Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,442 members, 7,812,323 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 11:38 AM

Stealing Is Not Corruption - Ekpo Nta, ICPC Boss - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Stealing Is Not Corruption - Ekpo Nta, ICPC Boss (25005 Views)

Nigerians See Corrupt Politicians As Heroes – Osinbajo, ICPC Boss / ''Ekpo Nta Is Not Sacked'' - ICPC Releases statement (photo) / Flash:Buhari Sacks Chairman Of ICPC Mr Ekpo Nta,a Closs Ally Of Godswill Akpabio (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Stealing Is Not Corruption - Ekpo Nta, ICPC Boss by dlox147(m): 6:57am On Mar 23, 2016
The Independent Corrupt Practices Commissions (ICPC) Chairman, Mr. Ekpo Nta, has reiterated his view that “stealing is not corruption.”

Speaking to a team of The Nation on Sunday in Lagos at the weekend, Nta explained that his commission would fare better if there was a proper understanding of the word corruption.

According to him, the controversy emanating from the definition of corruption is as a result of a long entrenched misunderstanding of the vice.

“If you don’t know what you are fighting then you might be busy fighting other things and thinking you are addressing the problem,” he stated.

The ICPC chairman, who has been criticised in the media for saying “stealing is not corruption”, stated that from the United Nations Convention Against Corruption (ONCAC) and the ICPC Act, the first item that falls under corrupt practices is bribery in public and private offices.

He backed up his views with Articles 15 and 16 of UNCAC and sections 8, 9 and 10 of the ICPC Act.
He listed what is considered as corruption under Article 19 of UNCAC and Section 19 of the ICPC Act as: illicit enrichment, trading in influence etc.

Explaining what he calls constitutes corruption, the ICPC chairman said: “If I walk into your office and I say that I have been sent by the president that this contact you are about to award must be awarded to me and now drop his card or the president’s card on the table. This is also an offence under corrupt practice.”

Nta reiterated that the major function of the ICPC is to check abuse of office by public office holders and government officials.
Stealing, he said, falls under the criminal code and should be reported to the police.

http://thenationonlineng.net/corruption-different-stealing-icpc-boss/#top

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Stealing Is Not Corruption - Ekpo Nta, ICPC Boss by boboLIL(m): 7:02am On Mar 23, 2016
Stealing is not corruption buh apc is corruption

Some zombies will attack. Me buh they are losers....

Buhari is a great' confusionist' ...

GEJ God BLESS YOU... They are now quoting you... Stealing is not corruption...

163 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Stealing Is Not Corruption - Ekpo Nta, ICPC Boss by ckmayoca: 7:03am On Mar 23, 2016
We all know they are different. It was twisted to frustrate GEJs administration.
Same game is used toward buhari now. He says this, and ppl term it to that, if u come to explain what u mean, you now look like a fool.

178 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Stealing Is Not Corruption - Ekpo Nta, ICPC Boss by ckmayoca: 7:06am On Mar 23, 2016
Na thieve full our politics.
Re: Stealing Is Not Corruption - Ekpo Nta, ICPC Boss by onyi4edu(f): 7:07am On Mar 23, 2016
GEJ was so right when he made that statement. The two words are not even synonymous

Inasmuch as this is true, both practices are bad and must be condemned

112 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Stealing Is Not Corruption - Ekpo Nta, ICPC Boss by dlox147(m): 7:10am On Mar 23, 2016
ckmayoca:
We all know they are different. It was twisted to frustrate GEJs administration.
Same game is used toward buhari now. He says this, and ppl term it to that, if u come to explain what u mean, you now look like a fool.
not everyone agree', I have, in so many cases encountered educated men and women who still can't distinguish the difference.

They even laugh at you when you try to explain.

29 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Stealing Is Not Corruption - Ekpo Nta, ICPC Boss by genxris: 7:11am On Mar 23, 2016
When GEJ said it, opposition and his haters twisted it in a different context and kept dancing to it.

75 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Stealing Is Not Corruption - Ekpo Nta, ICPC Boss by pmc01(m): 7:14am On Mar 23, 2016
You still do not get the point. It is not in the place of the President to make such distinction. What was the need anyway? You know how Nigerians love to excuse wrongdoings and he still provides them a good cover to 'steal' because it is different from 'corruption'. Who doesn't know how to search the dictionary for the meaning of the words?

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Stealing Is Not Corruption - Ekpo Nta, ICPC Boss by temitemi1(m): 7:15am On Mar 23, 2016
God Bless My Hero(GEJ) cool cool

119 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Stealing Is Not Corruption - Ekpo Nta, ICPC Boss by NobleAngell(f): 7:16am On Mar 23, 2016
Well I think I kindaf agree with him that they differ. But stealing is a corrupt practice.

11 Likes

Re: Stealing Is Not Corruption - Ekpo Nta, ICPC Boss by tunwumi: 7:17am On Mar 23, 2016
It can't be that's what lead to #Dasukigate

EFCC need to check this man out. Maybe he has something that he's hoping we can't lead to this anti corruption crusade

1 Like

Re: Stealing Is Not Corruption - Ekpo Nta, ICPC Boss by domopps(m): 7:17am On Mar 23, 2016
Those are two diff words and with totally diff meanings....

An educated customer to my company almost bite off my ear for trying explain to him.....even tho I told him am a chronic APC supporter and Member!

Cheeeeeeers

22 Likes

Re: Stealing Is Not Corruption - Ekpo Nta, ICPC Boss by BLINGZ88: 7:17am On Mar 23, 2016
I watched when gej said that nd the illitrate apc members twisted the whole thing even osibanjo who might not have watched the show commented now they complain that people read new meaning into what they say... Karma nd his brother of nemesis have visited.

69 Likes 1 Share

Re: Stealing Is Not Corruption - Ekpo Nta, ICPC Boss by Nobody: 7:18am On Mar 23, 2016
GEJ is past, Buhari is present.
We don't need definitions of stealing and corruption.

When a budget was stolen before it was even approved, the present regime has shown us what "good governance" is all about.

26 Likes

Re: Stealing Is Not Corruption - Ekpo Nta, ICPC Boss by mackhunter77: 7:22am On Mar 23, 2016
This is more like an "update" to the word " stealing" ...... oya APC make we see una tru colour

7 Likes

Re: Stealing Is Not Corruption - Ekpo Nta, ICPC Boss by Pidggin(f): 7:22am On Mar 23, 2016
This very statement was used to ridicule GEJ, but at last! He has been justified

57 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Stealing Is Not Corruption - Ekpo Nta, ICPC Boss by rottennaija(m): 7:24am On Mar 23, 2016
In Nigeria, stealing and corruption is one and the same thing. Both is working against public interest and must be stopped by all means necessary.

Stealing is now corruption... PMB

[size=13pt]
Why is it that every single topic that may make front page is filled by those that either they cannot offer any sensible comment or just comment to tongue lash this administration? It seems to be the latest tactic of PDP and wailers [/size]

15 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Stealing Is Not Corruption - Ekpo Nta, ICPC Boss by Lattop(m): 7:24am On Mar 23, 2016
Yes he's right but those two are synonymous in nigerians dictionary

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Stealing Is Not Corruption - Ekpo Nta, ICPC Boss by sinistermind(m): 7:34am On Mar 23, 2016
rottennaija:
In Nigeria, stealing and corruption is one and the same thing. Both is working against public interest and must be stopped by all means necessary.

[size=13pt]
Why is it that every single topic that may make front page is filled by those that either they cannot offer any sensible comment or just comment to tongue lash this administration? It seems to be the latest tactic of PDP and wailers [/size]

And why re you so blind to see the wrongs of this administration?

33 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Stealing Is Not Corruption - Ekpo Nta, ICPC Boss by udemzyudex(m): 7:39am On Mar 23, 2016
onyi4edu:
GEJ was so right when he made that statement. The two words are not even synonymous

Inasmuch as this is true, both practices are bad and must be condemned

We know all practice are bad, I believe what GEJ was trying to say is that, stop using the word "corruption" on politicians, they steal money so use the word thief..

People react more to the word thief than corruption,a lot of people didn't understand him.

54 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Stealing Is Not Corruption - Ekpo Nta, ICPC Boss by jlinkd78(m): 7:44am On Mar 23, 2016
rottennaija:

[size=13pt]
f
Re: Stealing Is Not Corruption - Ekpo Nta, ICPC Boss by NgeneUkwenu(f): 7:45am On Mar 23, 2016
Who Appointed Ekpo Nta, the Chairman of ICPC?

3 Likes

Re: Stealing Is Not Corruption - Ekpo Nta, ICPC Boss by AZeD1(m): 7:45am On Mar 23, 2016
dlox147:

He backed up his views with Articles 15 and 16 of UNCAC and sections 8, 9 and 10 of the ICPC Act.
He listed what is considered as corruption under Article 19 of UNCAC and Section 19 of the ICPC Act as: illicit enrichment, trading in influence etc.
Explaining what he calls constitutes corruption, the ICPC chairman said:
Doesn't stealing fall under illicit enrichment?

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Stealing Is Not Corruption - Ekpo Nta, ICPC Boss by onyi4edu(f): 7:45am On Mar 23, 2016
udemzyudex:

We know all practice are bad, I believe what GEJ was trying to say is that, stop using the word "corruption" on politicians, they steal money so use the word thief..

People react more to the word thief than corruption,a lot of people didn't understand him.

We are on same page my brother, the dubious ones just carved out this statement from his speech to make it look like he is supporting one and condemning the other.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Stealing Is Not Corruption - Ekpo Nta, ICPC Boss by dlox147(m): 7:51am On Mar 23, 2016
AZeD1:

Doesn't stealing fall under illicit enrichment?
beans and rice are not the same. But they are both food ain't that? undecided

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Stealing Is Not Corruption - Ekpo Nta, ICPC Boss by blackpanda: 7:53am On Mar 23, 2016
Nigerians are their short memory, warped thinking and utter absolute ignorance. Keep playing around with your futures dumbasses!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Stealing Is Not Corruption - Ekpo Nta, ICPC Boss by AZeD1(m): 7:55am On Mar 23, 2016
dlox147:
beans and rice are not the same. But they are both good ain't that? undecided
Your point please?

2 Likes

Re: Stealing Is Not Corruption - Ekpo Nta, ICPC Boss by dlox147(m): 8:02am On Mar 23, 2016
AZeD1:

Your point please?
Simple Definition of illicit. : not allowed by law.

Even though both stealing and corruption are not allowed by law, there is a distinction between them. And that is basis of this argument.

9 Likes

Re: Stealing Is Not Corruption - Ekpo Nta, ICPC Boss by chukwukadibia10: 8:09am On Mar 23, 2016
We all knows.

Apchit used it for Election

1 Like

Re: Stealing Is Not Corruption - Ekpo Nta, ICPC Boss by AZeD1(m): 8:13am On Mar 23, 2016
dlox147:
Simple Definition of illicit. : not allowed by law.

Even though both stealing and corruption are not allowed by law, there is a distinction between them. And that is basis of this argument.

What about the second part enrichment? Is the word just there for decoration?

4 Likes

Re: Stealing Is Not Corruption - Ekpo Nta, ICPC Boss by chernest2002: 8:21am On Mar 23, 2016
In my opinion, i think the ICPC man was saying that those who stole should be either taken to police for extrajudicial killing or mob action like the way we deal with pick pockets, including you who steal in examination, your shops, doctors in all hospitals, prostitutes, you that hikeFares. Just in Buhari's voice all Nigerians are criminals including himself and should either be send to jail or burn alive, except me and my family.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Stealing Is Not Corruption - Ekpo Nta, ICPC Boss by greatiyk4u(m): 8:25am On Mar 23, 2016

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Dino Melaye‘s Recall Constituents Claim Their Signatures Were Falsified - video / Buhari Approves Upgrade Of Akanu Ibiam Airport Enugu At N10 Billion / Nigeria To Buy 12 Attack Helicopters From Russia

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.