Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,394 members, 7,836,584 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 10:16 AM

Government Removes Principal, Deputy, Four Teachers For ‘assaulting’ Pupil - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Government Removes Principal, Deputy, Four Teachers For ‘assaulting’ Pupil (1135 Views)

Zambian Man To Sue His Teachers For Subjecting Him To 'Useless' Education. Pics / Mum Invades School With Thugs In Abeokuta, Beats Up Teachers For Caning Child / EVA ADELAJA:Govt Removes Principal, Deputy, Four Teachers For ‘assaulting’ Pupil (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Government Removes Principal, Deputy, Four Teachers For ‘assaulting’ Pupil by gbolakpine(m): 1:33pm On Mar 29, 2016
The Vice-Principal, Mrs Balogun and four teachers were yesterday removed by the government for alleged inhuman treatment of a Junior Secondary Two (JS II) pupil, Principal of Eva Adelaja Girls Secondary School in Bariga, Lagos, Mrs C. O. Coker.
The teachers are Mr Bello (Mathematics), Mrs Tejumaye (English language), Mrs Omoge (Physic Education) and Mr Bakare (Economics).

Their removal followed the investigation into the flogging of the pupil, Ogechi Anyalewechi, on March 16 by the teachers on the principal’s instruction. The 14-year-old pupil got into trouble after slapping back the Head Girl, who reported her to the school, Ogechi was flogged on her bare buttocks following an altercation with the school’s Head Girl. Besides being caned, Ogechi was made to cut grass for over four hours.

Lagos State Ministry of Education Permanent Secretary Mrs Olabisi Ariyo said they were removed because of their complicity in the “assault saga”, adding: They will no longer work in the school from Thursday, March 24 (today)”.

Ogechi suffered body wounds and was taken to Lagos State University Teaching Hospital (LASUTH), Ikeja.

When the incident became public, Commissioner for Youth and Social Development Princess Uzamat Akinbile-Yussuf directed the Directorate of School Social Services of her ministry to probe it.

A fact-finding team led by a director, which visited the school, on Tuesday, indicted the principal and the teachers.

Yesterday, Oghechi, her parents, the headgirl, the principal and the teachers appeared before a panel chaired by the ministry’s Permanent Secretary, Mr Hakeem Muri-Okunola. Mrs Ariyo was in attendance.

The head girl, it was learnt, confessed that she slapped Ogechi and apologised for her action.

According to Princess Akinbile-Yussuf, “the Director of the School Social Services on my instruction went to the school to carry out on the spot investigation following which all those involved including the principal, the head girl, Ogechi, her parents and Tutor-General of Education District 2, were on Wednesday March 23 (yesterday), invited before a panel chaired by Muri-Okunola and his education ministry counterpart, Mrs Ariyo was also there.

“The head girl confessed that she slapped Ogechi first and apologised to her for her improper behaviour. It was also confirmed that the principal subsequently instructed some teachers to give Ogechi about 12 strokes of the cane on her backside. The principal and teachers have since been removed and will now report at the Education District 2, while the assault victim and the erring head girl were appropriately counselled by the School Social Services Directorate on the proper way to conduct themselves in school.”

She added: “We have also instructed that the victim (Ogechi) should not be harassed or molested as she returns to the school to continue her studies and her parents were happy at the outcome of the intervention.

“However, the ministry shall henceforth step up the school social services to educate both students and teachers on the best conduct in school environment across all public schools in Lagos State.”

The Lagos State Government has launched an investigation into the assault of a school student at the Eva Adelaja Girls Secondary School in the Bariga area of the state. The 14-year-old pupil of the school, Ogechi Anyalewechi, was hospitalised after being flogged by the principal of the school and over five other teachers Took turns on her.

The victim was said to have been punished after a prefect of the school, identified only as Zainab, complained to the principal that Ogechi returned a slap she gave her for “being rude”. A teacher of the school, identified as Mr. Bello, was alleged to have told her to removed her tight (drawers) and flogged her on the buttocks.

Ogechi said,

“Last Wednesday, I got to school around 8am. I was asked to take some chairs from a class to a hall where a programme for principals and school teachers would hold later in the day. “The prefect challenged me for not participating, but I explained that I was waiting for my turn to carry the chairs.“She said I was rude to her and ordered me to kneel down. I refused and told her I was sick. She said if I didn’t obey her, she would slap me. I said I didn’t do anything wrong and she couldn’t slap me. She said if I repeated that she would do it, and I repeated it. “She slapped me and out of annoyance, I returned the slap. She then went to report to the principal.”

It was learnt that the principal, identified as Mrs. Coker, summoned Ogechi and ordered her to kneel down.
The victim alleged that after the principal slapped her four times, other teachers present took turns to assault her as well.

“They called the prefect and asked her to slap me in their presence and she did that four times. A teacher, Mr. Balogun, ordered me to remove my tight and he flogged me on the buttocks. “After this, I was asked to sit for my exam in the vice principal’s office. When I was done, the principal gave the VP a letter, saying I should be made to cut some grass afterwards.”

It was gathered that although school closed officially at 3pm, the 14-year-old did not return home till 5pm.

Ogechi said,

“I could not sleep at night. I was in pain and had to lie down on my stomach.” Her mother, Mrs. Esther Anyalewechi, said she reported the matter at the Bariga Police Station, adding that she was disappointed with the reaction of the principal. “She said my child would not become somebody in the future. I asked if she were a mother, would she allow anybody to treat her child that way. All I wanted was just an apology for the assault which landed my daughter in the hospital, but she refused,” she added.

The principal and vice principal of the school later went to the station. A police source at the station explained that a group of seven soldiers, led by a brigadier, who claimed to be the husband of the principal, stormed the station.
Photo shows teenage girl brutally beating by her Principal and various punishment were meted out to her by her teachers at school as well. The 14 year-old, Ogechi Blessing and a SS2 Pupil of Eva Adelaja Girls Secondary School at Bariga in Lagos State. This incident occurred on the 16th of March 2016. The perpetrators of this crime are. Photos after the cut.

I am writing to report the physical and emotional abuse to a girl child as a result of punishment meted out to her by her teachers at school .

She was made to strip off her shorts and canned on her bare buttocks and slapped severely by the principal and 5 other teachers because she returned the slap on her face from the head girl who slapped her first. The head girl then reported to the school authorities who in turn physically battered her and then made her cut grass for 4 hours under the sun.

Her name is Ogechi Blessing, she is 14 years old and a SS2 Pupil of Eva Adelaja Girls Secondary School at Bariga in Lagos State. This incident occurred on the 16th of March 2016. The perpetrators of this crime are

a. Mrs. C. O Coker (School Principal)
b. Mr. Bello (Maths Teacher)
c. Mr. Bakare (Economics Teacher)
d. Mrs. Tejumaye (English Teacher)
e. Mrs Omoge (Civic Education Teacher)
f. Mrs. Balogun (Vice Principal)

The Principal has refused to honor the request from the police officers at Bariga Police Station but instead brought soldiers to intimidate the officers investigating the case.

She has missed out on writing 4 exams since then.
Justice needs to be done for this inhumane act against the girl child.

http://www.kongegist.com/2016/03/government-removes-principal-deputy.html

Re: Government Removes Principal, Deputy, Four Teachers For ‘assaulting’ Pupil by IykeChukz(m): 1:35pm On Mar 29, 2016
Saying what?

What if those Biafrans were colonized by Nigeria, it would've been worse in this country...
Re: Government Removes Principal, Deputy, Four Teachers For ‘assaulting’ Pupil by ojnnaco(m): 1:39pm On Mar 29, 2016
I tire for this essay. most of this private schools end up employing untrained or half baked individuals in the name of teachers thereby causing all this sh*ts

(1) (Reply)

How To Convert Any Document To Pdf Without Uploading To A Website / Guidelines For Admission Into Tertiary Institution Of Nigeria - Dibu Ojerinde / Please Help My Waec Result Is Somehow

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.