Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,579 members, 7,770,514 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 11:19 AM

Ola Orekunrin, The Youngest Doctor In England At Age 21 - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Ola Orekunrin, The Youngest Doctor In England At Age 21 (56146 Views)

Sad! Tanzanian Conjoined Twins Die At Age 21 (photos) / Vegan Single Mum Drinks Sperm Every Morning To Give Her Energy In England / Harnaam Kaur, Youngest Female With Beard Shares Inspiring Story (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ola Orekunrin, The Youngest Doctor In England At Age 21 by afrifuturestarz(m): 7:26am On Mar 27, 2016
Ola Orekunrin, now 30 years from Ilawe-Ekiti in Ekiti State of Nigeria, was born, raised and trained in the UK, where she graduated as one of the youngest medical doctors in England . She is also a trainee helicopter pilot.

While she was studying to become a doctor in the UK, her younger sister fell seriously ill while traveling in Nigeria. The 12-year-old girl, who’d gone to the West African country on holiday with relatives, needed urgent care, but the nearest hospital couldn’t deal with her condition.

Orekunrin and her family immediately began looking for an air ambulance service to rapidly transport the girl, a sickle cell anemia sufferer, to a more suitable healthcare facility. They searched all across West Africa but were stunned to find out there were none in the whole region.

“The nearest one at the time was in South Africa,” remembers Orekunrin. “They had a 12-hour activation time so by the time they were ready to activate, my sister was dead".
“It was really a devastating time for me and I started thinking about whether I should be in England talking about healthcare in Africa, or I should be in Africa dealing with healthcare and trying to do something about it.”

Orekunrin did the latter. Motivated by the tragic death of her sister, the young doctor decided to leave behind a high-flying job in the UK to take to the Nigerian skies and address the vital issue of urgent healthcare in Africa’s most populous country.

Determined to make a difference in medical practice and health care delivery system in Nigeria, Orekunrin decided to set up Lagos-based Flying Doctors Nigeria, the first air ambulance service in West Africa, transporting victims of medical emergencies, including industrial workers from the country’s booming oil and gas sector. It basically provides critical care transportation solutions to both the private and public sector by selling yearly air ambulance cover plans to states, companies and individuals.

Since then, she has successfully steered the company upwards in achieving its corporate goals and ensuring sustained growth.“Against all odds, I passed my A-Levels with flying colors, started my degree at the University of York at 15. I supported myself all through, working. I wrote my final medical examinations at 21, thus emerging the youngest medical doctor in England,” said Ola Orekunrin.

NB: Read more stories about young Africans across the globe

Source: http://www.africafuturestars.com/2016/03/at-age-of-21-this-ekiti-born-doctor.html

38 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Ola Orekunrin, The Youngest Doctor In England At Age 21 by Nobody: 7:28am On Mar 27, 2016
WOW...........
Thats true determination.
FTC........
Dedicated to the christians all over the world.
Happy easter celebration.

48 Likes

Re: Ola Orekunrin, The Youngest Doctor In England At Age 21 by Nobody: 7:33am On Mar 27, 2016
Great achievement.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ola Orekunrin, The Youngest Doctor In England At Age 21 by Nobody: 7:34am On Mar 27, 2016
pyyxxaro:
Sai Fayose

Sai Ekiti

Fcúk Bull-hari

Fcúk APC embarassed
. . . When will you get over Jona's defeat?! You better don't kill yourself with wailing! You go wail tire!!

134 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Ola Orekunrin, The Youngest Doctor In England At Age 21 by ojnnaco(m): 7:40am On Mar 27, 2016
pyyxxaro:
Sai Fayose
Sai Ekiti
Fcúk Bull-hari
Fcúk APC embarassed

12 Likes

Re: Ola Orekunrin, The Youngest Doctor In England At Age 21 by yellowbeauty(f): 8:11am On Mar 27, 2016
modelmike7:
. . . When will you get over Jona's defeat?! You better don't kill yourself with wailing! You go wail tire!!
the name BUHARI will never cease to come out of their mouth....they all wailers

46 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ola Orekunrin, The Youngest Doctor In England At Age 21 by LEGITLAYO: 8:53am On Mar 27, 2016
God bless you doc....
cheesy.
It's my birthday, Nairalanders, pls show some love...

152 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ola Orekunrin, The Youngest Doctor In England At Age 21 by sauceEEP(m): 9:42am On Mar 27, 2016
Her smile though...

7 Likes

Re: Ola Orekunrin, The Youngest Doctor In England At Age 21 by Raydos: 10:16am On Mar 27, 2016
#MadeInNigeria

2 Likes

Re: Ola Orekunrin, The Youngest Doctor In England At Age 21 by Akshow: 10:36am On Mar 27, 2016
pyyxxaro:
Sai Fayose

Sai Ekiti

Fcúk Bull-hari

Fcúk APC embarassed
get well soon

45 Likes

Re: Ola Orekunrin, The Youngest Doctor In England At Age 21 by christejames(m): 10:42am On Mar 27, 2016
Pretty lady with brain, I love it!

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ola Orekunrin, The Youngest Doctor In England At Age 21 by Akshow: 10:53am On Mar 27, 2016
pyyxxaro:

With ur goat face

Next time mind ur goat business
u are in my prayers. You will get over it.

21 Likes

Re: Ola Orekunrin, The Youngest Doctor In England At Age 21 by beycity(m): 10:54am On Mar 27, 2016
Determination + Hard work = Success.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ola Orekunrin, The Youngest Doctor In England At Age 21 by Nobody: 11:06am On Mar 27, 2016
I heared that medical students in nigeria will now spend 11 yrs in medical schools b4 they graduate lipsrsealed. that means if i decide to go back to school now i will graduate @56 wow!. then i will just retire and starting chopping my pension.

back to the topic, kudos to her she rep.ing us +'ly.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ola Orekunrin, The Youngest Doctor In England At Age 21 by DIKEnaWAR: 11:35am On Mar 27, 2016
Good news coming out of Nigeria. This is what we expect to hear.

4 Likes

Re: Ola Orekunrin, The Youngest Doctor In England At Age 21 by segxes23(m): 12:29pm On Mar 27, 2016
I've always heard about orekunrin, What ekiti lacks in natural resources, it possess double in human resources. It takes not a thug and not far from the grassroots governor to harness it

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ola Orekunrin, The Youngest Doctor In England At Age 21 by Hydriss(m): 1:26pm On Mar 27, 2016
call her "small doctor "

3 Likes

Re: Ola Orekunrin, The Youngest Doctor In England At Age 21 by agoadiv(m): 1:38pm On Mar 27, 2016
how much are they even paid sef

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ola Orekunrin, The Youngest Doctor In England At Age 21 by ritababe(f): 1:47pm On Mar 27, 2016
crotonite:
I heared that medical students in nigeria will now spend 11 yrs in medical schools b4 they graduate lipsrsealed. that means if i decide to go back to school now i will graduate @56 wow!. then i will just retire and starting chopping my pension.
back to the topic, kudos to her she rep.ing us +'ly.

na country be this? well make we they manage am.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ola Orekunrin, The Youngest Doctor In England At Age 21 by teekay213(m): 2:16pm On Mar 27, 2016
thank buhari.
Re: Ola Orekunrin, The Youngest Doctor In England At Age 21 by liztemi(f): 3:16pm On Mar 27, 2016
Determination is the key!!!

2 Likes

Re: Ola Orekunrin, The Youngest Doctor In England At Age 21 by gen2briz(m): 3:21pm On Mar 27, 2016
pyyxxaro:
Sai Fayose

Sai Ekiti

Fcúk Bull-hari

Fcúk APC embarassed

Not again

1 Like

Re: Ola Orekunrin, The Youngest Doctor In England At Age 21 by Decibel: 3:21pm On Mar 27, 2016
Watch as Fayose ambush her at Murtala Mohammed International Airport and claims her where as she is NOT a zoogerian cheesy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ola Orekunrin, The Youngest Doctor In England At Age 21 by Decibel: 3:21pm On Mar 27, 2016
I will advise her to stay put in Britain where there is still job prospects not in Zoogeria where the children of the party loyalists have been rewarded by Buhari through the backdoor employment @CBN without an approval from FCC grin

4 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

I've Not Seen My Period For Almost 7weeks Now, Yet I'm Not Pregnant / 8 Critical Signs That You Have Stomach Ulcers And What To Do About It / The Top 6 Causes Of Kidney Disease

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.