Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,403 members, 7,853,784 topics. Date: Saturday, 08 June 2024 at 12:47 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (1135) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11889163 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1132) (1133) (1134) (1135) (1136) (1137) (1138) ... (16274) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by bigblangston: 8:26am On Jun 15, 2017
goldfish80:

Onazi was better than the other midfielders, he never lost a duel in that encounter. While Etebo had a poor game, Ndidi was the worst of them all.
Ndidi barely found the next man with his passes, in the 2nd half, he was in no man's land, I'm not sure he knew the role he was playing.
I guess, he escaped criticism because he plays in the Epl. Just like people were making excuses for Kelechi and Iwobi but the Nigerian psycho fans, would rather throw Moses Simon (who actually tried to make something happen) under the bus. If Moses Simon was playing for Watford, his efforts would have been more appreciated.
Hard truth, Goldfish... hard truth

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by sontoly: 9:56am On Jun 15, 2017
FC Utrecht Cyriel Who Contributed 42 Goals Last Season Opt For Nigeria Ahead Of Belgium.

FC Utrecht new signing Cyriel Dessers says he is willing to pledge his international future to Nigeria ahead of Belgium, Owngoalnigeria.com can exclusively reveal.
Dessers scored 29 goals and provided 13 assist last season for NAC Breda to fire them to promotion to the top league before moving to fellow top division side FC Utrecht.
His goal feat sparked an international tug of war between Nigeria and Belgium, as he qualifies for both nations thanks to his Nigerian mother Sophie and Flemish father Herwig.
He trained with the Belgium U-21 in 2015 but didn’t make his debut as he was an un-used substitute in their game against Moldova in the qualifiers for Euro 2015.
22 year old Dessers has however confirmed his willingness to dump Belgium for Nigeria, if he is called up by the coach of the senior national team of Nigeria Gernot Rohr.
” For now my concentration is on my new club FC Utrecht but if anything comes from the coach of Nigeria it would be nice. I have to be realistic, the competition in Belgium is very large with Romelu Lukaku, Micthy Bastshuayi, Divock Origi, Christian Benteke and now Dimata”, he said.
” They are still very young, around same age as me. In Nigeria there are top strikers as well but maybe there will be a spot for me in the team than in Belgium “.
Michael James

http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/06/15/fc-utrecht-cyriel-who-contributed-42-goals-last-season-opt-for-nigeria-ahead-of-belgium/#

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by sontoly: 9:59am On Jun 15, 2017
This guy Cyril doesn't have option than to play for Naija, cos there are many better players far ahead of him playing in Belgium.
this is an example of the case with the English Nigeria borns, England will always be their priority but when dey see that they can't make it, then they opt for their second choice.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 10:22am On Jun 15, 2017
goldfish80:

Onazi was better than the other midfielders, he never lost a duel in that encounter. While Etebo had a poor game, Ndidi was the worst of them all.
Ndidi barely found the next man with his passes, in the 2nd half, he was in no man's land, I'm not sure he knew the role he was playing.
I guess, he escaped criticism because he plays in the Epl. Just like people were making excuses for Kelechi and Iwobi, instead the Nigerian psycho fans would rather throw Moses Simon (who actually tried to make something happen) under the bus. If Moses Simon was playing for Watford, his efforts would have been more appreciated.

The selective criticism was unimaginable.

Hate, hate and favoritism. Not good at all. The credibility of some of our judgements here was tested. And o ........ Too bad.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 10:25am On Jun 15, 2017
goldfish80:

I guess, he escaped criticism because he plays in the Epl. Just like people were making excuses for Kelechi and Iwobi, instead the Nigerian psycho fans would rather throw Moses Simon (who actually tried to make something happen) under the bus. If Moses Simon was playing for Watford, his efforts would have been more appreciated.
I think people made their reasons of why we lost before the game even took place. There is no real analysis it's just let us keep blaming the guy we were blaming before.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by GoodBuhari: 10:36am On Jun 15, 2017
Icon4s:

Your first paragraph is just the summary of why our attack could not break down the SA defense.

For eg in that first half Iheanacho was practically kept off on several occasions. There were through balls from the midfield in that first half but they were either intercepted by their organized CB pairing or they kept Iheanacho off.

To rescue the situation, Iwobi had to play wide to pull usually two of the defenders to him. Expecting a disorganization of the CB pairing which could have given room for Iheanacho to operate. But his lack of athletism limited him to wide positions plus the SA defenders made sure he never made progress into the their 18yards box.

Etebo in an attempt to break the defence started making solo runs - what he is known for but his finishing touches let him down as he was always putting himself in a difficult position to aim at goal. Etebo's problem now I think is the 'Jack of all trade but master of none'. I think we need to define the role he will play for the national team and confine him to it. I recommend the CM. The role he played against Algeria.

Simon Moses has not improved a bit. He is not a starter IMO. He tried to use his skill and pace to outwit the SA defenders but his crosses were either not timely or too wide. At a point he was just playing crosses not directly targeting any player and expecting a miracle to happen.

Iheanacho was not much involved in the game. The major highlight I have of him was the pass he gave to Etebo that he missed. Secondly were the countless times he was caught in off side positions. The SA coach probably after seeing Iheanacho at City has understood that the only way to stop him from playing is not to allow the balls to get to him. We saw that happen several times at City this season. Iheanacho rides on the back of good Atracking midfield and wings play. He is still our most lethal finisher.

Kayode substituting Iheanacho was when the game ended for Nigeria.

Let me analyse Rohr's thinking before the substitution: We were on a 4-3-3 formation and under sparadic attacks from SA. Depleting the midfield further by removing either Iwobi or Simon would spell more doom. In the balance of play SA was having the upper hand in the midfield at that point in time. He left the two wingers and pulled out Iheanacho with the expectations that Kayode who is more of a natural striker than Iheanacho would have been able to use his pace and skills to outwit the SA defenders on a one on one basis. Alas it turned out that Rohr over estimated Kayode's abilities. At a time in the game I asked if Kayode was still on that field.

Musa's introduction was to introduce more direct play as Iwobi was practically kept wide and we made more incursion into the SA defense as he was even able to combine well on one or two occasions with Kayode. But the player to finish those moves was not there. Had Iheanacho been kept in the game.... who knows?

Osimhen, was the final trow of the die. We were 2-0 down already and so he just had to gamble by pulling out Simon. Osimhen made some good touches and edge of the box moves but not good enough to make anything happen.

Mikel and V. Moses would have obviously made the difference. What the SA defenders did was to keep Iwobi and Simon in wide positions something Moses would have been able to break with his dribbling skills, pace and direct play.
Mikel would have been able to break down the organised SA defense with his dribbling skills, ball holding and shielding abilities plus timely release of the ball for Iheanacho.

If it is doable I would have pleased with God to take Mikel's age back to at least 25!. We are not ready to move on without him.

All these wahala was bc we met a very organized defense.

Then also I think Rohr spent more time focusing on our strength and not much on SA's weaknesses while reverse was the case for SA.

I have the belief that we still qualify. We can also beat SA away.

I wish Ikeme, Balogun, Mikel And Moses quick recovery. They are the back bone of the team. August in not far away again.

GBAM
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by GoodBuhari: 10:37am On Jun 15, 2017
Icon4s:

Your first paragraph is just the summary of why our attack could not break down the SA defense.

For eg in that first half Iheanacho was practically kept off on several occasions. There were through balls from the midfield in that first half but they were either intercepted by their organized CB pairing or they kept Iheanacho off.

To rescue the situation, Iwobi had to play wide to pull usually two of the defenders to him. Expecting a disorganization of the CB pairing which could have given room for Iheanacho to operate. But his lack of athletism limited him to wide positions plus the SA defenders made sure he never made progress into the their 18yards box.

Etebo in an attempt to break the defence started making solo runs - what he is known for but his finishing touches let him down as he was always putting himself in a difficult position to aim at goal. Etebo's problem now I think is the 'Jack of all trade but master of none'. I think we need to define the role he will play for the national team and confine him to it. I recommend the CM. The role he played against Algeria.

Simon Moses has not improved a bit. He is not a starter IMO. He tried to use his skill and pace to outwit the SA defenders but his crosses were either not timely or too wide. At a point he was just playing crosses not directly targeting any player and expecting a miracle to happen.

Iheanacho was not much involved in the game. The major highlight I have of him was the pass he gave to Etebo that he missed. Secondly were the countless times he was caught in off side positions. The SA coach probably after seeing Iheanacho at City has understood that the only way to stop him from playing is not to allow the balls to get to him. We saw that happen several times at City this season. Iheanacho rides on the back of good Atracking midfield and wings play. He is still our most lethal finisher.

Kayode substituting Iheanacho was when the game ended for Nigeria.

Let me analyse Rohr's thinking before the substitution: We were on a 4-3-3 formation and under sparadic attacks from SA. Depleting the midfield further by removing either Iwobi or Simon would spell more doom. In the balance of play SA was having the upper hand in the midfield at that point in time. He left the two wingers and pulled out Iheanacho with the expectations that Kayode who is more of a natural striker than Iheanacho would have been able to use his pace and skills to outwit the SA defenders on a one on one basis. Alas it turned out that Rohr over estimated Kayode's abilities. At a time in the game I asked if Kayode was still on that field.

Musa's introduction was to introduce more direct play as Iwobi was practically kept wide and we made more incursion into the SA defense as he was even able to combine well on one or two occasions with Kayode. But the player to finish those moves was not there. Had Iheanacho been kept in the game.... who knows?

Osimhen, was the final trow of the die. We were 2-0 down already and so he just had to gamble by pulling out Simon. Osimhen made some good touches and edge of the box moves but not good enough to make anything happen.

Mikel and V. Moses would have obviously made the difference. What the SA defenders did was to keep Iwobi and Simon in wide positions something Moses would have been able to break with his dribbling skills, pace and direct play.
Mikel would have been able to break down the organised SA defense with his dribbling skills, ball holding and shielding abilities plus timely release of the ball for Iheanacho.

If it is doable I would have pleased with God to take Mikel's age back to at least 25!. We are not ready to move on without him.

All these wahala was bc we met a very organized defense.

Then also I think Rohr spent more time focusing on our strength and not much on SA's weaknesses while reverse was the case for SA.

I have the belief that we still qualify. We can also beat SA away.

I wish Ikeme, Balogun, Mikel And Moses quick recovery. They are the back bone of the team. August in not far away again.

"That is why you are called the Icon of experience"

Forgiveness what do you have to say

Besides, I just wonder the number of mentions you must have had yesterday.
Cc: TheSuperNerd, Safarigirl, Kog45, ......

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 10:39am On Jun 15, 2017
Nigeria: Why Bafana Loss Can Be a Luxury for Eagles

By Jide Alaka

Three days after, what is left is a dull pain in place of the thudding heart palpitation on Saturday. The memory of the 2-0 loss in Uyo is still very present with the goals flashing through our collective consciousness.

Particularly the first, by Tokelo Rantie, his third goal against Nigeria in just the 11 goals he has scored for his country. Does he just love playing Nigeria or is it the Godswill Akpabio Stadium pitch that he loves?

Gernot Rohr suffered his first loss as Super Eagles manager while the South Africans enjoyed a first-ever win over their Nigerian opponents since their first competitive matchup in 1992.

So what really happened to the very "young" Nigerian side? Is there a need to panic? We have heard the Minister called an emergency meeting of the Nigeria Football Federation [NFF] executive committee in Abuja on Monday to discuss the loss.
As much as it is worth, there is an interesting post by a former national team player, Adokiye Amiesimaka, who believes the goal posts have been moved on account of Rohr being a foreigner.

I would state the following things, which I believe, make this loss a luxury that can become a stepping stone.

Calls for Mikel's retirement will be cooled

It was unfortunate the substantive captain of the team, Mikel Obi, was unavailable but it was also fortunate for the former Chelsea midfielder as his worth definitely escalated with his absence. With no coordinating general in the middle of the park, the Eagles floundered when they were put under the pressure of giving up the first goal and were very exposed for the second.

We have no goalkeeper at the moment

This is not in any way blaming the two goals conceded last Saturday on Daniel Akpeyi - it just subsists that the Chippa United goaltender has not been one to elicit much confidence. Though it has to be said - to his credit that he is a good shot-stopper, his clout and knowledge of the game do nothing to help his defenders.

Iheanacho cannot perform alone in a 4-3-3

It was plain for all to see that Kelechi Iheanacho will not succeed as a lone striker - that is why Pep Guardiola is willing to listen to offers for him. He is not very fast and gets isolated easily upfront. Though the former U-17 World Cup winner is very good in combination play, his ability to play with his back to goal has never been his strongest point.
The core players need more playing time

Bafana Bafana especially cruelly exposed the rustiness in the games of both Alex Iwobi and Iheanacho especially. There was no rhythm to their game as their lack of game time towards the end of the season came to the fore. The best thing for Rohr and the Eagles would be for his core players to play week in, week out for their respective clubs.

So many gaps for Rohr to plug

Stuart Baxter explained his game tactics in the post-match press conference and it was very simple - let the Nigerians have the ball and in the second half, the team moved five metres forward and that was the end of the domination enjoyed by the home team. Itumeleng Khune, in goal for Bafana Bafana, was not put under any pressure despite the 10 corner kicks the Eagles won.

Why have the goal posts been moved?

Amiesimaka wrote on Facebook, "Since Nigeria lost 2-0 at home in Uyo to South Africa this evening (for the first time in a competitive encounter), I've heard too many Nigerians request that the Rohr-led technical crew should be absolved from blame, noting how the game can be unpredictable, etc.

"Let me reiterate that Nigeria never lost to South Africa, home or away, in a competitive match under an indigenous coach!
"Would the narrative not have been different had a Nigerian been in Rohr's shoes today?

"Imagine for a moment that it was our own Christian Chukwu, or, the late Amodu Shuaibu, or, the late Stephen Keshi...

"No doubt, allegations of 'technical incompetence', 'inability to read a match', etc., would have been made against him, with very loud calls for "the infallible white man" to take over."

Why is the NFF apologizing?

Ahmed Fresh Yusuf, an NFF executive board member, wrote on Twitter, "Crucial matches ahead of @NGSuperEagles, the @BafanaBafana game has opened our eyes to our flaws. We apologized for the poor result. Thanks!

"This is the moment we should all support @NGSuperEagles. Enough of the blame game; let's help the team focus ahead of the Cameron game." But really, why is the NFF apologizing for a loss? No football team no matter how good is mandated to go unbeaten in any tournament or league - defeat is all part of the game. What they should be apologizing for is the non-explanation of missing balls and other issues - not losing a game!

We heard that the NFF did not have $250 to clear the balls sent by CAF, which meant the players never trained with the official match balls until Saturday. But just like other misdemeanours in the past, we are almost sure nobody will be held responsible for that mishap.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 10:43am On Jun 15, 2017
sontoly:
FC Utrecht Cyriel Who Contributed 42 Goals Last Season Opt For Nigeria Ahead Of Belgium.

FC Utrecht new signing Cyriel Dessers says he is willing to pledge his international future to Nigeria ahead of Belgium, Owngoalnigeria.com can exclusively reveal.
Dessers scored 29 goals and provided 13 assist last season for NAC Breda to fire them to promotion to the top league before moving to fellow top division side FC Utrecht.
His goal feat sparked an international tug of war between Nigeria and Belgium, as he qualifies for both nations thanks to his Nigerian mother Sophie and Flemish father Herwig.
He trained with the Belgium U-21 in 2015 but didn’t make his debut as he was an un-used substitute in their game against Moldova in the qualifiers for Euro 2015.
22 year old Dessers has however confirmed his willingness to dump Belgium for Nigeria, if he is called up by the coach of the senior national team of Nigeria Gernot Rohr.
” For now my concentration is on my new club FC Utrecht but if anything comes from the coach of Nigeria it would be nice. I have to be realistic, the competition in Belgium is very large with Romelu Lukaku, Micthy Bastshuayi, Divock Origi, Christian Benteke and now Dimata”, he said.
” They are still very young, around same age as me. In Nigeria there are top strikers as well but maybe there will be a spot for me in the team than in Belgium “.
Michael James

http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/06/15/fc-utrecht-cyriel-who-contributed-42-goals-last-season-opt-for-nigeria-ahead-of-belgium/#

Good boy!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 10:43am On Jun 15, 2017
Super Eagles midfielder still very passionate about Nigeria despite Rohr’s snub

Super Eagles midfielder John Ogu is very much still passionate about Nigeria despite his disappointment in not featuring in the 2-0 loss to South Africa.

Nigeria lost 2-0 at home to South Africa on Saturday, June 10 in a 2019 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON).

Although he was in the squad for that game, Ogu was left on the bench throughout by Super Eagles coach Gernot Rohr.
During and after the game, the midfielder was pinpointed by critics and fans as the player who could have changed the game for the Super Eagles.

Reacting to a similar sentiment on Twitter, the 29-year-old says he’s ready to sweat out blood for his country.

"All I just want to do is sweat out blood for my Nation just like I do for my club. I'm incomplete if I don't do same for my country,” the midfielder said.

The Hapoel Be'er Sheva midfielder has already set his sights on next season. He put up a photo of himself training with the caption; “Looking forward to the New season. Gods plans are always the best!!!

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 10:46am On Jun 15, 2017
Why I didn’t show up after Super Eagles invitation – Roma’s Nura Abdullahi

By Ifreke Inyang on June 15, 2017@dailypostngr

Nura Abdullahi who plays for AS Roma in Italy, has given his reasons for not joining up with the Super Eagles in London two months ago.

The 19-year-old was called up by coach Gernot Rohr, for the friendly game against Senegal in London.

However, Nura claims he suffered an injury setback, which made his club turn down the invitation so he can focus on his rehabilitation.

“I was called up for the game against Senegal in London, contact was made between my club and the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF), but I suffered a set back in my return from injury. Hence I couldn’t honour the call up,” Nura told popular journalist Mohammed Suleiman.

“I’m still not full ‎fit that is why I didn’t take part in the exhibition game organised by Moses Simon in Kaduna, I still have some gym session left before I will be given the all clear to return to training.”

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 10:47am On Jun 15, 2017
Super Eagles to recall Mikel, China-based strikers

By Christian Okpara | 15 June 2017 | 4:15 am

NFF to start scrutinising team’s activities
Super Eagles’ Manager, Gernot Rohr, is hoping that the team’s captain, John Obi Mikel would have recovered fully from the injury that kept him out of the AFCON qualifier against South Africa before the country’s Russia 2018 World Cup eliminator against Cameroon in August.

The German is also planning to recall China-based Odion Ighalo and Brown Ideye to the beef up the team’s attack, which was non-existent in the second half of the game against South Africa.

A Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) source told The Guardian that Rohr has admitted that he missed forceful strikers in the game against South Africa, adding that the team lacked a leader when things became tough in the course of the match.
He also revealed that the NFF board would review the recommendations of the technical committee to know areas and what to do to make the team strong enough to beat Cameroon in Uyo on August 28.

Chairman of the NFF technical committee, Chris Green revealed yesterday that the federation has resolved to employ everything at its disposal to ensure Nigeria maintained its position atop Group B of the Russia 2018 World Cup qualifying series.

Green, whose committee had an emergency meeting with Rohr in Abuja on Tuesday, told a local website that the German had enjoyed no technical interference since he took charge of the Super Eagles in August 2016, adding that the technical committee will now scrutinise all his activities henceforth.

“After reviewing everything that happened on and before the match against South Africa we came to the conclusion that certain things must change for us to achieve our aim of qualifying for Russia 2018.

“We called for the establishment of the scouting unit in the technical department and that henceforth, we should have a pre-knowledge of players invited before sending to the public.

“The technical adviser must appear at a press conference where such list will be announced to the public and questions will be asked as regards the list. And there must be a good synergy between the technical crew and technical department cum the committee.”

He revealed that the meeting agreed that only players, who feature regularly for their clubs would henceforth make the list for any match, adding, “we will deploy a psychologist to the team. We believe the players need to be psyched up for matches as we will face Cameroon which will be a very tough game.”
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 10:51am On Jun 15, 2017
I feel the NFF really should be hiding their heads in shame. Playing a match like this with borrowed balls is inexcusable.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 10:57am On Jun 15, 2017
GoodBuhari:

"That is why you are called the Icon of experience"

Forgiveness what do you have to say

Besides, I just wonder the number of mentions you must have had yesterday.
Cc: TheSuperNerd, Safarigirl, Kog45, ......

Just scroll down a little then you will see my rebuttal. grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by zicky(m): 10:59am On Jun 15, 2017
BascoVanVeli:

What does Onazi have to do with Alhassan Ibrahim? I just see that u are taking the easy way out. Ndidi barely completed a pass and had trouble trapping the ball. Etebo brought zero creativity into the match. Onazi was not perfect but anyone who gives him the brunt of the blame either doesn't know football or is being sentimental.
The captain and most experience player in a 3-man midfield and you say he should not be blamean he could not do a simple job I.e organise the midfield.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 11:01am On Jun 15, 2017
BascoVanVeli:

By Jide Alaka

Three days after, what is left is a dull pain in place of the thudding heart palpitation on Saturday. The memory of the 2-0 loss in Uyo is still very present with the goals flashing through our collective consciousness.

Particularly the first, by Tokelo Rantie, his third goal against Nigeria in just the 11 goals he has scored for his country. Does he just love playing Nigeria or is it the Godswill Akpabio Stadium pitch that he loves?

Gernot Rohr suffered his first loss as Super Eagles manager while the South Africans enjoyed a first-ever win over their Nigerian opponents since their first competitive matchup in 1992.

So what really happened to the very "young" Nigerian side? Is there a need to panic? We have heard the Minister called an emergency meeting of the Nigeria Football Federation [NFF] executive committee in Abuja on Monday to discuss the loss.
As much as it is worth, there is an interesting post by a former national team player, Adokiye Amiesimaka, who believes the goal posts have been moved on account of Rohr being a foreigner.

I would state the following things, which I believe, make this loss a luxury that can become a stepping stone.

It was unfortunate the substantive captain of the team, Mikel Obi, was unavailable but it was also fortunate for the former Chelsea midfielder as his worth definitely escalated with his absence. With no coordinating general in the middle of the park, the Eagles floundered when they were put under the pressure of giving up the first goal and were very exposed for the second.

This is not in any way blaming the two goals conceded last Saturday on Daniel Akpeyi - it just subsists that the Chippa United goaltender has not been one to elicit much confidence. Though it has to be said - to his credit that he is a good shot-stopper, his clout and knowledge of the game do nothing to help his defenders.

It was plain for all to see that Kelechi Iheanacho will not succeed as a lone striker - that is why Pep Guardiola is willing to listen to offers for him. He is not very fast and gets isolated easily upfront. Though the former U-17 World Cup winner is very good in combination play, his ability to play with his back to goal has never been his strongest point.

Bafana Bafana especially cruelly exposed the rustiness in the games of both Alex Iwobi and Iheanacho especially. There was no rhythm to their game as their lack of game time towards the end of the season came to the fore. The best thing for Rohr and the Eagles would be for his core players to play week in, week out for their respective clubs.

Stuart Baxter explained his game tactics in the post-match press conference and it was very simple - let the Nigerians have the ball and in the second half, the team moved five metres forward and that was the end of the domination enjoyed by the home team. Itumeleng Khune, in goal for Bafana Bafana, was not put under any pressure despite the 10 corner kicks the Eagles won.

Amiesimaka wrote on Facebook, "Since Nigeria lost 2-0 at home in Uyo to South Africa this evening (for the first time in a competitive encounter), I've heard too many Nigerians request that the Rohr-led technical crew should be absolved from blame, noting how the game can be unpredictable, etc.

"Let me reiterate that Nigeria never lost to South Africa, home or away, in a competitive match under an indigenous coach!
"Would the narrative not have been different had a Nigerian been in Rohr's shoes today?

"Imagine for a moment that it was our own Christian Chukwu, or, the late Amodu Shuaibu, or, the late Stephen Keshi...

"No doubt, allegations of 'technical incompetence', 'inability to read a match', etc., would have been made against him, with very loud calls for "the infallible white man" to take over."

Ahmed Fresh Yusuf, an NFF executive board member, wrote on Twitter, "Crucial matches ahead of @NGSuperEagles, the @BafanaBafana game has opened our eyes to our flaws. We apologized for the poor result. Thanks!

"This is the moment we should all support @NGSuperEagles. Enough of the blame game; let's help the team focus ahead of the Cameron game." But really, why is the NFF apologizing for a loss? No football team no matter how good is mandated to go unbeaten in any tournament or league - defeat is all part of the game. What they should be apologizing for is the non-explanation of missing balls and other issues - not losing a game!

We heard that the NFF did not have $250 to clear the balls sent by CAF, which meant the players never trained with the official match balls until Saturday. But just like other misdemeanours in the past, we are almost sure nobody will be held responsible for that mishap.

Wow! Excellent analysis from an icon of the game.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 11:02am On Jun 15, 2017
zicky:
The captain and most experience player in a 3-man midfield and you say he should not be blamean he could not do a simple job I.e organise the midfield.

This is just comical. So u are blaming Onazi for the other midfielders not playing well? We should also blame him when they don't tie their shoe lace correctly.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 11:31am On Jun 15, 2017
BascoVanVeli:

By Jide Alaka

Another death sentence on Kelechi starting as a lone striker. Funny how people suddenly realised this. Probably because we resoundingly lost to South Africa. Against Algeria, he put up exactly the same display as witnessed on Saturday but he got away from much scrutiny thanks to Moses and the fortuitous Mikel Obi goal.
Had we lost that game, Kelechi's poor performance would have been amplified.

I recall pointing this out in the Algerian game review but instead, his defenders told us how much he was running around and pressing every Algerian player in Uyo.

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by zicky(m): 11:34am On Jun 15, 2017
BascoVanVeli:

This is just comical. So u are blaming Onazi for the other midfielders not playing well? We should also blame him when they don't tie their shoe lace correctly.
did Onazi play any better than the other two guyz, No. He can't claim to be an experience player without any visible evidence on the pitch
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 11:46am On Jun 15, 2017
zicky:
did Onazi play any better than the other two guyz, No. He can't claim to be an experience player without any visible evidence on the pitch

Wow so u mean for ur mind Ndidi and Etebo had a good game?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 11:48am On Jun 15, 2017
Nigeria to move venue, date for WCQ

2:42 AM PT
Colin Udoh, KweséESPN

Nigeria are considering a change to both the date and venue for their 2019 World Cup qualifier against Cameroon, originally scheduled for the Godswill Akpabio Stadium Uyo in August.

Top NFF sources informed KweseESPN that the match could now be played on 1 September, rather than the initial scheduled date of 28 August.

One reason, according to multiple sources within the NFF, is to allow coach Gernot Rohr a little more training time with his squad.

With the change in date also comes a change in venue, with Uyo on the verge of being discarded.

Officials say the Yakubu Gowon Stadium in Port Harcourt is top on the list of replacement venues, with the National Stadium Abuja as a fallback option.

The pitch in Abuja has fallen into disrepair, but repair work is already going on with Lansard Ltd doing clean up while waiting for major rejuvenation for the now patchwork grass.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 11:51am On Jun 15, 2017
5 Players Nigeria' Super Eagles need back against Cameroon

Colin Udoh, KweséESPN

As was to be expected, the slipstream trailing Nigeria's 2019 Africa Cup of Nations qualifying loss to South Africa continues to flow days later, and shows no signs of abating.

At least, not until the next game ...

Crisis meetings have been called by both the NFF and Sports Minister Solomon Dalung in a bid to decipher what went wrong against Bafana Bafana in Uyo on the weekend.

In the meantime, here are five players that Nigeria coach Gernot Rohr needs to have back for the 2018 World Cup qualifier double-header against Cameroon in August and September.

LEON 'TERMINATOR' BALOGUN
A beast in defence, Balogun not only has the intelligence to read plays, but the legs and lungs to hunt things down and terminate them either before they start, or at the point of danger. With him in the game, the probability is high that Nigeria would not have conceded the first of two goals against Bafana Bafana, and it is doubtful the Super Eagles would have suffered the breakdown that led to the second.

Here is why: either William Troost-Ekong or Balogun is normally designated to attack set-pieces in the opposition box, while the other stays home. In Saturday's game, the defensive midfielder (Ogenyi Onazi) and one other defender (Shehu on this occasion) stayed back to defend against breakaways and somehow lost their man. If Balogun was in the team, either he or Ekong would have remained, and Percy Tau would not have had the time and space he got to race away and score.

If Balogun gets fit, and stays fit till that Cameroon game, that defence will perk up considerably.

JOHN OBI MIKEL
Many have spent much of Mikel's international career defending his immense importance to the Nigeria team when many were questioning what value he adds. Now it is obvious for all to see.

Mikel is no flashy Austin Okocha-style number 10. What he gives is a world-class ability to control the midfield with calm efficiency and direct play at his own pace, forcing both his teammates and opponents to play the game his way. More like an Andrea Pirlo, Michael Carrick and Paul Scholes combo in one.

His reading of the game and the way he breaks up play is second to none, and his passing (in range and accuracy) is almost peerless in Africa. Deployed in a free, albeit advanced role, for Nigeria he has recently added the odd goal to his toolkit, as he showed against Algeria.

With him in the team, Nigeria would have found the solution to open up the narrow Bafana tactics, Iheanacho would have had chances, and every single player on the team would have a calm, controlled and available outlet under pressure.

Mikel's rehabilitation is going swimmingly and he should be ready for Cameroon.

VICTOR MOSES
The Chelsea star has the ability to open up the tightest of defences, especially from wide, or to arrive at the right time inside the box for a simple finish. With him out wide, the Super Eagles could probably have scored one of those first half chances they created.

Victor Moses is always a dangerous attacking winger for Nigeria and is also great at tracking back to support his fullback, a lapse that cost the Eagles the first goal, when both the left-back and wide forward pinched in, leaving defensive midfielder Onazi as the man to try to stop the cross that led to the goal.

Hopefully Moses recovers on time from his toe surgery to bring the cutting edge back in September.

ODION IGHALO/BROWN IDEYE
Now this is a choice that Rohr will not like because he is all about building a team of young players. But looking at Saturday's game, Nigeria needed an old-fashioned centre-forward who could have given the South African centre-backs more than enough to think about.

They needed someone who could have knocked down balls and held up play for arriving midfielders or wide forwards. It is hard to recall Iheanacho winning one aerial battle, even though his hold-up play was of a generally decent level. At least one of these two are desperately needed in the team at any point in time.

Rohr, who does not appear to rate players playing in China - except for Mikel - would do well to get one of these in when he names his squad for Cameroon.

VINCENT ENYEAMA
This chap needs to come back ASAP. Rohr has spoken to him, communicates with him regularly, and is hoping he will change his mind about not playing for the Super Eagles. KweséESPN understands from sources close to the player that he is mulling over the situation.

His presence, organization and stability he brings to the back - not to mention his quality goalkeeping in one-vs-one situations - will greatly help an inexperienced backline. In the absence of Balogun or a competent defender, Enyeama would have attacked that ball before Tokelo Rantie got to it and that first goal could have been avoided.

For the second, Enyeama would have called Shehu and Onazi to watch Tau on that breakaway and would have been quick off his line to meet him halfway to stop the ball. In any case, whenever the Super Eagles attack, Enyeama is always outside his box. He probably would have got to that ball before Tau.

The Lille goalkeeper is still in great form, and only missed two games of the French Ligue 1 season with injury. His return would not only provide a confidence boost for the squad, but would mean that Carl Ikeme's injuries would not be cause for hair-tearing. Until he decides whether he wants to return or not, Nigeria will just have to hope that Ikeme is fit for Cameroon.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 12:00pm On Jun 15, 2017
Icon4s:

The selective criticism was unimaginable.

Hate, hate and favoritism. Not good at all. The credibility of some of our judgements here was tested. And o ........ Too bad.
Honestly this thread is losing it.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 12:13pm On Jun 15, 2017
Kog45:
Honestly this thread is losing it.

Some people defend some players here as though they have been employed as their Attorneys.

They are all Nigerians.

Having likes for some and hatred on others is totally uncalled for.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:53pm On Jun 15, 2017
BascoVanVeli:

I think people made their reasons of why we lost before the game even took place. There is no real analysis it's just let us keep blaming the guy we were blaming before.

Do your self a favor and watch the game. Tell me Onazi did not give forward passes and none of them was accurate.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:54pm On Jun 15, 2017
Icon4s:

Some people defend some players here as though they have been employed as their Attorneys.

They are all Nigerians.

Having likes for some and hatred on others is totally uncalled for.

Some people bash players even when they are not as fault as if they are prosecuting attorneys.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 12:54pm On Jun 15, 2017
BascoVanVeli:

Colin Udoh, KweséESPN

As was to be expected, the slipstream trailing Nigeria's 2019 Africa Cup of Nations qualifying loss to South Africa continues to flow days later, and shows no signs of abating.

Crisis meetings have been called by both the NFF and Sports Minister Solomon Dalung in a bid to decipher what went wrong against Bafana Bafana in Uyo on the weekend.

In the meantime, here are five players that Nigeria coach Gernot Rohr needs to have back for the 2018 World Cup qualifier double-header against Cameroon in August and September.

A beast in defence, Balogun not only has the intelligence to read plays, but the legs and lungs to hunt things down and terminate them either before they start, or at the point of danger. With him in the game, the probability is high that Nigeria would not have conceded the first of two goals against Bafana Bafana, and it is doubtful the Super Eagles would have suffered the breakdown that led to the second.

Here is why: either William Troost-Ekong or Balogun is normally designated to attack set-pieces in the opposition box, while the other stays home. In Saturday's game, the defensive midfielder (Ogenyi Onazi) and one other defender (Shehu on this occasion) stayed back to defend against breakaways and somehow lost their man. If Balogun was in the team, either he or Ekong would have remained, and Percy Tau would not have had the time and space he got to race away and score.

If Balogun gets fit, and stays fit till that Cameroon game, that defence will perk up considerably.

JOHN OBI MIKEL
Many have spent much of Mikel's international career defending his immense importance to the Nigeria team when many were questioning what value he adds. Now it is obvious for all to see.

Mikel is no flashy Austin Okocha-style number 10. What he gives is a world-class ability to control the midfield with calm efficiency and direct play at his own pace, forcing both his teammates and opponents to play the game his way. More like an Andrea Pirlo, Michael Carrick and Paul Scholes combo in one.

His reading of the game and the way he breaks up play is second to none, and his passing (in range and accuracy) is almost peerless in Africa. Deployed in a free, albeit advanced role, for Nigeria he has recently added the odd goal to his toolkit, as he showed against Algeria.

With him in the team, Nigeria would have found the solution to open up the narrow Bafana tactics, Iheanacho would have had chances, and every single player on the team would have a calm, controlled and available outlet under pressure.

VICTOR MOSES
The Chelsea star has the ability to open up the tightest of defences, especially from wide, or to arrive at the right time inside the box for a simple finish. With him out wide, the Super Eagles could probably have scored one of those first half chances they created.

Victor Moses is always a dangerous attacking winger for Nigeria and is also great at tracking back to support his fullback, a lapse that cost the Eagles the first goal, when both the left-back and wide forward pinched in, leaving defensive midfielder Onazi as the man to try to stop the cross that led to the goal.

Hopefully Moses recovers on time from his toe surgery to bring the cutting edge back in September.

ODION IGHALO/BROWN IDEYE
Now this is a choice that Rohr will not like because he is all about building a team of young players. But looking at Saturday's game, Nigeria needed an old-fashioned centre-forward who could have given the South African centre-backs more than enough to think about.

They needed someone who could have knocked down balls and held up play for arriving midfielders or wide forwards. It is hard to recall Iheanacho winning one aerial battle, even though his hold-up play was of a generally decent level. At least one of these two are desperately needed in the team at any point in time.

Rohr, who does not appear to rate players playing in China - except for Mikel - would do well to get one of these in when he names his squad for Cameroon.

VINCENT ENYEAMA
This chap needs to come back ASAP. Rohr has spoken to him, communicates with him regularly, and is hoping he will change his mind about not playing for the Super Eagles. KweséESPN understands from sources close to the player that he is mulling over the situation.

His presence, organization and stability he brings to the back - not to mention his quality goalkeeping in one-vs-one situations - will greatly help an inexperienced backline. In the absence of Balogun or a competent defender, Enyeama would have attacked that ball before Tokelo Rantie got to it and that first goal could have been avoided.

For the second, Enyeama would have called Shehu and Onazi to watch Tau on that breakaway and would have been quick off his line to meet him halfway to stop the ball. In any case, whenever the Super Eagles attack, Enyeama is always outside his box. He probably would have got to that ball before Tau.

The Lille goalkeeper is still in great form, and only missed two games of the French Ligue 1 season with injury. His return would not only provide a confidence boost for the squad, but would mean that Carl Ikeme's injuries would not be cause for hair-tearing. Until he decides whether he wants to return or not, Nigeria will just have to hope that Ikeme is fit for Cameroon.

Including Aluko, Ogu and Martins. grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 12:58pm On Jun 15, 2017
Again there is NOTHING the Nigerian government protects like an egg. Nothing that can be a national pride. Even the new stadium in Abuja have to be revisited for repair. Why can't it be kept as a thing of pride always?

BascoVanVeli:
Nigeria to move venue, date for WCQ

2:42 AM PT
Colin Udoh, KweséESPN

Nigeria are considering a change to both the date and venue for their 2019 World Cup qualifier against Cameroon, originally scheduled for the Godswill Akpabio Stadium Uyo in August.

Top NFF sources informed KweseESPN that the match could now be played on 1 September, rather than the initial scheduled date of 28 August.

One reason, according to multiple sources within the NFF, is to allow coach Gernot Rohr a little more training time with his squad.

With the change in date also comes a change in venue, with Uyo on the verge of being discarded.

Officials say the Yakubu Gowon Stadium in Port Harcourt is top on the list of replacement venues, with the National Stadium Abuja as a fallback option.

The pitch in Abuja has fallen into disrepair, but repair work is already going on with Lansard Ltd doing clean up while waiting for major rejuvenation for the now patchwork grass.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 1:03pm On Jun 15, 2017
Allnigeriasoccer.com broke the news that the Royal Belgian Football Association and the Nigerian Federation are set to battle over the international future of prolific FC Utrecht striker Cyriel Dessers.
The Belgians made the first effort to persuade him to commit his future to the country, having invited him to their U21 team two years ago, and Dessers has explained why he couldn't make his competitive debut against Moldova.
''I have been invited only to the Belgium U21 team, it was a big team with players like Dennis Praet (Sampdoria), Tielemans (Monaco), Dendoncker (Anderlecht), Musonda (Chelsea) and Kayembe (Porto), '' Dessers told
allnigeriasoccer.com .
When the 22-year-old was put on the spot and asked to clarify where his international future lies, he stressed that he won't reject a call-up to the Super Eagles, adding that his parents would be immensely proud of that decision.
''At first I need to prove myself with Utrecht in Eredivisie and Europa League, but it would be a huge honour to play for Nigeria.
''I have not been contacted by the Nigerian Federation but that's normal if you look at the strikers now. But maybe if I keep developing and performing there will come an opportunity one day.
''Of course, my mom and dad would be very proud if I could play for Nigeria.
''As a kid I was a fan of Okocha and Kanu, but there are a lot of good strikers in the past and now.''
The Nigeria Football Federation and coaching staff are known to scouring Europe for a genuine number nine, and Cyriel Dessers has proven himself to be a top marksman with 29 goals scored in the league last season, including a hat-trick against Taiwo Awoniyi's NEC Nijmegen in the promotion/relegation playoffs.
Ifeanyi Emmanuel

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 1:03pm On Jun 15, 2017
cry cry cry cry Maka why? See Aluko's response below that emphasized on the nepotism in the National team during the Nigerian coaches and Rohr eras. cry

NFF Close In On Two Out Of Six Nigerian Players In England WYC Winning Team
June 13, 2017 Nigeria

IMG_3074
A top source in the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) has confirmed to Owngoalnigeria.com that the football house has started talks with two out of the six players that helped England win the U-20 World Youth Championship.

England won the recently U-20 World Youth Championship with six players of Nigerian descent namely Josh Onomah, Fikayo Tomori, Ovie Ejaria, Seyi Ojo, Dominic Solanke and Ademola Lookman.

While it appears the NFF have given up on luring four of the six players to switch allegiance to Nigeria, they have however received positive response from two of the aforementioned players.

” For now we stand a bright chance of having Ejaria and Tomori, we have approached them in the past and discussions went smooth. Infact Ejaria almost made our U-17 team few years ago, so no problem about his case”, he told Owngoalnigeria.com.

” As for the rest we have been told by the parents of Solanke, Ojo and Lookman that their ward will like to continue their progress through the ranks with England, we have to respect that wish but we told them our doors are forever open to them because there’s no place like home”.

http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/06/13/nff-close-in-on-two-out-of-six-nigerian-players-in-england-wyc-winning-team/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 1:03pm On Jun 15, 2017
BascoVanVeli:

Colin Udoh, KweséESPN

JOHN OBI MIKEL

VICTOR MOSES

ODION IGHALO/BROWN IDEYE

VINCENT ENYEAMA

Come on Collin. The old Center forward. Really? We have seen teams do well without the old center forward style of play and maybe you are yet to notice that playing an old center forward requires a team reducing building from the back and relying on long balls.

That is defending deep and lounging the ball to a huge man to hold and distribute it.

This is more of a call in change of style and the question is that, are you sure the Ideye and Ighalo can offer more than we have at our disposal?

If that is the case, bring them to camp, screen and drill. If they come up tops, they have my nod but if they do not beat Osimhen in camp, it is a disservice to ourselves dropping a promising youngster with huge talent and better quality for old legs.

The press have destroyed a lot of progress in Nigerian football with their rigorous calls for old legs and shortsightedness. Rohr has moved the team forward in a short time. Give the man time to work before tearing down his structure.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 1:05pm On Jun 15, 2017
” As for the rest we have been told by the parents of Solanke, Ojo and Lookman that their ward will like to continue their progress through the ranks with England, we have to respect that wish but we told them our doors are forever open to them because there’s no place like home”.

I am sick of this ridiculousness. We need those who are sincerely ready to play for us and not those we need to beg to play for us.

(1) (2) (3) ... (1132) (1133) (1134) (1135) (1136) (1137) (1138) ... (16274) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Towbaba500(m), comodo, Zellas, dkay51(m) and 9 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 202
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.