Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,411 members, 7,812,219 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 10:13 AM

Nigerians Are Smart Especially The Igbos - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerians Are Smart Especially The Igbos (4470 Views)

I Am Disappointed In Most Muslims ,especially The Educated Ones / Nigerians, Especially The Yorubas Must Open Eye To The Hausa/fulani Enslavement. / Buhari Loves Nigerians, Especially The Igbos. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerians Are Smart Especially The Igbos by blackmatter007: 9:28am On Mar 29, 2016
I don't know if Nigerians are the smartest people on earth but they sure are smart, Igbo folk in particular. To give an example; back in 1981 I was hiring staff in Warri. A young (17) Igbo fellow called Sam asked for a job. He was as short as me and very slim so not suitable for laboring work. He was totally full of beans so I hired him anyways to help me with line testing gear. Sam had had just four years of primary education. About a week in he asked me why I liked the small numbers on the test gear and did not like the big ones. So sitting there under a mangrove I explained voltage, current, Ohms law and the problem with contaminated connections. About an hour later Sam comes back with a drawing and a handful of batteries. He wanted to know whether there was a way to put the batteries in the geophones so as to push the signal through even with poor connections. I was gobsmacked. An hour after hearing of Ohm's law for the first time he'd dreamt up the concept of a pre-amplifier. I had an electronics workshop so I took Sam into it and started with the math and electronics. He lived in that lab. He went from Euclid to Leibniz in less than a month. Six weeks in he was using spectrum analysers to control inter-modulation between multiple radio transmitters. In the eleven months we worked/learnt together Sam got to about associate degree level. He set up an electronics store after.
Some damn smart folk in the Delta.
Pat

Written 16 Mar 2015

9 Likes

Re: Nigerians Are Smart Especially The Igbos by chriskosherbal(m): 9:29am On Mar 29, 2016
An average Nigerian is smart and I mean positive smartness.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Are Smart Especially The Igbos by Nobody: 9:36am On Mar 29, 2016
Re: Nigerians Are Smart Especially The Igbos by Nobody: 9:39am On Mar 29, 2016
How does a story of a youngman reflects the same for millions others

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Are Smart Especially The Igbos by blackmatter007: 9:39am On Mar 29, 2016
Not all nigerians, when you talk about Nigeria, you talk about the South.

Take the South away from Nigeria, watch as she becomes the second Niger!

5 Likes

Re: Nigerians Are Smart Especially The Igbos by blackmatter007: 9:41am On Mar 29, 2016
Hagmond:
How does a story of a youngman is the same for millions others

Yes it is, millions of igbos are just like that young chap!

The biafran war supports it, also igbos were used to rubbish the white claims of IQ.

Igbos are truly blessed!

9 Likes

Re: Nigerians Are Smart Especially The Igbos by Nobody: 9:49am On Mar 29, 2016
In what ways did the civil war support your claims and about IQ the concept of iq is very vague most of the intelligent scientists and artists in the world are not even among the highest scores
blackmatter007:

Yes it is, millions of igbos are just like that young chap!

The biafran war supports it, also igbos were used to rubbish the white claims of IQ.

Igbos are truly blessed!
Re: Nigerians Are Smart Especially The Igbos by ojnnaco(m): 9:49am On Mar 29, 2016
chriskosherbal:
An average Nigerian is smart and I mean positive smartness.
Re: Nigerians Are Smart Especially The Igbos by zuchyblink(m): 9:52am On Mar 29, 2016
Sarduana of Sokoto said the same thing
Re: Nigerians Are Smart Especially The Igbos by blackmatter007: 10:06am On Mar 29, 2016
Hagmond:
In what ways did the civil war support your claims and about IQ the concept of iq is very vague most of the intelligent scientists and artists in the world are not even among the highest scores

Please don't feign ignorance. Read about the ingenuity of the igbos in the biafran civil war and also here's the link to the unz IQ discussion

http://www.unz.com/article/the-iq-gap-is-no-longer-a-black-and-white-issue/

7 Likes

Re: Nigerians Are Smart Especially The Igbos by blackmatter007: 10:13am On Mar 29, 2016
[quote] Lynn’s work has been discredited and debunked numerous times, as he makes up data, and cherry picks results – so no point quoting him!

I agree with Drake above, there is massive selection for elite students from West Africa, to come to US colleges – so they are not representative of anything African. Some groups like the Ibo/Igbo of South Eastern Nigeria were rated as superior intellectually by the British, so there is no reason to believe they wouldn’t be similar today. Similar claims were made for the Tutsi of Rwanda[ /quote]

If the British rated the igbos as superior intellectually, if also the unz debunked the white IQ claim using the igbos. Then there is more to it than the eye sees.

Igbos are truly blessed, even the biased mind knows it.

11 Likes

Re: Nigerians Are Smart Especially The Igbos by Nobody: 10:22am On Mar 29, 2016
Im not feigning ignorance battles in wars are won due to various reasons,you cant use victory in war to justify intelligence nations like vietnam and afghanistan dealt with world powers in war ie usa and russia respectively
iq scores are determined by various factors like parental status,finance,background,etc the idea that iq is hereditary is currently not acceptable by leading scientists
blackmatter007:

Please don't feign ignorance. Read about the ingenuity of the igbos in the biafran civil war and also here's the link to the unz IQ discussion

Re: Nigerians Are Smart Especially The Igbos by Nobody: 10:23am On Mar 29, 2016
Im not feigning ignorance battles in wars are won due to various reasons,you cant use victory in war to justify intelligence nations like vietnam and afghanistan dealt with world powers in war ie usa and russia respectively
iq scores are determined by various factors like parental status,finance,background,etc the idea that iq is hereditary is currently not acceptable by leading scientists
i prefer discussion,links irritate me
blackmatter007:

Re: Nigerians Are Smart Especially The Igbos by kettykin: 10:28am On Mar 29, 2016
Hagmond:

if you dont believe the evidence in the story of Sam at least you can check common entrance cut off points for states or you can check the Ivy league schools admission list

10 Likes

Re: Nigerians Are Smart Especially The Igbos by blackmatter007: 10:30am On Mar 29, 2016
Hagmond:
i prefer discussion,links irritate me

Sorry about the irritation, the comment section of the unz discussion, one reader wrote and I quote:

"Fascinating. Real tragedy that the Igbo Biafran secession failed so badly…read some accounts and was always impressed by the degree of ingenuity on display among the Igbos. The rest of Nigeria really seems to drag them down.

I’d bet on the Tutsis as another of the more intelligent groups."

There are lots of people who know/read about the biafran war, and the all agreed that the igbos are truly gifted intellectually.

If you don't agree with me on that, well, others agree!

8 Likes

Re: Nigerians Are Smart Especially The Igbos by Nobody: 10:35am On Mar 29, 2016
There is more to intelligence than test score for example albert einstein was not even considered for admission at a particular point by tertiary institutions
ibos have been doing well in waec and that is commendable.
kettykin:

if you dont believe the evidence in the story of Sam at least you can check common entrance cut off points for states or you can check the Ivy league schools admission list
Re: Nigerians Are Smart Especially The Igbos by blackmatter007: 10:41am On Mar 29, 2016
Hagmond:
There is more to intelligence than test score for example albert einstein was not even considered for admission at a particular point by tertiary institutions
ibos have been doing well in waec and that is commendable.

But do you also agree that the igbos are blessed intellectually!
Re: Nigerians Are Smart Especially The Igbos by Nobody: 10:42am On Mar 29, 2016
Im not saying ibos arent intelligent hell no what am trying to say is that intelligence is randomly distributed,nigeria as a state is in a quagmire and its holding most of us down
as to your references to the north as a problem,the north issue is about idealogies do you they are even first educated than most of us down south before western education came on the scene,arabs even contributed alot to mathematics and medicine during the medievial period
blackmatter007:

Sorry about the irritation, the comment section of the unz discussion, one reader wrote and I quote:

"Fascinating. Real tragedy that the Igbo Biafran secession failed so badly…read some accounts and was always impressed by the degree of ingenuity on display among the Igbos. The rest of Nigeria really seems to drag them down.

I’d bet on the Tutsis as another of the more intelligent groups."

There are lots of people who know/read about the biafran war, and the all agreed that the igbos are truly gifted intellectually.

If you don't agree with me on that, well, others agree!
Re: Nigerians Are Smart Especially The Igbos by blackmatter007: 10:45am On Mar 29, 2016
Hagmond:
Im not saying ibos arent intelligent hell no what am trying to say is that intelligence is randomly distributed,nigeria as a state is in a quagmire and its holding most of us down
as to your references to the north as a problem,the north issue is about idealogies do you they are even first educated than most of us down south before western education came on the scene,arabs even contributed alot to mathematics and medicine during the medievial period

Yes I admit but of what benefit have the "first education" been on the Nigerian space?

Western education is the in thing now, the Southerners have long adjusted to it so I don't think their so called first education have any use in our present time.

4 Likes

Re: Nigerians Are Smart Especially The Igbos by blackmatter007: 10:48am On Mar 29, 2016
Hagmond:

Hagmond I know you will agree with me that if we had a southern Nigeria republic, she will be the envy of Nations in the world.

We can't continue to live like this.. I curse the day we were almagamated!

4 Likes

Re: Nigerians Are Smart Especially The Igbos by Nobody: 11:07am On Mar 29, 2016
Ofcourse,If we had a southern nigeria republic all will be well but not too well,we are not even sane we fight ourselves like rabid dogs
the problem with nigeria and the black race is what were our forefathers doing when the rest of the world was developing because if we were all this colonisation and almagamation wont have occured
any right thinking negro should put their shoulder to the wheel
blackmatter007:

Hagmond I know you will agree with me that if we had a southern Nigeria republic, she will be the envy of Nations in the world.

We can't continue to live like this.. I curse the day we were almagamated!
Re: Nigerians Are Smart Especially The Igbos by Nobody: 11:11am On Mar 29, 2016
Apart from cramming and reciting the quoran i dont know of any knowledge should be built upon as time goes on
but we have here another problem of religion
blackmatter007:

Yes I admit but of what benefit have the "first education" been on the Nigerian space?

Western education is the in thing now, the Southerners have long adjusted to it so I don't think their so called first education have any use in our present time.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Are Smart Especially The Igbos by koladebrainiac(m): 11:14am On Mar 29, 2016
THE POSTER IS NOT SMART AT ALL
Re: Nigerians Are Smart Especially The Igbos by blackmatter007: 11:26am On Mar 29, 2016
koladebrainiac:
THE POSTER IS NOT SMART AT ALL

I started a topic, Hagmond who seem to be Yoruba choose the intelligent way to discuss, and here you are spewing trash as usual. I wonder who is the foolish one between the three of us.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Are Smart Especially The Igbos by Nobody: 11:31am On Mar 29, 2016
Please ignore the guy,the in thing on nairaland is to insult people to get likes
blackmatter007:

I started a topic, Hagmond who seem to be Yoruba choose the intelligent way to discuss, and here you are spewing trash as usual. I wonder who is the foolish one between the three of us.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Are Smart Especially The Igbos by Nobody: 11:34am On Mar 29, 2016
Hagmond:
How does a story of a youngman reflects the same for millions others

Beef... It is in the gene

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Are Smart Especially The Igbos by ibedun: 11:43am On Mar 29, 2016
The Japanese and Koreans can beat their chest all day long saying they are smart and intelligent, why? The proof is their country.

Nigerians are neither smart nor intelligent, why? Just look at our country and all national institutions. We are wretched, underdeveloped, terrible culture and des eased and poor.

As for Igboland, that is another story all together. Smart we ain't.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Are Smart Especially The Igbos by Nobody: 11:50am On Mar 29, 2016
I wont blame the north i would rather blame the british would leave behind a trail of woes in every country they ever colonise
we not generally compatible and this events has done damages already which may never be redeemable
nnamdi kanu and other freedom fighters should have been able to the magic but alas they always get alot of things wrong
a revolution is truly needed take niger delta for instance freedom fighters forgot their people began swimming in the sea of corruption
if wreally want to salvage what is left before everything goes to the dogs we youth must forget all this selfish old men and form an alliance start a raging revolution
but again who wants to dare and at this point that is why i respect kanu even though the way he went about it is not too cool
blackmatter007:

If I may ask wat caused the constant quarrels between the igbos and the yorubas? My unbiased answer is the NORTH!

They knw that a united southern Nigeria is a big risk to their power hungry ambition, so they decided to use the tested and trusted British method of divide and rule!

I don't want to go into details but we Southerners must change our ways, if I had my chance, I will ask my Eastern brothers to root for a southern Nigeria republic rather than Biafra but the question remains are the yorubas ready to join forces to achieve a southern republic. Forget the food nonsense we hear about the north, if there are calls for a southern republic, I bet you the middle belt will be involved no doubt. If I may ask is Benue north? Is kogi north? They are Southerners but because of political and geographical greed, they were given the north tag by the hausas and Fulani.

Many will agree with me that awolowo wanted a southern republic but Nnamdi with his stupid and foolish Afrocentric view choose the present Nigeria so if I want to blame any of the two, Nnamdi is the culprit but what has been done has been done already!

If there are no calls for southern Nigeria republic, I'm afraid Bi.afra might be the only option for ambitious and positive minded people who are worried about their future and that of their inborn generations.

To add, competition amongst the two biggest ethnic groups in southern Nigeria republic will spur unprecedented growth. So I for one believe the "cold quarrels" between the two groups is a very healthy one.

But I'd prefer southern Nigeria anyday, anytime!
Re: Nigerians Are Smart Especially The Igbos by OmoIgala: 11:50am On Mar 29, 2016
Okaay o, We have heard you.
Re: Nigerians Are Smart Especially The Igbos by blackmatter007: 11:50am On Mar 29, 2016
ibedun:
The Japanese and Koreans can beat their chest all day long saying they are smart and intelligent, why? The proof is their country.

Nigerians are neither smart nor intelligent, why? Just look at our country and all national institutions. We are wretched, underdeveloped, terrible culture and des eased and poor.

As for Igboland, that is another story all together. Smart we ain't.

Yes but when you bring the issue of the quota system, then you will know that southern Nigeria have been drawn back by the north. Although corruption contributes to our problem but then who brought about corruption in the Nigerian system, the Northerners.

We need a southern Nigeria republic. Let's fight for it. It should be the hope of all Southerners but I'm afraid that the Northerners will fight against it with the last drop of blood. The only way I see a southern Nigeria achieved is after the biafrans must have gained Independence then talks about unification of the former southern Nigeria might crop up. But for now if there is no collective will, you will agree with me that it is only a dream.
Re: Nigerians Are Smart Especially The Igbos by blackmatter007: 11:55am On Mar 29, 2016
Hagmond:
I wont blame the north i would rather blame the british would leave behind a trail of woes in every country they ever colonise
we not generally compatible and this events has done damages already which may never be redeemable
nnamdi kanu and other freedom fighters should have been able to the magic but alas they always get alot of things wrong
a revolution is truly needed take niger delta for instance freedom fighters forgot their people began swimming in the sea of corruption
if wreally want to salvage what is left before everything goes to the dogs we youth must forget all this selfish old men and form an alliance start a raging revolution
but again who wants to dare and at this point that is why i respect kanu even though the way he went about it is not too cool

Exactly! I agree with all that you have said but I feel that the Southerners will at the end of the day unify after the biafrans must have gained Independence because we have lived together for so long that it's hard to let each other go, almost all the process made in Nigeria has the imprint of the South, infact 99%

If you read my response to ibedun, you will agree with me that that's the only way a united southern republic will be achieved.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

Rejoinder: Nigerians Dont Care If South East Leave Nigeria. SS Is the Issue. / Nigeria Joins African Union Campaign To End Child Marriage / Why Igbos And Yorubas Are Chasing Shadows

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.