Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,581 members, 7,820,103 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:42 AM

Opinion: Why Girls Tend To Get Better Grades Than Boys Do - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Opinion: Why Girls Tend To Get Better Grades Than Boys Do (804 Views)

How To Study And Make Good Grades – Tips For Average Students / What Is The Thing That Boys Do Daily And Girls Once In Her Life Time ? / Grades For Sex: Nekede Polytechnic Student Begs Lecturer For Help (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Opinion: Why Girls Tend To Get Better Grades Than Boys Do by umehmj(m): 5:24pm On Mar 28, 2016
I met Mike when i was preparing for JAMB. We attend same class and we both are science inclined. academically i am good but Mike is better. i can't take it away from him and i could bet then he will bag first class when he finally gets admitted. we both gained admission same year but different schools and through out our stay in school we didn't see each other until yesterday. he had called two days back to tell me he is coming to town and coincidentally i was in town too for Easter. so it is only normal we meet, talk and reminisce about old times. In the course of our conversation we swapped phones to check our pictures and all. as i was scrolling through his pix i saw a snap shot of his degree certificate. our brilliant Mike came out with a second class lower division. WHAAT!!!!! "how did our brilliant Mike end up in the second lower division?" was the question running through my mind all night, through to this morning, until i looked inwards and discovered it is not just Mike, but my own self and almost all the intelligent guys i knew from way back. our performance i must admit was below our pedigree. on another hand the girl that takes the 5th position in my class in my primary school days went ahead to bag a first class in law (we attended same institution ). so i can't help but wonder what went wrong with the guys and how we somehow loose our way. i did some research and observation and came out with this few reasons why girls tend to do better than boys in school.
1. GIRLS PLAN AHEAD, SET ACADEMIC GOALS AND PUT EFFORT INTO ACHIEVING THOSE GOALS

Even from kindergarten age, girls have far better self regulation than the boys. girls generally has the ability to follow correct instructions and perform tasks as required without deviating, unlike the boys who generally have low self regulation and generally erratic.

this self discipline edge for girls carries into secondary school and beyond. the girls, therefore, edge out the boys in over all self discipline and this contributes greatly to their better grades across all subjects. girls are more adept to reading test instructions before proceeding to the questions, paying attention to the teacher rather than daydreaming, choosing homework over TV and persisting on long term assignments despite boredom and frustration. girls are also apt to start their homework earlier in the day than boys and spend almost double the amount of time completing it. only very few boys possess these qualities.

self discipline is a predisposition to plan ahead, set goals and persist in the face of frustration and setbacks, is uniformly considered by social scientists to be an inborn personality trait that is not evenly distributed across all humans. infact, cross cultural studies shows that females tend to be more self disciplined than males. so boys less-developed self discipline leaves them at a disadvantage in school settings where grades heavily weight good organizational skills alongside demonstrations of acquired knowledge.

2. BOYS ARE PERFORMANCE ORIENTED

On the whole, boys approach school work differently. they are more performance oriented. studying for exams taps into their competitive instincts. for many boys, exams are quests and doing well on them is a demonstration of excellence. the implication is that boys tends to value exams and practicals to class work and assignments which they often see as boring and of little consequence. this, again, places the boys at a disadvantage because our school system is structured in a way that homework, class attendance and organizational skills accounts for so much of their grades. In my school days, my colleagues and i would go for contract jobs outside the school. we would spend weeks working and honing our engineering skills but at the expense of quizzes, assignments and class attendance. the ladies of course always make the better grades but most are engineers on paper.

3. ECONOMIC FACTOR

You all will agree with me that more and more boys engage in one or more ventures in order to sustain themselves through school. some are even breadwinners in their family. most girls, on the other hand, are full time students. all they think about is their studies. I'm not saying some ladies don't fend for themselves. some do. but the ratio of boys to girls is way too high. going through school is enough stress already, now imagine combining it with work and family responsibilities. only the married women in school can relate to this. so it is usually very difficult to maintain excellent grades while one is a working student, which most boys are.

4. BOYS FACTOR

Boys will always be boys until they grow into men. they will always want to show their coolness and that they are not nerds. most girls don't have this type of problem. girls usually focus on study while most boys spend most of their time on video games, bars, sports betting centers or engage in sports and social activities. but when a boy grows up, if he finds the right stimulus they can overtake women. it is usually during this growing up process that boys discover their potentials.

finally, there are smart people and stupid people, good students and bad, different winners in different areas. so none of my arguments are set in stone. but as a general statement it is fair to say females are better students all around.

Umeh Johnson M.

1 Like

Re: Opinion: Why Girls Tend To Get Better Grades Than Boys Do by babyfaceafrica: 5:25pm On Mar 28, 2016
Your assertions are fallacious,but I will spare you since there is a caveat at the end of your statement.Those I will blame are male of this indomie generations...in the 90s downwards ,it was not like that.male dominates academic settings...cowbell awards,JET award,are just a few that I can mention were awards won by the male folks.The male of this generations want fast success,that's why they deviated from what's status quo,,they measure success base on how much money you have,how many cars you have and how many ladies you do kawazaki with........your assertion will only stand from 2003 till date..but from 2002 to the 80s its wrong!!!!!
Re: Opinion: Why Girls Tend To Get Better Grades Than Boys Do by xender(m): 6:10pm On Mar 28, 2016
This is true for this our present generation. before girls were lackadaisical towards education .Na boys dey run am but now boys no dey serious .only but a few we need fast wealth and education hardly guarantee that ..
Re: Opinion: Why Girls Tend To Get Better Grades Than Boys Do by Tocheagle(m): 6:39pm On Mar 28, 2016
Every thing u wrote here is super Crappy FALSE . B4 I graduated I saw lots of bimbos . Boy were taking d lead in my department. This ur observation no gel jare

(1) (Reply)

Nigerian Student Expose Warwick University Over Racist Incident. / 5 Incredible Sample Size Calculators Every Researcher Should Have / Project Topics And Materials In Arts And Humanities

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.