Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,741 members, 7,824,139 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:11 AM

Imo Governor Deflets To Pdp - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Imo Governor Deflets To Pdp (4801 Views)

EFCC Arrests Ikedi Ohakim, Ex-Imo Governor / Imo Governor Rescues Woman From Mob Action / Abandoned Imo Governor Owelle Rochas' Road Project In Akokwa (pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Imo Governor Deflets To Pdp by 08064753382: 2:55pm On Jul 25, 2009
The Imo State governor,chief Ikedi Ohakim has officially deflected from PPA to PDP.He was welcomed back to the party by host of other PDP chieftain-OBJ,Yardua,Goodluck Jonathan,Ogbulafor,David Mark&lots of governors were present @ the welcome ceremony.The PPA has gone to court cause Ohakim got the flag under them.
Re: Imo Governor Deflets To Pdp by sley4life(m): 11:54pm On Jul 25, 2009
any source?
Re: Imo Governor Deflets To Pdp by naijatoday: 12:16am On Jul 26, 2009
Ohakim ruffles feathers over defection, faces legal suit

BY CHIDI NKWOPARA

IMO State governor, Chief Ikedi Ohakim, formally left the Progressive Peoples Alliance (PPA) yesterday and pitched his tent with the ruling Peoples Democratic Party (PDP). The PPA leadership is threatening to drag the decampee to court. Speaking to welcome Ohakim into the PDP family, President Umaru Musa Yar’Adua described the governor as “a treasure to PDP”, adding that they were in Owerri to celebrate his return to the party, as well as his good work in Imo State.

Commending members of the state House of Assembly for working harmoniously with Ohakim in the past two years, the president linked the success of the state administration to this singular act. “Today, Imo State has returned 100 percent to PDP. We should consolidate on the gains. Nigerians are great people and Nigeria is a great nation. I charge the Governor to continue to serve the people better”, the president said.

Chairman, PDP Board of Trustees, Chief Olusegun Obasanjo,, said “We are not just celebrating the re-entry of Governor Ohakim into the PDP, but we are celebrating integrity, honour, promises made and promises fulfilled”.

He recalled how in 2007, the PDP leadership scrambled for who should enter into an accord with party, when it was clear that the coast was not clear for the party in Imo State. Speaking at the event, Ohakim said that no fewer than 600 members of 21 political parties in the state were decamping from their various parties and collapsing into the PDP.

Meanwhile, strong feelers from the leadership of PPA indicated that it is already fine tuning the legal processes to do a serious battle with the governor. The stand of PPA may not be unconnected with the initial threat issued by former governor of Abia State, Chief Orji Uzor Kalu, during a recent interview with a national newspaper.

Sunday Vanguard gathered that PPA has already assembled lawyers to drag Ohakim to court. The National Chairman of PPA, Chief Clement Ebri, said: “We hasten to say with all emphasis at our command that PPA will never condone a situation whereby its platform will be used to attain a political post, only for the beneficiary to decamp and still cling to that position”.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2009/07/25/ohakim-ruffles-feathers-over-defection-faces-legal-suit/comment-page-1/#comment-23030
Re: Imo Governor Deflets To Pdp by sley4life(m): 12:55am On Jul 26, 2009
Ohakim is a fool and a traitor. He has betrayed the people of IMO
Re: Imo Governor Deflets To Pdp by RICHIEBOI1(m): 2:27am On Jul 26, 2009
sley4life:

Ohakim is a fool and a traitor. He has betrayed the people of IMO

what makes him a fool? my brother thats politikz for you. don't hate the player hate the game wink
Re: Imo Governor Deflets To Pdp by sley4life(m): 2:31am On Jul 26, 2009
For all i care the people voted him because they wanted pdp out of the state & he has turned back on the people. It shows how foolish he is even if the game is called politics there are other ways of actualising his course. If a politician in 9ja tells u to turn right its better to take u left because they are full of pranks
Re: Imo Governor Deflets To Pdp by Nobody: 4:18am On Jul 26, 2009
sley4life:

For all i care the people voted him because they wanted pdp out of the state & he has turned back on the people. It shows how foolish he is even if the game is called politics there are other ways of actualising his course. If a politician in 9ja tells u to turn right its better to take u left because they are full of pranks

we all have a right to form a personal political opinion, but to suggest or conclude that it is the opinion of the generality of the IMO people when neither a referendum nor any credible poll has been held to that effect is at best assuming and at worst a cheap propanda.

can you please tell us what the political values of ppa are as opposed to pdp which makes ppa such a wonderful party to preserve by all means. ohakim is a founding member of pdp in imo state, orji kalu the supposed owner of ppa is also a longterm member of pdp untill he fell out with obj and began to nurse a presidential ambition.
and it does not matter what party he declares for, some of us wil still support him because right now in nigeria no political party has any unified values otherwise please classify for me all nigerin political parties using left right and centre or liberal and conservative.

i have listened to a lot of what ohakim has to say and i see him as a man who has a set of world views of his own which hapens to coincide with mine. i am also impressed by his business background and he is a a former ceo. now maybe you might hold other views about his performance as governor but what you can't deny is that the man has got charisma.

i am an unappologetic fan of ohakim as I admire his pragmatism.

as a nigerian i think at this stage what we should be exploring is the legality of these defections. do we vote for political parties? or do we vote for individuals?
while the defection of atiku from pdp to ac and yet remained as vp suggest that we probably vote for individuals, the pronouncement that amaechi could become governor without standing for general elections himself suggest we vote for parties. remember our apex court had a say in both cases.
so it is either ohakim and and the bauchi governor are illegitimate governors having defected or amaechi is the illegitimate governor having inherited a party victory without standing elections himself.
The fact that these two extremes can co-exist simulataneously says a lot about our supreme court.

in the run up to 2011 if our strategy to good governance is that we will accept anything but pdp, unfortunately it may be a hollow strategy as other political parties have not really done enough to distinguish themselves in terms of policy formulation and having a clear strategy. i will like to see pdp loose more grounds but that will not be done on emotions.
Re: Imo Governor Deflets To Pdp by samparian(m): 4:53am On Jul 26, 2009
mikeansy:

as a nigerian i think at this stage what we should be exploring is the legality of these defections. do we vote for political parties? or do we vote for individuals?

while the defection of atiku from pdp to ac and yet remained as vp suggest that we probably vote for individuals, the pronouncement that amaechi could become governor without standing for general elections himself suggest we vote for parties. remember our apex court had a say in both cases.
so it is either ohakim and and the bauchi governor are illegitimate governors having defected or amaechi is the illegitimate governor having inherited a party victory without standing elections himself.

The fact that these two extremes can co-exist simulataneously says a lot about our supreme court.

you have made very nice points.
Re: Imo Governor Deflets To Pdp by naijatoday: 5:26am On Jul 26, 2009
We backed Ohakim for gov because he promised to join PDP - OBJ -Yar'Adua,Ekwueme, Lar, Saraki witness his defection

THE former president, Chief Olusegun Obasanjo, on Saturday, gave an insight into why Imo State Governor, Chief Ikedi Ohakim, defected to the Peoples Democratic Party from his Progressive Peoples Alliance (PPA).

Obasanjo, at the official inauguration of the governor to the party in Owerri, said Ohakim won the governorship election in the state with a promise to defect to the PDP afterwards.

According to him, they decided to pick the governor with the promise that he would declare for the party after winning the election, adding, "He was chosen because of the court action which the party went through during the party primaries."

Speaking at the occasion President Umaru Yar'Adua said the party would continue to work until the entire South East joined the party.

In his brief remark, Ohakim explained that he joined the PDP alongside other political leaders in the nation.

Present at the Ohakim declaration were Vice President, Goodluck Jonathan and former vice president, Dr. Alex Ekwueme. Others were Enugu State Governor, Mr. Sullivan Chime; former governor of old Anambra State, Chief Jim Nwobodo; Kwara State Governor, Dr.Bukola Saraki; former national chairman of the PDP, Chief Solomon Lar, the national chairman of the party, Chief Vincent Ogbulafor; former deputy national chairman, Chief Bode George, among others.

The entire PDP structure in Imo State chose to back Ohakim, who was in the PPA, for the governorship seat of the state in 2007 after the party hierarchy, led by then president, Obasanjo flew into the state 48 hours to the election and announced that the PDP would not be partaking in the governorship election, which was a subtle way of disobeying the Supreme Court judgement which had recognised Chief Ifeanyi Araraume as the bonafide candidate of the party.

http://www.tribune.com.ng/26072009/news/news6.html
Re: Imo Governor Deflets To Pdp by rhymz(m): 2:54pm On Jul 26, 2009
The problem is not Ohakim,it is the polity of our system.Our politicians ve these faulty beliv that with PDP they don't ve to contest based on thier suitability & capability cos the party merchinary is the strongest.
Now another angle i will like us to look at our political structure is the absence of any strong and viable opposition which parades vetran politicianz with moderate acceptance.An opposition party which will not make dsame mistake other mushroom political parties re making,opposition whose policies re based on issues affecting d ordinary nigerian,an opposition party whose pre-requisite for membership is strict and sacrosanct,an opposition party that has vetran intellectuals formulating thier policies,they must try hard to educate the general public abt thier rights through sponsorz of politically based programmez,that way d masses see and know d ideology of the party,where they stand on issues like resource control,method of funding education,Health,the type economic model they think will work for nigeria,an opposition party whose method for selecting candidates will be totally free and fair,a party that it's constituent members will be a true reflection of d nigerian ppl.A party that can pool huge resources from legitimate means to fund it's project.
A party that wont allow itself to be used just as platform for capturing public office alone.
The fact is,ppl vote both party and personality.A formidable party with d right candidate will do d trick for Nigeria.
Re: Imo Governor Deflets To Pdp by truphie(f): 4:08pm On Jul 26, 2009
Ohakim knows he is fighting a losing battle- the kicks of a dying horse. he did not win the elections and now that he sees the case with Martin Agbaso is going to rule against him, he is sheltering under Obj n yar'dua for protection.

Anyway, september is not far,lets see what this big cats will do this time!
Re: Imo Governor Deflets To Pdp by chrisical(m): 4:17pm On Jul 26, 2009
This decision by him will prove costly.
Re: Imo Governor Deflets To Pdp by Nobody: 4:28pm On Jul 26, 2009
If Ohakim ever had any chance at getting re-elected he has finally lost it.

Love or loathe him Orji Uzor Kalu has so much influence in the south east. His party will almost certainly win all the seats in the south east come next election
Re: Imo Governor Deflets To Pdp by Nobody: 4:39pm On Jul 26, 2009
OMO IBO:

If Ohakim ever had any chance at getting re-elected he has finally lost it.

Love or loathe him Orji Uzor Kalu has so much influence in the south east. His party will almost certainly win all the seats in the south east come next election

are u from the South East by any chance?

Orji may have played a role in helping ohakim stand on ppa platform, but to suggest that Orji had any role in ppa winning imo in the last election is stretching the truth. Orji is not that popular.

He will continue to control the politics of Abia state going forward because he seems to have the security apparatus in his pocket but thats as far as it goes.

can I also add that any sitting Governor in Abia state who wish to has the capacity to undermine him.

look at the so called IBB cant even withstand Babangida Aliyu in Niger State politics let alone Orji and the whole South East.

Ignore all the noise the man makes, he has no respect whatsoever in South East.
Re: Imo Governor Deflets To Pdp by hackney(m): 5:06pm On Jul 26, 2009
Political sluts.
Tufiakwa!!
Re: Imo Governor Deflets To Pdp by Nobody: 5:10pm On Jul 26, 2009
http://odili.net/news/source/2009/jun/21/402.html

There is growing concern among politicians in the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) from the South East zone over what they have described as infiltration into the party by former governor of Abia State, Orji Uzor Kalu

mikeansy, abeg read.
Re: Imo Governor Deflets To Pdp by remoranger(m): 5:34pm On Jul 26, 2009
one party state
Re: Imo Governor Deflets To Pdp by Nobody: 5:41pm On Jul 26, 2009
OMO IBO:

http://odili.net/news/source/2009/jun/21/402.html

There is growing concern among politicians in the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) from the South East zone over what they have described as infiltration into the party by former governor of Abia State, Orji Uzor Kalu

mikeansy, abeg read.

the same things am talking about

the reason you call orji a dominant force in south east politics is because you read a newspaper report on speculation of growing concern

I think if a party looses Abia where orji held sway during elections and a second state to ppa, they have every reason to be concerned

but to suggest that somehow orji has some momentum or has any control of political ideology in the south east is an exageration.

the situations that led to ppa winning imo and abia are totally different
Re: Imo Governor Deflets To Pdp by achinu(m): 5:45pm On Jul 26, 2009
Chairman, PDP Board of Trustees, Chief Olusegun Obasanjo,, said “We are not just celebrating the re-entry of Governor Ohakim into the PDP, but we are celebrating[b] integrity, honour[/b], promises made and promises fulfilled”.

Celebrating[b] Honor[/b] and Integrity?? Kai, we don suffer for 9ja When all these quote on quote morons parading themselves as so called leaders dey use words & terms that they don't even understand its dept. Anywhew, in a land where there's no law there can be no offense,
Re: Imo Governor Deflets To Pdp by sleey: 5:52pm On Jul 26, 2009
Ohakim have eaten more than he can chew. I knew all along this was a scheme by pdp. The election in IMO was one by Agbaso (APGA) Then INEC cancelled the result for a fresh election a week after the result was known. OBJ flew to IMO 48hrs before the election & rigged it for Ohakim (PPA) because he felt Ararume was not loyal to him because of the crumbling of his 3rd term bid. Hardly does anyone know Ohakim in IMO state. Even if the result was released accordingly PPA would not be among the top3. Politics is a dirty game, but the pdp have taken it to another rough dimension
Re: Imo Governor Deflets To Pdp by layzie: 5:59pm On Jul 26, 2009
ohakim took the best chance he has to retain his seat come 2011. Take it or leave it, its PDP all the way even in Anambra state. All eyes should be on Mr. Peter Obi, just that I'm not sure PDP will accept him undecided
Re: Imo Governor Deflets To Pdp by back2back(f): 5:59pm On Jul 26, 2009
This makes me remember the golden words of Martin Niemöller:

In Germany they first came for the Communists,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Communist.

Then they came for the Jews,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Jew.

Then they came for the trade unionists,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a trade unionist.

Then they came for the Catholics,
and I didn't speak up because I was a Protestant.

Then they came for me —
and by that time no one was left to speak up.
Re: Imo Governor Deflets To Pdp by rasputinn(m): 6:30pm On Jul 26, 2009
Did you say deflet?? shocked Well,Mr Governor whether you defletted,deflected,deflated or defecated,SHAME on you for defecting to the PDP and abandoning the party on whose platform you ascended that position
Re: Imo Governor Deflets To Pdp by Nobody: 6:38pm On Jul 26, 2009
mikeansy, i'm sorry i do not agree with you.
The sound east is about the only geographical zone that the PDP are not sure about.

Ohakim joined PDP cos of the powers that be who are also members of PDP. But he has failed to realise that those powers have nothing on PPA and/or APGA.
Re: Imo Governor Deflets To Pdp by chykeo(m): 7:30pm On Jul 26, 2009
Et tu Ohakim?

Ohakim is not sure of himself and his abilities come 2011. So he decided to join the rig masters to be able to retain his seat in 2011. Let us all watch and see. His insecurity is as a result of his unperformance! Does Fashola need to join the PDP to be able to secure his second term?
Re: Imo Governor Deflets To Pdp by dedeike: 7:35pm On Jul 26, 2009
its a defection long overdue. those who are angry over it lack a fair understanding of the politics that led to the emergence of ohakim as governor of Imo state in the  first instance. Imo state is and has always been a PDP state. PDP won all the  Assembly, House of reps and senatorial seats in the state. ohakim was a member of PDP. His affair with ppa was borne out of the consensus by pdp stakeholders to stop Ararume, whom the supreme court imposed on the party. thats why obasanjo said its a promise fulfilled. PPA has no stake in Imo politics and orji kalu knows.
Re: Imo Governor Deflets To Pdp by Nobody: 7:49pm On Jul 26, 2009
OMO IBO:

mikeansy, i'm sorry i do not agree with you.
The sound east is about the only geographical zone that the PDP are not sure about.

Ohakim joined PDP cos of the powers that be who are also members of PDP. But he has failed to realise that those powers have nothing on PPA and/or APGA.

may be I have lost track but I really don't get what you are disagreeing

I believe our argument started based on your ascertion that Orji Kalu was in control of South East politics.
I will tell you what I think and what obtains in IMO politics as I am myself an indigene.

IN Politics everywhere in the world, you have influence if you are either a member of the establishment or you are in control of the grass-roots.
In Nigerian politics votes don't necessarily count so what matters most is the establisment and power of incumbency.

No doubts Orji Kalu is highly connected in Nigerian politics. But his powers were with the establishment, he also enjoyed power of incumbency recently having being Governor of Abia for 8years.
He does not have any special legacies nor is he identified with any credible ideology to suggest that he will enjoy local grass roots support accross the South East.

As Governor of Abia and in charge of Abia State security he had the capacity to install his then chief of staff (Theodore Orji) who was then in Prison but thats as far as his powers lies, he has influence on the establishment in Abia.
These days he has left the PDP, he is in opposition, his establishment connections are gravely reduced to Abia State. Outside Abia he does not mean much.

Talking about IMO and Ohakim regretting ditching Orji. That is just a myth. In Imo politics Godfathers don't work. Achike Udenwa, Emmanuel Iwuanyanwu, Evans Enwerem, Arthur Nzeribe all have influence to the extent that they respected and maintained good relationship with the sitting Governor, otherwise they will be marginalised. This was the case during the Udenwa days and so it is now.

So to suggest that Orji has any kind of influence in Imo state politics and as such will affect the guber elections in the state come 2011 is just out of place.

Did you see the folks who attended the defection? Obasanjo, Yar'adua, Jonathan, Gowon, Solomon Lar, Ekwueme, Rochas Okorocha, Vincent Ogbulafor, Udenwa, Nzeribe, Iwuanyanwu etc.

As far as Nigerian politics goes currently the list above makes up the establisment and that is what unfortunately counts in Nigerian politics.

If Orji Kalu comes to IMO to talk rubbish he could be arrested and locked up. Thats power for you it is transient.

Ohakim himself will not be in control forever, he will be in the wings someday too.
Re: Imo Governor Deflets To Pdp by Nobody: 7:50pm On Jul 26, 2009
dedeike:

its a defection long overdue. those who are angry over it lack a fair understanding of the politics that led to the emergence of ohakim as governor of Imo state in the  first instance. Imo state is and has always been a PDP state. PDP won all the  Assembly, House of reps and senatorial seats in the state. ohakim was a member of PDP. His affair with ppa was borne out of the consensus by pdp stakeholders to stop Ararume, whom the supreme court imposed on the party. thats why obasanjo said its a promise fulfilled. PPA has no stake in Imo politics and orji kalu knows.   

exactly!!!!

Orji Kalu wu onye (who is Orji) ? shocked shocked shocked
Re: Imo Governor Deflets To Pdp by ifyalways(f): 8:51pm On Jul 26, 2009
@Mike,did u say Rochas attended the party shocked ?
Re: Imo Governor Deflets To Pdp by Nobody: 9:04pm On Jul 26, 2009
Rochas?? and PDP??
i thought he was floating his own party??

mikeansy, you sound like a guy who knows exactly what he is on about.
Your arguement looks good on paper otherwise. . . . .

Are you trying to tell me that pple like Goodluck Jonathan, Yar Adua, washed up Iwuanyanwu etc etc have an iota of infleunce in Imo state if and when compared to Orji Kalu?

Now don't get me wrong. I haven't suggested that Orji Kalu and or his party is a sure bet in the south east but one thing that isnt far from the truth is PDP and who ever flies the flag of PDP in the south east will definitely not have stroll in the park come the next election.

By the way, i am not in anyway affiliated to Kalu or rooting for him. I'm just stating my arguement.
Re: Imo Governor Deflets To Pdp by hubreality(m): 9:22pm On Jul 26, 2009
OBJ strong for this government. Ararume finally humbled. Mafian game of politics indeed. Ohakim was indeed chosen by PDP though a PPA flag bearer. These old men! They don't retire at all! Hmm. The Lord is our helper.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nupeng Threatens To Shut Oil Production Amid Strike / Poor Turnout Mars Apc/Buhari Campaign In Edo State [photo] / Vote Wisely, Your Vote Your Right.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.