Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,729 members, 7,816,998 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:37 PM

How Do You Cope With The Stigma Of Being Out Of Job - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / How Do You Cope With The Stigma Of Being Out Of Job (3901 Views)

How Do Introverts Cope In Job Race / Job Seekers In Kaduna Troop Out In Search Of Job Vacancies (Photos) / After A Long Day Of Job Hunting (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do You Cope With The Stigma Of Being Out Of Job by Bawal: 12:12pm On Mar 28, 2016
Being out of job for a longer time is very frustrating.You have been working and later lose ur job due to ur company passing tru hard times.You have spent almost ur savings to ensure taking care of urself n family,ofcos Kids and paying ur bills don't know whether u r working or not.Worse still,many of ur friends will start deserting u.They can hardly visit u or call u on phone.If u call them,most times they won't pick ur calls or return ur calls even if they saw tens missed calls from you for fear that u want to beg them for something.Going out to hang out,they won't call u to join them because they now see u as a parasite.U r on ur own.Some may claim to ask u to send ur cv without even for once forwarding it to anywhere on ur behalf..Family memebers won't be happy with u as if u don't know wat u r doing.Infact,the experience is very severe with many negative effects and can never wish anybody to undergo such.For those that have passed tru this terrible experience or passing tru it,how do u cope.Share ur experience and advice.

2 Likes

Re: How Do You Cope With The Stigma Of Being Out Of Job by GentleNaaz(m): 12:20pm On Mar 28, 2016
It has not bn easy coping financially.
Re: How Do You Cope With The Stigma Of Being Out Of Job by brownemmanuel43(m): 12:39pm On Mar 28, 2016
It has not been easy, submitting cv here and there, making calls, sometimes i ask myself whether i sined against God or humanity, waking up in the morning thinking about my life. Life is really really hell fire on me

3 Likes

Re: How Do You Cope With The Stigma Of Being Out Of Job by dejisky(m): 12:44pm On Mar 28, 2016
To be out of job is a terrible experience.Friends and family desert you very quickly. I was out of job for close to 3 yrs jumping from 1 odd job to another to avoid begging anyone for anything because I hate begging.I did sales Boy in Indomie store to Labourer at construction site.Immediately I landed a job I didn't tell those that deserted me.It was a terrible n pathetic experience, my phone hardly ring for weeks even up till now if not frm my new colleagues n clients.
Just be prayerful and don't limit your hustling, My Good lord will open way for those that are looking for job in Jesus name.

33 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do You Cope With The Stigma Of Being Out Of Job by banteeee: 12:59pm On Mar 28, 2016
It's a phase a lot of employees would pass through. Don't despair. Keep praying, applying and improving yourself, you would definitely land another job. It's a function of time. For some people it's sooner for some others it may tarry awhile. Don't bother yourself on what people think, it's detrimental to you!!!

3 Likes

Re: How Do You Cope With The Stigma Of Being Out Of Job by Benjom(m): 1:31pm On Mar 28, 2016
I had to leave my job to pursue my passion. At first, it's as if the world turned against me but now I can't but appreciate God for doing my own thing.

#HardWorkPays
Re: How Do You Cope With The Stigma Of Being Out Of Job by LaurelP(m): 4:12pm On Mar 28, 2016
Its good to be very smart from the first day of starting a new job. Start planning on the future, don't wait until you're sacked or laid off.
From the onset, start saving something from your salary no matter how small. Open an account strictly for savings and don't collect ATM card. Put aside at least 10percent of ur salary savings. That way, u can at least have sth to hold on to in case of any unforseen contingency.

Also, if u can invest ur money into sth that doesn't really need your physical presence while working, then do so. U can partner with someone by just putting ur money into a venture. That way u can still have an alternative source of income. I know of bankers who run one side business or the other just to augment and have sth to fall back on.
In this present times nobody depends on only one source of income any longer. Anything can happen at any time.
That's for those who are still employed.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do You Cope With The Stigma Of Being Out Of Job by Nobody: 6:23pm On Mar 28, 2016
brownemmanuel43:
It has not been easy, submitting cv here and there, making calls, sometimes i ask myself whether i sined against God or humanity, waking up in the morning thinking about my life. Life is really really hell fire on me
PLEASE house anybody wit job, hence its job dat can put food on my table am available, just tired of staying at home. brownemmanuel43@gmail.com, God bless

1 Like

Re: How Do You Cope With The Stigma Of Being Out Of Job by EmmySparky(m): 7:26pm On Mar 28, 2016
It hasn't been easy...but with my laptop...I still make my cash..
Re: How Do You Cope With The Stigma Of Being Out Of Job by flamxy682(m): 8:18pm On Mar 28, 2016
EmmySparky:
It hasn't been easy...but with my laptop...I still make my cash..

How bro?
Re: How Do You Cope With The Stigma Of Being Out Of Job by Bawal: 8:40pm On Mar 28, 2016
Honestly,its never a good experience.Atimes will keep on asking "na so this world be?".Just like somebody commented-ur phone hardly ring because nobody cares abt calling u again.

1 Like

Re: How Do You Cope With The Stigma Of Being Out Of Job by kaybills(m): 9:14pm On Mar 28, 2016
Re: How Do You Cope With The Stigma Of Being Out Of Job by jaybanfa(m): 10:17pm On Mar 28, 2016
I resigned my appointment with a subsidiary of a conglomerate in 2013 December after my annual leave.. The stigma i got was from my spouse, surprisingly. Bros, women are something else. I am gainfully employed with a faith based non governmental org and the period I was out of job gave me clarity and I was able to start a consulting business.. So, you resigning or lossing your job is actually a blessing. My take sha.

1 Like

Re: How Do You Cope With The Stigma Of Being Out Of Job by kingsize4life(m): 11:18am On Mar 29, 2016
My place of work layed off all their staffs since last year march due to financial crisis.since then nobody sees any good thing about me. My mother is even the worst she keeps castigatin me to anybody that cares to listen that I hav never and will never take care of her.this is the same person that I use to giv a certain amont of money for her upkeep monthy till I lost dat job.at times I cry I even called relatives and friends and even my brodas wife staying in lagos and portharcourt to pls allow me to stay in their place and look for job all of dem gav me different stories.one of my friends that use to eat and sleep in my house while we were still in school told me openly that I cann ot stay in his hous that I should look for somewhere else.my cousin that finally allowed me to stay in her place gav me hell.she will chose who I will greet and not to greet in the compound at times afta trekkin the whole of trans amadi dropin my cv she will refuse to giv me food.this is somebody that grew up wit us since wen she was three years old.my parents sponsored her education and her marriage.this my situation has really made me to knw my true friends and enemies.my girlfriend and my sisters hav really stood by me in my tryin times.my moda has been trying at but she will do tins dat will get u upset.I jst pray the tide turns very soon

8 Likes

Re: How Do You Cope With The Stigma Of Being Out Of Job by akanbiaa(m): 11:30am On Mar 29, 2016
Bawal:
Being out of job for a longer time is very frustrating.You have been working and later lose ur job due to ur company passing tru hard times.You have spent almost ur savings to ensure taking care of urself n family,ofcos Kids and paying ur bills don't know whether u r working or not.Worse still,many of ur friends will start deserting u.They can hardly visit u or call u on phone.If u call them,most times they won't pick ur calls or return ur calls even if they saw tens missed calls from you for fear that u want to beg them for something.Going out to hang out,they won't call u to join them because they now see u as a parasite.U r on ur own.Some may claim to ask u to send ur cv without even for once forwarding it to anywhere on ur behalf..Family memebers won't be happy with u as if u don't know wat u r doing.Infact,the experience is very severe with many negative effects and can never wish anybody to undergo such.For those that have passed tru this terrible experience or passing tru it,how do u cope.Share ur experience and advice.
As long as you are not lazy or arrogan you will have menial labour to do, and if you are creative you could think of something that will add value to peoples lives and earn money from it. And if nothing works be prayerful, change negative attitude send morr CVs out, apply for jobs, read books, watch documentaries and watch as many inspirational and motivationsl videos as possible and never believe thats is one enemy somewhere that made life hard for you.

1 Like

Re: How Do You Cope With The Stigma Of Being Out Of Job by akanbiaa(m): 11:40am On Mar 29, 2016
kingsize4life:
nobody sees any good thing My mother is even the worst she keeps castigatin me to anybody that cares to listen that I hav never and will never take care of her.this is the same person that I use to giv a certain amont of money for her upkeep monthy till I lost dat job.my moda has been trying at but she will do tins dat will get u upset.I jst pray the tide turns very soon
I noticed 3 things about you
1. You have little or no regards for your mother(that could be the root cause of your problems, no one suceeds in these life or hereafter without parental blessings especially the mother)
2. If the tides turn what will you do? revenge and take the so called people that avandoned you as enemies ?(that will never work for you need to show them love instead so you wount turn to what you hate)
3. Humble yourself, work on your attitude and try teaching or menial labour to survive while you keep seeking your dreamb job, CV is no longer a job ticket but experience, skills and mostlly connecting well with good attitude with people of all Age groups.

2 Likes

Re: How Do You Cope With The Stigma Of Being Out Of Job by borie4u(m): 12:27pm On Mar 29, 2016
@op
Its been eight yrs I finished nysc. Over the yes I have taught in secondary schools n gathered money with which I completed my MSc at Unilag. I can tell u I understand wat ur going thru. Friends will desert u. I was just lucky I have a good family . after MSc I still went to d same teaching which was d worst of all. Salaries were owed n paid installmentally . over that friend that I helped never bothered. I would have lost it but the fact that I must tell my positive story still keep me going . d truth is hang on. Nothing kills like idleness which is all thanks to d older generation that made d youth an endangered species but keep ur head up. It will get better
Re: How Do You Cope With The Stigma Of Being Out Of Job by octopusfreaky(f): 12:37pm On Mar 29, 2016
Ive bn joblsss for three years Currently doing Msc shaa I have been tempted to open a thread maybe i would meet an helper here..
Re: How Do You Cope With The Stigma Of Being Out Of Job by felix281(m): 12:45pm On Mar 29, 2016
LaurelP:
Its good to be very smart from the first day of starting a new job. Start planning on the future, don't wait until you're sacked or laid off.
From the onset, start saving something from your salary no matter how small. Open an account strictly for savings and don't collect ATM card. Put aside at least 10percent of ur salary savings. That way, u can at least have sth to hold on to in case of any unforseen contingency.

Also, if u can invest ur money into sth that doesn't really need your physical presence while working, then do so. U can partner with someone by just putting ur money into a venture. That way u can still have an alternative source of income. I know of bankers who run one side business or the other just to augment and have sth to fall back on.
In this present times nobody depends on only one source of income any longer. Anything can happen at any time.
That's for those who are still employed. @ laurel, always on point.... u just nail my kind of person....tnx man

Re: How Do You Cope With The Stigma Of Being Out Of Job by 0955eb027(m): 1:39pm On Mar 29, 2016
Mine s 5months old naw.. I completed ma M.Sc in october n since den, i ve bin sitin @ home.. Initially, i tot invite for tests n interviews were goin 2 cum easy, bt its nt just hapnin d way i had hoped. Gradually, m beginin to c d oda way of life, gf don lemme for anoda guy afta al d promises. Eating at least twice a day s fast bcumin a tin of d past; as i speak, i ve gat jst 5h. My parents re d rson m stil survivin. GOD forbids. If anytin happens to dem, my suffering wil skyrocket. Bottom line s i rily nid a job, any job. M particularly interested in factory jobs as dat wil giv room for pursuing oda tinz yl m @ it.

1 Like

Re: How Do You Cope With The Stigma Of Being Out Of Job by cmonek(m): 3:05pm On Mar 29, 2016
Being unemployed is the worst thing to happen to any individual, especially guys.. Lots of embarrassments, no one cares about you, fake friends abandons you, family pressure piles up etc..
God has been the ultimate source of ones livelihood here in Ph. Becoming an enteprenuer aint easy though, but we will keep pushing and believing the almighty to bless ones hustle and send us a divine helper who will know no rest until he or she lifts one from this current level to a juicy one.
To my fellow brethens out there, just try and learn a skill, no matter how embarrassing that might look, all we should be after is the pay check at the end of the day. The first few months might not be encouraging, but being steadfast, courageous and putting the 'I can do it' attitude will make people pick interest in you and patronize you always..
Always have this at your subconscious... ALL HUSTLES HAVE A PAY DAY...
Cmonek

3 Likes

Re: How Do You Cope With The Stigma Of Being Out Of Job by PEREP: 3:52pm On Mar 29, 2016
I am close to tears reading the accounts here. Why complain promotion never come? Why complain Salary is not just enough? Why complain this Job inside AC is too stressful? Why, why, why..... angry

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Do You Cope With The Stigma Of Being Out Of Job by Nobody: 4:10pm On Mar 29, 2016
But where is lalasticlala sef
Re: How Do You Cope With The Stigma Of Being Out Of Job by Nobody: 4:59pm On Mar 29, 2016
Our parents used to tell us about the good old days. Where they were given jobs without applying for it. In fact some of them even claimed they were official cars immediately after graduating from school. They found employment with their grade six certificate( good jobs) something like having a secondary school certificate. My questions is how comes they never bothered about preparing the ground for this generation just as the founders of this nation did for them?

1 Like

Re: How Do You Cope With The Stigma Of Being Out Of Job by Nobody: 5:00pm On Mar 29, 2016
Our parents used to tell us about the good old days. Where they were given jobs without applying for it. In fact some of them even claimed they were given official cars immediately after graduating from school. They found employment with their grade six certificates( good jobs) something like having a secondary school certificate. My questions is how comes they never bothered about preparing the ground for this generation just as the founders of this nation did for them?

2 Likes

Re: How Do You Cope With The Stigma Of Being Out Of Job by dela13: 5:07pm On Mar 29, 2016
Try this Op and thank me later. Try to engage yourself with church activities if you are a Christian and spend more time with your families until you have a job
Re: How Do You Cope With The Stigma Of Being Out Of Job by techthought: 5:12pm On Mar 29, 2016
Bawal:

I have never had that experience but I had similar. I once lost a job, though I am not married, and I don't have kids. What I did, was never stayed at home for a day. I was out there till I got a job. Now I don't work for anyone anymore. I do my own business. There a lot of businesses you could do. Real estate for example. You could get buyers for sellers in real estate industry, car dealers, etc. There are things you could do with your time, just look around you.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do You Cope With The Stigma Of Being Out Of Job by techthought: 5:14pm On Mar 29, 2016
0955eb027:
Mine s 5months old naw.. I completed ma M.Sc in october n since den, i ve bin sitin @ home.. Initially, i tot invite for tests n interviews were goin 2 cum easy, bt its nt just hapnin d way i had hoped. Gradually, m beginin to c d oda way of life, gf don lemme for anoda guy afta al d promises. Eating at least twice a day s fast bcumin a tin of d past; as i speak, i ve gat jst 5h. My parents re d rson m stil survivin. GOD forbids. If anytin happens to dem, my suffering wil skyrocket. Bottom line s i rily nid a job, any job. M particularly interested in factory jobs as dat wil giv room for pursuing oda tinz yl m @ it.

What did you study? You guys should try learning how to code, it is fastest way to get a job. You learn how to code and in 6 months, you are guaranteed a job.
Re: How Do You Cope With The Stigma Of Being Out Of Job by 0955eb027(m): 5:23pm On Mar 29, 2016
techthought:

What did you study? You guys should try learning how to code, it is fastest way to get a job. You learn how to code and in 6 months, you are guaranteed a job.
Mathematics bro. Wats d coding al abt? Help me out. But den again, i stil nid to do sumtin to earn money asap.
Re: How Do You Cope With The Stigma Of Being Out Of Job by CheedyJ(m): 5:41pm On Mar 29, 2016
Life after school isn't just easy at all.... 8 months down d line & no job..at least, thank God for secondary schools even though d salary is so meagre but at at least I can still maintain my sanity because am this close to committing suicide
Re: How Do You Cope With The Stigma Of Being Out Of Job by TonyeBarcanista(m): 6:20pm On Mar 29, 2016
The older generation failed the youths

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Do You Cope With The Stigma Of Being Out Of Job by benzion72(m): 7:06pm On Mar 29, 2016
Friends nothing is new under the sun, we all have our down time . My advise connect with your faith at the moment, also get ready to busy doing something even if it is private school teaching, just make sure you are going out to avoid depression. Then think of what you can do for yourself

(1) (2) (Reply)

Entry Level Recruitment At Proteck Aluminium Company Limited / Click Here To Get 1st Bank Invitation / How To Detect Job Scam!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.