest.

“There is a focus at state level on property and consumption taxes to help in improving revenue in a fair manner. Taxpayer education must be intensified and to expand the tax base and ensure that there is a buy-in in the revenue collection agencies from the populace.”

Adeosun added that the retreat also discussed the Universal Basic Education Commission and the need to get legislative approval to change the need for counterpart funding on the part of state governments, which is believed to be putting them further into debt.

This, she explained, would release an estimated N58bn currently not being accessed.
http://punchng.com/fg-to-stabilise-economy-with-n350bn/

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG To Stabilise Economy With N350bn by DEXTROVERT: 5:42am On Mar 23, 2016
When
Are
They
Going
To
Give
Me
My

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG To Stabilise Economy With N350bn by freeze001(f): 5:52am On Mar 23, 2016
Will this piecemeal release of what appears to be 'bailout' funds be feasible in the long run? Are they going to continue like this? What is in place or has been resolved to get the economy function optimally without the need for these government interventions?

What is needed is structural rather than cosmetic reform. Asking for guarantee from contractors as regards how many people they will be re-engaged before the release of the funds is laughable.

Should we say the government is now resorting to bribing contractors to engage people? That should be something that flows naturally when necessary infrastructure are in place with a conducive environment for business. If the FG owes contractors then pay them and don't make it contingent on how many people they will re-engage. The emphasis should be on timely delivery of high quality contract projects which will serve members of the public.

60 Likes 7 Shares

Re: FG To Stabilise Economy With N350bn by Nelkoko: 5:53am On Mar 23, 2016
Will 350 billion remedy d damage done? 4 d economy to move to d permanent site buhari shld jejely resign cos dats our only solution

27 Likes 3 Shares

Re: FG To Stabilise Economy With N350bn by 989900: 5:53am On Mar 23, 2016
Is that $1b or $2b for 170 million people? cry

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG To Stabilise Economy With N350bn by datola: 5:57am On Mar 23, 2016
The delay in passing the budget is not good for the economy at all. We appreciate the legislative oversight functions of detecting a lot errors in the budget and correcting same. Such errors were overlooked in the past. A change government/legislature should never allow that.

Part of measures to rate the government- both executive and legislature should be early preparation and passage of the national budget.

The N350 billion should be 'released' equitably

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG To Stabilise Economy With N350bn by ShowYourCertificate: 6:01am On Mar 23, 2016
This is a poor decision. Adeosun is certainly not capable of improving our economy. She'll end up destroying it. How can you just dole out cash to contractors simply because they sacked their workers? So you think that cash will make the contractors bring back those that were sacked on a permanent basis? Don't you think the company will still sack those workers when the money given to them expires?

The wise question should have been, "why did those contractors lay off those workers in the first place?" Poor infrastructures such as erratic power supply? Bad roads? Inefficient water supply? Bad government policies such as multiple taxation? Forex policy? Inadequate security? And so on. These are the aspects the government should address with the so called N350bn (that money is too small sef to stimulate an economy such as ours).

The government needs to fix our basic infrastructures, security and implement policies that are favorable to our indigenous firms. In so doing, they'll create millions of jobs for our youths. This is the Lagrange Multiplier effect. Does Adeosun know this? I doubt. Is Buhari knowledgeable on Economics to decipher when Adeosun is derailing? I laugh.

57 Likes 4 Shares

Re: FG To Stabilise Economy With N350bn by NavierStokes(m): 6:04am On Mar 23, 2016
It's like indirectly someone has started discreetly printing money.

Where is onatisi my man, the owner/keeper of Buhari's Crystal ball.

Another sure way to increase the inflation and make the naira slide more against the dollar, since we are still dependent on imports.

4 Likes

Re: FG To Stabilise Economy With N350bn by 989900: 6:04am On Mar 23, 2016
datola:
The delay in passing the budget is not good for the economy at all. We appreciate the legislative oversight functions of detecting a lot errors in the budget and correcting same. Such errors were overlooked in the past. A change government/legislature should never allow that.

Part of measures to rate the government- both executive and legislature should be early preparation and passage of the national budget.

The N350 billion should be 'released' equitably

It is getting terribly tiring already . . . absolute insensitivity to the plights of the people.

Is there any word like expedite or emergency in our 'polithiefians' dictionary?

6 Likes

Re: FG To Stabilise Economy With N350bn by Nobody: 6:08am On Mar 23, 2016
I will just be looking at them and wait for their action

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: FG To Stabilise Economy With N350bn by 989900: 6:08am On Mar 23, 2016
ShowYourCertificate:
This is a poor decision. Adeosun is certainly not capable of improving our economy. She'll end up destroying it. [s]How can you just dole out cash to contractors simply because they sacked their workers?[/s] So you think that cash will make the contractors bring back those that were sacked on a permanent basis? Don't you think the company will still sack those workers when the money given to them expires?

The wise question should have been, "why did those contractors lay off those workers in the first place?" Poor infrastructures such as erratic power supply? Bad roads? Inefficient water supply? Bad government policies such as multiple taxation? Inadequate security? And so on. These are the aspects the government should address with the so called N350bn (that money is too small sef to stimulate an economy such as ours).

The government needs to fix our basic infrastructures, security and implement policies that are favorable to our indigenous firms. In so doing, they'll create millions of jobs for our youths. This is the Lagrange Multiplier effect. Does Adeosun know this? I doubt. [s]Is Buhari knowledgeable on Economics to decipher when Adeosun is derailing?[/s] I laugh.

The gov't is simply part-paying what it owes them contractors in that specific case -- read again -- it matters a lot to those out of jobs, even if it means nothing to you.

I agree with the parts in bold though.

20 Likes

Re: FG To Stabilise Economy With N350bn by Godfullsam(m): 6:09am On Mar 23, 2016
350,000,000,000/170,000,000 = 2058.823.

Nonesence cry

I need my own share o ! At all at all na im badt grin.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG To Stabilise Economy With N350bn by centlevi: 6:10am On Mar 23, 2016
Well thats a good move if the fund will be used judiciously..

My people oya make una show me some love today is my birthday....muuuuuah!
cool

19 Likes

Re: FG To Stabilise Economy With N350bn by ShowYourCertificate: 6:15am On Mar 23, 2016
989900:

The gov't is simply part-paying what it owes them contractors in that specific case -- read again -- it matters a lot to those out of jobs, even if it means nothing to you.

I agree with the parts in bold though.
What you wrote in the bolded is a big lie that you manufactured from space. The government didn't say they were paying contractors that were owed. Rather they were paying "contractors who have laid off staff" in the past. Those contractors will need to tell the government "how many Nigerians they are going to PUT BACK to work as a result of this money”

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG To Stabilise Economy With N350bn by disloman(m): 6:22am On Mar 23, 2016
I see some people comments.They don't understand an atom of what they just read.350B will goes a long way in stabilising the economy.We gat to do things different this time around.PMB!I'm waiting for you to revoke the privatisation of the power sector. God bless PMB.

8 Likes

Re: FG To Stabilise Economy With N350bn by ShowYourCertificate: 6:24am On Mar 23, 2016
disloman:
I see some people comments.They don't understand an atom of what they just read.350B will goes a long way in stabilising the economy.We gat to do things different this time around.PMB!I'm waiting for you to revoke the privatisation of the power sector. God bless PMB.
I don't understand an atom of what you just wrote in the bolded?

5 Likes

Re: FG To Stabilise Economy With N350bn by ShowYourCertificate: 6:28am On Mar 23, 2016
centlevi:
Well thats a good move if the fund will be used judiciously..

My people oya make una show me some love today is my birthday....muuuuuah!
cool

Even if that money is used judiciously it will not improve the economy but would rather worsen it on the long run. What they are doing is a cosmetic approach. It will certainly wash off.

Happy Birthday.

6 Likes

Re: FG To Stabilise Economy With N350bn by ghostdvirus(m): 6:34am On Mar 23, 2016
Re: FG To Stabilise Economy With N350bn by VocalWalls: 6:35am On Mar 23, 2016
Nonsense
Re: FG To Stabilise Economy With N350bn by Sijo01(f): 6:35am On Mar 23, 2016
We are waiting.
Re: FG To Stabilise Economy With N350bn by eleojo23: 6:36am On Mar 23, 2016
Let's see how far that will help us.
Re: FG To Stabilise Economy With N350bn by greatiyk4u(m): 6:37am On Mar 23, 2016
freeze001:
Will this piecemeal release of what appearsappears to be 'bailout' funds be feasible in the long run? Are they going to continue like this? What is in place or has been resolved to get the economy function optimally without the need for these government interventions?

What is needed is structural rather than cosmetic reform. Asking for guarantee from contractors as regards how many people they will be re-engaged before the release of the funds is laughable.

Should we say the government is now resorting to bribing contractors to engage people? That should be something that flows naturally when necessary infrastructure are in place with a conducive environment for business. If the FG owes contractors then pay them and don't make it contingent on how many people they will re-engage. The emphasis should be on timely delivery of high quality contract projects which will serve members of the public.

Did u comprehend the article?

6 Likes

Re: FG To Stabilise Economy With N350bn by GlorifiedTunde(m): 6:37am On Mar 23, 2016
Now that's whatsup! grin

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: FG To Stabilise Economy With N350bn by Abduletudaye(m): 6:38am On Mar 23, 2016
Never knew FG would still have this huge sum undecided
Re: FG To Stabilise Economy With N350bn by Noblebrown7(m): 6:38am On Mar 23, 2016
Isn't dat dia job?

1 Like

Re: FG To Stabilise Economy With N350bn by SleekMallam: 6:38am On Mar 23, 2016
The economy is experiencing erectile dysfunction and needs to be simulated by Adeosun with 350billion. That's some expensive Mouth Gig from the finance minister.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG To Stabilise Economy With N350bn by pendusky(m): 6:38am On Mar 23, 2016
Re: FG To Stabilise Economy With N350bn by html14java(f): 6:39am On Mar 23, 2016
grin grin
Re: FG To Stabilise Economy With N350bn by Morkavictor: 6:39am On Mar 23, 2016
A clueless decision made by the Daura President.

1 Like

Re: FG To Stabilise Economy With N350bn by Nobody: 6:40am On Mar 23, 2016
J
Re: FG To Stabilise Economy With N350bn by skyman200(m): 6:41am On Mar 23, 2016
This is how they squander how money, when will nigeria be a developed country?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Of What Benefit Is Signing Of The 2016 Budget To The Common Man On The Street? / Abandoned Recreational Center Built By DESOPADEC In Isoko Delta State (Photos) / Stop Gloating, Atiku Will Soon Reclaim His Mandate- PDP Tells President Buhari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.