Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,216 members, 7,842,569 topics. Date: Tuesday, 28 May 2024 at 10:33 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (1923) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11821349 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1920) (1921) (1922) (1923) (1924) (1925) (1926) ... (16227) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by soetanoreoluwa(m): 12:10am On Oct 27, 2017
daveP:
I for call u mother confessor@boldened(if you were actually correct), but dont conclude like that na. My own angle will be that he is being discussed cos of what he can offer both on and off pitch. Osaze couldnt. Mikel needs a partner to help tell these young blood, etc why they should behave, how things were done back then.(Pirlo does that for Italy, why cant we replicate?). If you think he has totally naffin to offer, then i'd say youre wrong!! Currently with Enyeama's absence, there's no commanding presence/Figurehead among the players. (shrugs). But dont shut him out cos of his age.

What did he offer in 2010 world cup? Remember he was very hot.. I can say he qualified us for World Cup...

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 12:12am On Oct 27, 2017
safarigirl:
you said the players need someone to mentor them about on and OFF pitch behaviour.

I believe his unconventional family counts as off pitch, we wouldn't want these boys endangering their careers and money by having multiple baby mamas. Not everyone will be able to get a team in the Chinese league that can pay them bastard money to afford child support
Now dont go that far cos it doesnt affect a dime of their careers. John Terry comes to mind even when he was tagged finished. He has a bad, worse off pitch lifestyle than Martins. That didnt stop his influence or hinder him from dishing out advices(Adele performed in a show and sang 'someone like you'. JT was in d crowd singing it with passion. I laughed hard that day). Let's disregard the personal lifestyle stuff. It buttresses no point!! It makes it personal than it seems. I however hold onto your view on team blend.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 12:13am On Oct 27, 2017
lol.. It's not Mikel. Both Martins and Mikel were in Oliseh's team. When Siasia took over na Mikel tell am not to invite Martins? Na Mikel tell Siasia to invite Azubuike, Madu, Etebo etc? Nobody shut the door to Martins. These players are known to the coaches, and they choose whoever they want to use to prosecute their programs.

All this conspiracy theories they tire me.

junnyjake:

I don't see anyone who's richer than him in the present crop of players we have. That dude is unarguably the most travelled SE star. From Italy, England, Russia, Germany, Spain, America and now China.

Mikel might be the most powerful reason being that Martins has been out of the Set-Up for a while. But I'm sure he's more popular to those at the glass house.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 12:14am On Oct 27, 2017
Mujtahida:

The match against Swaziland. That's even what convinced most people that he's done for. Why didn't you call for him since Rohr's coming.

Was those matches part of the qualifiers or not? Answer. grin

What role did he play? grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 12:15am On Oct 27, 2017
Please don't compare Martins to Aiyegbeni. That comparison has no substance. One cannot play actively, and the other has a pretty good recent stats. In fact Martins did an assist in his last match not too long ago. Saying a player is finished when they are actually performing is telling lies oh

Mujtahida:

And you want to go with Martins? Hahahaha hahahaha. Carry Aiyegbeni join. The same you that wants Thiago Ilori to go and face this attackers is now afraid for Iheanacho and Ighalo. Very funny
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by soetanoreoluwa(m): 12:15am On Oct 27, 2017
daveP:
I for call u mother confessor@boldened(if you were actually correct), but dont conclude like that na. My own angle will be that he is being discussed cos of what he can offer both on and off pitch. Osaze couldnt. Mikel needs a partner to help tell these young blood, etc why they should behave, how things were done back then.(Pirlo does that for Italy, why cant we replicate?). If you think he has totally naffin to offer, then i'd say youre wrong!! Currently with Enyeama's absence, there's no commanding presence/Figurehead among the players. (shrugs). But dont shut him out cos of his age.

If the boldness is your fear.. Good..

Me too don think am too.. That's why I suggested people like kanu, Yak, amunike even Martins Can help to talk to the players.. And tell them what it means to go to world cup... If it's possible follow them to Russia and ginger them... This Wil help alot...

Remember Jay Jay did thesame during the qualifier and kanu also did thesame during last match against Zambia... That's what we want...

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by soetanoreoluwa(m): 12:17am On Oct 27, 2017
Mujtahida:

Isn't it amazing how we kick people in the arse in Nigeria after they've worked so hard and then we pose and expect an apology?

I felt bad for him... He was sent out of the hotel by oliseh with security men.. Can you imagine?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 12:17am On Oct 27, 2017
mank1234:

So Onazi, Echejile, Alloy Agu - the kjeper trainer and other former players around the team can't do this except your Martins?
These guys you mentioned, do you think they have respect from others? asin the respect of 'i look up to you'. Even their performance is proportional to confidence and respect from teammates. i'l let this case lie. Agu's biz is majorly with the gks and not the whole team.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 12:18am On Oct 27, 2017
tglobal:
One recurring sentiment I think has been a serious setback for african teams over the years, has been this clamour for "new players" at every turn. Keshi was the coach for 3-4 years and up until he left, we still had a feeling that we were "building a team". I can assure you all that going by what I am reading on this thread and past trendss, these same players we are tagging as "fresh" and claiming to raise for 2022 will quickly be discarded and classified as "tired legs" by 2021. It's a cycle that never ends and I have been seeing this in play since our past golden generation of players. We have always been rebuilding and discarding players not based on what they do or do not offer but on perceived need to "inject new blood"...

Onigbinde did it, same with Christian Chukwu, Eguavoen, Siasia, Keshi and Oliseh.

I simply don't understand why the first hurdle for player invitation is age as opposed to performance. It's the National team and not an age-restricted competition! No team gets remembered for how young they are but rather what results they can produce at the time.Aime Jacquet didn't drop Ginola and Co because of their ages. He simply chose players that fit into his game plan.

Whether Martins receives an invitation or not is not my issue (I don't think he has anything better to offer than what we have). However, rejecting the idea of extending an invitation to him based on age alone is what I find puzzling.
I mentioned Ginola and Cantona to precisely show that even performing players get dropped. Keshi had a team in 2013 which he all but disbanded for the World Cup. Rohr now also has a team which he should be encouraged to go with the core of players (provided they are in form and fit) who have qualified us for the World Cup. Personally I've opined that new players should not be so much as more than seven.
The point is what will Martins bring to the table that an Ighalo, an Iheanacho, Kayode, will not bring?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by junnyjake(m): 12:19am On Oct 27, 2017
Here's what I'd say about this trending topic on Martins.

I believe in tactics and systems. If Rorh is considering some tactics for the WC and he thinks Martins out of the others would fit into his style perfectly he'd invite him and there's nothing y'all can do about it.

I doubt, this would ever be the case because if it was he'd have at least been considered even if it was to make the standby list.

So, I think this transcends Present form, Past glory, Quality of league and stats.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 12:20am On Oct 27, 2017
We've all been speaking of recent stats.. so all this talk of old glory maybe that's for #TeamOldGlory oh
If you guys really believe the likes of Martins and yak(?) can dislodge KC etc from the team, then i'm afraid you don't even trust the young guys as much as I do

soetanoreoluwa:

Ooh! You saw the picture too... Yak the gym every time... Don't be shocked if he made it to Russia... He's very fit...
Atleast he's is the second highest goal scorer in SE.. And also scored over 100goals in Epl... I think he deserve a call up...

Nuisance
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 12:20am On Oct 27, 2017
Humility017:

Martins is not better than any of the current players.....okay...he is not a threat not at all because he is not better than those in Belgium or Denmark or even England...

even ighalo is doing better this season
Their calls is anchored more on nostalgia.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by junnyjake(m): 12:21am On Oct 27, 2017
Joebie:
yakubu sef can't pass nacho for camp.. una dey talk like say camp na another ball game entirely. when competition hot up everybody must show he best oh. Even Okocha can't displace nobody in campt today. forget all those old man play play tournament. He can't stand the heat.

You should know I was exaggerating.

I was trying to make you see that performance in the camp can lead us into making a superficial choice.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by soetanoreoluwa(m): 12:21am On Oct 27, 2017
daveP:
Yeah i just rem. Maybe cos he played just 71mins in 2games. Besides he didnt have issues with Lars. I recall that Lars felt more comfy with Yak the misser. Then his mum's state of health, thus he wasnt concentrated.

And you remember he was very angry for sitting on bench... He had issues with Lars
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 12:22am On Oct 27, 2017
soetanoreoluwa:

If the boldness is your fear.. Good..

Me too don think am too.. That's why I suggested people like kanu, Yak, amunike even Martins Can help to talk to the players.. And tell them what it means to go to world cup... If it's possible follow them to Russia and ginger them... This Wil help alot...

Remember Jay Jay did thesame during the qualifier and kanu also did thesame during last match against Zambia... That's what we want...

Wait na you i give Brock Lesnar's f5 to ba? No vex. I've 'Undone' it!! grin 30bi for your akkant for finally getting my pov.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 12:22am On Oct 27, 2017
Yes it's all about tactics as well. so why are we even making noise? Rohr will do his job. And invite whoever he pleases. And please lets stop feeding off of whacky junkie headlines, without credible source -- fear mongers. Rohr or his assistants never said they are considering Martins. The NFF never said they are going to force Martins on Rohr. shekina

junnyjake:
Here's what I'd say about this trending topic on Martins.

I believe in tactics and systems. If Rorh is considering some tactics for the WC and he thinks Martins out of the others would fit into his style perfectly he'd invite him and there's nothing y'all can do about it.

I doubt, this would ever be the case because if it was he'd have at least been considered even if it was to make the standby list.

So, I think this transcends Present form, Past glory, Quality of league and stats.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by junnyjake(m): 12:23am On Oct 27, 2017
Joebie:
lol.. It's not Mikel. Both Martins and Mikel were in Oliseh's team. When Siasia took over na Mikel tell am not to invite Martins? Na Mikel tell Siasia to invite Azubuike, Madu, Etebo etc? Nobody shut the door to Martins. These players are known to the coaches, and they choose whoever they want to use to prosecute their programs.

All this conspiracy theories they tire me.

I don't think you get my point.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 12:24am On Oct 27, 2017
Humility017:

guy relax......you should tell what performance your Martins has made thus far...that makes him ahead of the two above...including kayode and Paul...

you guys clamour for players sometimes that are of no use to the SE
I hope they know that Oboabona is doing very well in Saudi Arabia. We need him in that central defence

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 12:25am On Oct 27, 2017
soetanoreoluwa:

Last time Martins represented Nigeria in world cup.. How was his performance? Be sincere !

How matches did he start?

He was even played out of position when he was brought on in the second half.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 12:27am On Oct 27, 2017
mank1234:
If I were the coach, no player who didn't participate in the qualifier would make the squad to the world cup.
I believe in justice not equity and fairness.

Besides, between now and the time of the world cup some players would just put extra effort in the respective club just to make the squad not because they have much to offer nor are committed to the team.

Again, football is more a team sport than individual play. A top goal scorer in a club may struggle for country.
Well said. That's why I say top performers do get dropped.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 12:27am On Oct 27, 2017
soetanoreoluwa:

What did he offer in 2010 world cup? Remember he was very hot.. I can say he qualified us for World Cup...

He was sparingly played, and when he eventually played, he was played out of position.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 12:28am On Oct 27, 2017
soetanoreoluwa:

And you remember he was very angry for sitting on bench... He had issues with Lars
I'l confess that i've not heard of it. Even then. Its possible.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 12:29am On Oct 27, 2017
Rohr is the coach. He is an expert. He knows what is good for the team when he sees it.. There will be competitive games..and if Martins score hat-trick against Spain for example, then who are we to talk about what he did 8 years ago? Why KC (for example) no stand up to the heat?

Seriously I'm not even calling for the inclusion of Martins. But IF Rohr invites him, I have no reason to be scared because he deserves the invite. I expect the likes of KC to outdo him. Martins have been benched before, and he can be benched again. But should he surprise me, then he has more to offer that we think.

The problem is what is causing all this Martins talk is stemmed from some rubbish report without substance. Let's go to sleep.

junnyjake:

You should know I was exaggerating.

I was trying to make you see that performance in the camp can lead us into making a superficial choice.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by soetanoreoluwa(m): 12:30am On Oct 27, 2017
Mujtahida:

If not for that South Africa loss the man was driving on a fast lane to reduce the average age of the team. Wait ooo did Martins score 10 goal last weekend? I don't understand oo. Why didn't they clamour for him during the qualifiers. At least Enyeama's name has not left our lips since the qualifiers began even before Ikeme's challenge. But I didn't hear pim about Martins then but now trumpets are blaring.

Seriously.. It is funny... I think sth is wrong somewhere.. When we are having issues of not qualifying for AFCON twice nobody care about the team...even wen we enter group of death people write us off... Nobody mention Yak or Martins or uche or osaze... We con qualify we started to hear different names why now?

All, talking about things they will bring into team
.what are they bring that these current players are not bringing...

Thank God osaze has stopped scoring goals in Indonesia league or else

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 12:31am On Oct 27, 2017
soetanoreoluwa:

I felt bad for him... He was sent out of the hotel by oliseh with security men.. Can you imagine?
Unless oliseh is inhuman, he deserves an apology.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 12:32am On Oct 27, 2017
Oboa wetin? well if he like he can come and fight for shirt. I doubt he will succeed haha

Mujtahida:

I hope they know that Oboabona is doing very well in Saudi Arabia. We need him in that central defence
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 12:34am On Oct 27, 2017
I never clamored for him. And i'm not now.. but you guys are feeding off of some headlines and are now making it an issue.. if u guys didnt take that stupid report seriously nobody will be talking of Martins.

Mujtahida:

If not for that South Africa loss the man was driving on a fast lane to reduce the average age of the team. Wait ooo did Martins score 10 goal last weekend? I don't understand oo. Why didn't they clamour for him during the qualifiers. At least Enyeama's name has not left our lips since the qualifiers began even before Ikeme's challenge. But I didn't hear pim about Martins then but now trumpets are blaring.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 12:38am On Oct 27, 2017
soetanoreoluwa:

Almost all the players had issues with Lars and that was why Lars said only a Nigerian coach can handle our national team. This was what he said when resigned offer to continue as the coach.

I remembered Odenwinge said Oyinbow na Oyinbo after the local coach was sacked and had trained with Lars.

The same Odenwinge blamed the Oyinbo for partial selection of players and bad performance.

My point is Lars had issues with almost all the players.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 12:38am On Oct 27, 2017
forgiveness:

Ronaldo had won the world best player of year twice prior to that world cup. He was a tested, tried, trusted and experienced player.

With the little matches he played before chosen, he showed class.

That's what I am talking about. Performance, experience and talent. You can not buy those in the market.

Then, Ronaldo was better than Romario.

Who is better than Martins in our team currently? grin

Ronaldo was not better than Romario. No be una dey use stats? Romario was playing and in form too for Vasco da Gama. Ronaldo hadn't played football for two years. There was no stats for Ronaldo to compare with that of Romario. If Ronaldo had history, Romario also had history and as a World Cup winner sef. But the coach picked Ronaldo. Point is it goes beyond performance sometimes
Who is Martins better than? Between Martins and Ighalo who is raving in China?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 12:39am On Oct 27, 2017
Joebie:
Oboa wetin? well if he like he can come and fight for shirt. I doubt he will succeed haha

Be like you see boar kon shout in name! You've been objective about the Martins invite with your prev post up there. That's what i want us to understand, and not this age thing. My last post on this Martins issue!! Beta talk- Nacho to face man city in efl cup q/final.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 12:39am On Oct 27, 2017
Well seriously I'm tired of the them say news.. You know I use to just copy and post stuff from OGN, ANS etc.. These days I screen what I post. If there is no credible source or quotes I ignore. Because arguing based on just dem say is a waste of time.. Remember how the Tammy issue went..Was I not right? That issue gulped over 10 pages then, just because people ran away with the headline and didn't try to decipher the substance. We are doing this again with this Martins and Oboabona issue.

Is it not even unthinkable that some unnamed people in the NFF are making noise about Enyeama.. and trying to push for Martins? na today Rohr start to hold talks with Enyeama.. yeye news!

junnyjake:

I don't think you get my point.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 12:42am On Oct 27, 2017
Okay better we change the subject. It should not even be a national debate in the first place. let's not fall to the antics of those lazy reporters.

daveP:
Be like you see boar kon shout in name! You've been objective about the Martins invite with your prev post up there. That's what i want us to understand, and not this age thing. My last post on this Martins issue!! Beta talk- Nacho to face man city in efl cup q/final.

(1) (2) (3) ... (1920) (1921) (1922) (1923) (1924) (1925) (1926) ... (16227) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 5 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.