Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,607 members, 7,955,238 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 08:16 PM

If Jesus Was God, Why Did He Not Know When He Would Return?" - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / If Jesus Was God, Why Did He Not Know When He Would Return?" (6603 Views)

Joshua Iginla Visits Manger Where Jesus Was Wrapped & Kept After Delivery (Photo / Joshua Iginla Baptises His Mother At River Jordan Where Jesus Was Baptised(p / Joshua Iginla Visits Holy Sepulchre Where Jesus Was Crucified & Buried (pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

If Jesus Was God, Why Did He Not Know When He Would Return?" by ettaetta(m): 9:09pm On Jun 25, 2016
If Jesus was God, why did He not know when He would return?"

many Christians firmly believe that Jesus is God, But
Speaking of Jesus' Second Coming, Matthew 24:36(and Mark 13:32) tells us, “No one knows about that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father.
Any bible Scholar here should throw more light on this.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: If Jesus Was God, Why Did He Not Know When He Would Return?" by diablos: 9:17pm On Jun 25, 2016
Dude where in d scriptures did Jesus claim or where did u see it written dt he is God? The bible portion u quoted is self explanatory telling whoever cares 2 listen dt only d Father knows d end and also refers to Jesus as d son.
Re: If Jesus Was God, Why Did He Not Know When He Would Return?" by Horlufemi(m): 9:50pm On Jun 25, 2016
Speaking of Jesus' Second Coming,
Matthew 24:36 (and Mark 13:32 ) tells us, “No one knows about that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father.”
When Jesus spoke these words to the disciples, even He had no knowledge of the date and time of His return. Although Jesus was fully God ( John 1:1 , 14 ), when He became a man, He voluntarily restricted the use of certain divine attributes ( Philippians 2:6–8 ). He did not manifest them unless directed by the Father ( John 4:34 ; 5:30 ; 6:38 ). He demonstrated His omniscience on several occasions (cf. John 2:25 ; 3:13 ), but He voluntarily restricted that omniscience to only those things God wanted Him to know during the days of His humanity ( John 15:15 ). Such was the case regarding the knowledge of the date and time of His return. After He was resurrected, Jesus resumed His full divine knowledge (cf. Matthew 28:18 ; Acts 1:7 ).
Matthew 24:36 clearly states that the Father alone knows when Jesus' return will be. Verses such as John 5:30 ; 6:38 ; 8:28-29 ; 10:30 ;
12:49 ; 14:28 , 31 ; and Matthew 26:39 , 42 demonstrate Jesus' submission to the Father as well as their Oneness in the Godhead. Yes, they are both God. But some things Jesus had apparently chosen to "give up the rights" to be privy to during His earthly ministry (see
Philippians 2:5-11 ). Jesus, now exalted in Heaven, surely knows all, including the timing of His Second Coming.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: If Jesus Was God, Why Did He Not Know When He Would Return?" by Presbulg(m): 9:58pm On Jun 25, 2016
diablos:
Dude where in d scriptures did Jesus claim or where did u see it written dt he is God? The bible portion u quoted is self explanatory telling whoever cares 2 listen dt only d Father knows d end and also refers to Jesus as d son.

I bet some Christians here will disagree with you and tell you he's God
Re: If Jesus Was God, Why Did He Not Know When He Would Return?" by diablos: 10:09pm On Jun 25, 2016
Presbulg:

I bet some Christians here will disagree with you and tell you he's God

Only d brain-dead myopic ones of course.

1 Like

Re: If Jesus Was God, Why Did He Not Know When He Would Return?" by thorpido(m): 10:12pm On Jun 25, 2016
Horlufemi:
Matthew 24:36 (and Mark 13:32 ) tells us, “No one knows about that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father.”
When Jesus spoke these words to the disciples, even He had no knowledge of the date and time of His return. Although Jesus was fully God ( John 1:1 , 14 ), when He became a man, He voluntarily restricted the use of certain divine attributes ( Philippians 2:6–8 ). He did not manifest them unless directed by the Father ( John 4:34 ; 5:30 ; 6:38 ). He demonstrated His omniscience on several occasions (cf. John 2:25 ; 3:13 ), but He voluntarily restricted that omniscience to only those things God wanted Him to know during the days of His humanity ( John 15:15 ). Such was the case regarding the knowledge of the date and time of His return. After He was resurrected, Jesus resumed His full divine knowledge (cf. Matthew 28:18 ; Acts 1:7 ).
Matthew 24:36 clearly states that the Father alone knows when Jesus' return will be. Verses such as John 5:30 ; 6:38 ; 8:28-29 ; 10:30 ;
12:49 ; 14:28 , 31 ; and Matthew 26:39 , 42 demonstrate Jesus' submission to the Father as well as their Oneness in the Godhead. Yes, they are both God. But some things Jesus had apparently chosen to "give up the rights" to be privy to during His earthly ministry (see
Philippians 2:5-11 ). Jesus, now exalted in Heaven, surely knows all, including the timing of His Second Coming.
Concise explanation.
Some people may come here to disagree but it doesn't change a thing.
Re: If Jesus Was God, Why Did He Not Know When He Would Return?" by feldido(m): 10:32pm On Jun 25, 2016
Tell that to the Trinitarians, Sometimes I wonder if the reader the Bible at all.

John 14:28

You heard that I said to you, ‘I am going away and I am coming back to you.’ If you loved me, you would rejoice that I am going to the Father, for the Father is greater than I am

3 Likes

Re: If Jesus Was God, Why Did He Not Know When He Would Return?" by Presbulg(m): 10:43pm On Jun 25, 2016
diablos:

Really ? That's interesting
Re: If Jesus Was God, Why Did He Not Know When He Would Return?" by AfricanApple(f): 11:31pm On Jun 25, 2016
feldido:
Tell that to the Trinitarians, Sometimes I wonder if the reader the Bible at all.

You heard that I said to you, ‘I am going away and I am coming back to you.’ If you loved me, you would rejoice that I am going to the Father, for the Father is greater than I am
I've argued this same thing with my colleagues. they stand firm that he is one and the same as God
Re: If Jesus Was God, Why Did He Not Know When He Would Return?" by Medicis(m): 11:53pm On Jun 25, 2016
Horlufemi:
until people understand the difference between the Jesus that became a man and the Jesus in his glory presently in heaven, they'll keep having problems with the bible. God bless u Bro!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: If Jesus Was God, Why Did He Not Know When He Would Return?" by Presbulg(m): 11:55pm On Jun 25, 2016
diablos:

Really ? That's interesting
Re: If Jesus Was God, Why Did He Not Know When He Would Return?" by Nobody: 1:41am On Jun 26, 2016
CHRISTIANITY AND LIE ARE LIKE 5 AND 6

7 Likes

Re: If Jesus Was God, Why Did He Not Know When He Would Return?" by chiedu7: 3:14am On Jun 26, 2016
OP you must be one of those who dont know the God nor His word!

John the baptist said that he John the Baptist came before Jesus but Jesus is before Him.
That's confusing to people like you but John the Baptist was born before Jesus but Jesus has alway been before Him.

John 1:15
John bare witness of him, and cried, saying, This was he of whom I spake,
He that cometh after me is preferred before me: for he was before me.

Again Jesus said that no man born of a woman has been greater than John the Baptist,

Matthew 11:11
Verily I say unto you, Among them that are born of women there hath not risen a greater than John the Baptist:
notwithstanding he that is least in the kingdom of heaven is greater than he.

so does it mean that John the Baptist is greater than Jesus,
when John the Baptist Himself said that he is not worthy to untie Jesus's shoe laces.
Let alone being greater than Jesus.

John 1:27
He it is, who coming after me is preferred before me, whose shoe's latchet I am not worthy to unloose.

Likewise Jesus is saying that only the Father knows His coming.

Matthew 24 (KJV)
36 But of that day and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only.

So only the Father knows, and who is the Father.
According to the old testament, Jesus is the Father as God.

Isaiah 9:6 (KJV)
For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder:
and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.

And Jesus agreed that He and the Father are one.

John 10:30 (KJV)
I and my Father are one.

So as human, He does not know but His divine part knows all things.
Thats why Jesus said that it's benefical for Him to go to heaven when He is in only His divine state.

John 16:7
Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away:

In His divine state Jesus said He comes soon.
So He does know now in His divine state

Revelation 22:12
And, behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to give every man according as his work shall be.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: If Jesus Was God, Why Did He Not Know When He Would Return?" by uboma(m): 3:27am On Jun 26, 2016
feldido:

You are on point.

but the advocates of Trinity will always twist the quoted scripture to support their baseless belief...
Re: If Jesus Was God, Why Did He Not Know When He Would Return?" by chiedu7: 3:28am On Jun 26, 2016
So who on this page is mocking Jesus while worshiping allah? angry angry angry

If ur so brave & sure of allah own up, if you dare.
cool cool cool
Re: If Jesus Was God, Why Did He Not Know When He Would Return?" by chiedu7: 3:39am On Jun 26, 2016
feldido:

uboma:

You are on point.
but the advocates of Trinity will always twist the quoted scripture to support their baseless belief...

I am sure that neither of you know anything about the Godhead.
For if you knew, you'd know that each part of the Godhead exhalts the other.

God the Father has given Jesus a name above all names, So even Jesus's name is above the Father's.

Psalm 138:2
I will worship toward thy holy temple, and praise thy name for thy lovingkindness and for thy truth:
for thou hast magnified thy word above all thy name.

And I am sure that you know that Jesus is the word of God.

John 1
1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us.

Jesus said that You can insult the Father & Him Jesus but sins against Him the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven ever

Matthew 12:31
Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men:
but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men.

Jesus said the Holy Spirit will not talk about Himself but only about Him Jesus

John 16:13
Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself;
but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.

So you can see that each part of the Godhead exhalts the other.

I recommend you guys all go seek Jesus who is alive. smiley
Your mohammed is DEAD & BURIED! grin

5 Likes

Re: If Jesus Was God, Why Did He Not Know When He Would Return?" by uboma(m): 3:45am On Jun 26, 2016
chiedu7:

I am sure that neither of you know anything about the Godhead.
For if you knew, you'd know that each part of the Godhead exhalts the other.

God the Father has given Jesus a name above all names, So even Jesus's name is above the Father's.

Psalm 138:2
I will worship toward thy holy temple, and praise thy name for thy lovingkindness and for thy truth:
for thou hast magnified thy word above all thy name.

And I am sure that you know that Jesus is the word of God.

John 1
1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us.

Jesus said that You can insult the Father & Him Jesus but sins against Him the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven ever

Matthew 12:31
Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men:
but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men.

Jesus said the Holy Spirit will not talk about Himself but only about Him Jesus

John 16:13
Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself;
but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.

So you can see that each part of the Godhead exhalts the other.

I recommend you guys all go seek Jesus who is alive. smiley
Your mohammed is DEAD & BURIED! grin

You claim to be a Christian but go on to rubbish people of other faith and their prophets. Does your church and human doctrines (Trinity inclusive) teach you to rubbish others who are not of the same faith with you?

Keep deceiving yourself though...
Re: If Jesus Was God, Why Did He Not Know When He Would Return?" by chiedu7: 4:08am On Jun 26, 2016
uboma:

You claim to be a Christian but go on to rubbish people of other faith and their prophets. Does your church and human doctrines (Trinity inclusive) teach you to rubbish others who are not of the same faith with you?

Keep deceiving yourself though...

Aha you can mock Jesus but can't stand the heat grin

If Allah were God, Moslems would not need to fight and die for him.
But since we all know that Allah is no God,Moslems need to fight for him to make him appear to be what he is not. cheesy

It shows how smart Moslems are, you left the living Jesus to fight and die for the dead Mohammed grin
Re: If Jesus Was God, Why Did He Not Know When He Would Return?" by malvisguy212: 7:01am On Jun 26, 2016
ettaetta:

Speaking of Jesus' Second Coming, Matthew 24:36(and Mark 13:32) tells us, “No one knows about that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father.
when jesus speak this word, He did not know when He will come back again, YES, He is Fully God and at the same time, He is fully Human, His origin is unknown (from ancient of days) But when jesus take up the form of human, is a decision He made,philipian 2:7 say "he emptied Himself by taking the form of a servant" He voluntarily restricted that omniscience to only those things God wanted Him to know during the days of His HUMANITY ( John 15:15). He is God, He emptied Himself for the purpose of his earthly ministry.

3 Likes

Re: If Jesus Was God, Why Did He Not Know When He Would Return?" by cokoduck: 7:24am On Jun 26, 2016
chiedu7:
OP you must be one of those who dont know the God nor His word!

John the baptist said that he John the Baptist came before Jesus but Jesus is before Him.
That's confusing to people like you but John the Baptist was born before Jesus but Jesus has alway been before Him.

John 1:15
John bare witness of him, and cried, saying, This was he of whom I spake,
He that cometh after me is preferred before me: for he was before me.

Again Jesus said that no man born of a woman has been greater than John the Baptist,

Matthew 11:11
Verily I say unto you, Among them that are born of women there hath not risen a greater than John the Baptist:
notwithstanding he that is least in the kingdom of heaven is greater than he.

so does it mean that John the Baptist is greater than Jesus,
when John the Baptist Himself said that he is not worthy to untie Jesus's shoe laces.
Let alone being greater than Jesus.

John 1:27
He it is, who coming after me is preferred before me, whose shoe's latchet I am not worthy to unloose.

Likewise Jesus is saying that only the Father knows His coming.

Matthew 24 (KJV)
36 But of that day and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only.

So only the Father knows, and who is the Father.
According to the old testament, Jesus is the Father as God.

Isaiah 9:6 (KJV)
For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder:
and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.

And Jesus agreed that He and the Father are one.

John 10:30 (KJV)
I and my Father are one.

So as human, He does not know but His divine part knows all things.
Thats why Jesus said that it's benefical for Him to go to heaven when He is in only His divine state.

John 16:7
Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away:

In His divine state Jesus said He comes soon.
So He does know now in His divine state

Revelation 22:12
And, behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to give every man according as his work shall be.

There is this US rapper called Twista, you own that name now. I no longer know the difference between ALMIGHTY and mighty. Even Jesus called the devil the god of this world.

1 Like

Re: If Jesus Was God, Why Did He Not Know When He Would Return?" by cokoduck: 7:37am On Jun 26, 2016
malvisguy212:
when jesus speak this word, He did not know when He will come back again, YES, He is Fully God and at the same time, He is fully Human, His origin is unknown (from ancient of days) But when jesus take up the form of human, is a decision He made,philipian 2:7 say "he emptied Himself by taking the form of a servant" He voluntarily restricted that omniscience to only those things God wanted Him to know during the days of His HUMANITY ( John 15:15). He is God, He emptied Himself for the purpose of his earthly ministry.
Nonsense! during the transfiguration, when Peter spoke up, what happened? During his Baptism by John the Baptist, Who spoke from heaven? Towards his final days here on earth, when he and his disciples visited the temple, who spoke to the hearing of everyone in the temple? Who did Jesus pray to when he prayed in the garden of Gethsemane? When he said, FATHER, please take this cup away from me, but not MY wish, let YOUR wish take place, (just summarizing), so if Jesus was God and emptied himself, (of course he did, but as the Son of God not God himself) and now he is on earth and in heaven at the same time, he does one thing here, and I don't know, speaks from heaven at the same time, and he no longer knows certain things, then Jesus must be mankind's biggest joker. I mean it doesn't make any sense.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: If Jesus Was God, Why Did He Not Know When He Would Return?" by simplex2: 7:40am On Jun 26, 2016
One funny thing about Christianity is that all views has biblical backings: Trinitarians have backup Bible verses to support their stand: non Trinitarians also have valid backup verses from the same Bible.

What a bunch of confused folks.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: If Jesus Was God, Why Did He Not Know When He Would Return?" by otemanuduno: 7:56am On Jun 26, 2016
ettaetta:

Jesus is the son of a god called jehovah. They both reigned in the time of the hominids and Neanderthals(homo erectuses and Co). In our own world, they minister to the heart of people to write about them in a magnified way. Now those things which you write about them are the WORD(bible) AND THE WORD IS WITH THEM(in the realm where they are now) AND THE WORD IS god(to the Christians and the Jews) TO ALL WHO LIVE BY IT.

Domino Reverad is the God who created all the gods you must have heard of. Jehovah is one of the gods, but he is the most troublesome of them all. Vishnu, Eartum, Odin, Mercury, etc are all brothers to Jehovah all in the time of dinosaurs, gigantosauruses, etc.

When their own world ended, ours began, and they have no say in the things happening in our land except if we allow them.

Jesus is the firstborn of the sons of gods, birthed by a god called Murmoh and a goddess called Erdeus(Earthus or Mother Earth) but adopted by jehovah.

Hope you now understand.
Re: If Jesus Was God, Why Did He Not Know When He Would Return?" by malvisguy212: 9:16am On Jun 26, 2016
cokoduck:
Nonsense! during the transfiguration, when Peter spoke up, what happened? During his Baptism by John the Baptist, Who spoke from heaven? Towards his final days here on earth, when he and his disciples visited the temple, who spoke to the hearing of everyone in the temple? Who did Jesus pray to when he prayed in the garden of Gethsemane? When he said, FATHER, please take this cup away from me, but not MY wish, let YOUR wish take place, (just summarizing), so if Jesus was God and emptied himself, (of course he did, but as the Son of God not God himself) and now he is on earth and in heaven at the same time, he does one thing here, and I don't know, speaks from heaven at the same time, and he no longer knows certain things, then Jesus must be mankind's biggest joker. I mean it doesn't make any sense.
jesus in the flesh, pray to God his father, he did so because that was the duty of man. It was God the son that made His dwelling on jesus , God the father is in heaven.
Re: If Jesus Was God, Why Did He Not Know When He Would Return?" by cokoduck: 9:25am On Jun 26, 2016
malvisguy212:
jesus in the flesh, pray to God his father, he did so because that was the duty of man. It was God the son that made His dwelling on jesus , God the father is in heaven.
Twista should be your name, hahaha, If that what you are saying is true then Jesus is a big joker and a Liar. Where in the Bible did you see " It was God the son that made His dwelling on jesus "? Then if God the father is in heaven, why then did you say he is one person, how can ONE person be at two different places at a time, one does something and the other eulogises him, one prays to the other, but they are not two persons but one same person? Christianity and confusion is like 5 and 6 because of you people.

2 Likes

Re: If Jesus Was God, Why Did He Not Know When He Would Return?" by malvisguy212: 10:27am On Jun 26, 2016
cokoduck:
. Where in the Bible did you see " It was God the son that made His dwelling on jesus "? Then if God the father is in heaven, why then did you say he is one person, how can ONE person be at two different places at a time, one
because God is a trancendant being. Our physical law does not apply to God. You speak like this because you limit God ability to human level.
Re: If Jesus Was God, Why Did He Not Know When He Would Return?" by ettaetta(m): 10:32am On Jun 26, 2016
chiedu7:

recommend you guys all go seek Jesus who is alive. smiley
Your mohammed is DEAD & BURIED! grin[/b][/color]
i dont remember mentioning mohammed in my question. Why are u going off point
Re: If Jesus Was God, Why Did He Not Know When He Would Return?" by cokoduck: 11:17am On Jun 26, 2016
malvisguy212:
because God is a trancendant being. Our physical law does not apply to God. You speak like this because you limit God ability to human level.
Your god(intentional small letter g) abi? definitely not Jehovah God, the Grand Author of the Bible, who created the universe and the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. He is not a Father of confusion but of orderliness, but your father the devil is a liar and a manslayer and no atom of truth can be found in him and he is the father also of confusion and disorder, he is the one who brought all these pagan beliefs in a move to dilute the Truth of life so that we may all perish with him. ice the theory of Trinity, which was smuggled in, in the council Nicea in Byzantium, through the emperor Constantine of Constantinople the capital of the Byzantine empire, because he knew very well that a Christian can not be a political figure, instead of resigning he allowed the devil to use him, Look my friend, don't be like Constantine. Nobody can be two persons at a time and not be a Liar and a confusonist. Looking for who to deceive.
Re: If Jesus Was God, Why Did He Not Know When He Would Return?" by Nobody: 11:54am On Jun 26, 2016
How is Jesus Christ the same as God the Father??

Ok, wen God came to the earth as Jesus Christ ; who then was in Heaven wen He was on earth??
Re: If Jesus Was God, Why Did He Not Know When He Would Return?" by orunto27: 12:14pm On Jun 26, 2016
Jesus knows when He would be back. His Timing is spiritual, not manual and not automatic. He is coming like a Thief in the Night. So keep watching to know when you will be castrated for your sins.
Re: If Jesus Was God, Why Did He Not Know When He Would Return?" by MKO4ever(m): 12:33pm On Jun 26, 2016
diablos:
in the beginning was the word, the word was with God, and the word was God. Jesus was the word and therefore Jesus is God

2 Likes

Re: If Jesus Was God, Why Did He Not Know When He Would Return?" by Jozzy4: 1:24pm On Jun 26, 2016
MKO4ever:

in the beginning was the word, the word was with God, and the word was God. Jesus was the word and therefore Jesus is God

U mean God was with God ?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Sleeping Unclothed, It's Spiritual Implications / Women Subconsciously Look For God In Their Husbands Because Lord Made Them So / Ireland Delivered A Hard Slap To The Catholic Church Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.