Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,167,311 members, 7,867,821 topics. Date: Saturday, 22 June 2024 at 03:16 AM

Jonathan Was Right, Stealing Is Not Corruption – ICPC Boss - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan Was Right, Stealing Is Not Corruption – ICPC Boss (486 Views)

How Jonathan Was Deceived, Sabotaged By His Own Cabinet, Others – Wike / Why Was There Little Call For Biafra When Jonathan Was In Power? / Stealing Is Not Corruption - Ekpo Nta, ICPC Boss (2) (3) (4)

(1)

Jonathan Was Right, Stealing Is Not Corruption – ICPC Boss by emamos: 2:19pm On Mar 23, 2016
The Independent Corrupt Practices Commissions (ICPC) Chairman, Mr. Ekpo Nta, has reiterated his view that “stealing is not corruption.”
Speaking to a team of The Nation in Lagos , Nta explained that his commission would fare better if there was a proper understanding of the word corruption.
Ex President Goodluck Jonathan came under fire from the opposition when he said , on presidential media chat that stealing is not corruption.
But Nta argued that from the United Nations Convention Against Corruption (ONCAC) and the ICPC Act, the first item that falls under corrupt practices is bribery in public and private offices.
He backed up his views with Articles 15 and 16 of UNCAC and sections 8, 9 and 10 of the ICPC Act.
He listed what is considered as corruption under Article 19 of UNCAC and Section 19 of the ICPC Act as: illicit enrichment, trading in influence etc.
He said further “If I walk into your office and I say that I have been sent by the president that this contact you are about to award must be awarded to me and now drop his card or the president’s card on the table. This is also an offence under corrupt practice.”
According to him, the controversy emanating from the definition of corruption is as a result of a long entrenched misunderstanding of the vice.
“If you don’t know what you are fighting then you might be busy fighting other things and thinking you are addressing the problem,” he stated.
Nta reiterated that the major function of the ICPC is to check abuse of office by public office holders and government officials.
Stealing, he said, falls under the criminal code and should be reported to the police.
Lalasticlala
http://pointblanknews.com/pbn/exclusive/jonathan-right-stealing-not-corruption-icpc-boss/
Re: Jonathan Was Right, Stealing Is Not Corruption – ICPC Boss by emamos: 2:20pm On Mar 23, 2016
It is well
Re: Jonathan Was Right, Stealing Is Not Corruption – ICPC Boss by Mynd44: 2:25pm On Mar 23, 2016

(1)

Badeh Begs-Order My Release From Prison Without Efcc’s Consent –Dailypost / Ambode Commission Electrification Project For 67 Communities. / Nigeria To Lunch Astronaut In Space By 2030, Says Onu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 7
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.