Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,591 members, 7,812,928 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 10:46 PM

7 Things You May Not Know About #goodfriday - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / 7 Things You May Not Know About #goodfriday (21057 Views)

7 Things Our Nigerian Pastors Can Learn From Pope Francis / They Did Not Know That Noah Had Entered The Ark / If Jesus Was God, Why Did He Not Know When He Would Return?" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 7 Things You May Not Know About #goodfriday by Nobody: 12:32pm On Mar 25, 2016
Abeg make una dash me LIKES..22nd of March was my birthday but I was unable to get 1000 likes because I requested for it late in the night on that very day due to some issues.I know nairalanders are very generous in doling out likes to celebrelants of birthday.Make una help me continue today.I wan go use am exchange for naira because I learnt that is what the likes gotten on nairaland are used for.And you know the sweetest part,one like is equivalent to one dollar.definitely 1000likes will be 1000 dollars which when changed to Nigeria naira will be nothing less than #300,000.Abeg e o no se or I buruku.I need this money as a capital between today and tomorrow.e seun lopolopo..
Re: 7 Things You May Not Know About #goodfriday by fogechi: 12:33pm On Mar 25, 2016
Re: 7 Things You May Not Know About #goodfriday by Nobody: 12:36pm On Mar 25, 2016
undecided
fogechi:

is it in d bible? If not we should not use it cos bible is our standard
[quote author=fogechi post=44094675]
Going by that rule many churches will have nothing to make their church different from the other
Re: 7 Things You May Not Know About #goodfriday by free2ryhme: 12:37pm On Mar 25, 2016
fogechi:

is it in d bible? If not we should not use it cos bible is our standard

religious activities is different technological advancement. you should have also said jesus should not use a boat and keep walking on water to preach the gospel
Re: 7 Things You May Not Know About #goodfriday by Emyben(m): 12:41pm On Mar 25, 2016
free2ryhme:

why shld i look bother myself about a word i cant find in the bible
Good, then stop commenting about what you don't know.
Go and right the numerous wrongs first in ya own Church. Remove the Logs in ya eye before the little or no dust in others eyes.

1 Like

Re: 7 Things You May Not Know About #goodfriday by free2ryhme: 12:43pm On Mar 25, 2016
Emyben:

Good, then stop commenting about what you don't know.

Go and right the numerous wrongs first in ya own Church.
Remove the Logs in ya eye before the little or no dust in others eyes.

quote the bible and stop using some old parchment and religious scam to deceive people

1 Like

Re: 7 Things You May Not Know About #goodfriday by icybeth(m): 12:55pm On Mar 25, 2016
Did he actually died on friday? Going back to d date during Christ era, d hebrew calandar shows Nissan 14,when u relate it to d Roman calandar u will find out that it falls on Thursday not on Friday. Therefore, compare the Hebrew calandar Nissan 14 with d Roman calandar of this year, u will find out it falls on wednesday.
Re: 7 Things You May Not Know About #goodfriday by Emyben(m): 12:58pm On Mar 25, 2016
free2ryhme:

quote the bible and stop using some old parchment and religious scam to deceive people

lol, are you more biblical than the Catholic Church?

Tell me why you think ya Church is Biblical?
The handkerchief craze? The GO sticker on homes and cars craze? The Prosperity swindler craze which Christ preached against? The Shouting in Prayers which Christ condemned and associated with the Hypocritical Pharisees?

The Tithe fraud as obviously visible today? Tell me another thing.

like I said. Remove the log in ya eyes first!
And lastly stop being a hateful Christian.

Christ said Don't Judge
Don't disobey the order of Christ whom you pretend to follow.

4 Likes

Re: 7 Things You May Not Know About #goodfriday by Dannidom(m): 1:06pm On Mar 25, 2016
ITbomb:
[size=16pt]Are You A Christian?[/size]

"I believe that there no god/God but The I am that I am."
"I believe that Jesus Christ is God's Only Begotten Son."
"I believe that Christianity is the Only True Religion."
" Iesus Christus est Dominus, in æternum ."

(The above declaration will be posted on your profile if you click "Quote"wink

Happy Easter!
I will appreciate

thanks
Re: 7 Things You May Not Know About #goodfriday by Einl(m): 1:09pm On Mar 25, 2016
Majikals:
Op, Nice post,though but u kinda of made it a Catholic sided writeup..
1.Who is Paschales Solemnitatis?
2.Not every Christian believe in the doctrine of penance.
3.Blessed Virgin Mary? Well, individual differences and understanding of the Bible.

Happy good Friday nairalanders
God bless me
God bless you
God bless us all.
The foundation of modern Western Christianity is the Roman Catholic Church...

1 Like

Re: 7 Things You May Not Know About #goodfriday by Justycxx(m): 1:18pm On Mar 25, 2016
ITbomb:

Happy Easter!
christianity is not the only true religion because christianity is not even a religion it is an attempt to reciprocate the lifestyle of christ which is the ultimate lifestyle.
Re: 7 Things You May Not Know About #goodfriday by free2ryhme: 1:26pm On Mar 25, 2016
Emyben:

lol, are you more biblical than the Catholic Church?

Tell me why you think ya Church is Biblical?
The handkerchief craze? The GO sticker on homes and cars craze? The Prosperity swindler craze which Christ preached against? The Shouting in Prayers which Christ condemned and associated with the Hypocritical Pharisees?

The Tithe fraud as obviously visible today? Tell me another thing.

like I said. Remove the log in ya eyes first!
And lastly stop being a hateful Christian.

Christ said Don't Judge
Don't disobey the order of Christ whom you pretend to follow.

whatever you say does change the fact that Paschales Solemnitatis is not in the bible and we aint buying it
Re: 7 Things You May Not Know About #goodfriday by Emyben(m): 1:30pm On Mar 25, 2016
free2ryhme:

whatever you say does change the fact that Paschales Solemnitatis is not in the bible and we aint buying it

And think and wish all you can...nobody wants you to buy it.
it's for Catholics alone.

You are the one who started getting yourself itched and bitter over an issue that doesn't concern you. Who is even convincing you to buy it sef?

You are not important. Just suffering from Self conceit

1 Like

Re: 7 Things You May Not Know About #goodfriday by Ikenna17(m): 1:32pm On Mar 25, 2016
free2ryhme:

why shld i look bother myself about a word i cant find in the bible
Bro, these are traditions that existed before the bible as we know it.
Re: 7 Things You May Not Know About #goodfriday by Ikenna17(m): 1:35pm On Mar 25, 2016
Adewunmi84:
Abeg make una dash me LIKES..22nd of March was my birthday but I was unable to get 1000 likes because I requested for it late in the night on that very day due to some issues.I know nairalanders are very generous in doling out likes to celebrelants of birthday.Make una help me continue today.I wan go use am exchange for naira because I learnt that is what the likes gotten on nairaland are used for.And you know the sweetest part,one like is equivalent to one dollar.definitely 1000likes will be 1000 dollars which when changed to Nigeria naira will be nothing less than #300,000.Abeg e o no se or I buruku.I need this money as a capital between today and tomorrow.e seun lopolopo..
I was going to ask if the likes will add money to your bank account, but since it will Oya carry go!
Re: 7 Things You May Not Know About #goodfriday by ideatoprince18(m): 1:50pm On Mar 25, 2016
Tinydick:
Jgijvhjhkkvvxfkmbxxzg
. is DAT d name of ya daddy
Re: 7 Things You May Not Know About #goodfriday by PasNina(m): 2:23pm On Mar 25, 2016
free2ryhme:

I dn buy am already #Sorry
Re: 7 Things You May Not Know About #goodfriday by charlesucheh(m): 2:24pm On Mar 25, 2016
ceometromedia:
Good Friday is a Christian religious holiday commemorating the crucifixion of Jesus Christ and his death at Calvary. The holiday is observed during Holy Week as part of the Paschal Triduum on the Friday preceding Easter Sunday, and may coincide with the Jewish observance of Passover. It is also known as Holy Friday, Great Friday, Black Friday,or Easter Friday, though the last term properly refers to the Friday in Easter week.

1. Why is this day called "Good Friday"

It's not for the reason you might think.

Despite the fact that "good" is a common English word, tempting to say the name is based on the fact that something very good (our redemption) happened on this day, that's not where the name comes from.

Precisely where it does come from is disputed. The Catholic Encyclopedia explains:

The origin of the term Good is not clear. Some say it is from "God's Friday" (Gottes Freitag); others maintain that it is from the German Gute Freitag, and not specially English.

It is also argued that the name is based on a Medieval use of the word good where it meant "holy." Thus "Good Friday" would have come from "Holy Friday," the same way we have Holy Thursday and Holy Saturday.

goodfriday1.jpe

2. How do we celebrate Good Friday today?

According to the main document governing the celebrations connected with Easter, Paschales Solemnitatis: On this day, when "Christ our passover was sacrificed," the Church:

meditates on the passion of her Lord and Spouse,

adores the cross,

commemorates her origin from the side of Christ asleep on the cross,

and intercedes for the salvation of the whole world.

3. Are fast and abstinence required on Good Friday?

Yes. Paschales Solemnitatis notes:

Good Friday is a day of penance to be observed as of obligation in the whole Church, and indeed through abstinence and fasting.

4. Are the sacraments celebrated on Good Friday?

For the most part, no. Good Friday is the only day of the year on which the celebration of Mass is forbidden.

5. What liturgical celebrations occur on this day?

The principal one is known as the Celebration of the Lord's Passion.

6. What happens after the Celebration of the Lord's Passion?

Paschales Solemnitatis notes: after the celebration, the altar is stripped; the cross remains however, with four candles.

7. Are other devotions appropriate to Good Friday?

Paschales Solemnitatis notes: Devotions such as the "Way of the Cross," processions of the passion, and commemorations of the sorrows of the Blessed Virgin Mary are not, for pastoral reasons, to be neglected.

http://www.metronaija.com/2016/03/7-things-you-may-not-know-about.html

Wow! A nice memory refreshing piece!!! Thanks bruv!!!!!
Re: 7 Things You May Not Know About #goodfriday by donswaga: 2:38pm On Mar 25, 2016
A beg make una no vex, e get one question wen I don dey ask since but I never get answer. According to the Catholic write up. 25 December is our Lord jesus christ birthday, one thing that interest me most about 25 December, that day never change 25 is 25 be it Monday Tuesday even Sunday celebration most go on. But the death celebration of our Lord jesus christ keep changing. I don ask questions tire I never get better answer. According to Catholic write up, April 7 is easter celebration but the date keep charging from April to March.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 7 Things You May Not Know About #goodfriday by free2ryhme: 3:00pm On Mar 25, 2016
Ikenna17:

Bro, these are traditions that existed before the bible as we know it.

and doctored by the holy roman empire grin
Re: 7 Things You May Not Know About #goodfriday by kemifunke: 3:06pm On Mar 25, 2016
Re: 7 Things You May Not Know About #goodfriday by Majikals(m): 3:47pm On Mar 25, 2016
Emyben:

But you celebrate Easter, right? and you recognize that the Friday before Easter is termed Good Friday.
Doesn't that make it a Christian rite?

So does it matter?
Or you just uncomfortable with the celebration originating from Catholics? hmm

Uncomfortable? Chairman, I no de carry religious matter for head like dandruff o but I just wanted you to make a clear distinction on your post cos u kinda chipped in church doctrine instead of universally accepted Christian beliefs. For instance
1. Jesus is the son of God (universal Christian belief)
2. Honor of Mary (church doctrine).
It's necessary to distinguish that cos your post began with CHRISTIAN holiday and not denominational wise. Enjoy ur day bro
Re: 7 Things You May Not Know About #goodfriday by Majikals(m): 3:58pm On Mar 25, 2016
Einl:

The foundation of modern Western Christianity is the Roman Catholic Church...

Am not doubting u but a Carpenter father can end up having a fisherman for son. Both are legal and the father won't force down rules of carpentry on a fisherman. The son may decide to drag some helpful rules about carpentry into fishing like hardwork, devotion to duty but that doesn't make him a Carpenter.
Happy good Friday and Easter in advance
Re: 7 Things You May Not Know About #goodfriday by chukkygold014(m): 4:34pm On Mar 25, 2016
ITbomb:

Happy Easter!
Re: 7 Things You May Not Know About #goodfriday by Stanbeto: 4:35pm On Mar 25, 2016
Gud info will about good Friday
Re: 7 Things You May Not Know About #goodfriday by Emyben(m): 7:06pm On Mar 25, 2016
Majikals:

Uncomfortable? Chairman, I no de carry religious matter for head like dandruff o but I just wanted you to make a clear distinction on your post cos u kinda chipped in church doctrine instead of universally accepted Christian beliefs. For instance
1. Jesus is the son of God (universal Christian belief)
2. Honor of Mary (church doctrine).
It's necessary to distinguish that cos your post began with CHRISTIAN holiday and not denominational wise. Enjoy ur day bro

In other words, you simply mean that Catholicism is not part of Christianity? hmm

If it's a Catholic Holiday.....It's a Christian Holiday. Thanks
Re: 7 Things You May Not Know About #goodfriday by Majikals(m): 11:20pm On Mar 25, 2016
Emyben:

In other words, you simply mean that Catholicism is not part of Christianity? hmm

If it's a Catholic Holiday.....It's a Christian Holiday. Thanks

Don't twist what I said. Christianity simply means believe in Christ and being Christ like, not just being Catholics as u simply understand.

Catholics are Christians
Anglicans are Christians
Pentecostals are Christians
Methodists are Christians.

Infact, a real Christian is someone who worships God truly and follows the steps of Christ wholeheartedly n not just by which church building u attend. There's no church in heaven.

You just have to understand that some arguments are not about who is right or wrong, but passing across knowledge. Honestly, I was really hoping u could tell me who Mr. Paschales Solemnitatis is or was before this this whole argument started.
Re: 7 Things You May Not Know About #goodfriday by etayokha2004(f): 2:09am On Mar 26, 2016
[quote author=Majikals post=44094080]Op, Nice post,though but u kinda of made it a Catholic sided writeup..
1.Who is Paschales Solemnitatis?
2.Not every Christian believe in the doctrine of penance.
3.Blessed Virgin Mary? Well, individual differences and understanding of the Bible.

Happy good Friday nairalanders
God bless me
God bless you
God bless us all. [/quote)

If it nt catholic, there will b no easter in dis days new generation church
Catholic Calender set date for easter
Catholic follows step by step d celebration of d Lord passion so if its nt catholic side u may nt even understand wat easter mean to ur Christianity. Frm Ash wednesday to stations of d cross to passion sunday and now holy week- easter tridum (holy thursday,good friday & holy saturday)

Jx to mention but few nairlanders. Proudly catholic!!!
Re: 7 Things You May Not Know About #goodfriday by CharlieMaria(m): 7:24am On Mar 26, 2016
free2ryhme:

And where is it written in the bible all this things you quoted here?
I pity some people in this life. Common sense is truly not common. You are on nairaland. Why are you here? When you don't find nairaland in the bible. Or did any of the celebration aforementioned outside what transpired in the life of Jesus? Wake up friend and don't be deluded by is it in the bible syndrome.
Re: 7 Things You May Not Know About #goodfriday by Majikals(m): 7:34am On Mar 26, 2016
[quote author=etayokha2004 post=44114867][/quote]
Well said my dear. Am not doubting Catholic as being the first church or being the epicenter of creating most Christian holidays. . That's obviously because of the age of the Catholic Church and the following running into billions of worshippers worldwide. All am saying is that Christianity literally is a combination of Catholics, Anglicans, Pentecostals and all who believe chirst and they have a common ground which is "believe in Jesus as the son of God and being Christ like". Now, I know of Christians who don't even celebrate Easter or Christmas, but still worship God and truthfully try to emulate Christ, they are no less of a Christian than you are.

Now for example, if you create a thread on nairaland n name it "STEPS TO BE A GOOD CHRISTIAN",
You don't bring in doctrines like
1. Honor of Mary (it's more of a Catholic sided believe)
2. Praying loudly n speaking in unknown tongues (it's more a Pentecostal thing)
3. No wearing of earrings ( it's a more deeper life or chosen church doctrine)

THERE'S A COMMON GROUND IN CHRISTIANDOM AND THAT'S SIMPLY BELIEVE IN CHRIST AND TRYING TO LIVE LIKE CHRIST, ANYTHING OUTSIDE THAT IS CHURCH OR DENOMINATIONAL DOCTRINE

(1) (2) (Reply)

Olukoya: "Satanic Witchcraft Behind Bloodshed And Massive Deaths In Nigeria" / Emmanuel TV The No.1 Most Watch Christian Channel. / Members Leave Latter Rain Church Over Pastor Bakare’s Failed Political Ambition

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.