Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,596 members, 7,809,156 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:53 AM

Is The Lecture Holding? Will The Lecture Be Held? Which Is Correct? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Is The Lecture Holding? Will The Lecture Be Held? Which Is Correct? (3579 Views)

Bauchi Secondary School Closed After Students Held Wedding Among Themselves / Unilag Students Supports The Lecture Pictured To Be Beating A Student / Which Is Correct; Eat Orange Or Drink Orange (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is The Lecture Holding? Will The Lecture Be Held? Which Is Correct? by Fr33born(m): 12:53am On Mar 29, 2016
In our higher institutions , you often hear students ask these questions '' is the lecture holding? Did the lecture hold, will the lecture hold". And they get replies like "No, it's not holding, it did not hold, the lecture is holding, the lecture will hold" .

Just few days ago , a friend told me that those statements are very wrong and that the correct question should be " will the lecture be held?, was the lecture held?" and the answer should be "YES, the lecture was held, no, it was not held. It won't be held.

Please NL, we want to know which is the correct question and the answer .
Re: Is The Lecture Holding? Will The Lecture Be Held? Which Is Correct? by zeetyzin(m): 1:06am On Mar 29, 2016
`will the lecture hold' sounds more appropriate. and the answers should be, yes, it will & no, it wont.
Re: Is The Lecture Holding? Will The Lecture Be Held? Which Is Correct? by princy80(m): 3:08am On Mar 29, 2016
will the lecture hold? is the lecture in session? has the lecture started?... is the lecture in session? no. will it hold? yeah. ****on a lighter note**** will the lecture occur or take place?
Re: Is The Lecture Holding? Will The Lecture Be Held? Which Is Correct? by nepapole(m): 6:51am On Mar 29, 2016
Understanding is the koko.
Re: Is The Lecture Holding? Will The Lecture Be Held? Which Is Correct? by Fr33born(m): 7:28am On Mar 29, 2016
nepapole:
Understanding is the koko.
I don't get you.
Re: Is The Lecture Holding? Will The Lecture Be Held? Which Is Correct? by nepapole(m): 7:36am On Mar 29, 2016
Fr33born:

I don't get you.
Communication is the most important I.e when both parties understand the message being passed regardless of how correct the grammar is. My opinion though.
Re: Is The Lecture Holding? Will The Lecture Be Held? Which Is Correct? by babyfaceafrica: 7:41am On Mar 29, 2016
Will the lecture be held?.......is the lecture holding?.......is the lecture been held?......its all about knowing your tense
Re: Is The Lecture Holding? Will The Lecture Be Held? Which Is Correct? by Engineer123(m): 7:51am On Mar 29, 2016
Your friend was right.
Reference: Oxford Advanced dictionary 8th edition. Check hold and under it, look for meeting(18) it was explained there.
The problem is that English has too many rules and often confusing when apply it.
Re: Is The Lecture Holding? Will The Lecture Be Held? Which Is Correct? by Fr33born(m): 2:23pm On Mar 29, 2016
nepapole:

Communication is the most important I.e when both parties understand the message being passed regardless of how correct the grammar is. My opinion though.
Ok
Re: Is The Lecture Holding? Will The Lecture Be Held? Which Is Correct? by Fr33born(m): 2:24pm On Mar 29, 2016
babyfaceafrica:
Will the lecture be held?.......is the lecture holding?.......is the lecture been held?......its all about knowing your tense
thanks bro
Re: Is The Lecture Holding? Will The Lecture Be Held? Which Is Correct? by Fr33born(m): 2:26pm On Mar 29, 2016
Engineer123:
Your friend was right.
Reference: Oxford Advanced dictionary 8th edition. Check hold and under it, look for meeting(18) it was explained there.
The problem is that English has too many rules and often confusing when apply it.

Thank you sir. I will check it ASAP.

(1) (Reply)

Dramatic Moment Kids Fight Off Massive Snake As It Tries To Kill Their Pet Dog / COVID19: Schools Including Tertiary Institutions Will Resume When It Is Safe -FG / NNPC/SNEPCO Scholarship: Share Your Test Experience

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.