Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,235 members, 7,818,783 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:14 AM

FG To Stabilise Economy With N350bn - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FG To Stabilise Economy With N350bn (22050 Views)

Recession: FG Releases Fresh N350bn To Boost Economy / FG To Boost Economy With N350bn / FG To Stabilise Economy With N350bn (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FG To Stabilise Economy With N350bn by Rick9(m): 8:20am On Mar 23, 2016
they don't understand anything
Re: FG To Stabilise Economy With N350bn by ozyblazze: 8:25am On Mar 23, 2016
They can release all the billions and trillions they want and we'll see no improvement in the economy. God will help us
Re: FG To Stabilise Economy With N350bn by danites3: 8:25am On Mar 23, 2016
greenpasture:

This is an internationally accepted way of reflating an economy without causing inflation. This method ties money to the creation of new value ( roads, bridges, sewage systems, power, water provision etc). The method Nigeria has used through independence is " trickle down" economics by which a few people receive massive sums of money in the HOPE that it will get to the base of the pyramid. This method on the other hand seeks firstly to provide income to the people at the base of the pyramid while financing infrastructure for business. Secondly the amounts being given to these beneficiaries will have a multiplier on other businesses such as food sellers, agriculture production, and other citizens. Thirdly the amounts received by these people in the initial chain is unlikely to become either dollarized or to experience Capital flight outside Nigeria

Some people believe this government has no economic policy and they are wrong. Here is the policy:
1. Reject devaluation of the naira. Devaluation only works for exporting countries not import driven economies like Nigeria
2. Diversify the economy through points 3 and 4 below.
3. Create incentive for local products by defending certain local industries using high import tariffs and low official dollar allocation
4. Stimulate the local economy through intervention funds specially calibrated for the 100m plus Nigerians at the base of the pyramid
5. Reduce deficit through the effective mobilization of cash ( taxes i.e. stamp duty, single government account)
Of course 1-4 disfavor importation and trading which is essentially what goes on in Nigeria. Nigeria is basically an international outpost for the world's goods. This has really hurt Nigeria. The change in policy will hurt a lot of people in the short term. But in the long term creativity and innovation will create new sustainable jobs that profit from rather than being victims of international trade.

The economy is in critical shape and the government has placed a bet on the Nigerian people, not a few oligarchs. Everyone between 21-35 has to stop thinking job and start thinking enterprise. That's where the opportunities are and believe me with a strong business model, partnerships to scale, a well defined customer segment, this age group can take on the world ( IF they stop slavishly following celebrity life and take responsibility for their own lives instead if moaning and doing nothing)

My company funds start ups and I can tell you it's easier to fund in Ghana or East Africa because most young people here either lack fundamental skills or are not creative enough in a positive sense.

I continue to believe though - we've had some successes - and they have been stellar. Avoiding discouragement and a victim mentality is the first step. Afghanistan still makes the world's most expensive carpets but they've been at war for the last forty odd years. It's not the circumstances but the heart and mind. You are brainy. I salute you sir!

1 Like

Re: FG To Stabilise Economy With N350bn by judondasylva(m): 8:28am On Mar 23, 2016
those of you that are ranting here should shut up. after all when the south east refused to vote him many of you called us all sorts of names that we always miscalculate political decisions. now who was right? those that voted him as President or those refused to vote him as President? I want you guys to react to my comment. who is wiser?

1 Like

Re: FG To Stabilise Economy With N350bn by amagunnerfan: 8:28am On Mar 23, 2016
ShowYourCertificate:
This is a poor decision. Adeosun is certainly not capable of improving our economy. She'll end up destroying it. How can you just dole out cash to contractors simply because they sacked their workers? So you think that cash will make the contractors bring back those that were sacked on a permanent basis? Don't you think the company will still sack those workers when the money given to them expires?

The wise question should have been, "why did those contractors lay off those workers in the first place?" Poor infrastructures such as erratic power supply? Bad roads? Inefficient water supply? Bad government policies such as multiple taxation? Forex policy? Inadequate security? And so on. These are the aspects the government should address with the so called N350bn (that money is too small sef to stimulate an economy such as ours).

The government needs to fix our basic infrastructures, security and implement policies that are favorable to our indigenous firms. In so doing, they'll create millions of jobs for our youths. This is the Lagrange Multiplier effect. Does Adeosun know this? I doubt. Is Buhari knowledgeable on Economics to decipher when Adeosun is derailing? I laugh.
She is not daft, she has better qualifications than you for a reason and she is definitely not DOLING out cash.

They are simply pay contractors who are owed money. Not dashing it to them. Unless off course you want everything spelt out for you in ABC.

1 Like

Re: FG To Stabilise Economy With N350bn by OlujobaSamuel: 8:29am On Mar 23, 2016
plaetton:

I still don't get it.

I am trying to figure out How the government wishes to stimulate economic activities by waging a proxy war on CAPITAL.
It makes absolutely NO sense. undecided

Almost every policy adopted by this regime from dollar restrictions, so-called anti-moneylaudering bill, TSA mop up, interest rate increase, etc, all seem to be Anti- Capital, anti business and anti liquidity.

It's like the government is using both it's monetary and so-called anti corruption policies to wage war on it's own
Economic policies.

It's confusion galore.
we have the surplus and deficit sector in any given economy.
Government policies are meant to balance up the scale which can never be balanced till the end of time.
for every policy, there will always be human reaction to it, the surplus unit will be scared of losing control of that which they have.
Re: FG To Stabilise Economy With N350bn by Babaji111(m): 8:30am On Mar 23, 2016
GOOD! Very soon many people will cover themselves with shame.

Let the budget be approved, BABA shall be vindicated and the wailers' would just simply shut their mouths as nothing to discuss again.

TIME SHALL TELL.

1 Like

Re: FG To Stabilise Economy With N350bn by Mistermamus(m): 8:32am On Mar 23, 2016
If nothing is done by mid of this year ehn na garri ppl go drink The suffering n hardship is terrible
Re: FG To Stabilise Economy With N350bn by rakish(m): 8:34am On Mar 23, 2016
ShowYourCertificate:
This is a poor decision. Adeosun is certainly not capable of improving our economy. She'll end up destroying it. How can you just dole out cash to contractors simply because they sacked their workers? So you think that cash will make the contractors bring back those that were sacked on a permanent basis? Don't you think the company will still sack those workers when the money given to them expires?

The wise question should have been, "why did those contractors lay off those workers in the first place?" Poor infrastructures such as erratic power supply? Bad roads? Inefficient water supply? Bad government policies such as multiple taxation? Forex policy? Inadequate security? And so on. These are the aspects the government should address with the so called N350bn (that money is too small sef to stimulate an economy such as ours).

The government needs to fix our basic infrastructures, security and implement policies that are favorable to our indigenous firms. In so doing, they'll create millions of jobs for our youths. This is the Lagrange Multiplier effect. Does Adeosun know this? I doubt. Is Buhari knowledgeable on Economics to decipher when Adeosun is derailing? I laugh.
Did you even read the news well? Or you can't just see any good thing this government is doing or planning to do? Will the contractors be given contracts just because the government want them to employ people?

1 Like

Re: FG To Stabilise Economy With N350bn by Exceptionalkeil(m): 8:38am On Mar 23, 2016
Some peeps are not just objective here. They critisize virtually every effort of the government.
The National Economic council has decided on this money probably as a temporary solution to the crisis rocking our economy.. Coz from the write up I have not seen anywhere it was written that this is a pamanent solution to d crisis.
Now I am in support of this coz it would take a long time to fix the basic infrastructures in our country so therefore we have to put in place a temporary solution while we work on the permanent solution.

You can keep criticizing the goverment on this probably becoz you still have a job you go to everyday... Have you taught about those peeps at home with no hope of income at d end of the month ? How can the government start a project that would not impact on d citizen in 1 to 2 years while they can just get people back to work through this funds while they work on a permanent solution.. We all need to think deep, believe in this country ones again and be optimistic of a better tomorrow through a collective effort at resolving our challenges .

Long Live Nigeria.

3 Likes

Re: FG To Stabilise Economy With N350bn by Loonyy(m): 8:40am On Mar 23, 2016
ShowYourCertificate:
What you wrote in the bolded is a big lie that you manufactured from space. The government didn't say they were paying contractors that were owed. Rather they were paying "contractors who have laid off staff" in the past. Those contractors will need to tell the government "how many Nigerians they are going to PUT BACK to work as a result of this money”
Zombie Spotted, hw can the government just pay money to contractors who laid off their staffs just like that without any form of value in return? Me I tire o
Re: FG To Stabilise Economy With N350bn by Kizyte(m): 8:40am On Mar 23, 2016
Nelkoko:
Will 350 billion remedy d damage done? 4 d economy to move to d permanent site buhari shld jejely resign cos dats our only solution
You've hit the nail on its head! Nice suggestion!
Re: FG To Stabilise Economy With N350bn by tete7000(m): 8:47am On Mar 23, 2016
Iwoyi l'aro?
Re: FG To Stabilise Economy With N350bn by samuelson06(m): 8:47am On Mar 23, 2016
freeze001:
Will this piecemeal release of what appearsappears to be 'bailout' funds be feasible in the long run? Are they going to continue like this? What is in place or has been resolved to get the economy function optimally without the need for these government interventions?

What is needed is structural rather than cosmetic reform. Asking for guarantee from contractors as regards how many people they will be re-engaged before the release of the funds is laughable.

Should we say the government is now resorting to bribing contractors to engage people? That should be something that flows naturally when necessary infrastructure are in place with a conducive environment for business. If the FG owes contractors then pay them and don't make it contingent on how many people they will re-engage. The emphasis should be on timely delivery of high quality contract projects which will serve members of the public.

You are certainly on point. At times I wonder the nature of people that make up our executives. I wonder if they went to school at all. How can a people sit, waste our time and resources and ended up with a resolution such as this? Is this not a display of ignorance and a confirmation that they are not ready to move the country forward? These guys don't make sense to me.
Re: FG To Stabilise Economy With N350bn by Nobody: 8:49am On Mar 23, 2016
Nelkoko:
Will 350 billion remedy d damage done? 4 d economy to move to d permanent site buhari shld jejely resign cos dats our only solution
I agree wit u 350 billion to too small too remedy the damage done to our economy but will
buhari resigning solve the problem either. If u don't like him wait till 2019.
Re: FG To Stabilise Economy With N350bn by Nobody: 8:56am On Mar 23, 2016
porka:

This same argument was made when petroleum marketers' subsidy was being paid.

In fact, Lai Mohammed boastfully said the money would eradicate fuel queues in 'matter of days'. That was in December 2015. Is their anything to show that fuel queues have disappeared now?

The money paid to the importers and states went where? To banks , to pay off workers already in debt. It paid off debts that have been rebuilt due to over employment at state level.

Mr Man, this your type of elementary economic analysis will cost this country greatly. This N350b will not affect the common man on the street YET.

The contractors are simply being paid for what they have done. The money is not for new projects. Contractors themselves don't own 100% of the money. They must settle arrears of regular repayment to their creditors plus accumulated interests.
The money is not a gift it is tied to participation in contracts to be awarded from the infrastructure fund

This type of thinking can't even work in Idumota or Kartin Kwari or Ariaria market, how much less a very complex economy like Nigeria.
Exactly, it's not supposed to work in the market, its supposed supposed create new productive Ventures not trading. Your trading bias is showing.

Government waited for too long before acting. And when it seems they are finally acting, they are doling money out like drunken sailors.

Economic recovery should be premised on constant and continuous spending by everyone. You can't be boasting of having trillion naira in government account and bringing out paltry sums occasionally and claiming you want to reflate the economy.

And everyone is who? The 15% educated elite or the 70% masses? Have you seen anyone selling agricultural products complaining or have you noticed local carpenters crying? The "everyone" you talk about is who?

28 states were similarly 'bailed-out' last year. It was only a scratch on the surface. Workers, and the pepper sellers you mentioned are back to extreme hardship.
A large proportion of those bailout funds went to bank debts, the rest to the inefficient, over bloated " my friends and relations" civil service.

Your arguments are familiar to me. The basic error behind them is a misunderstanding of where wealth is located within the pyramid and which segment is needed to Kickstart sustainable growth. I can tell tell for sure it's people way down the pyramid, which I understand can be a tad upsetting to the educated, Internet savvy blue blood capitalist. But that's the way this game will play out. Best to adjust to that. Talk again in 18 months. I am off to inspect some cattle.
Re: FG To Stabilise Economy With N350bn by Nobody: 8:57am On Mar 23, 2016
porka:

This same argument was made when petroleum marketers' subsidy was being paid.

In fact, Lai Mohammed boastfully said the money would eradicate fuel queues in 'matter of days'. That was in December 2015. Is their anything to show that fuel queues have disappeared now?

The money paid to the importers and states went where? To banks , to pay off workers already in debt. It paid off debts that have been rebuilt due to over employment at state level.

Mr Man, this your type of elementary economic analysis will cost this country greatly. This N350b will not affect the common man on the street YET.

The contractors are simply being paid for what they have done. The money is not for new projects. Contractors themselves don't own 100% of the money. They must settle arrears of regular repayment to their creditors plus accumulated interests.
The money is not a gift it is tied to participation in contracts to be awarded from the infrastructure fund

This type of thinking can't even work in Idumota or Kartin Kwari or Ariaria market, how much less a very complex economy like Nigeria.
Exactly, it's not supposed to work in the market, its supposed supposed create new productive Ventures not trading. Your trading bias is showing.

Government waited for too long before acting. And when it seems they are finally acting, they are doling money out like drunken sailors.

Economic recovery should be premised on constant and continuous spending by everyone. You can't be boasting of having trillion naira in government account and bringing out paltry sums occasionally and claiming you want to reflate the economy.

And everyone is who? The 15% elite/ their down line professionals/employees or the 70% masses? Have you seen anyone selling agricultural products complaining or have you noticed local carpenters crying? The "everyone" you talk about is who?

28 states were similarly 'bailed-out' last year. It was only a scratch on the surface. Workers, and the pepper sellers you mentioned are back to extreme hardship.
A large proportion of those bailout funds went to bank debts, the rest to the inefficient, over bloated " my friends and relations" civil service.

Your arguments are familiar to me. The basic error behind them is a misunderstanding of where wealth is located within the pyramid and which segment is needed to Kickstart sustainable growth. I can tell tell for sure it's people way down the pyramid, which I understand can be a tad upsetting to the educated, Internet savvy blue blood capitalist. But that's the way this game will play out. Best to adjust to that. Talk again in 18 months. I am off to inspect some cattle.
Re: FG To Stabilise Economy With N350bn by mmsen: 9:07am On Mar 23, 2016
freeze001:
Will this piecemeal release of what appears to be 'bailout' funds be feasible in the long run? Are they going to continue like this? What is in place or has been resolved to get the economy function optimally without the need for these government interventions?

What is needed is structural rather than cosmetic reform. Asking for guarantee from contractors as regards how many people they will be re-engaged before the release of the funds is laughable.

Should we say the government is now resorting to bribing contractors to engage people? That should be something that flows naturally when necessary infrastructure are in place with a conducive environment for business. If the FG owes contractors then pay them and don't make it contingent on how many people they will re-engage. The emphasis should be on timely delivery of high quality contract projects which will serve members of the public.

You should know by now that this government has no idea how an economy works. That was plain from the beginning when they were promising to 'stabilize the price of oil'; to make the naira equal to the dollar; to create the millions of jobs that they farcically claimed that they would on entering government; or when they lied that they provide 5,000 per month for the poor.
Re: FG To Stabilise Economy With N350bn by TalkingBird: 9:08am On Mar 23, 2016
The problem is :
“Also, there will be signs in the sun and moon and stars,+ and on the earth anguish of nations not knowing the way out because of the roaring of the sea and its agitation. 26 People will become faint out of fear and expectation of the things coming upon the inhabited earth, for the powers of the heavens will be shaken." Luke chapter 21 vs 25,26
javascript:void(0);
Sea: Means people
Heavens: governments of the earth.

so the situation will continue world over until........
Re: FG To Stabilise Economy With N350bn by Deeman1(m): 9:09am On Mar 23, 2016
freeze001:
Will this piecemeal release of what appears to be 'bailout' funds be feasible in the long run? Are they going to continue like this? What is in place or has been resolved to get the economy function optimally without the need for these government interventions?

I don't know you or have seen you before but from this post your show of intelligence is all I dream for in a wife, babe if you are still single and available then I am ready to put a ring on it
Re: FG To Stabilise Economy With N350bn by lakesidew2: 9:09am On Mar 23, 2016
ShowYourCertificate:

u see, those problems have been there long before this government came into power, but people were not laid of. what you actually don't know is that, when contractors are owned, there is no way workers will be paid, light or not, good roads or not, good water supply or not sir.
Re: FG To Stabilise Economy With N350bn by chyket(m): 9:21am On Mar 23, 2016
I clearly don't understand this economic model,the CBN recently increased the interest rate and cash reserved ratio for banks all in a bid to reduce money supply and curb inflation and a week later finance Minister is injecting 350b to reflate the economy!!This is clearly contradictory.
Re: FG To Stabilise Economy With N350bn by chyket(m): 9:23am On Mar 23, 2016
I clearly don't understand this economic model,the CBN recently increased the interest rate and cash reserved ratio for banks all in a bid to reduce money supply and curb inflation and a week later finance Minister is injecting 350b to reflate the economy!!This is clearly contradictory.[color=#006600][/color]
Re: FG To Stabilise Economy With N350bn by freeze001(f): 9:28am On Mar 23, 2016
Deeman1:

I don't know you or have seen you before but from this post your show of intelligence is all I dream for in a wife, babe if you are still single and available then I am ready to put a ring on it

Hehehe, thanks for the compliment.
Re: FG To Stabilise Economy With N350bn by yaki84: 9:38am On Mar 23, 2016
telltimes:

http://punchng.com/fg-to-stabilise-economy-with-n350bn/

I hope the money is captured in the budget cos if it isnt then they shud be prepared to account for every monies they hv spent so far illegally beginning from the bailout funds.
Re: FG To Stabilise Economy With N350bn by yaki84: 9:45am On Mar 23, 2016
datola:
The delay in passing the budget is not good for the economy at all. We appreciate the legislative oversight functions of detecting a lot errors in the budget and correcting same. Such errors were overlooked in the past. A change government/legislature should never allow that.

Part of measures to rate the government- both executive and legislature should be early preparation and passage of the national budget.

The N350 billion should be 'released' equitably

such errors were not thr cos we had opposition in the house. or r u saying the opposition then were zombies?
femi was apc minority leader in reps, that kleptocrat former benue govr was minority leader in the senate n they didnt realised it? nation paper, sahara reporters n punch all anti pdp was still in circulation all thru the 4yrs of gej n they didnt spot it? the only anomaly that was spotted in gej's budget was the 1billion naira feeding which me was angry n frown at, thank God he revert it. but has buhari revert his own 1.7billion for feeding?
u shud be happy d opposition now r educated n sensible people who hv the interest of nigerians at heart.

1 Like

Re: FG To Stabilise Economy With N350bn by yaki84: 9:53am On Mar 23, 2016
disloman:
I see some people comments.They don't understand an atom of what they just read.350B will goes a long way in stabilising the economy.We gat to do things different this time around.PMB!I'm waiting for you to revoke the privatisation of the power sector. God bless PMB.

is this money captured in d budget?
if they like inject 3trillion or more but they shud always do d right thing first.
Re: FG To Stabilise Economy With N350bn by agitator: 9:56am On Mar 23, 2016
greenpasture:

This is an internationally accepted way of reflating an economy without causing inflation. This method ties money to the creation of new value ( roads, bridges, sewage systems, power, water provision etc). The method Nigeria has used through independence is " trickle down" economics by which a few people receive massive sums of money in the HOPE that it will get to the base of the pyramid. This method on the other hand seeks firstly to provide income to the people at the base of the pyramid while financing infrastructure for business. Secondly the amounts being given to these beneficiaries will have a multiplier on other businesses such as food sellers, agriculture production, and other citizens. Thirdly the amounts received by these people in the initial chain is unlikely to become either dollarized or to experience Capital flight outside Nigeria

Some people believe this government has no economic policy and they are wrong. Here is the policy:
1. Reject devaluation of the naira. Devaluation only works for exporting countries not import driven economies like Nigeria
2. Diversify the economy through points 3 and 4 below.
3. Create incentive for local products by defending certain local industries using high import tariffs and low official dollar allocation
4. Stimulate the local economy through intervention funds specially calibrated for the 100m plus Nigerians at the base of the pyramid
5. Reduce deficit through the effective mobilization of cash ( taxes i.e. stamp duty, single government account)
Of course 1-4 disfavor importation and trading which is essentially what goes on in Nigeria. Nigeria is basically an international outpost for the world's goods. This has really hurt Nigeria. The change in policy will hurt a lot of people in the short term. But in the long term creativity and innovation will create new sustainable jobs that profit from rather than being victims of international trade.

The economy is in critical shape and the government has placed a bet on the Nigerian people, not a few oligarchs. [b]Everyone between 21-35 has to stop thinking job and start thinking enterprise. [/b]That's where the opportunities are and believe me with a strong business model, partnerships to scale, a well defined customer segment, this age group can take on the world ( IF they stop slavishly following celebrity life and take responsibility for their own lives instead if moaning and doing nothing)

My company funds start ups and I can tell you it's easier to fund in Ghana or East Africa because most young people here either lack fundamental skills or are not creative enough in a positive sense.

I continue to believe though - we've had some successes - and they have been stellar. Avoiding discouragement and a victim mentality is the first step. Afghanistan still makes the world's most expensive carpets but they've been at war for the last forty odd years. It's not the circumstances but the heart and mind.

So you want people who cannot raise capital to think enterprise while those with enough funds/cash get the government jobs. wink wink wink
Re: FG To Stabilise Economy With N350bn by Goke7: 10:01am On Mar 23, 2016
amagunnerfan:
She is not daft, she has better qualifications than you for a reason and she is definitely not DOLING out cash.

They are simply pay contractors who are owed money. Not dashing it to them. Unless off course you want everything spelt out for you in ABC.

na u de waste time on the wailers, doling out cash is the only language they understand, e.g. dasukigate. PMB not doling out cash like GEJ is the major reason the wailers will never see anything good in PMB
Re: FG To Stabilise Economy With N350bn by demzey(m): 10:05am On Mar 23, 2016
I tot CBN said there was too much money in d economy causing overheating, so it opted for tight monetary policy, now the FMF wants to inject #350bn into d economy for stabilizing it, y r dese ppl contradicting demselves. Or maybe sum1 sud help me breakdown how dis money will b disbursed. No wonda Ngozi was fighting for coordinating minister, wen she was at d helm of FMF activities.
Re: FG To Stabilise Economy With N350bn by jogojogo: 10:08am On Mar 23, 2016
ShowYourCertificate:

You read yet lacked simple understanding because you allowed sentiment blinded your sense of comprehension. I also pity all those who "liked" the sillines of your comment. That shows how complex our problem has metamorphosed as a nation.

Back to the comment, the desicion was not initiated unilaterally by Adeosun but was simply an outcome after critical brainstorm by participants of the Economic Sumit. Who are these participants? State Governors, Ministers, major players in the Economics like Dangote, Tony Elumelu and the likes.

Most times people stay afar and critisice ignorantly as if they have better idea, while the little task under their purview suffers greatly....this reminding me of Sunday Oliseh.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG To Stabilise Economy With N350bn by authority4mmaku: 10:27am On Mar 23, 2016
Another means of stealing our money in billions, from chain to destabilize, our economy is now stabilizer that herd men plays with it

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Corruption: Why I Refused To Declare My Assets -jonathan / PDP Plotted Igbo Hate Song - APC Chairman, Oyegun / Youths Protest Rumoured Plan By Saraki, Others To Rejoin PDP

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 103
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.