Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,636 members, 7,820,231 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:52 AM

How To Cope When Facing Unemployment - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / How To Cope When Facing Unemployment (17364 Views)

Secret Ways To Kill Unemployment Forever / Top 10 Lucrative Blue-collar Jobs In Nigeria To Beat Graduate Unemployment / How Do Introverts Cope In Job Race (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Cope When Facing Unemployment by RollingFellas: 6:41am On Mar 25, 2016
jesse515:
I av bin unemployed since 30th of June 2015 n received my last salary Jaunuary of 2015. Des ar sum of d stuffs I do now:

1. Gyming: I use to be fat but now m liking my structure

2. School: i went bak to sch to complete my HND

3. Friends: Started makin friends n knowing pple geniunely

4. Business: i use to be on a salaary of abt 200k, No more income, I opened a laundry n employed 2 persons wit my last savings. Currently I rake in abt 60k monthly afta paying salaries. I sumtyms feel happy. I also went into being an house agent.

5. Church/ God: a more deeper relationship wit God tru constant attending of mornin mass

You have a positive mindset. I will advise you create multiple streams of income and you will see yourself making more than that 200k per month you used to get when you were employed. You could open up more branches of your laundry services and employ more people. Overtime, you may become a household name in laundry services sector. Also, think of other businesses you can add by diversifying. Most times, multiple streams of income could translate to higher turnover.

Once you have more branches, all you will be doing is to supervise to maintain standard, strategise for your business growth and work on other business interest. You will become extremely busy overtime and will not even remember that you are unemployed.

2 Likes

Re: How To Cope When Facing Unemployment by fabulousmann(f): 6:45am On Mar 25, 2016
I am currently unemployed n it aint funny.
Re: How To Cope When Facing Unemployment by Ifebazz(m): 6:56am On Mar 25, 2016
I like your piece, nice and inspirational. The only problem I have with it is your use of the word 'am'. Where in God's name did you guys learn this from? It breaks my heart that after all, English teachers failed.
See, the word pronounced 'I'm' is not the same as 'am' oooh. That 'I'm' that people speak is just a short form of 'I am ' (person state of being kinda) which can be likened to 'John is' in a sentence whereas you guys just leave the 'I' and use only the 'am' which is very grievous error in written English. Spoken, the difference can hardly show as 'I'm' and 'am' sound alike but they are not.
But then it goes a long way to tell how much the difference is between what we say because people say it and what we actually know! Adios.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Cope When Facing Unemployment by Nobody: 7:00am On Mar 25, 2016
Bla bla bla. Everyone just likes to talk
Re: How To Cope When Facing Unemployment by macaranta(m): 7:02am On Mar 25, 2016
Cool writeup
Re: How To Cope When Facing Unemployment by charisma640: 7:12am On Mar 25, 2016
good one bro
Re: How To Cope When Facing Unemployment by sirpdep(m): 7:28am On Mar 25, 2016
Well done guy
Re: How To Cope When Facing Unemployment by butanep(m): 8:14am On Mar 25, 2016
The best way to overcome unemployment after school is to develop an entrepreneurship mind set as an undergraduate.

During service I keep telling my friends there is no job out there. I prepared for the worst situation. I the last 3months of my service, I began to find out possible things I can do to earn me income and also have my time. I never put my hopes on the good result I have or on my good grades. I asked myself, what can I do without using my result or nysc certificate? That's when I began to get a clear revelation.

I am now an employer of myself. I get money to pay my bills and start a new life outside the family and even pay the bills of my younger ones. If a bank should call me today to pay me 90k, I won't go or even take it as a favour because I enjoy what I do and it is also paying my bills.

I gym in the morning to build up myself before going for business of the day. I can decide to reschedule my appointments @ my own will. I have time to eat good food & even hand-out with some of my girlfriends.

I keep focusing on my business line till I get a federal job.

1 Like

Re: How To Cope When Facing Unemployment by OlowoB(m): 8:43am On Mar 25, 2016
butanep:
The best way to overcome unemployment after school is to develop an entrepreneurship mind set as an undergraduate.

During service I keep telling my friends there is no job out there. I prepared for the worst situation. I the last 3months of my service, I began to find out possible things I can do to earn me income and also have my time. I never put my hopes on the good result I have or on my good grades. I asked myself, what can I do without using my result or nysc certificate? That's when I began to get a clear revelation.

I am now an employer of myself. I get money to pay my bills and start a new life outside the family and even pay the bills of my younger ones. If a bank should call me today to pay me 90k, I won't go or even take it as a favour because I enjoy what I do and it is also paying my bills.

I gym in the morning to build up myself before going for business of the day. I can decide to reschedule my appointments @ my own will. I have time to eat good food & even hand-out with some of my girlfriends.

I keep focusing on my business line till I get a federal job.

nice one bro, i like hearing stories like this. If you don't mind me asking, what business do you do?

cheers
Re: How To Cope When Facing Unemployment by lordsharks(m): 9:03am On Mar 25, 2016
Encouraging
Re: How To Cope When Facing Unemployment by tomayira(f): 9:07am On Mar 25, 2016
I've been unemployed since 2011, today I earn much more than my last salary because I took a bold step that turned my life around positively. I'm a network marketing professional, call or whatsapp me on 08037798195 if u want to live the good life!
Re: How To Cope When Facing Unemployment by lolu20: 9:36am On Mar 25, 2016
go into football betting.
Re: How To Cope When Facing Unemployment by EmperorMGI: 10:40am On Mar 25, 2016
Nice write up bro....Timely Words for the unemployed!... I pray they take heed to these words.
Be busy doing something,Learn a skill or follow your Passion....by so doing, you're already on your way to being an employer.
Re: How To Cope When Facing Unemployment by jesse515: 11:54am On Mar 25, 2016
RollingFellas:

You have a positive mindset. I will advise you create multiple streams of income and you will see yourself making more than that 200k per month you used to get when you were employed. You could open up more branches of your laundry services and employ more people. Overtime, you may become a household name in laundry services sector. Also, think of other businesses you can add by diversifying. Most times, multiple streams of income could translate to higher turnover.

Once you have more branches, all you will be doing is to supervise to maintain standard, strategise for your business growth and work on other business interest. You will become extremely busy overtime and will not even remember that you are unemployed.

Bros tank u o, I really apreciate ur advise especialy d last paragrph, cos dat was my problem wen I tot of opening branches.

I hope to see n meet u at d top.
Re: How To Cope When Facing Unemployment by butanep(m): 12:09pm On Mar 25, 2016
OlowoB:

nice one bro, i like hearing stories like this. If you don't mind me asking, what business do you do?

cheers

Hmmmm... I am a multi- business person.

I run a tutorial for JAMB/ SSCE classes. I contract private lessons to my tutors and have like 5 I am handling each of like 30 to 40k. I run a business centre n exams registration simultaneously with the tutorial classes. Into graphic design as well.
Re: How To Cope When Facing Unemployment by butanep(m): 12:15pm On Mar 25, 2016
OlowoB:

cheers

I studied geology from University of Benin with a second class upper but I didn't let that intoxicate me because life is more than the good grades we had in school.
Re: How To Cope When Facing Unemployment by nirvana12: 12:16pm On Mar 25, 2016
Acquire skills today and become your own boss

Re: How To Cope When Facing Unemployment by Laeroy(f): 12:38pm On Mar 25, 2016
Listen Guys!!!.... So I decided to take this bold step outta Unemployment by rendering a service some few people consider dirty....." LAUNDRY'' Even with a daughter less dan 5 months old and who's on exclusive breastfeeding , I try as much as possible to give the best with my husband who sometimes help out with the ironing aspect of the job....

ALRIGHT, let me use this Medium to advertise myself, 4 I don't know who's reading this, If U stay around Ijebu-ode and it's environs, please bring your garments to NEAT & KLIN LAUNDRY SERVICES (73, Degun str, Ijebu-ode, Ogun state a.k.a Aduke Beauty Store)......Our hotline is 07066800606..
We are also available to pick up and deliver your clothes for free.......

Neat & Klin Laundry-- Our Business is to Make You Shine

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How To Cope When Facing Unemployment by stevoskyj(m): 1:02pm On Mar 25, 2016
JUSTICEOFFICIAL:
your former schoolmates must have updated their Facebook status with their current workplace and littered your feed with selfies of them chilling in well-furnished offices with good lighting.

Lolzz.. i tot i was the only one noting the details

1 Like

Re: How To Cope When Facing Unemployment by chyna4luv: 3:21pm On Mar 25, 2016
bestads:
Prof. Abioye Isaac

“Academic excellence is overrated! Did I just say that? Oh, yes, I said it.
Being top of your class does not necessarily guarantee that you will be at the top of life.
You could graduate as the best student in Finance but it doesn’t mean you will make more money than everybody else.
The best graduating Law student does not necessarily become the best lawyer.
The fact is life requires more than the ability to understand a concept, memorize it and reproduce it in an exam.
School rewards people for their memory. Life rewards people for their imagination.
School rewards caution, life rewards daring.
School hails those who live by the rules. Life exalts those who break the rules and set new ones. So do I mean people shouldn’t study hard in school? Oh, no, you should. But don’t sacrifice every other thing on the altar of First Class. Don’t limit yourself to the classroom. Do something practical.

Take a leadership position.

Start a business and fail. That’s a better Entrepreneurship 101.

Join or start a club.

Contest an election and lose. It will teach something Political Science 101 will not teach you.

Attend a seminar.

Read books outside the scope of your course.

Go on missions and win a soul for eternal rewards…
Do something you believe in!

Think less of becoming an excellent student but think more of becoming an excellent person. Make the world ur classroom!”

I love your comment!

This reminds me of 2007 when we finished our ND and planning to go for IT, there was a guy in my department then, this guy was an un-serious type in academics. He doesn't study. He flirts with girls inside/outside the campus, attends parties, night clubs, had enough money to flirt, lived in one of the best lodges in school. He was one of the happening guys in school. The guy had two courses carry over in our ND2 first semester.

What shock me was, as we finished our ND2 final semester exams, one week after, my guy came to school for HOD to sign his offer letter with Intercontinental Bank PLC to resume work tomorrow. How did I know about this? I was their class rep. I asked him, how he got placement with the bank? He said his brother is a shareholder in Intercontinental Bank. I believed him because, when I returned to lagos State, I went to intercontinental bank head office in V.I. to try my luck for IT in 2007, to my greatest dismay, the most vital requirement to secure an IT placement with Intercontinental Bank was to have a TOP EXECUTIVE of the bank refer you by appending his or her signature on your guarantors form. 'na so I no get the job o and I get upper credit o' I sure sey d guy no go get up to lower credit self. I finally got IT placement with AIICO Insurance PLC where I suffered without salary for one year before going for my HND.

Atimes, most of these un-serious guys in school have BIG connection. All they want is to get their 'kpali'(certificates).

Though, it's good to have excellent grade but it's not a yardstick to get a job. I chat with my course mate who had distinction HND BFN, she is still jobless up to this moment since 2012 after NYSC. Though, she is married now.

Also, prayer can do all things.

I rest my case joor.

Chyna4luv.
Re: How To Cope When Facing Unemployment by Valintos147(f): 10:43pm On Mar 28, 2016
Nice and Informative, Thanks. Well am tired of sitting at home too, looking for who can engage/help,even its an office assistant, I wouldn't mind, just transport fare only, Tired of sitting at home. Idle minds is devil Work-Shop. I am a graduate HND in Business Admin/Mgt, I reside within Ikeja. 08035130791. Thanks
Re: How To Cope When Facing Unemployment by Mbamifeanyi(m): 8:01am On Mar 29, 2016
Laeroy:
Listen Guys!!!.... So I decided to take this bold step outta Unemployment by rendering a service some few people consider dirty....." LAUNDRY'' Even with a daughter less dan 5 months old and who's on exclusive breastfeeding , I try as much as possible to give the best with my husband who sometimes help out with the ironing aspect of the job....

ALRIGHT, let me use this Medium to advertise myself, 4 I don't know who's reading this, If U stay around Ijebu-ode and it's environs, please bring your garments to NEAT & KLIN LAUNDRY SERVICES (73, Degun str, Ijebu-ode, Ogun state a.k.a Aduke Beauty Store)......Our hotline is 07066800606..
We are also available to pick up and deliver your clothes for free.......

Neat & Klin Laundry-- Our Business is to Make You Shine

madam I am still a student and would want to venture in LAUNDRY SERVICES in my school. please send me ur whtsapp Num for us to discuss more. my Num 08060549052
Re: How To Cope When Facing Unemployment by JUSTICEOFFICIAL(m): 1:56pm On Mar 31, 2016
Many Thanks to you all for the comments/notes/correction, there were all well received.

We hope and pray that the outrageous rate of unemployment in the country today is brought to a minimum as the government (and individuals) takes positive steps towards achieving this.

Please follow my latest thread:

https://www.nairaland.com/3021467/nigerian-graduate-hustle-season-1#44281445

Thank you.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ever Been Embarrassed By An Ex-Employer After Leaving The Job? / Zenith Bank Is In A Massive Recruitment Process. / 2015 Faan Recruitment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.