Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,476 members, 7,819,736 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:00 PM

Comparing Obj's Bowing To Ooni With The Bowing To Iara Is Irrational - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Comparing Obj's Bowing To Ooni With The Bowing To Iara Is Irrational (3560 Views)

Governors Bowing To President Buhari In Aso Rock (Video) / Oshiomhole Drives Iara To Obaseki's Inauguration Ceremony / Man Blasted For Bowing For Iara Oshiomhole At A Public Function (pic) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Comparing Obj's Bowing To Ooni With The Bowing To Iara Is Irrational by TonyeBarcanista(m): 5:16pm On Mar 23, 2016
I was going through a thread that showed an image of an elderly man from Edo state bowing to Iara Oshiomole(an image i later saw on Twitter and palmchat) the wife of Edo state Governor Mr Adams Oshiomole. Reading peoples' comments, I observed that some commentators tend to justify the deed by saying that the said man was respecting the "office" that Iara occupies and not the "person" Iara. One even went further to justify it because an 82years old Chief Olusegun Obasanjo could bowed to the 41years old Ooni of Ife. I believe that it is appropriate to speak on this issue.

Iara Oshiomole Carries A Title Not An Office
Firstly, it should be established that Iara Oshiomole, and other spouses of elected and appointed officials does not occupy any office, they only carry title. While the title of first lady of a country and state is assumed by the spouses of the President and Governors respectively, it does not offer them any office in any legal book. There is no such thing as "office of first lady" for Presidents and state Governors in any Act of Parliament or the 1999 constitution which we operate. At best, the title of first lady is an honor voluntarily bestowed on Presidents and Governors' wives, and not an office earned by the wives.

Comparing Ooni of Ife To Any First Lady
Secondly, it is absolutely irrational to compare the respect duly given to the office of the Ooni of Ife to the title of a first lady whether at state or federal level. The Ooni of Ife is both an instuitution and office, that represents the presence(seat) of Oduduwa to the yoruba ethnic group. Apart from being an Institution, it is classed as "Grade A" traditional ruler in Nigeria along with Sultan of Sokoto, Emir of Kano, Olubadan of Ibadan, Oba of Benin and others. In Nigeria's order of Precedence Act, the Ooni(and other high grade traditional rulers) comes number 26th, even higher than the offices of Judges of Federal and States High Courts, as well as higher than members of States Houses of Assembly etc. From the legal perspective, the office of Ooni of Ife is recognised by law of Osun state. That exPresident Obasanjo, a yorubaman bowed to the 41years of Ooni is not out of place.

Meanwhile, the title (not office) of first lady of state or the federation is nowhere to be found in the order of Precedence Act of Nigeria. This is a testament that carriers of the title are not higher in rank to other citizens that are not public office holders. Comparing Obansanjo bowing to his Ooni with a citizen bowing to the titled first lady of Edo state, Mrs Iara Oshiomole is irrational, absurd and inappropriate. The Ooni earned his office in accordance with the requirement for that office, the first lady of Edo didn't earn her title, she was given such honor her through marriage to the Governor. The honor does not confer on her any special right or privilege apart from the emotional and romantic attachment to the state Governor.

While I recognise that every Nigerian deserve to be respected irrespective of status and political attainment, it is in my opinion that we do not denigrate the "office" of the Citizen of the Federal Republic of Nigeria in our bid to justify an act that would not be tolerated in any sane society.

*find below Nigeria's order of Precedence*

May God Bless Us All and Expand Our Wisdom
www.nairaland.com/attachments/3523975_20160323113500_jpeg74ae44029cd8f8f1217586ada6e2d865

3 Likes

Re: Comparing Obj's Bowing To Ooni With The Bowing To Iara Is Irrational by TonyeBarcanista(m): 5:17pm On Mar 23, 2016
NIGERIA ORDER OF PRECEDENCE/PROTOCOL:

(i) The President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria;

(ii) the Vice-President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria;

(iii) the President of the Senate of the Federal Republic of Nigeria;

(iv) the Speaker of the House of Representatives of the Federal Republic of Nigeria;

v) the Chief Justice of Nigeria;

(vi) former Presidents of the Federal Republic of Nigeria;

vii) former Vice-Presidents of the Federal Republic of Nigeria;

(viii) the Deputy President of the Senate of the Federal Republic of Nigeria;

(ix) the Deputy Speaker of the House of Representatives of the Federal Republic
of Nigeria ;

(x) Senators and Members of House of Representatives;

(xi) the Governors of the States of the Federal Republic of Nigeria;

(xii) the President of the Court of Appeal and Justices of the Supreme Court;

(xiii) Ministers of Cabinet Rank of the Federal Republic of Nigeria;

(xiv) The Deputy Governors of the Federal Republic of Nigeria;

(xv) Ministers of State of the Federal Republic of Nigeria;

(xvi) Ambassadors of Foreign Nations;
Former Senate Presidents;
Former Speakers of the House of Representatives;
Former Deputy Senate Presidents;
Former Deputy Speakers of the House of Representatives
Retired Chief Justices of Nigeria;
Former Members of th!9 National Assembly;
Former Elected Governors;

(xviii) the former elected Deputy Governors of the Federal Republic of Nigeria;

(xix) Special Advisers to the President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria;

(xx) the Secretary to the Government of the Federal Republic of Nigeria;

(xxi) the Head of Service of the Federal Republic of Nigeria;
Speakers of the State Houses of Assembly;
the Clerk of the National Assembly of the Federal Republic of Nigeria;
the Chief Registrar of the Supreme Court of the Federal Republic of Nigeria;

(xxii) the Governor of the Central Bank of the Federal Republic of Nigeria; the
Service Chiefs;

(xxiii) the Inspector-General of the Police of the Federal Republic of Nigeria;

(xxiv) the Justices of the Court of Appeal;

(xxv) the Chief Judge of the Federal High Court;
the Chief Judges of States;
the Chief Judge of the High Court of FCT, Abuja;
Grand Kadi and President of the Customary Court of Appeal;

(xxvi) Traditional Rulers by status;

(xxvii) The Judges of the Federal High Court, State High Courts and the High
Court of the FCT, Abuja; ,
Kadis of the Sharia Court of Appeal of the FCT, Abuja;
Judges of the Customary Court of Appeal of the FCT, Abuja;

(xxviii) the Chairman, Civil Service Commission of the Federal Republic of Nigeria;
the Chairman, Independent Electoral Commission of the Federal Republic of
Nigeria;
the Chairman, National Population Commission of the Federal Republic of
Nigeria;
the Chairman, Police Service Commission of the Federal Republic of Nigeria;
the Chairman, Federal Character Commission and Chairmen of other statutory
Commissions of the Federal Republic of Nigeria;

(xxix) the Auditor-General for the Federal Republic of Nigeria; and the Accountant-
General of the Federal Republic of Nigeria;

(Bleep) the Clerk of the Senate of the Federal Republic of Nigeria;
the Clerk of the House of Representatives of the Federal Republic of Nigeria;
the Federal Permanent Secretaries of the Federal Republic of Nigeria;
the Deputy Inspector-General of Police Force of the Federal Republic of
Nigeria;
the Heads of Para-Military organisations of the Federal Republic of Nigeria;
the Special Assistants to the President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria;
Bishops and Imams;

(xxxi) Members of States Houses of Assembly;

(xxxii) Chairmen of Local Government Councils;

(xxxiii) Commissioners of State Governments;

(xxxiv) Any other category of Officers in the Public Services of the Federal Republic
of Nigeria.

3 Likes

Re: Comparing Obj's Bowing To Ooni With The Bowing To Iara Is Irrational by DickDastardly(m): 5:18pm On Mar 23, 2016
errrrrrm ..... ok
Re: Comparing Obj's Bowing To Ooni With The Bowing To Iara Is Irrational by ClassCaptain(m): 5:21pm On Mar 23, 2016
Ehn ehn
Re: Comparing Obj's Bowing To Ooni With The Bowing To Iara Is Irrational by MosakuAW(m): 5:22pm On Mar 23, 2016
Tony, for the first time i concur with you based on this write-up.

Long before now, the colonial masters respect our Obas more than we do today but today's politics has somehow relegate the Obas and making some yeye political post more superior than the Oba.

Nigeria regards First lady
position over Deputy governor. Deputy
governors in Nigeria has been relegated
completly.

First lady like they are called are just offices
created by their husband to make their wives
relevant in politics for future gains e.g. Remi
Tinubu.

Some of this so called 'First Lady' has more
power than Ministers and Commisioners. Infact,
i know of 4 past Nigeria first lady both at state
and federal level that rules Nigeria/State
instead of their husband in power.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Comparing Obj's Bowing To Ooni With The Bowing To Iara Is Irrational by abbeycial: 5:27pm On Mar 23, 2016
kindly free that man cuz that was his choice.Just like many pretenders here would even stoop much lower to woo a girl,that man showed his respect to Edo first lady by bowing.
Agreed, the comparison of obj etc bowing to the Ooni may not be in order but the bottom line is both scenario portrays respect.

simple!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Comparing Obj's Bowing To Ooni With The Bowing To Iara Is Irrational by TonyeBarcanista(m): 5:27pm On Mar 23, 2016
ClassCaptain:
Ehn ehn
Very Funny...

Cc: Lalasticlala and Dominique
Re: Comparing Obj's Bowing To Ooni With The Bowing To Iara Is Irrational by Nobody: 5:34pm On Mar 23, 2016
Mr Tonyebarcanista,that's how we good people of river state roll. undecided
Re: Comparing Obj's Bowing To Ooni With The Bowing To Iara Is Irrational by TonyeBarcanista(m): 5:41pm On Mar 23, 2016
MosakuAW:

Tony, for the first time i concur with you based on this write-up.

Long before now, the colonial masters respect our Obas more than we do today but today's politics has somehow relegate the Obas and making some yeye political post more superior than the Oba.

Nigeria regards First lady
position over Deputy governor. Deputy
governors in Nigeria has been relegated
completly.

First lady like they are called are just offices
created by their husband to make their wives
relevant in politics for future gains e.g. Remi
Tinubu.

Some of this so called 'First Lady' has more
power than Ministers and Commisioners. Infact,
i know of 4 past Nigeria first lady both at state
and federal level that rules Nigeria/State
instead of their husband in power.
I have always maintained that the elevation of the title of First Lady is a slap on the constitution, and the masses intelligence. I have watched events where Presidents wives are given recognition before the Vice President and other functionaries. It has given the false sense that political offices and power can be acquired through marriage. The masses now see this as a norm. It is even a shame for someone to compare a titled first lady with a first class traditional ruler.

All these happens because citizens are not well informed.
Re: Comparing Obj's Bowing To Ooni With The Bowing To Iara Is Irrational by hinwazaka: 5:43pm On Mar 23, 2016
Much ado about nothing

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Comparing Obj's Bowing To Ooni With The Bowing To Iara Is Irrational by TonyeBarcanista(m): 5:47pm On Mar 23, 2016
hinwazaka:
Much ado about nothing
Hinwazaka you never change o...
Re: Comparing Obj's Bowing To Ooni With The Bowing To Iara Is Irrational by TonyeBarcanista(m): 5:48pm On Mar 23, 2016
sameer1212:
Mr Tonyebarcanista,that's how we good people of river state roll. undecided
Hahaha, how market na? Lol....

One of the reasons I admire Kwankwaso is the fact that he didn't recognise the first lady 'office' when he was Governor.
Re: Comparing Obj's Bowing To Ooni With The Bowing To Iara Is Irrational by hinwazaka: 5:54pm On Mar 23, 2016
TonyeBarcanista:
Hinwazaka you never change o...
Still the same
Re: Comparing Obj's Bowing To Ooni With The Bowing To Iara Is Irrational by TonyeBarcanista(m): 5:56pm On Mar 23, 2016
hinwazaka:

Still the same
Nice to have you back...
Re: Comparing Obj's Bowing To Ooni With The Bowing To Iara Is Irrational by TonyeBarcanista(m): 5:58pm On Mar 23, 2016
abbeycial:
kindly free that man cuz that was his choice.Just like many pretenders here would even stoop much lower to woo a girl,that man showed his respect to Edo first lady by bowing.
Agreed, the comparison of obj etc bowing to the Ooni may not be in order but the bottom line is both scenario portrays respect.

simple!
Bro, who is Iara in the scheme of things?
Re: Comparing Obj's Bowing To Ooni With The Bowing To Iara Is Irrational by freshvine(f): 6:04pm On Mar 23, 2016
Why do you degrade the office of a governor to an eleventh position, ina enwe isi mgbaka?

Office or not, the wife of any serving public official carries the paraphernalia of office of the husband. She's the ear of the husband and must be accorded the respect due to the husband.
Re: Comparing Obj's Bowing To Ooni With The Bowing To Iara Is Irrational by AZeD1(m): 6:06pm On Mar 23, 2016
abbeycial:

simple!
Bros i tire oh, people just looking for any opportunity to make noise.
Re: Comparing Obj's Bowing To Ooni With The Bowing To Iara Is Irrational by TonyeBarcanista(m): 6:11pm On Mar 23, 2016
freshvine:
Why do you degrade the office of a governor to an eleventh position, ina enwe isi mgbaka?

Office or not, the wife of any serving public official carries the paraphernalia of office of the husband. She's the ear of the husband and must be accorded the respect due to the husband.
who degrade the office of Governor? Am I the legislative arm that passed the Bill or the. president that signed it into law? In which society or law were you told that spouses inherit the status, powers or privileges of elected or appointed officials?
Re: Comparing Obj's Bowing To Ooni With The Bowing To Iara Is Irrational by aresa: 6:16pm On Mar 23, 2016
lol @ the world famous protection seeker joining in and starting a thread to discuss petty and silly rubbish about bowing...

Bowing is now a a credible national topic of discussion...

Life must be very hard out there for the jobless post PDP losers..

To address you people's silliness, you don't have to hold any title officially or unofficially to bow to anybody.

You can bow to any man or woman, it's a personal choice and a statement of respect and common courtesy.

If you like, bow, if not, then don't it's a personal choice and the fact that the man bowed to the governor's wife doesn't mean you have to.

Mind your own damn business and stay in your lane with your insecurity and low self esteem...
Re: Comparing Obj's Bowing To Ooni With The Bowing To Iara Is Irrational by JahJaa(m): 6:20pm On Mar 23, 2016
Nawa ooo

1 Like

Re: Comparing Obj's Bowing To Ooni With The Bowing To Iara Is Irrational by freshvine(f): 6:29pm On Mar 23, 2016
TonyeBarcanista:
who degrade the office of Governor? Am I the legislative arm that passed the Bill or the. president that signed it into law? In which society or law were you told that spouses inherit the status, powers or privileges of elected or appointed officials?

Keep monkeying with your prepositions devoid of mental relevance.

Do I need to start educating you on spousal right or I just pretend that you're a sludge and then take you on application of political powers?

Only a crazy society will rate a senator above a governor of a state. Comparing their constituent delineation is a good pointer to substantiate my standpoint.

1 Like

Re: Comparing Obj's Bowing To Ooni With The Bowing To Iara Is Irrational by tpiah2: 6:31pm On Mar 23, 2016
If you wouldnt dare compare lara Oshiomole with the Oba of Benin, why do you dare to compare her with the Ooni?

Can someone explain plz.
Re: Comparing Obj's Bowing To Ooni With The Bowing To Iara Is Irrational by ritababe(f): 6:42pm On Mar 23, 2016
tpiah2:
If you wouldnt dare compare lara Oshiomole with the Oba of Benin, why do you dare to compare her with the Ooni?

Can someone explain plz.

go and sit down who are you to mention the Oba of Benin, don't ever compare that blind man with the great Oba of Benin.
Re: Comparing Obj's Bowing To Ooni With The Bowing To Iara Is Irrational by TonyeBarcanista(m): 6:45pm On Mar 23, 2016
freshvine:

Keep monkeying with your prepositions devoid of mental relevance.

Do I need to start educating you on spousal right or I just pretend that you're a sludge and then take you on application of political powers?

Only a crazy society will rate a senator above a governor of a state. Comparing their constituent delineation is a good pointer to substantiate my standpoint.

Firstly, why not cite the law that gives your so-called spouse privileges and political power to spouses of officials? That's what smart people do.

Secondly, the Members of the Senate and Reps as a unit are regarded higher than the Governors. However, it has to be as a GROUP not as individuals. That's the LAW!

IN THE USA hosts Mayors come before Speaker of the House of Representative. It is their law!

1 Like

Re: Comparing Obj's Bowing To Ooni With The Bowing To Iara Is Irrational by KillJoy62(m): 6:47pm On Mar 23, 2016
How about bowing to the first Co
ncubine. Lols
Re: Comparing Obj's Bowing To Ooni With The Bowing To Iara Is Irrational by TonyeBarcanista(m): 6:51pm On Mar 23, 2016
KillJoy62:
How about bowing to the first Co
ncubine. Lols
or office of the first side chic of the Governor cheesy

1 Like

Re: Comparing Obj's Bowing To Ooni With The Bowing To Iara Is Irrational by Bekwarra(m): 6:54pm On Mar 23, 2016
*In Timaya's voice* I concur
Re: Comparing Obj's Bowing To Ooni With The Bowing To Iara Is Irrational by phiszo(m): 7:26pm On Mar 23, 2016
Should this be a problem? When we have important issues in nigeria to address. Nigerians. undecided
Re: Comparing Obj's Bowing To Ooni With The Bowing To Iara Is Irrational by Nobody: 7:48pm On Mar 23, 2016
Nigerians love discussing irrelevant things sometimes, we are in a free world, the man have every right to bow to anybody he wants.. It is his right.
Re: Comparing Obj's Bowing To Ooni With The Bowing To Iara Is Irrational by ycat: 7:50pm On Mar 23, 2016
Why the old man bowed can only be explained by him alone, maybe he wants favor, but it's still disgraceful. Even we Yoruba with the culture of bowing to greet only do so for either oba or elderly, that's it.
Re: Comparing Obj's Bowing To Ooni With The Bowing To Iara Is Irrational by Reptyle(m): 8:01pm On Mar 23, 2016
To think you wrote this long essay because a man bowed to someone younger than him?

What is so strange about that? Africans, especially Nigerians have a tendency to show respect to people who are older, or people they consider higher than them in social or financial status.

When I am put in those situations where an older person greets me with such respect, it is pretty embarassing to me. But it is just the way most of us, especially the older generation, are wired. It happens every day.

Can the OP honestly claim he has never been hailed by a much older person either at work or at business?
Re: Comparing Obj's Bowing To Ooni With The Bowing To Iara Is Irrational by freshvine(f): 8:44pm On Mar 23, 2016
TonyeBarcanista:

Firstly, why not cite the law that gives your so-called spouse privileges and political power to spouses of officials? That's what smart people do.

Secondly, the Members of the Senate and Reps as a unit are regarded higher than the Governors. However, it has to be as a GROUP not as individuals. That's the LAW!

IN THE USA hosts Mayors come before Speaker of the House of Representative. It is their law!

The wife of a President for example live in the presidential villa, sleep with the president on the same presidential suite, fly the presidential plane, eat the presidential foods, travel alongside the president and she's the first advisor of the president on any matter and you think such woman doesn't deserve presidential respect? So long as the husband remain the president, she carries the husband's prestige wherever she goes.

Finally, presidential system of government Nigeria borrowed from the United States must be implemented to the fullest. If I've the capacity I'll sue the National Assembly on such constitutional anomaly

(1) (2) (Reply)

IPOB Leader, Nnamdi Kanu Receives Award / See The Road Leading To Ugbene Ajima, Enugu State!! / Nnamdi Kanu The Most Powerful Man In Nigeria/africa.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.