Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,625 members, 7,770,674 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 12:48 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11261840 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15994) (Reply) (Go Down)

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 7:19am On Mar 30, 2016
"The New Super Eagles Thread: Russia 2018 World Cup and The Dawn of a New Era (The Next Golden Generation)".

40 Likes 17 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 7:20am On Mar 30, 2016
Loading still.......

11 Likes 8 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 7:21am On Mar 30, 2016
Let the new journey begin

8 Likes 6 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 7:24am On Mar 30, 2016
Waiting for stakeholders approval......

5 Likes 4 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 7:24am On Mar 30, 2016
Shall we..........

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 7:27am On Mar 30, 2016
grin man must console himself. grin

Man go wait another 2 years again. grin

4 Likes 4 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 7:27am On Mar 30, 2016
A new dawn has been ushered.......

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 7:32am On Mar 30, 2016
terzurum5:
Waiting for stakeholders approval......

Bros, forget about approval because naturally that thread go die. I am with you here.

Just start posting news about Super Eagles here and you will see people will follow suit.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AIG07: 7:35am On Mar 30, 2016
Here we go again...
But this time around with a Golden Generation full of super talents.

7 Likes 5 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 7:46am On Mar 30, 2016
forgiveness:

Bros, forget about approval because naturally that thread go die. I am with you here.

Just start posting news about Super Eagles here and you will see people will follow suit.

U re wlcm

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AIG07: 7:46am On Mar 30, 2016
Sir. T. Can you add THE GOLDEN GENERATION to d thread's topic.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 8:07am On Mar 30, 2016
forgiveness:

U re wlcm
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 8:12am On Mar 30, 2016
AIG07:
Sir. T. Can you add THE GOLDEN GENERATION to d thread's topic.

So how should the topic read?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 8:42am On Mar 30, 2016
Icon4s:

Something that was very obvious? Aminu brought more fluidity in the middle and combined better with the attackers. The Egyptians even when 1goal down still maintained there shape and didn't really pose much attacking threat.
Iheanacho was mostly lost in the game. The only 2/3 times he was really noticed were when once or twice he came back to d midfield to pick the ball and then when he rattled d upright.

If you saw my prefered starting 11, i put him(Iheanacho) as the lone CF cos i know his development has shifted more towards d striker's position and less of the AM position. Iwobi is our best AM player right now and he has made a big claim to d starting line up for d Olympics.

The thing with you my friend TheGoodJoe is anything that involves Iheanacho u are always too sentimental. And that usually affects ur sense of judgement. To u he can never do anything wrong. The other players are Nigerians too.

I am not sentimental when it concerns Nacho as you guys think. When I say play Iheanacho ahead of Bony, it is not just sentiments. It is because his style of play adds more to the team.

Everyone who reads most of my comments have read me write Mikel is the best passer in the Super Eagles. Now, are you not seeing me write Iwobi is the best Passer. I did not see anyone write that I am sentimental to Mikel.

When Mourinho benched Mikel regularly, I wrote repeatedly that Mikel was a better player than Matic. Many argued I said that out of Sentiments. Today many will agree with me.

If Manchester City can sign Griezmann, I will not complain if Guardiola drops Nacho for him. I will want Iheanacho to study Griezmann.

Coach Siasia picking Aminu was the wrong option. When Iwobi came on, you could see us creating more chances. With Nacho there, we would have had more fluidity to penetrate the wall of Egypt.

Aminu looked good in the first game because of the gaps created by the Egyptians who pushed forward. In a compact defence, you need more creative play than direct. Nacho would have been a better pick. This is a fact, not sentiments.

9 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 8:43am On Mar 30, 2016
Icon4s:

Something that was very obvious? Aminu brought more fluidity in the middle and combined better with the attackers. The Egyptians even when 1goal down still maintained there shape and didn't really pose much attacking threat.
Iheanacho was mostly lost in the game. The only 2/3 times he was really noticed were when once or twice he came back to d midfield to pick the ball and then when he rattled d upright.

If you saw my prefered starting 11, i put him(Iheanacho) as the lone CF cos i know his development has shifted more towards d striker's position and less of the AM position. Iwobi is our best AM player right now and he has made a big claim to d starting line up for d Olympics.

The thing with you my friend TheGoodJoe is anything that involves Iheanacho u are always too sentimental. And that usually affects ur sense of judgement. To u he can never do anything wrong. The other players are Nigerians too.

Did I say Iwobi was not our best AMF. When I made my list, Did I not put Iwobi there?

We are talking of a striker who is most creative in the Super Eagles. Please tell me the attacker in the Super Eagles who passes better than Iheanacho.

If Egypt were not a goal down in Kaduna, Aminu will not have that space. Leave saying I am sentimental to Nacho and let us look at the facts.

In a compact and rigid Egyptian defence, Aminu is the wrong partner for Ighalo.

Iheanacho still contributed more to the team winning at Kaduna. He was our best forward that day. He contributed more direct shots.

How many direct shots did Aminu have in both games?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AIG07: 9:07am On Mar 30, 2016
terzurum5:

So how should the topic read?
Make we give TheSuperNerd this assignment to coin d thread's name I think he deserves that.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 10:43am On Mar 30, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

Did I say Iwobi was not our best AMF. When I made my list, Did I not put Iwobi there?

We are talking of a striker who is most creative in the Super Eagles. Please tell me the attacker in the Super Eagles who pass better than Iheanacho.

If Egypt were not a goal down in Kaduna, Aminu will not have that space. Leave saying I am sentimental to Nacho and let us look at the facts.

In a compact and rigid Egyptian defence, Aminu is the wrong partner for Ighalo.

Iheanacho still contributed more to the team winning at Kaduna. He was our best forward that day. He contributed more direct shots.

How many direct shots did Aminu have in both games?

When I mentioned Iwobi I was nt relating it to what u said or what u did nt say. I just made mentioned that he is our best AM option for now.

If u say Aminu found space bc we were a goal up and the Egyptians pushed forward to equalize why didn't you say same for Victor Moses who also found space severally when we were a goal up. Jst because the argument is Aminu vs Iheanacho you must coming up that to defend Iheanacho. Because he is your favourite u cannot see anything wrong with his game.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:40am On Mar 30, 2016
Icon4s:

When I mentioned Iwobi I was nt relating it to what u said or what u did nt say. I just made mentioned that he is our best AM option for now.

If u say Aminu found space bc we were a goal up and the Egyptians pushed forward to equalize why didn't you say same for Victor Moses who also found space severally when we were a goal up. Jst because the argument is Aminu vs Iheanacho you must coming up that to defend Iheanacho. Because he is your favourite u cannot see anything wrong with his game.

I do not need to say it. Victor Moses found much space because we were a goal up. That is how it works.

Why I agreed with you on Victor Moses starting was because he was more difficult to control. He found his way past two or three players sometimes at Kaduna. It would be harder against a more compact defence.

A direct approach was the wrong choice. It takes innovation to break down compact defences.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 11:45am On Mar 30, 2016
terzurum5:

U re wlcm

Thanks

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 12:14pm On Mar 30, 2016
terzurum5:
2018 FIFA World Cup Russia

You forgot to invite co-parliamentarians here. Not sure they are aware of this thread yet.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:19pm On Mar 30, 2016

[size=13pt]The Success Of Spain: A Lesson For Every Football Nation[/size]

The seniors showed how to do it! And now the juniors showed that even they can do it. Next what? Even the Spanish U5 might win their respective football tournament in the very same way. It’s that time to say that Brazil is no more the most feared football country in the world. It’s time for Spain to take the throne. The victory of Spain U-21 in the European championships recently has further substantiated the claim of the kings of world football. But how has Spain managed this unprecedented success, this unbelievable consistency that every country wants to emulate the Spanish success model?

The Process of Winning

Rome was not built in a day nor was Spain’s WC triumph or its major episodes of glory. It had been planned meticulously and every single detail was given great attention.

https://www.nairaland.com/3019225/success-spain-lesson-every-football#44246494

This is one of my favorite reads of football development. When you read this, you will understand the importance of good Football administration. You will notice why Politicians with no deep love for Football have no business running the game.

You will also get why the blame should not always fall on the shoulders of coaches.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 12:21pm On Mar 30, 2016
undecided what is the logics behind deviating from the former thread instead of just modifying its topic to correspond with the world cup trend?.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by groundnutoil(m): 12:24pm On Mar 30, 2016
Bleep supa chickens every damn year anoda golden generation same failure Bleep nff idiats

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:29pm On Mar 30, 2016
blueto:
undecided what is the logics behind deviating from the former thread instead of just modifying its topic to correspond with the world cup trend?.

Editing the title of the thread and continuing from there, disguises the way people followed a particular progression of a particular tournament.

The winning U17 thread created by Joseph1013 explains this in detail. The thread begun from the announcement of Amunike as the Chief Coach and ended with him a winner.

Editing the title breaks the time line. The AFCON 2017 pursuit is over and we are beginning another pursuit as a fresh one. Until we get another successful winning thread.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 2:36pm On Mar 30, 2016
PUZZLING SELECTION SINKS NIGERIA'S AFCON QUEST

The stakes could not be higher, but Siasia's odd selection choices robbed the Super Eagles of any flow and rhythm in attack in Alexandria

By Solace Chukwu
Where once it seemed an aberration to have an Africa Cup of Nations without Nigeria, there is now a sense of resigned inevitability to it. The Fifa ranking cops quite a bit of flak (are Cape Verde really the best team in Africa?) but in the case of the Super Eagles, it may well be overgenerous.

One miss might be considered unfortunate, but a repeat serves only to buttress the most uncomfortable of truths: Nigeria are no longer one of Africa’s best 16 teams. The 2013 triumph in South Africa seems now a distant memory, the cruel shadow of a haunting memory tugging away at the back of the mind, fluttering just out of reach and leaving in its wake baleful emptiness.

Charged with the task of exorcising that ghost was an eleven that appeared to defy logic and reason; so much so, it became convenient to see method in the madness: perhaps Siasia sought to spring a surprise on the Pharaohs, luring them into the sort of false sense of security that proved their undoing in the epic Biblical tale of Hebrew redemption at the Red Sea.

As it turns out, it was Nigeria’s wheels that came unstuck in the end. Far more worrying though than the underwhelming choices and performances of the likes of Aminu Umar and Stanley Amuzie, it was clear that, as a team, there was little conviction to how it sought to create the goal(s) required to remain in contention. Surely, if the idea was to take the game to the hosts from the off, a bit more invention in central areas than either Umar or Ahmed Musa are capable of would have seemed apposite.

Did Siasia's selection decisions undermine Nigeria?

The effect of both Victor Moses and the CSKA Moscow man taking up narrow positions meant oodles of space on the flank, but yet again – as it was against South Africa in Uyo in 2014 – neither full-back provided width on the overlap. The hosts therefore only had to defend the width of their penalty box, and were largely untroubled against an attack that appeared to feature four (five if you count a neither-fish-nor-fowl Oghenekaro Etebo) strangers uncertain of their collective moments.

Shehu Abdullahi at right-back – there’s an experiment that has spontaneously combusted in all our faces – looked totally overawed by the occasion, and was full of errors all game long. His haplessness evinced sympathy, and though it was Amuzie at left-back who was withdrawn at half-time, one gets the impression it was for lack of a proper deputy at right-back.

The Borg El Arab Stadium may have lacked the sheer weight of numbers that crammed itself into the Ahmadu Bello Stadium, Kaduna on Friday, but it made up for it with an atmosphere of hissing malevolence and zipping green lasers. It worked; aside captain John Obi Mikel and Daniel Akpeyi, who pulled off two splendid stops in the first period, no one else in green came out of this smelling of roses. If eleven subs were possible, Siasia may well have made them all.

There was perhaps no greater indication that he had got his starting line-up wrong than the nature of his substitutions: all broadly like-for-like, each introducing a player who should have started the tie—Elderson Echiejile’s experience at the highest level was surely not something to sniff at; Etebo’s impersonation of a central midfielder, untidy and imprecise as it was, gave way to the smooth Azubuike Okechukwu; while Alex Iwobi, in his 20 minutes, showed more guile and ability to knit the play together than the limited Umar managed in 70.

Quite why Siasia thought it wise to keep his powder dry so long, with his team needing a win, is anyone’s guess.

He may have saved the fine wine for last, but by the time the changes were made, the Super Eagles were addled, swaying on their feet and pretty much out for the count. It seemed almost mercifully fortunate that Moses’s fizzing shot came off the post and spun out: renewed hope, in this case, would have been little more than prolonging the agony.

What this team needs; nay, what Nigerian football needs now, is surgery.

http://m.goal.com/s/en-ng/news/4079/features/2016/03/30/21824882/puzzling-selection-sinks-nigerias-afcon-quest

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 2:44pm On Mar 30, 2016
Five things to fix Nigeria after failure to reach African Nations Cup

Samson Siasia, who coached Nigeria at the Beijing Olympics in 2008, will get another crack at a medal next summer in Rio.
Samson Siasia has to be allowed to stay in charge.
It's the morning after a night of heartbreak. Nigeria's Super Eagles will be missing from a second consecutive African Nations Cup after they lost 1-0 to Egypt in the second leg to crash out of the group 2-1 on aggregate.

For a country with a population that dwarfs the majority of others on the continent, which exports the greatest number of football players overseas, and has been consistently on the top tier of African football, it is a stunning confirmation of decline.

This recent failure will mark the third time in four editions that Nigeria miss out on Africa's showpiece event. That is the mark of continental minnows and, due to their performances, they really should be considered minnows in African football.

Recognising the problem is the first step towards finding a resolution, and here is where Nigeria should start.

1. Allow Samson Siasia to continue as boss

While the troubles within the Nigeria team started much earlier, it came to the boil with the inability to qualify for the 2012 African Nations Cup.

Rather than take a step back to assess why the team failed to qualify, and what needed to be done, an immediate quick fix was to fire Siasia. This, despite the fact that he not only got the squad playing an exciting brand of football, but was also scoring a hatful of goals.

During the current qualifying series, three coaches, with three contrasting styles and almost three different sets of players were employed. Each coach with three different captains. It all added up to disaster.

Siasia may have been appointed as a stand-in coach, but it is time for the Nigerian FA (NFF) to look at the big picture and hand him a long-term contract to continue the process he started.

There is no need for a new coach to come in and start a "rebuilding" process that has been going on for the better part of six years.

Siasia understands the NFF's constraints. They are well aware of his limitations. Between them, they can find a lasting workaround that serves the best interests of Nigeria.

What we saw over 180 minutes against Egypt is a team a that played delightful football, created opportunities, showed promise but were let down for the most part by defensive fragility.

Given time, and perhaps with a little help from technical director Shaibu Amodu to help with defensive structure, this is a team that can go far if they keep the manager.

2. Football must be unshackled

It is easy enough to dump the blame for this disaster at the door step of the NFF. And, in fairness, as the body charged with administering the game, they should take responsibility. But here's the thing: Nigeria have failed to qualify under three different administrations, so perhaps the issues run a little deeper?

Actually, it does. Government shackles are the major reason the federation cannot function properly. Having to wait months for financing, even after budgets have been slashed unrecognizably, does little to help plans and preparations.

This has been said so many times it has become hackneyed, but government really has to let go of football. It should not even be up for discussion anymore.

3. Players must show their passion

Now to the actual football. Back when the Super Eagles were the best team in Africa, the players did not play for the world's biggest clubs. As a matter of fact, some were even clubless. What they did have, however, was a sense of commitment and dedication to the cause.

Did they have issues with administrators? Of course. There were all manner of rows and disputes over bonuses, tickets and the likes. But when they stepped on the pitch, they left it all there.

And that was what marked the Super Eagles out. These days, players talk of high spirits and confidence, but it's hard to see when they are on the pitch.

If Nigeria keep the coach and allow him to build a core team, rather than playing a game of musical chairs where players are not sure if they'll return for the next game or not, that is the first step. Leadership cannot blossom in such an uncertain atmosphere.

Odion Ighalo
Odion Ighalo needs the side to play to his strengths.
4. Play to Ighalo's strengths

One such player is Odion Ighalo. The Watford forward is without doubt Nigeria's hottest striker in Europe. He may have hit a dry patch in the Premier League in the lead up to these qualifiers, but his quality is not in doubt. However, he failed to score over two legs and the question must be asked, did he carry over his dip in form? Or does the system just not suit him?

On the evidence of the two games, one would have to go with the system. For long periods, Ighalo looked lonely, sandwiched between two defenders with next to no support. On one occasion, he dropped deep, picked up a ball and played a vertical reverse pass in behind but Ahmed Musa, who had moved into that central space, failed to read it and did not make the run. That was one move that epitomised Ighalo's frustrations.

His best moments came when Alex Iwobi came on. The Arsenal teenager's direct running played to the Watford man's strengths and their interplay caused trouble for Egypt.

So, it might be time for Siasia to consider tweaking his system to suit the players at his disposal. Many fans are already criticising Ighalo and it would be a big mistake for Siasia to drop him. He needs confidence to deliver and the coach must give him that confidence by backing him.

Rashidi Yekini missed tons of chances, but he always had the confidence of a striker who knew his coach and teammates had his back. Right now, that's what Ighalo needs too.

5. Sort out the defence

Defence used to be one of Nigeria's strong points. But, in recent years, that has failed to be the case. Stephen Keshi put a patch on it by playing a somewhat conservative style, like his mentor Amodu. It was painful to watch, but it was efficient.

Siasia usually takes the opposite route, by going for an all-out attacking approach. When it works, it is beautiful; when the team doesn't score, it can be disastrous.

A hybrid solution (only with Siasia's buy-in, of course) would be to get Amodu to join in temporarily and help design and implement a defensive structure for the team.

With no Nations Cup on the horizon, that time might be best served plugging the holes. It would also help if the likes of Leon Balogun and Kenneth Omeruo can manage to stay injury free for consistent, protracted periods.

http://c.newsnow.co.uk/A/2/823381915?-21310:8643

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 3:01pm On Mar 30, 2016
10 Reasons Why Super Eagles Failed To Qualify For AFCON

Completesportsnigeria.com’s JOHNNY EDWARD and ADEBOYE AMOSU examine why the Super Eagles failed to qualify for their second straight Africa Cup of Nations. They come up with 10 reasons for this failure…
1. POOR SELECTION
Super Eagles caretaker coach, Samson Siasia, made some blunders in his selection which played a key part in the team’s failure to beat the Pharaohs in both legs of the qualifiers.
His decision to start Stanley Amuzie at left-back ahead of the more experienced Elderson Echiejile was a big blunder.
Amuzie was disappointing in both games, no wonder he was hauled off at half time in Alexandria.
Also his decision to play Oghenekaro Etebo in the holding midfield role when Ogenyi Onazi was available for selection in Alexandria following his suspension for the game in Kaduna was also questionable.
Siasia also persisted with Ahmed Musa when it was obvious the duo of Moses Simon and Alex Iwobi would have done a better job.

2. ODION IGHALO’S FAILURE TO REPLICATE CLUB FORM
Much was expected from the Watford man, but he never lived up to expectations over the two legs. His inability to replicate his club form for the Super Eagles has no doubt cost the team a place in Gabon 2017.
3. POOR PLANNING
The Super Eagles were earlier scheduled to travel to Alexandria immediately after the first leg in Kaduna, but the Nigeria Football Federation later altered the plan.
Instead the team left the country on Monday and following a two hour delay at the Nnamdi Azikwe Stadium, add that to the two hours they spent on the road from Kaduna to Abuja, it was a long and tortuous journey that affected the performance of the team.
Not only were the players unable to train properly after arriving late on Monday, they looked rusty on match day.
4. NO CO-ORDINATION BETWEEN MIDFIELD AND ATTACK
The Super Eagles lost the battle in the middle of the park and that contributed to their defeat against the Pharaohs.
Captain of the side, Mikel Obi, started the game brightly, but fizzled out afterwards.
Watford striker, Odion Ighalo, was left isolated upfront as he didn’t have much support from the midfielders, leaving Victor Moses as the team’s only attacking threat.
The defence was also overworked as there was no proper holding midfielder to shield the back four.
5. SIASIA LEFT IT TOO LATE WITH HIS SUBSTITUTIONS
Though he made a good decision in substituting Stanley Amuzie at the start of the second half, Samson Siasia like he did in the first leg waited too long before bringing in fresh legs in the game.
The decision to keep Ahmed Musa and Aminu Umar on the pitch despite their poor performance when there were better options like Alex Iwobi and Moses Simon on the bench backfired at the end of the day.
Read Also: Siasia Slams Super Eagles Defenders For Egypt Equaliser
6. OVER-RELIANCE ON ODION IGHALO
Odion Ighalo going into the fixtures against Egypt had failed to score in seven English Premier League games for Watford and only scored once for the Eagles in his last six games before the game against Egypt.
That was a sign for coach Samson Siasia to call up a quality back-up for the 26-year-old that he could bring on when the going got tough.
Siasia had in his arsenal Aaron Samuel who wasn’t fully fit and Fanendo Adi who was in the team for the first time.
Ighalo was a shadow of himself in both fixtures and he didn’t force any crucial save from the Egyptian goalie in 180 minutes which is a cause for worry going forward.
7. PRESSURE ON SIASIA TO GET EAGLES JOB PERMANENLY
After impressing his handlers with the U-23 job, Samson Siasia allowed himself to be caught up with the pressure of being named the Eagles boss on a permanent basis.
So he made some poor decisions, including bringing in too many players from the U-23s who lacked the needed experience to see off Egypt over two legs to qualify for the 2017 Nations Cup.
8. SIASIA’S HARD LUCK
Twice coach Samson Siasia has taken over from two of his team-mates (Austin Eguavoen in 2011 and (Sunday Oliseh 2016) and failed to qualify for a major tournament.
His teams have played decent football but have been rather unlucky. A last-minute equaliser to Egypt in Kaduna, where Victor Moses had a shot cleared off the line, was probably the moment that ultimately eliminated the Eagles.
9. FOUR MATCHES, THREE DIFFERENT COACHES
Stephen Keshi started the qualifiers as head coach, while Samson Siasia ended it. In between, the Eagles had Sunday Oliseh as head coach. These frequent change of coaches meant the line-ups constantly changed as each coach brought in his own men. The changes sometimes led to quality players being dropped for favoured but less talented players, changes in systems, formations and tactics.
These changes ended up being detrimental to the team.
10. NIGERIA’S POOR AWAY RECORD
The foundations for the Super Eagles’ failure were laid in their first qualifier. In Sunday Oliseh’s first match, the Eagles struggled against Tanzania in Dar Es Salaam and were lucky to escape with a draw.
As they were drawing in Tanzania, their major rivals Egypt were spanking Chad away from home, laying down a marker. In the end, Nigeria got a paltry one point from two away matches as their dreams went up in smoke.

http://c.newsnow.co.uk/A/2/823406785?-21310:8643

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by maputohq: 3:16pm On Mar 30, 2016
I,m pitching my tent here.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 3:21pm On Mar 30, 2016
SAD, SAD DAY FOR NIGERIAN FOOTBALL

By Lolade Adewuyi

The Super Eagles lost to the Pharaohs in Alexandria and will now miss a consecutive Africa Cup of Nations tournament
GOAL COMMENT By Lolade Adewuyi Follow on Twitter
Nigerian football plumbed new depths on Tuesday as the Super Eagles failed to qualify for the 2017 Africa Cup of Nations after losing 1-0 to Egypt in Alexandria.

Ramadan Sobhy scored the lone goal to send the Pharaohs to Gabon and consign the Super Eagles to missing another tournament after the failure of 2015.

The Eagles, under the tutelage of Samson Siasia looked better organized than the previous game in Kaduna but fell to a more compact side in the Pharaohs.

Despite all their possession, there was a lack of cutting edge as the hosts blocked out their attacking forays and tactically avoided giving away any fouls.

While the Egyptians have just qualified for their first Afcon since 2010, Nigeria will need to ask questions about where it all went wrong.

Reigning champions of Africa at U20 and U23, double world champions at U17, there is surely no shortage of talent for the Nigerian senior national team.

So why have we failed to reach two consecutive Africa Cup of Nations tournaments and three of the last four?

Nigeria’s fate was sealed after the withdrawal of Chad from the qualifying campaign which created a situation where only one team could qualify, as against the original scenario where the second-placed team could go through if it amassed enough points to finish as one of two best second-placed teams.

One of the biggest problems was self inflicted. In all the four matches the Super Eagles have played, there were three different coaches in charge of the team – Stephen Keshi, Sunday Oliseh and Siasia.

The Nigeria Football Federation’s changing of coaches and the infighting which led to loss of focus under the watchful eye of Mr Amaju Pinnick is one of the causes of our downfall.

It is a shame that under Mr Pinnick, Nigeria has failed to qualify two straight times for the Afcon. Twice!

In a sane country, Mr Pinnick would announce his resignation and other key members of the NFF would follow suit in order to take the blame for the situation at hand.

However, if one can predict their reaction, they will attempt to shift the blame on every other person but themselves.

While Mr Pinnick has spent so much money on training back room staff and former players who have had nothing to do with our teams, flying to Europe and back, coaches across the entire national teams as well as players have been regularly owed salaries and bonuses. Yet he wants to hire a European as coach of the Super Eagles.

When Mr Pinnick was elected president of the NFF in acrimonious circumstances in 2014, Nigeria had just returned from the World Cup where it reached the Round of 16 and was adjudged the 16th best football playing nation in the world.

While Algeria, a fellow African side that reached the same stage in Brazil, have continued to build on that feat and now look unbeatable, we have regressed and consistently dropped below accepted standards.

While our boys have shed their sweat and blood to protect our colours, our football administrators seem to wallow in the splendour of underachievement.

Once again we will watch the 16 best teams in Africa file out in Gabon in January without our green and white flying at the tournament.

We will be onlookers as other teams jostle for the title that our boys lifted in 2013, a moment of great triumph for our nation.

We will watch on our TV screens as other young men do their nations proud while ours regret not qualifying.

It is a sad, sad day for Nigerian football.

http://m.goal.com/s/en-ng/news/17252/super-eagles/2016/03/30/21837352/sad-sad-day-for-nigerian-football

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 3:29pm On Mar 30, 2016
Make I Park Well for here with my camel..

Nigeria has what it takes to reach the Mundial at Russia in 2018..

We have got the Men, Material, Money and Manpower to reach the Mundial..

One mistake Siasia keeps repeating in all the teams that he had handled is a weak defense. Just a close look at the last U23 nations cup points to that fact. He needs to fix that now and fast..

I don't believe in luck. It's either success or failure.

If we fail to get our acts right, we should kiss participating in the Mundial good bye..

They want us to keep praying knowing fully well that God don't reward mediocre..

Yeah, I am sports on..

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 4:18pm On Mar 30, 2016
Is there anyone on this thread who felt Echiejile performed better than Amuzie.

I want to know.

Solace Chukwu pointed that the wing backs did not provide width. I remember Amuzie putting in a cross that the Goal Keeper caught. Did Echiejile put in an accurate cross?

I am sick of the ridiculous highly experience talk. It is so baffling that is the point to play Echiejile.

If anyone feels Echiejile performed better, I will like to know.

What did Echiejile do when he came on that justified a starting position?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 4:22pm On Mar 30, 2016
Echiejile lost his place in the squad in the last qualifying games of Coach Keshi after consecutive poor performances led us to a bad position in the qualifiers.

How can people ask about Echiejile instead of asking the true question. What made Sunday Oliseh not call Juwon Oshaniwa after Juwon Oshaniwa became the left back under Coach Keshi.

Why did Coach Siasia not call Juwon Oshaniwa?

6 Likes 4 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15994) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Kog45(m), EricZeal(m) and 4 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.