Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,094 members, 7,811,067 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 10:08 PM

Programmer’s Writer’s Block: Causes And Solutions - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Programmer’s Writer’s Block: Causes And Solutions (1753 Views)

Computer Science Research Topics And Solutions / Mobile Banking Apps: Discover The Challenges And Solutions / Types Of Cyber Attacks And Solutions. What You Need To Know As A Programmer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Programmer’s Writer’s Block: Causes And Solutions by larisoft: 3:37pm On Mar 24, 2016
Unfamiliarity: you are a java rock star, but are working on your first C# MVC project. You have crystal clear paths you want your code to take, and the results you expect are precise too. But you keep running into hitches and it seems like you are having an unproductive day.
The truth is; you are just in unfamiliar territory and even though you think you do, you do not know your left from your right as long as this technology is concerned. You will love this new technology once you have immersed yourself in it but in the mean time, be humble, expect the bugs to come in their thousands, and regard every bug conquered as an achievement for the day; knowing that you may not accomplish your main task that day.
Also be quick to ask anyone who knows the language/technology for help. It doesn’t mean they are smarter than you. It simply means they’ve spent more time with the technology than you have.

Mood: If you feel heavy in the heart for any reason, chances are you will not flow in code. Also, if you are tired or sleepy, put off coding for a while. The ideal time for programming is usually immediately after waking up or in the morning, when the day’s events have not corrupted your mood.
No matter how tight the deadline, sleeping now and working later may mean you will be 2x as productive later. If you are not working on a team, this may be the solution.
Also, managers should realize that corporate giants like google and Microsoft that let employees sleep during working hours are not foolish.

Uninteresting Domain: When a computer scientist who enjoys only competitive programming is made to work on enterprise software…thay are almost always bored and unproductive.
Enterprise software requires little or no math most of the time. All the sorting, graphing, treeing, are usually already implemented. To make matters worse, enterprise software is usually designed before implementation to specific details by a software architect, so programmers working on the project are usually merely programming according to specifications, so detailed, even variables names are known before you start.
This pales sharply with competitive programming where you are asked questions that require ultra brain activity to resolve and where winning makes you the smartest guy in the room…with all the testosterone this is bound to intoxicate.
Hiring managers should recruit people that fit the job description. Hiring mathematicians for a software company that mostly develops CRUD websites is not a good idea. Quote me anywhere.

You are not proud of what you are doing, and don’t want to learn:

This one happens to me when am contracted to work on a site, and I have to spend time writing html code. For f’s sake; learning HTML thoroughly doesn’t add anything to my CV.
If I was to encounter a html bug that lasted more than a minute…I’d certainly flare up. WORK BITCH!!! WORK!!!

Programming is just not for you:

This is rarely ever the case, but some people eventually realize that as a result of their personal disposition, they just may have no business programming. People that typically fall into this category are:
1. Any one that loves social life so much so they cant ever spend an entire day coding.
2. Anyone averse to logical reasoning (You’d be surprised at how many Nigerians fit in this category).
3. If you are dumb…or better still, everyone tells you are dumb…I hear programming is not the best place for dumb people. Lol!

1 Like

Re: Programmer’s Writer’s Block: Causes And Solutions by FrankLampard: 10:12pm On Mar 24, 2016
Bro, you have serious hate for Computer Scientists and Mathematician.

From your other thread on Interview to this?

If I have a software company, I will never, (I repeat,) never, ever employ a developer who didn't study Computer Science, Mathematics, Information Technology and Computer Engineering (EEE inclusive).

Reason is that, all developer who didn't study those courses listed above, end up writing shitty codes. What you all do is go to the internet Google and cram codes to yourself. That is why people will be very bold to say that Nigerian developer ain't good enough. I say it is simply because of people like you that just don't know how to solve IT problems using some set of standards.

I am not quarrelling with you bro, but I want you to stop all this your non sense talk about Computer Scientists and their likes.
Re: Programmer’s Writer’s Block: Causes And Solutions by larisoft: 10:15am On Mar 25, 2016
Thanks for "noticing me", Frank. Seriously, am always happy to share my opinions, get responses, and modify those opinions based on the education i get from such responses. Also, do not think for one minute that I do not respect your formal, and consequently; deep understanding of these things. I do.

Now, back to the matter. In software development, Google hires computer scientists because they work on projects that require the highest optimization techniques. The projects google/microsoft/tweeter e.t.c work on are rarely ever the basic CRUD applications you will expect a typical software firm in Lagos makes for her small business clients.

Will it make sense for this software firm to hire mathematicians, algorithm chiefs, computer scientists, and then keep them working perpetually on web design and basic crud mobile apps - (which you will agree, is what most small business apps are about)? Will it not be better to hire the mathematicians, algorithm chiefs, and computer scientists as consultants on a per project basis - for when really big projects come ( and they do only occasionally)?

What is required to make useful software is almost always a thorough knowledge of the technology one is using (for fluency), an understanding of design patterns (for maintainability), and the ability to work with others ( all great software are made in teams). I, for one, spent so much time mastering HTML and CSS once; and today, beginners that mastered wordpress in a couple of days make more commercially demanded websites than I do. I am good at algorithms, data structures, code in 8 languages, on 4 platforms, and numerous frameworks. But if a firm that specializes in making quick content management websites were to be hiring, I'd be a wrong candidate.

Firms should not hire people in a certain way simply because google does that. You should look at what you do and and find the best people for that.

I hope you see where am coming from, Frank. would love to hear your response to this.

2 Likes

Re: Programmer’s Writer’s Block: Causes And Solutions by ALLU: 10:35am On Mar 25, 2016
Wow. I think that these things at the end of the day have to do with what you really want.

This issue of degrees as far as programming is concerned.. I think its a bonus if you have a degree, but a great deal of discipline, work-ethic optimisation and self-motivation goes into becoming a good programmer without the breastfeeding of a higher institution.

With a few exceptions, almost all graduate programmers I've met are simply coders by day, with no real inclination to do anymore than theyre told they have to. On the other hand, the guys who slave it out on their own almost always become hardcore.

This doesnt mean that there arent crappy dropout coders and brilliant graduate coders. It simply means this- ownership or not of a certificate is no guarantee. for instance both john carmack and steve wozniak are great coders, no? Yet John didnt have a degree and steve did.

so going as far as to say that you will"never" hire a person AS A PROGRAMMER simply because they do not have a degree is simply outrageous to me. But then, to each his own.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Programmer’s Writer’s Block: Causes And Solutions by FrankLampard: 12:15pm On Mar 25, 2016
For me degree is very important, in the field of software development, Networking, Data Administration etc. Because the way things are going now, programming may not solve our problems any longer. Meaning we have to go back to how it started. ie Complex Data Structure, Algorithms, Concurrency etc.

Larry, even the basic CRUD operations you listed. One may still need optimization to be done to it also eg Imagine you have some rows of about 10 million data in your table and you want to locate and delete the 9000th item within the shortest possible time. Bro that code you crammed from Google will crash, because it can't handle operations like this.

Non IT related guy(Someone who didn't study computer science or related) are people who create Enterprise Applications that are so prone to many security flaws. Reason; no knowledge of how most security technics works.

Certificate at times too is important, because, IT as a field of study is changing at a lightening speed, and certification comes in play.

I would advice season HR personnel in big organization to direct their developers to go for courses like Big Data, because that is era we are moving towards now in IT.

1 Like

Re: Programmer’s Writer’s Block: Causes And Solutions by larisoft: 2:10pm On Mar 25, 2016
I absolutely agree on the big data part...thats where we are headed. A degree is not really needed to learn it, but that's beside the point. I appreciate your input, Frank.
Re: Programmer’s Writer’s Block: Causes And Solutions by FrankLampard: 2:25pm On Mar 25, 2016
larisoft:
I absolutely agree on the big data part...thats where we are headed. A degree is not really needed to learn it, but that's beside the point. I appreciate your input, Frank.

Sorry, my real name is not Frank, lolz. I just love the football player.

BTW: Larry, it is people like you that built Jamb CTB software.
Re: Programmer’s Writer’s Block: Causes And Solutions by larisoft: 7:12pm On Mar 25, 2016
FrankLampard:

Sorry, my real name is not Frank, lolz. I just love the football player.

BTW: Larry, it is people like you that built Jamb CTB software.

Lol! Too bad I am yet to secure so juicy a contract... Am sure I would have done a wonderful job both for jamb and myself.
Re: Programmer’s Writer’s Block: Causes And Solutions by Nobody: 7:19pm On Mar 25, 2016
Speaking of cbt please interpret this codes in vb.net
sorry for hijacking this thread

Private Sub Form_Load()
Set db = OpenDatabase("C:\vb\data base files\quiz.mdb" )
Set record = db.OpenRecordset("quiz" )

Option1.Value = False
Option2.Value = False
Option3.Value = True

End Sub

Private Sub Option1_Click()
If Option1.Caption = record.Fields("answer" ) Then

If OptYes.Checked then

marks = marks + 1
Label2.Caption = marks
Else
marks = marks - 1
MsgBox ("wrong" ) ;
End If
End sub
Re: Programmer’s Writer’s Block: Causes And Solutions by FrankLampard: 9:31pm On Mar 25, 2016
larisoft:

Lol! Too bad I am yet to secure so juicy a contract... Am sure I would have done a wonderful job both for jamb and myself.

That software was built by people with lake of information of how to solve IT tasks (Non Computer Science graduates), knowing fully well that millions of candidates will be using it, yet they employed Non-Computer Science graduates to develop the software. Reason for all the present outcry by candidates
Re: Programmer’s Writer’s Block: Causes And Solutions by larisoft: 7:24am On Mar 26, 2016
[url][/url]
proxy20:
Speaking of cbt please interpret this codes in vb.net
sorry for hijacking this thread

Private Sub Form_Load()

Option1.Value = False
Option2.Value = False
Option3.Value = True

End Sub

If OptYes.Checked then

marks = marks + 1
Label2.Caption = marks
Else
marks = marks - 1
MsgBox ("wrong" ) ;
End If
End sub

//when this form loads this is the event handler called
Private Sub Form_Load()

//connect to db

//retrieve records

//set option values. Thus if user selects option 3, true is returned to the Option3_Click event handler
Option1.Value = False
Option2.Value = False
Option3.Value = True

End Sub

//when user selects option1

//if option1 is the answer
If OptYes.Checked then

//add a mark
marks = marks + 1

//update the marks showing on a label on the screen to reflect new marks
Label2.Caption = marks

//if option1 is not the answer, remove a mark and show user an alert dialog that he is wrong
Else
marks = marks - 1
MsgBox ("wrong" ) ;
End If
End sub

Re: Programmer’s Writer’s Block: Causes And Solutions by Nobody: 7:29am On Mar 26, 2016
I notice a bug . If you click the option in the same question twice it gives two marks .
Re: Programmer’s Writer’s Block: Causes And Solutions by larisoft: 7:34am On Mar 26, 2016
@proxy, why not create a boolean value that you set to false when each question is loaded, then once an answer is selected, check if the boolean is false, if it is false, process the click and turn it to true. If not, do not process.

Once a new answer is loaded, set the boolean flag back to false.

This is just managing the bug, not eliminating it. But seeing as you may not be familiar with this language, it can't get any worse.
Re: Programmer’s Writer’s Block: Causes And Solutions by larisoft: 7:38am On Mar 26, 2016
FrankLampard:

That software was built by people with lake of information of how to solve IT tasks (Non Computer Science graduates), knowing fully well that millions of candidates will be using it, yet they employed Non-Computer Science graduates to develop the software. Reason for all the present outcry by candidates

lol... No. If its that bad, then it was built by people who had IM and no skills. I know people here on Nairaland that would have built a software Nigeria would have been so proud of, they would have exported it to other countries, and these people dont have computer science degrees.
Re: Programmer’s Writer’s Block: Causes And Solutions by Nobody: 7:43am On Mar 26, 2016
I will change the the option to a close question to validate with a boolean . True/false .It looks like I running away from the main problem .
Re: Programmer’s Writer’s Block: Causes And Solutions by FrankLampard: 7:45am On Mar 26, 2016
larisoft:

lol... No. If its that bad, then it was built by people who had IM and no skills. I know people here on Nairaland that would have built a software Nigeria would have been so proud of, they would have exported it to other countries, and these people dont have computer science degrees.

Who are they? I will like to know them, list all of them for us to see.

Thank you.
Re: Programmer’s Writer’s Block: Causes And Solutions by larisoft: 8:33am On Mar 26, 2016
FrankLampard:

Who are they? I will like to know them, list all of them for us to see.

Thank you.

Sorry, Frank. But the fact that you dont know them, or worse still, that you may be insinuating that you are better than all programmers on this forumn who have no cs degree, tells me you are a newbie in software development...if you are in it at all, and I shouldnt flatter you with a response anymore, except you are asking to learn something and become better.

I am sincerely not being rude.
Re: Programmer’s Writer’s Block: Causes And Solutions by FrankLampard: 8:44am On Mar 26, 2016
larisoft:

Sorry, Frank. But the fact that you dont know them, or worse still, that you may be insinuating that you are better than all programmers on this forumn who have no cs degree, tells me you are a newbie in software development...if you are in it at all, and I shouldnt flatter you with a response anymore, except you are asking to learn something and become better.

I am sincerely not being rude.

Why are you deviating from the subject matter?

I didn't state anywhere here that I'm better than anyone.
Re: Programmer’s Writer’s Block: Causes And Solutions by seunthomas: 10:43pm On Mar 26, 2016
FrankLampard:
For me degree is very important, in the field of software development, Networking, Data Administration etc. Because the way things are going now, programming may not solve our problems any longer. Meaning we have to go back to how it started. ie Complex Data Structure, Algorithms, Concurrency etc.

Larry, even the basic CRUD operations you listed. One may still need optimization to be done to it also eg Imagine you have some rows of about 10 million data in your table and you want to locate and delete the 9000th item within the shortest possible time. Bro that code you crammed from Google will crash, because it can't handle operations like this.

Non IT related guy(Someone who didn't study computer science or related) are people who create Enterprise Applications that are so prone to many security flaws. Reason; no knowledge of how most security technics works.

Certificate at times too is important, because, IT as a field of study is changing at a lightening speed, and certification comes in play.

I would advice season HR personnel in big organization to direct their developers to go for courses like Big Data, because that is era we are moving towards now in IT.

Sorry to contribute to this. DEGREE is not needed for software development or any of these fields you mentioned, rather a passion for it. Software developers are like artists, its either you have the gift or not(critical thinking,problem solving). You can learn it but you will never be as good as the person who naturally has flare/passion for it.

1 Like

Re: Programmer’s Writer’s Block: Causes And Solutions by seunthomas: 10:46pm On Mar 26, 2016
FrankLampard:
Bro, you have serious hate for Computer Scientists and Mathematician.

From your other thread on Interview to this?

If I have a software company, I will never, (I repeat,) never, ever employ a developer who didn't study Computer Science, Mathematics, Information Technology and Computer Engineering (EEE inclusive).

Reason is that, all developer who didn't study those courses listed above, end up writing shitty codes. What you all do is go to the internet Google and cram codes to yourself. That is why people will be very bold to say that Nigerian developer ain't good enough. I say it is simply because of people like you that just don't know how to solve IT problems using some set of standards.

I am not quarrelling with you bro, but I want you to stop all this your non sense talk about Computer Scientists and their likes.
Sorry man but you seem to have zero idea about software development. A degree does not make you a software developer. Its your desire to be one. And yes you are right some people cram codes(everyone starts with that cos software development is abstract and foreign to our natural way of thinking).

2 Likes

Re: Programmer’s Writer’s Block: Causes And Solutions by larisoft: 5:40am On Mar 27, 2016
seunthomas:

Sorry man but you seem to have zero idea about software development. A degree does not make you a software developer. Its your desire to be one. And yes you are right some people cram codes(everyone starts with that cos software development is abstract and foreign to our natural way of thinking).

Thanks for contributing, baba.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Java Programmer Needed For A Task(urgent) / Browse For Free Without Limit / Facebook Programming Test

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.