Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,991 members, 7,817,911 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:50 PM

Why Hisbah Police And Sharia Should Be Stopped Now! - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Hisbah Police And Sharia Should Be Stopped Now! (6809 Views)

Sokoto Govt Disbands Hisbah Commission / Hisbah Seizes Musical Instruments Used During Gov Tambuwal Daughter's Wedding / Kano Hisbah Board Destroys Beer Bottles (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Hisbah Police And Sharia Should Be Stopped Now! by cheruv: 1:39pm On Mar 26, 2016
nduchucks:

onye bu religious bigot? Egbe ndi abriba piafuka gi isi! embarassed

Nigeria ga adi nma ozo. Insha Allahu
Taa mechie onu ure ahu!! angry
Naijiria ke ole?
Re: Why Hisbah Police And Sharia Should Be Stopped Now! by nduchucks: 3:05pm On Mar 26, 2016
cheruv:

Taa mechie onu ure ahu!! angry
Naijiria ke ole?

M huru gi n'anya di ka a nwanne. dolo
Re: Why Hisbah Police And Sharia Should Be Stopped Now! by DrinkWater10: 10:21pm On Mar 26, 2016
waternogetenemy:
I cant remember the last time, i saw nduchucks here, genbuhari, berem and all the other Apc morons. grin

Although, i know they are part of the threaten seun and nairaland party.

Now seun is does their job for dem. Aisha rice is really infectious. grin
Well from my own perspective view, Genbuhari must be the most disappointed of them all.
That man loved(i dont know if he still does)
PMB to a fault.
I hope he responds to this post.
Re: Why Hisbah Police And Sharia Should Be Stopped Now! by suyamasta(m): 2:20pm On May 25, 2016
Re: Why Hisbah Police And Sharia Should Be Stopped Now! by suyamasta(m): 2:28pm On May 29, 2016
They have taken it a notch higher we have to speak against forcing sharia in Nigeria, we are not arabs we are Nigerians!
Re: Why Hisbah Police And Sharia Should Be Stopped Now! by Nobody: 3:11pm On May 29, 2016
fulanimafia:
Even though they seem to have managed to not encroach on the rights of other non-muslim citizens, you are right.

If Nigeria is a secular state, there is really no place for religious police. However it seems that the constitution allows it (or so it has been argued).
. Are you a christian ?
Re: Why Hisbah Police And Sharia Should Be Stopped Now! by Nobody: 3:17pm On May 29, 2016
NOETHNICITY:
See how hypocritical christian wolves will invade this thread now!Muslims ve been giving u pple high blood pressure sincce the time of Saul! Christian fanatics make una see una food! Oya
. And after now this my brother will start claiming south south. Plsss my fellow yoruba man and a muslim like me too. Sharia police is not acceptable in a sane secular state. Got it? Next time don't claim south south again. Be proud of ur odua root. Ok?

1 Like

Re: Why Hisbah Police And Sharia Should Be Stopped Now! by Nobody: 3:20pm On May 29, 2016
DeadWrong:

Typical of illiterates - attacking the messenger and not the message. Why not counter his points with superior arguments rather than playing the religion card?
. That's a yoruba muslim APC member. A zombified one for that matter. Am a yoruba but not a fanatic like that guy
Re: Why Hisbah Police And Sharia Should Be Stopped Now! by Nobody: 3:24pm On May 29, 2016
DauraDullard0:
Sharia prescribes a death penalty for such an act.
. Good answer. Can somebody remind me of the quotation in d koran?
Re: Why Hisbah Police And Sharia Should Be Stopped Now! by Nobody: 3:27pm On May 29, 2016
BenBruce4Presdt:

Bros, don't get so offended about how we Christians view Islam.
Note: it's not only Christians that are outraged by so may Murders carried out by acclaimed Muslims.

However, I have always said it here and will repeat same anywhere...You must be Yoruba and Yoruba Muslims are the best Muslims all over the world..

If all Muslims are Yoruba, I swear things would have never ever get out of hands this way..

You hardly hear a Yoruba Muslim shouting Alhukaba in his personal dealing with another, (be it good or wrong).
I may not be a Fan of Yorubas generally, but when it comes to religious issues, I love Yoruba Muslims..

They are one of the most peaceful ppl around the world, even more peaceful than their Christian counterpart.

But, guy could you shine some lights on the point below, maybe there something not not perceived rightly there.

. You evidenced ur claim on that fulanimafia guy and he ran. Lols
Re: Why Hisbah Police And Sharia Should Be Stopped Now! by ayokellany: 3:28pm On May 29, 2016
DeadWrong:

God bless you. Everything is wrong with this country. I'll always regret coming to the world as a Nigerian.

The earlier you leave the world "Nigeria" the beta for your soul, at least your lamentation will cease once you are gone.
Re: Why Hisbah Police And Sharia Should Be Stopped Now! by Nobody: 3:30pm On May 29, 2016
NOETHNICITY:
That is how to be a leader! Leaders don't take sides! Am not a yoruba but among the three stupppid major ethnic groups we ve in Nig I prefer them! Unlike d ibos, yorubas are not blinded with hate for other ethnic groups! Although tribal discrimination still exist amongst them! But they re better than ibos and hausas!
. This is what I hate about we yorubas. Denying our yoruba root for nothing. Damn it. Am ashamed of some of my fellow yoruba peeps here including you. You guys keep disgracing yoruba nation everyday in almost every social medias. #crying
Re: Why Hisbah Police And Sharia Should Be Stopped Now! by mikki123(m): 3:57pm On May 29, 2016
Sharia police is illegal.. If you see one, stone him
Re: Why Hisbah Police And Sharia Should Be Stopped Now! by lastmessenger: 4:16pm On May 29, 2016
not really that we the south easterners and south south people have anything against the sharia and their bundle of laws but our major concern is on the encroachment on other people of the other faith living in the north. if one is a christain, such person must be allowed to live his normal life,even his life offend the sharia law( but is in conformity with the constitution of the federation).
my simple opinion is that the sharia must be applicable to those who subscribe to the islamic religion.

1 Like

Re: Why Hisbah Police And Sharia Should Be Stopped Now! by freeze001(f): 5:04pm On May 29, 2016
fulanimafia:

Then state your instances, I'll gladly stand corrected as my submission was to the best of my knowledge.

1. Destruction of alcoholic drinks by the hisbah
http://www.informationng.com/2016/02/constitutional-lawyer-festus-okoye-condemns-kano-hisbah-over-seizure-destruction-of-alcoholic-products.html

http://www.authorityngr.com/2016/02/Liquor-seizure--Is-Kano-Hisbah-on-ethnic-cleansing-mission-/

http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/more-news/174605-kano-religious-police-destroys-326-151-bottles-beer.html

As an aside, they hypocritically share of proceeds of taxation from liquor companies and consumers.

2. Sabon Gari is mainly for non muslims and it follows that the hisbah have no business harassing people there for any religious reason. Still,

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/03/kano-state-hisbah-board-arrests-31-girls-immoral-acts/

https://www.jihadwatch.org/2008/02/nigeria-tension-mounts-as-sharia-police-enter-non-muslim-areas

They also break into hotels in the Sabon Gari areas. Is this not Nigeria where one can own and run a business?

http://www.newsroom.ng/welcome-kano-islamic-police-vandalise-hotels-jail-owners-selling-liquor/

These are the major burning areas where they trample on rights of non muslims who are not subject to islam.
Re: Why Hisbah Police And Sharia Should Be Stopped Now! by MarysMeal: 5:33pm On May 29, 2016
Below
Re: Why Hisbah Police And Sharia Should Be Stopped Now! by freeze001(f): 5:33pm On May 29, 2016
NOETHNICITY:
See how hypocritical christian wolves will invade this thread now!Muslims ve been giving u pple high blood pressure sincce the time of Saul! Christian fanatics make una see una food! Oya

freeze001:

http://www.informationng.com/2016/02/constitutional-lawyer-festus-okoye-condemns-kano-hisbah-over-seizure-destruction-of-alcoholic-products.html

http://www.authorityngr.com/2016/02/Liquor-seizure--Is-Kano-Hisbah-on-ethnic-cleansing-mission-/

http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/more-news/174605-kano-religious-police-destroys-326-151-bottles-beer.html

As an aside, they hypocritically share of proceeds of taxation from liquor companies and consumers.

2. Sabon Gari is mainly for non muslims and it follows that the hisbah have no business harassing people there for any religious reason. Still,

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/03/kano-state-hisbah-board-arrests-31-girls-immoral-acts/

https://www.jihadwatch.org/2008/02/nigeria-tension-mounts-as-sharia-police-enter-non-muslim-areas

They also break into hotels in the Sabon Gari areas. Is this not Nigeria where one can own and run a business?

http://www.newsroom.ng/welcome-kano-islamic-police-vandalise-hotels-jail-owners-selling-liquor/

These are the major burning areas where they trample on rights of non muslims who are not subject to islam.

1 Like

Re: Why Hisbah Police And Sharia Should Be Stopped Now! by MarysMeal: 5:33pm On May 29, 2016
freeze001:

Well researched.
Re: Why Hisbah Police And Sharia Should Be Stopped Now! by suyamasta(m): 6:30pm On May 29, 2016
lastmessenger:
not really that we the south easterners and south south people have anything against the sharia and their bundle of laws but our major concern is on the encroachment on other people of the other faith living in the north. if one is a christain, such person must be allowed to live his normal life,even his life offend the sharia law( but is in conformity with the constitution of the federation).
my simple opinion is that the sharia must be applicable to those who subscribe to the islamic religion.
Its so wrong to have allowed it in Nigeria in the first place! We are Nigerians and not arabs
Re: Why Hisbah Police And Sharia Should Be Stopped Now! by ItsMeAboki(m): 7:09pm On May 29, 2016
suyamasta:
The Federal Republic of Nigeria is not a religious State even though it recognises the fact that citizens can choose to practice whichever religion they choose to!
I find it alarming and disturbing to see how some Northern States have chosen to implement Sharia which is a religious code in a State whose citizens are not all Muslims! This calls for worry because it is only leading to oppression, disharmony and social distraught! Especially when those who are also being arrested by the Hisbah police aren't Muslims!
Nigeria should not be held ransome by any religion, it is barbaric and anti-humanity to do so!
We should stop this madness now!
Nigeria is not Saudi Arabia neither are we an Islamic State! We are a people of diverse cultures and traditions!
Its very lowly to see how we have imported and imbibed other peoples religion and culture more than the original people themselves! Yet we have failed to imbibe technological advancement and productivity also!
Please O Ye Africans Know thyself!

The oppression, disharmony and social distraught you are talking about are a figment of your own imagination, which intolerant non-Muslims like you have been spreading in order to frustrate Muslims from fully exercising their right to religion.

Whether you like it or not, sharia is constitutional in this country; if you think otherwise then assemble as many lawyers as you want to challenge and have it overturned by the supreme court - shouting or opening a thread here against it won't change anything but expose your your hatred and ignorance to the realities on the ground.

1 Like

Re: Why Hisbah Police And Sharia Should Be Stopped Now! by BenBruce4Presdt(f): 7:35pm On May 29, 2016
2after1:
. You evidenced ur claim on that fulanimafia guy and he ran. Lols

The guy is only interested in dry argument without concrete proof of his case..

He saw truth in my post..
Re: Why Hisbah Police And Sharia Should Be Stopped Now! by Naijacitizen(m): 7:42pm On May 29, 2016
Why can't you people fighting for the establishing of canonical law which is a guidance for your religion?

1 Like

Re: Why Hisbah Police And Sharia Should Be Stopped Now! by free13: 10:31pm On May 29, 2016
Hmm...
Re: Why Hisbah Police And Sharia Should Be Stopped Now! by suyamasta(m): 8:39am On May 30, 2016
ItsMeAboki:

The oppression, disharmony and social distraught you are talking about are a figment of your own imagination, which intolerant non-Muslims like you have been spreading in order to frustrate Muslims from fully exercising their right to religion.

Whether you like it or not, sharia is constitutional in this country; if you think otherwise then assemble as many lawyers as you want to challenge and have it overturned by the supreme court - shouting or opening a thread here against it won't change anything but expose your your hatred and ignorance to the realities on the ground.
I dont speak out of hatred im against the supremacist ideology of infusing one particular religion into the political framework of our country! it is very wrong and must be stopped!!!
Re: Why Hisbah Police And Sharia Should Be Stopped Now! by suyamasta(m): 8:47am On May 30, 2016
Naijacitizen:
Why can't you people fighting for the establishing of canonical law which is a guidance for your religion?

Religion as a matter of fact is a personal decision between man and God and trying to force it into the political and legal realities of others not of the same faith is a violation of fundamental human rights!
Re: Why Hisbah Police And Sharia Should Be Stopped Now! by ItsMeAboki(m): 10:43am On May 30, 2016
suyamasta:
I dont speak out of hatred im against the supremacist ideology of infusing one particular religion into the political framework of our country! it is very wrong and must be stopped!!!

My friend, pls choose your words sensibly - what supremacist ideology? I hope you are not referring that to Islam.
The political framework you are talking about i.e. our constitution, guarantees every citizen the right to his religion, including Muslims; unfortunately, your position wants to deny Muslims that unalienable right - which seems to derive from your apparent hatred for Islam as reflected in many of your previous posts in this forum.
Re: Why Hisbah Police And Sharia Should Be Stopped Now! by suyamasta(m): 10:56am On May 30, 2016
ItsMeAboki:

My friend, pls choose your words sensibly - what supremacist ideology? I hope you are not referring that to Islam.
The political framework you are talking about i.e. our constitution, guarantees every citizen the right to his religion, including Muslims; unfortunately, your position wants to deny Muslims that unalienable right - which seems to derive from your apparent hatred for Islam as reflected in many of your previous posts in this forum.
Are you such a dunce? Cant you see its wrong for me to just wakeup and say my religious tenets must be obeyed by people around me whether they like it or not, whereas not everybody believes in what i believe in If you want to practice your religion do it! if you want to preach do it! but dont force your religion(imported from The Arab culture) into our existential relationship it is wrong to do so!

#AfricaKnowThyself
Re: Why Hisbah Police And Sharia Should Be Stopped Now! by ItsMeAboki(m): 11:36am On May 30, 2016
suyamasta:
Are you such a dunce? Cant you see its wrong for me to just wakeup and say my religious tenets must be obeyed by people around me whether they like it or not, whereas not everybody believes in what i believe in If you want to practice your religion do it! if you want to preach do it! but dont force your religion(imported from The Arab culture) into our existential relationship it is wrong to do so!

#AfricaKnowThyself

I had already advised you to choose your words sensibly; I shall overlook your insult for now and will appreciate if you do not repeat it again.

Pls refer to my post again and show me where I said my religious tenets (Islam/Sharia) must be obeyed by ppl around me i.e. everybody (presumably including non-Muslims).
I put it to you that you have a serious problem with comprehension and therefore prone to twisting other ppl's words to give them entirely different meaning to suit your own warped interpretation.

If you are implying that Sharia as adopted in some states in Nigeria is an imposition of Islam on non-Muslims, then I have to say that you may have more problems with perception than I had initially assumed.

BTW, there is no culture that existed in isolation without influence from another; if Islam was imported from Arab culture, then kindly explain how Christianity came to Nigeria/Africa - bigotry is a disease, say no to it.
Re: Why Hisbah Police And Sharia Should Be Stopped Now! by Naijacitizen(m): 3:22pm On May 30, 2016
ItsMeAboki:

I had already advised you to choose your words sensibly; I shall overlook your insult for now and will appreciate if you do not repeat it again.

Pls refer to my post again and show me where I said my religious tenets (Islam/Sharia) must be obeyed by ppl around me i.e. everybody (presumably including non-Muslims).
I put it to you that you have a serious problem with comprehension and therefore prone to twisting other ppl's words to give them entirely different meaning to suit your own warped interpretation.

If you are implying that Sharia as adopted in some states in Nigeria is an imposition of Islam on non-Muslims, then I have to say that you may have more problems with perception than I had initially assumed.

BTW, there is no culture that existed in isolation without influence from another; if Islam was imported from Arab culture, then kindly explain how Christianity came to Nigeria/Africa - bigotry is a disease, say no to it.

1 Like

Re: Why Hisbah Police And Sharia Should Be Stopped Now! by suyamasta(m): 6:35pm On May 30, 2016
ItsMeAboki:

You choose to overlook the fact that those Northern states adopting the sharia system are commiting acts of illegality in a non-religious state, from North-East to North-West we have indigenous cultures and people who do not subscribe to the sharia system! i have made it clear that religous practices should not be forced on other groups it is a relationship between man and God! why should a state like kano choose to ban alcohol even for adults? why should they try to indirectly threaten ladies who dont wear hijab? is that what a sane society should be engaged in? when issues of high unemployment, radicalisation, education, poverty and health are begging for solutions!
Re: Why Hisbah Police And Sharia Should Be Stopped Now! by MeAboki(m): 1:15am On May 31, 2016
suyamasta:
You choose to overlook the fact that those Northern states adopting the sharia system are commiting acts of illegality in a non-religious state, from North-East to North-West we have indigenous cultures and people who do not subscribe to the sharia system! i have made it clear that religous practices should not be forced on other groups it is a relationship between man and God! why should a state like kano choose to ban alcohol even for adults? why should they try to indirectly threaten ladies who dont wear hijab? is that what a sane society should be engaged in? when issues of high unemployment, radicalisation, education, poverty and health are begging for solutions!

I have not overlooked anything, on the other hand you are the one who has chosen to repeatedly overlook the stark realities on the ground i.e. that Sharia is a constitutional right for Muslims (that is why nobody has been able to go to court and overturn it). States implementing it in the north are NOT committing any illegality (this belief continues to be only a figment of your own imagination) - learn to live with it.

You are again quite wrong on the issue of ban of alcohol in Kano; yes it is true the state banned the sale and consumption of alcohol but not under the Sharia Code.

Under the constitution, every state is given the right to enact laws passed through its House of Assembly as it deems fit based on its local peculiarities for the common good of its citizens, provided such law(s) does not conflict with the constitution. Kano State chose to use that process to ban alcohol in the state (not under Sharia as you wrongly assumed); much in the same way many states in America also banned alcohol during the prohibition years of the 1930s and Fashola banned smoking in public places within Lagos State.

You can also find similar examples on the issue of hijab (dress code) which you additionally raised - both locally and abroad:

The state of Florida in the USA banned that act of sagging i.e. wearing trousers so low exposing one's underwear, a fine of $500 or 50 hours community service is to be impose on offenders.
https://www.nairaland.com/1500858/florida-town-plans-ticket-women
Akwaihedi community in Nnewi South Local Government Area of Anambra State has allegedly passed a law against the wearing of trousers by women. Offenders will be fined N50,000.
http://thenationonlineng.net/women-wearing-trousers-to-pay-n50000-fine/
Fashola banned hijab in public schools; though the law was challenged but the courts upheld it.
http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/top-news/169658-court-upholds-ban-on-use-of-hijab-in-lagos-public-schools.html
The same Fshola again banned indecent dressing (miniskirts etc) among Lagos civil servants.
http://www.pmnewsnigeria.com/2014/02/20/fashola-bans-mini-skirts-other-attires/

From the above you see that Kano State was not acting against the norm or illegally when it passed the laws concerning alcohol and indecency on its citizens.

It is therefore better, sometimes to ask or research on your own rather than rely heavily on hearsay and sentiments (which is quite apparent in your case) instead of blindly jumping on the bandwagon and exposing your ignorance.

I would advise again that you do something about your comprehension because my earlier posts had already explicitly or implicitly addressed these issues - therefore making all this lengthy explanation totally unnecessary.
Re: Why Hisbah Police And Sharia Should Be Stopped Now! by SirVintageCock: 2:23am On May 31, 2016
What Kano did when compared to other states isn't bad but this pics below are obviously very worrisome.
We have only one police force recognized by the Nigerian constitution. So what the hell are this
MeAboki:

I have not overlooked anything, on the other hand you are the one who has chosen to repeatedly overlook the stark realities on the ground i.e. that Sharia is a constitutional right for Muslims (that is why nobody has been able to go to court and overturn it). States implementing it in the north are NOT committing any illegality (this belief continues to be only a figment of your own imagination) - learn to live with it.

You are again quite wrong on the issue of ban of alcohol in Kano; yes it is true the state banned the sale and consumption of alcohol but not under the Sharia Code.

Under the constitution, every state is given the right to enact laws passed through its House of Assembly as it deems fit based on its local peculiarities for the common good of its citizens, provided such law(s) does not conflict with the constitution. Kano State chose to use that process to ban alcohol in the state (not under Sharia as you wrongly assumed); much in the same way many states in America also banned alcohol during the prohibition years of the 1930s and Fashola banned smoking in public places within Lagos State.

You can also find similar examples on the issue of hijab (dress code) which you additionally raised - both locally and abroad:

The state of Florida in the USA banned that act of sagging i.e. wearing trousers so low exposing one's underwear, a fine of $500 or 50 hours community service is to be impose on offenders.
https://www.nairaland.com/1500858/florida-town-plans-ticket-women
Akwaihedi community in Nnewi South Local Government Area of Anambra State has allegedly passed a law against the wearing of trousers by women. Offenders will be fined N50,000.
http://thenationonlineng.net/women-wearing-trousers-to-pay-n50000-fine/
Fashola banned hijab in public schools; though the law was challenged but the courts upheld it.
http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/top-news/169658-court-upholds-ban-on-use-of-hijab-in-lagos-public-schools.html
The same Fshola again banned indecent dressing (miniskirts etc) among Lagos civil servants.
http://www.pmnewsnigeria.com/2014/02/20/fashola-bans-mini-skirts-other-attires/

From the above you see that Kano State was not acting against the norm or illegally when it passed the laws concerning alcohol and indecency on its citizens.

It is therefore better, sometimes to ask or research on your own rather than rely heavily on hearsay and sentiments (which is quite apparent in your case) instead of blindly jumping on the bandwagon and exposing your ignorance.

I would advise again that you do something about your comprehension because my earlier posts had already explicitly or implicitly addressed these issues - therefore making all this lengthy explanation totally unnecessary.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Terrorist Fulani Herdsmen Release Video Claiming Links In Govt (old video) / National Economic Council Okays Fg’s Measures To Beat Recession / Breaking:court Compels INEC To Include Bayelsa Units In Supplementary Poll

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.