Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,515 members, 7,770,315 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 09:03 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11261087 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15994) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 4:55pm On Mar 30, 2016
Icon4s:

You forgot into invite co-parliamentarians here. Not sure they are aware of this thread yet.

Was waiting for approval from you all.

Am still compiling the names Sir, whey they are ready, I would gladly do that.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 5:09pm On Mar 30, 2016
blueto:
undecided what is the logics behind deviating from the former thread instead of just modifying its topic to correspond with the world cup trend?.

I attempted doing that, but could not. It must have made front pahe which is why I can't modify it. I don't know if the Mods can.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 5:20pm On Mar 30, 2016
Reactions to Echiejile's performance against Egypt.

Schillachi

See UWA(Echiejile).. the lowest IQ footballer I know..

Damunk

I feel you.
I dont see why we wasted a sub on Amuzie....unless he was injured!!!!

airwolex

Echijile is finished!!

metalalloy

Uwa(Echiejile) is not an international class footballer. I'm sorry to say that. How dont we have a competent LB?

bushboy

Elderson is garbage.

Waffiman

Why was he(Echiejile) called up? The whole thing stinks.

http://forum.cybereagles.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=270425
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 5:24pm On Mar 30, 2016
I wonder who are those writing these articles about Coach Siasia making the right change by subbing Amuzie. That was the wrong change. Echiejile did not do better. So why make the change.

We needed creativity up front and two of our best creative forwards were on the bench. Coach Siasia wasted it by changing Amuzie for Echiejile.

That was why we could only bring in Iwobi. Iheanacho should have come in for Ighalo or Aminu. Instead of changing Amuzie.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 5:25pm On Mar 30, 2016
terzurum5:

I attemted doing that but could not. It must have made front which is why I can't modify it. I don't know if the Mods can.
I am skeptical of it being featured on front page. I had a similar experience like this on 2015/2016 UNIBEN thread. It seems the Mods normally claims the purview to modify a thread's topic when the thread will be trending for a very long duration.

Anyway, No Qualms smiley .

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Karlovich: 8:55pm On Mar 30, 2016
Nigerian coaches have always had ego problems since the time of that old man that took rubbish players to the 2002 world cup, to christian chukwu and so on. They always call up players they plan to sell. The mere thought of siasia leaving out an in form balogun initially for those useless brick layers that call themselves defenders tells u all u need to know about nigerian coaches. At the same time nff can't afford to get a quality foreign coach for the eagles. I watched the highlights of their game in egypt and I could deduce that nigeria had no attacking midfielder in that game until iwobi came on. Both mikel and etebo were in DM position and moses was at LW occassionally drifting to the centre of midfield. Again the coaches should stop all the experiments with local based players I believe they have their own competition and besides all they care about is securing more lucrative contracts outside nigeria. There should be proper scouting for players. Moses odubajo of hull city would have done better than that right back against egypt, otigba is also playing regularly for his clubside in the dutch league as opposed to efe ambrose who hardly plays for celtic. Likewise for other positions there needs to be call up for individuals who play regularly at the highest level for their clubsides, hopefully siasia will learn from this.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 9:25pm On Mar 30, 2016
Walks in..
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 9:26pm On Mar 30, 2016
The draw for the final round of African World Cup qualifiers takes place on June 20, at CAF HQ in Cairo, Egypt.
Hopefully, the SE can stop one of Cape Verde, Ghana, Côte d'Ivoire, Algeria and Egypt from advancing to the mundial.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 9:42pm On Mar 30, 2016
It's so inevitable. We must play one of these top-ranked African teams and I sincerely hope it's not Algeria.

I don't care if we play the others.

With the right selection of players and a good coach to lead them, we can make the mundial. It's really crunch time
in the Eagles' darkest days.

CFCman:
The draw for the final round of African World Cup qualifiers takes place on June 20, at CAF HQ in Cairo, Egypt.
Hopefully, the SE can stop one of Cape Verde, Ghana, Côte d'Ivoire, Algeria and Egypt from advancing to the mundial.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by achimotan(m): 9:43pm On Mar 30, 2016
CFCman:

Hopefully, u will be grouped with Cape Verde. If you find yourself with the rest, hmmm. No comment for now
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by robosky02(m): 9:46pm On Mar 30, 2016
TheSuperNerd:
It's so inevitable. We must play one of these top-ranked African teams and I sincerely hope it's not Algeria.

I don't care if we play the others.

With the right selection of players and a good coach to lead them, we can make the mundial. It's really crunch time
in the Eagles' darkest days.

then bring on egypt let's settle the scores once and for all
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 9:46pm On Mar 30, 2016
I'll rather avoid Algeria.

The rest can bring it on! #smiles

achimotan:

Hopefully, u will be grouped with Cape Verde. If you find yourself with the rest, hmmm. No comment for now
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by maputohq: 9:52pm On Mar 30, 2016
TheSuperNerd:
I'll rather avoid Algeria.

The rest can bring it on! #smiles

It's better we avoid other except Egypt. I wouldn't fancy a meeting with Cape Verde. Eagles are complacent against a perceived smaller opponent.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 10:21pm On Mar 30, 2016
Well, I get your point but we won't be conducting the draws. I really hope we are drawn into Egypt's group but that's as far as I go..... "Wish".

I just chose the deadliest of the five to avoid and I honestly think it's Algeria.... Their squad is like another golden generation for them in the mould of the rabah madjers and lakder belloumis..... If they don't conquer Africa with this squad well, they have their U-23s to look forward to led by the mercurial Zinedine Ferhat.

Check out the Algerians:
-Riyad Mahrez (Leicester City)
-Islam Slimani (Sporting Lisbon)
-Sofiane Feghoulli (Valencia)
-Faouzi Ghoulam (Napoli)
-Guediora (Watford)
-Yaccine Brahimi (FC Porto)
-Nabil Bentaleb (Tottenham Hotspurs)
-Taider (can't recall his club)
-El Arbi Soudani (can't recall his club)
-M'bolhi, their goalie.
-Etc....

This is just from my memory.... Imagine what I'll still show you if I dig deeper into that Algerian team.

Civ, Ghana, And CapeVerde.... Well, I don't fancy them as dangerous as the Algerians but they're indeed really huge opponents.

In the end we must meet one of them. So let's brace ourselves and get our team motivated again. We can't afford to remain dispirited for too long.

I'm focused on seeing the best talents we have out there (e.g. kick out Ambrose) invited to come make our World cup qualifying campaign a success and not another journey that will see us hit another wall.

Get the Otigbas, Odubajos, Awaziems, Ebuehis, Ehizibues, Troost Ekongs, Ndidis and many "quality" more in.

After the Olympics, move Emma Daniel up to Eagles no.2 behind Carl Ikeme.

We can still make Russia 2018 if we get our players selection right. That's speaking @ the playing personnel level.

@The Administrative level of our football, I hope Those glass house jokers become serious for once...... At least for this Russia 2018 campaign. Let it be the one thing they get right BEFORE THEY'RE KICKED OUT IN THE NEXT NFF ELECTIONS.

maputohq:

It's better we avoid other except Egypt. I wouldn't fancy a meeting with Cape Verde. Eagles are complacent against a perceived smaller oponent.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 10:42pm On Mar 30, 2016
Cape Verde??.. We don't know what we wish for.

Algeria??.. Make we no try am oo..

Egypt would be better off than the rest but before then we must do away with all those erratic defenders, the likes of Ambrose, Oboabona, Amuzie Stanley, Shehu Abdullahi and Echiejile..
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 10:59pm On Mar 30, 2016
The top-seed I'll prefer is Ghana. They're not the same force they were 3-4 yrs ago.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 11:49pm On Mar 30, 2016
AF Nigeria 2018 FIFA World Cup Qualifiers - Africa Nigeria
Nigeria hire foreign coach in 2 weeks - NFF boss

Claude Le Roy has been linked with the top Nigeria coaching post

Nigeria will name a foreign coach to qualify the country for the 2018 World Cup in a fortnight, according to the president of the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF).

On Tuesday night, the Super Eagles crashed out of AFCON 2017 under the temporary charge of Samson Siasia and NFF president Amaju Pinnick has now said he has concluded plans to appoint an expatriate, whose salaries will be footed by a private company.

“We’re going to get a foreign manager for the team,” he is quoted by Vanguard newspaper.

“And we are going to ensure that Nigeria qualify for the World Cup and do exceedingly well, too.

"We’ll make them utilise all FIFA windows to play quality friendly matches.”

He added: “There is nothing to worry about the payment of salary for the foreign manager. His wages are going to be taken care of by the private sector. We’ve concluded that and it will not cost government anything.”

Already several European coaches including former Cameroon coach Paul Le Guen and Claude Le Roy have been mentioned in connection with the top Nigeria coaching post.
africanfootball.com//news/622776/Nigeria-hire-foreign-coach-in-2-weeks-NFF-boss
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 11:50pm On Mar 30, 2016
AF Nigeria 2017 Africa Cup of Nations Qualifiers Egypt
NFF explore legal loopholes over Chad withdrawal

The Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) have said their lawyers are looking at the propriety of changing the rules of the qualifying tournament for AFCON 2017 in midstream after Chad pulled out to cause their group to now only produce one finalists for Gabon 2017.

Chad pulled out of the qualifiers citing financial difficulties and according to the rules of the competition, Group G, which also has Egypt, Nigeria and Tanzania could now only produce a qualifier for the tournament proper.

“It is rather unfortunate that Chad, one of the teams in the qualification group, suddenly pulled out of the race, leaving only three teams left in the group, and only the winner of the group guaranteed qualification,” read in part the official statement.

“This appeared to have taken away our worst –case scenario of qualification.

“However, our legal unit is looking at the propriety of changing the rules midstream.”
africanfootball.com/news/622755/NFF-explore-legal-loopholes-over-Chad-withdrawal

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 11:52pm On Mar 30, 2016
AF Nigeria 2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil Egypt
REVEALED: NFF pay Eagles $400 each in Egypt

Eagles star Onazi

It has been revealed that each player of the Super Eagles received $400 as allowances from cash-strapped Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) for their trip to Alexandria, Egypt.

This was far short of $1,000 each player usually received as allowances for an away game.

It was further gathered that for the 1-1 home draw in Kaduna, the players were paid in Naira the equivalent of $2,500.

This is a massive drop for some of these players who at the last World Cup in Brazil were on $10,000-a-man.

“Most of the players were unhappy with how they were treated as everyone was for himself after the match in Egypt,” another source informed AfricanFootball.com
africanfootball.com/news/622738/REVEALED-NFF-pay-Eagles-400-each-in-Egypt
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 11:56pm On Mar 30, 2016
Will Nigeria qualify for 2018 World Cup after AFCON ouster?

Nigeria’s failure to qualify for a second straight Africa Cup has sparked off fears over the country’s chances to feature at the 2018 World Cup in Russia.

The Super Eagles exited the 2017 Nations Cup Tuesday night in Alexandria when they lost 1-0 to home team Egypt.

Egypt are now top of the qualifying group with seven points, five points clear of Nigeria, with both teams still having a final group game against bottom team Tanzania.

It will be the second consecutive tournament three-time African champions Nigeria will not feature in two years.

“We inherited a broken bridge, which we couldn’t fix, we only amended it,” said a disappointed coach Samson Siasia, who was appointed in an interim capacity for the matches against Egypt after Sunday Oliseh’s shock resignation a month ago.

And this comes just seven months before the African zone qualifying tournament for the 2018 World Cup in Russia will begin.

Nigeria have featured in five World Cups – 1994, 1998, 2002, 2010 and 2014 – but are now likely to face a tougher qualification battle by the time the draw is staged in June going by their lowly FIFA ranking and a dispirited team.

“Honestly, we do not look good going into the World Cup qualifiers. Not qualifying for the biggest tournament in Africa, the Nations Cup, is a disaster on its own and the World Cup qualifiers will be a lot tougher,” said former Nigeria international Garba Lawal, who featured at the 1998 and 2002 World Cups.

“It is very disturbing because there are more questions than answers like who is our next coach and what do we need to do to improve the current team?”

The country’s run of poor results come at a time of mounting pressure for the executive committee of the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) led by Amaju Pinnick to quit as they cannot be trusted with the responsibility of qualifying the Eagles to the next World Cup.

Sports minister Solomon Dalung hinted on major changes at the FA.

He said: "Nigerians cannot accept any reason for failure from anybody so we either deliver or we give way to those who can deliver success.

"After this abysmal performance at AFCON (Africa Cup of Nations) qualifiers, it's important we return to the drawing board to plan for the future of football in Nigeria.

“We have no good reason not to qualify if we had planned well and also organised ourselves, rather it was crisis all the way rocking the NFF.”

The leadership crisis in the NFF saw coach Stephen Keshi start the Nations Cup qualifiers in June 2015 against Chad, before he was fired after a unhappy relationship with his employers. He was replaced by Oliseh a month later.

Oliseh then quit his post before the crucial qualifying matches against Egypt, citing lack of support from the NFF and several violations of his contract by his employers.

Siasia was appointed for the two matches against Egypt only for Pinnick to announce that a foreign coach will subsequently lead the Super Eagles.

Already several European coaches have been contacted including Uganda’s Serbian handler Milutin ‘Micho’ Sredojevic, former Cameroon coach Paul Le Guen and Claude Le Roy, who has worked with several African countries like Senegal, Congo and DR Congo.

The poor finances of the NFF caused by the withdrawal of several sponsors and other budgetary contraints have not guaranteed the contracts of the current coaches and will most certainly not win the confidence of the next coach they will hire.
africanfootball.com/news/622717/Will-Nigeria-qualify-for-2018-World-Cup-after-AFCON-ouster

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 11:57pm On Mar 30, 2016
AF Nigeria 2017 Africa Cup of Nations Qualifiers Nigeria
Amuzie sorry for Eagles ouster, eyeing 'bigger one'

Stanley Amuzie

Stanley Amuzie has pleaded with Nigerians to forgive the Super Eagles after they failed to qualify for AFCON 2017, adding the team will now target “bigger one”.

The Olhanense of Portugal defender apologised on behalf of Eagles for failing to reach AFCON for the second straight time.

"I thank you all for the support and prayers, even though we didn't qualify for the Nations Cup. We are sorry and looking up to a bigger one ahead," Amuzie wrote on his Facebook page.

The towering defender played as the left-back against Egypt in Kaduna and Alexandria which Nigeria drew 1-1 and lost 1-0 respectively

He was considered ahead of the more experienced Elderson Echiejile.
africanfootball.com/news/622715/Amuzie-sorry-for-Eagles-ouster-eyeing-bigger-one-

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:59pm On Mar 30, 2016
terzurum5:
AF Nigeria 2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil Egypt
REVEALED: NFF pay Eagles $400 each in Egypt

Eagles star Onazi

It has been revealed that each player of the Super Eagles received $400 as allowances from cash-strapped Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) for their trip to Alexandria, Egypt.

This was far short of $1,000 each player usually received as allowances for an away game.

It was further gathered that for the 1-1 home draw in Kaduna, the players were paid in Naira the equivalent of $2,500.

This is a massive drop for some of these players who at the last World Cup in Brazil were on $10,000-a-man.

“Most of the players were unhappy with how they were treated as everyone was for himself after the match in Egypt,” another source informed AfricanFootball.com
africanfootball.com/news/622738/REVEALED-NFF-pay-Eagles-400-each-in-Egypt

Coach Siasia and his Super Eagles players should not feel bad. Amaju Pinnick is saving the money for a foreign coach.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 12:00am On Mar 31, 2016
Will Nigeria qualify for 2018 World Cup after AFCON ouster?

Nigeria’s failure to qualify for a second straight Africa Cup has sparked off fears over the country’s chances to feature at the 2018 World Cup in Russia.

The Super Eagles exited the 2017 Nations Cup Tuesday night in Alexandria when they lost 1-0 to home team Egypt.

Egypt are now top of the qualifying group with seven points, five points clear of Nigeria, with both teams still having a final group game against bottom team Tanzania.

It will be the second consecutive tournament three-time African champions Nigeria will not feature in two years.

“We inherited a broken bridge, which we couldn’t fix, we only amended it,” said a disappointed coach Samson Siasia, who was appointed in an interim capacity for the matches against Egypt after Sunday Oliseh’s shock resignation a month ago.

And this comes just seven months before the African zone qualifying tournament for the 2018 World Cup in Russia will begin.

Nigeria have featured in five World Cups – 1994, 1998, 2002, 2010 and 2014 – but are now likely to face a tougher qualification battle by the time the draw is staged in June going by their lowly FIFA ranking and a dispirited team.

“Honestly, we do not look good going into the World Cup qualifiers. Not qualifying for the biggest tournament in Africa, the Nations Cup, is a disaster on its own and the World Cup qualifiers will be a lot tougher,” said former Nigeria international Garba Lawal, who featured at the 1998 and 2002 World Cups.

“It is very disturbing because there are more questions than answers like who is our next coach and what do we need to do to improve the current team?”

The country’s run of poor results come at a time of mounting pressure for the executive committee of the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) led by Amaju Pinnick to quit as they cannot be trusted with the responsibility of qualifying the Eagles to the next World Cup.

Sports minister Solomon Dalung hinted on major changes at the FA.

He said: "Nigerians cannot accept any reason for failure from anybody so we either deliver or we give way to those who can deliver success.

"After this abysmal performance at AFCON (Africa Cup of Nations) qualifiers, it's important we return to the drawing board to plan for the future of football in Nigeria.

“We have no good reason not to qualify if we had planned well and also organised ourselves, rather it was crisis all the way rocking the NFF.”

The leadership crisis in the NFF saw coach Stephen Keshi start the Nations Cup qualifiers in June 2015 against Chad, before he was fired after a unhappy relationship with his employers. He was replaced by Oliseh a month later.

Oliseh then quit his post before the crucial qualifying matches against Egypt, citing lack of support from the NFF and several violations of his contract by his employers.

Siasia was appointed for the two matches against Egypt only for Pinnick to announce that a foreign coach will subsequently lead the Super Eagles.

Already several European coaches have been contacted including Uganda’s Serbian handler Milutin ‘Micho’ Sredojevic, former Cameroon coach Paul Le Guen and Claude Le Roy, who has worked with several African countries like Senegal, Congo and DR Congo.

The poor finances of the NFF caused by the withdrawal of several sponsors and other budgetary contraints have not guaranteed the contracts of the current coaches and will most certainly not win the confidence of the next coach they will hire.
africanfootball.com/news/622717/Will-Nigeria-qualify-for-2018-World-Cup-after-AFCON-ouster

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 12:05am On Mar 31, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

Coach Siasia and his Super Eagles players should not feel bad. Amaju Pinnick is saving the money for a foreign coach.
gringringrin i no no, no dey!!!

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 12:12am On Mar 31, 2016
CFCman:

I would prefer to play Algeria than Ghana, Côte d'Ivoire and Egypt.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 12:33am On Mar 31, 2016
NOBODY, I REPEAT, NOBODY SHOULD COME AND TALK THAT OLD COMMON TALK USED BY COACHES

"HE is still a young lad, his time will come"

This statement irks me to the core.

a 19year old boy's strike sent us parking.
a 19year old boy's shot led to our goal in kaduna.
a 19year old boy's fluidity and game sense restored pride to our boring game flow.

time to instill Biggggg confidence very early as possible.

Besides, Caf should ensure any team that wants to participate must be financially buoyant to execute 6matches or else, the door is open. Personally, I feel the qualification format should change.

This team aren't bad, just so lil knowhow they need. they look good.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 3:50am On Mar 31, 2016
daveP:
NOBODY, I REPEAT, NOBODY SHOULD COME AND TALK THAT OLD COMMON TALK USED BY COACHES

a 19year old boy's fluidity and game sense restored pride to our boring game flow.

Besides, Caf should ensure any team that wants to participate must be financially buoyant to execute 6matches or else, the door is open. Personally, I feel the qualification format should change.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 3:51am On Mar 31, 2016
@Bolded..... Chaiii.... Hahahahahahaha.... Mehn! I love your sense of humor jooor.... Hahahaha.... You really got me laughing here. Wow! Hahahahaha....

But anyway shaa... Make dem withdraw sef. It's five groups we're gonna have meaning only group winners will make it to Russia 2018. #smiles

Meanwhile, in response to the "19-yrs old statements" you made, I'll quote Sir TheGoodJoe....

"......If you're good enough, then you're definitely old enough......"

It's not and will never be by age but by ability and the mental strength/attitude that goes with the super talents in the "kid".

I always had this argument with a forumite (he knows himself #smiles) on the U-23 thread..... It was turned into the "epic" Experience vs Young talents (youthful precociousness).

I have nothing against Experience. Experience is highly important but I detest when people make it the ultimate.

daveP:

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 6:09am On Mar 31, 2016
terzurum5:
NFF explore legal loopholes over Chad withdrawal

The Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) have said their lawyers are looking at the propriety of changing the rules of the qualifying tournament for AFCON 2017 in midstream after Chad pulled out to cause their group to now only produce one finalists for Gabon 2017.

Chad pulled out of the qualifiers citing financial difficulties and according to the rules of the competition, Group G, which also has Egypt, Nigeria and Tanzania could now only produce a qualifier for the tournament proper.

“It is rather unfortunate that Chad, one of the teams in the qualification group, suddenly pulled out of the race, leaving only three teams left in the group, and only the winner of the group guaranteed qualification,” read in part the official statement.

“This appeared to have taken away our worst –case scenario of qualification.

“However, our legal unit is looking at the propriety of changing the rules midstream.”
africanfootball.com/news/622755/NFF-explore-legal-loopholes-over-Chad-withdrawal

Dead on arrrival. Dnt waste our tax payers money and also ending up embarrassing Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 6:44am On Mar 31, 2016
Aaron Samuel, Adi not match fit - official

Eagles striker Aaron Samuel

CSKA Moscow striker Aaron Samuel and Fenando Adi from MLS side Portland Timbers were not listed for both AFCON qualifiers against Egypt because they were far from match fit, officials informed AfricanFootball.com

It was understood that coach Samson Siasia stuck with Watford striker Odion Ighalo for both games against Egypt because Samuel and Adi could not prove their fitness in training.

“Both players were not match-fit after Siasia tested their endurance with some exercises in training. That was why he could not name any of them even on the substitutes’ bench,” a source close to the Super Eagles revealed.

"They just couldn't cope with the training."
Samuel was making a comeback to the national team after he was overlooked by former coach Sunday Oliseh, while MLS champion Adi was set for his international debut.
africanfootball.com/news/622676/Aaron-Samuel-Adi-not-match-fit-official

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 6:47am On Mar 31, 2016
AF Nigeria 2017 Africa Cup of Nations Qualifiers Turkey
Mikel, Victor Moses return to England from Egypt

Nigeria skipper Mikel Obi

Nigeria skipper Mikel Obi, Victor Moses and Kelechi Iheanacho have returned to their bases in England directly from Alexandria after the Super Eagles 1-0 loss to Egypt Tuesday night.

Other players who did not travel back to Abuja on the chartered flight and headed back to Europe were Umar Aminu and Azubuike Okechukwu, who both returned to Turkey from Egypt.

The rest of the team returned to a rather quiet welcome at the Nnamdi Azikiwe Airport in Abuja early morning on Wednesday.

The loss in Alexandria has eliminated Nigeria from next year's AFCON in Gabon after they also failed to qualify for the 2015 AFCON in Equatorial Guinea.
africanfootball.com/news/622611/Mikel-Victor-Moses-return-to-England-from-Egypt

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 6:50am On Mar 31, 2016
AF Nigeria 2018 FIFA World Cup Qualifiers - Africa Egypt
NFF boss says focus shifts to World Cup amid calls for his resignation

Embattled NFF president Amaju Pinnick

by Samm Audu

The president of the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) Amaju Pinnick has said the country will now shift their focus to qualifying for the 2018 World Cup amid calls for him to resign after the Super Eagles were ousted from AFCON 2017.

Nigeria under the leadership of Pinnick will not feature for the second straight time at the AFCON after they were outgunned by Egypt in Alexandria on Tuesday night.

Egypt are now in pole position to feature at Gabon 2017 after they pipped Nigeria 1-0 to now have seven points.

Nigeria are second with two points, while Tanzania are bottom on a point.

Tanzania host Egypt in June and then visit Nigeria in September to conclude Group G after Chad withdrew from the qualifying series.

“We are all disappointed we did qualify (for AFCON 2017),” said Pinnick.

“The god of soccer did not smile on us.

“I believe Nigerians should forgive us for us to move on.
“The focus now is to qualify for the 2018 World Cup.

“We will keep the Eagles busy during the FIFA friendly windows ahead of the World Cup qualifiers.”

The draw for Russia 2018 will be conducted in June with the qualifying tournament to begin in October.

Pinnick’s leadership of the NFF has again been questioned by the latest failure with calls by top officials and fans for him to quit.

“Amaju should resign. It’s a shame. If I were him, I wouldn’t need anybody to tell me to throw in the towel after I failed for a second straight time,” said former FCT FA chairman Emma Attah.
africanfootball.com/news/622608/NFF-boss-says-focus-shifts-to-World-Cup-amid-calls-for-his-resignation

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15994) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: shawwal1(m), Meliforme and 7 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.