Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,521 members, 7,819,873 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:30 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (2472) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11697920 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2469) (2470) (2471) (2472) (2473) (2474) (2475) ... (16159) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 2:13pm On Dec 28, 2017
PROVERBZ:
does this mean that their is a plan on ground to fix the abuja stadium??

The ground is not that bad. They will fix the pitch before the game.

I suppose, that will be our farewell game. The Uyo fans deserve it more.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by kennysville(m): 2:14pm On Dec 28, 2017
Mujtahida:

Amokachi was not tearing anything in Belgium. He joined super eagles while he was in ranchers bees of kaduna. He later went to Belgium. Siasia was warming the bench in Belgium. Kog45 has given a list of the club's the golden generation were playing in and they were all average players playing for average teams. Some were not even playing. They were permanent bench warmers. When i pointed it out to you the last time you said now is not 94 but here you are hyping amokachi. You guys hammering on the fact that our team is average don't understand what a team is all about. Its the same mentality that gets Nigerians hooked to certificates. We need a team with a winning mentality. That's all that matters. The story of the rabbit (stellar player/team) and the tortoise (average player/team) comes to mind.

just to correct that impression, Amokachi was in club Brugge and was their top scorer. I cant speak for when he was in everton. Racism was rife with Joe Royle preferring Duncan Ferguson in the attack. He may not have had the numbers there in everton. But when in belgium he was the hitman for club brugge

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 2:29pm On Dec 28, 2017
kennysville:

just to correct that impression, Amokachi was in club Brugge and was their top scorer. I cant speak lor when he was in everton. Racism was rife with Joe Royle preferring Duncan Ferguson in he attack. He may not have had the numbers there in everton. But when in belgium he was the hitman for club brugge
Thanks for the correction. My point though was to buttress what you earlier said about the team being average. I have argued that we always have had teams populated by average players. I want excellent players but we have to make do with what we have.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by junnyjake(m): 2:45pm On Dec 28, 2017
tbaba1234:

The person who mentioned 'maybe 6 months' was the Anderlecht coach, Hein without medical confirmation.

Thankfully, it is not that bad.

He has finally gotten a reason to drop him, expect him to go about that enthusiastically.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 2:46pm On Dec 28, 2017
Mujtahida:

I once asked on this thread why we have not produced players like Messi or ronaldo. I was told that its the Nigerian factor. But I really don't believe that is the reason. We have simply not just produced players of that calibre. Such talent cannot consistently be killed off by the Nigerian factor. One or two must break out. The reason they have not is simply that they are not available. Our footballing gene has not matured to produce such players.

I beg to differ, its all about TIME AND CHANCE. If you recall the great Brazil once had a Ronaldo, Rivaldo and Ronaldinho all at once, each player on his own capable of changing the outcome of a match. Apart from Neymar today who else? The number of academies in Brazil have tripled since then, but how many players of such quality have they produced. Spain set up a system and philosophy in the early 90's, it was not until the early to mid 2000's technicians like Xavi and Iniesta emerged that fit that system, England had Owen, Gerrard, Lampard, Beckham, Terry, scholes in a generation, how many do they have today? Their academies are many but how many are emerging? Belgium did not do anything special but they are currently dripping with talents. Germany right now does not have players in the calibre of messi or Ronaldo but they have an efficient and effective team. Closer to home ivory coast had a golden generation brimming with talent, how many do they have now? "The battle is not for the strong, the race is not for the swift nor is riches for a man of wisdom, TIME AND CHANCE happens to all"

10 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by realpoacher(m): 2:49pm On Dec 28, 2017
goldfish80:

Hope you know we didn't win the world cup in 1994?

That 94 team had their problems, from wrong tactics, nativity at times, poor game management, name it.....

We We actually had a chance to win that world cup but we bungled it. But hey,we came back with the "most entertaining team " trophy and we are ok with it.

As far as I'm concerned, it was inexcusable to loose against 10 men Italian team from a winning position.
If we had scaled the Italian test, next in line would have been an underachieving Spain. I have no doubt in my mind that we would have taken them out (we won them in 1998 with a badly beat up team). In the semi final, we would have faced Bulgaria. The same team we whipped 3:0 in the group stages. The final against a very beatable Brazil. Recall the USA with a team of part timers and musicians exposed that Brazilian team after Leonardo's red card.
We missed a trick in 94.

This once more brings me to the question of inform players. Emanuel Amuneke was our most inform and hottest prospect in 94, the Italians understood this and they took him out. Immediately this happened our attack was shut down. We basically managed just 1 shot on target all game.
I don't think this would have been the case if our attackers we in form as you have pointed out.

If these guys we have now , know they are undroppable, there won't be motivation for excellence.
The Nff gave them a semifinal target, if they are ready to meet that target, then they should start working.
Getting a new club this January will be a step in the right direction. Otherwise, it will be 94 all over again

Hmmmmm,... Now I am forced to agree with you. Honestly I now see the angle you are coming out from.

Truly we have a very big and deep rooted problem on our hands that calls for a radical different approach from our grassroots developmental football.

This problem, I do not see a solution to under 6 months to the world cup. There is no way in hell we can get our players firing on all cylinders before the the world cup.

So what should we do?

Asking them to force the hands of their respective clubs for a loan or transfer move is not a sure solution as no one can guarantee that they will hit form at their next destination.

To me, instead of the hue and cry about their non performance. They should be encouraged to work hard in training in order to keep shape and deliver for us in the GWG!

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by junnyjake(m): 3:00pm On Dec 28, 2017
Five Super Eagles players who need January loan moves
Jide Alaka

The January transfer window will open in three days and it must be a window of opportunity for some Super Eagles players desirous of being in Gernot Rohr’s 23-man squad to feature at the 2018 FIFA World Cup that kicks off in Russia on June 14.

The mix of these 23 players who will be in Russia is still fluid in Rohr’s thinking with insiders revealing the German trainer has six to eight vacant places left to fill. Some of the players who featured in the qualifiers are not sure bets for Russia 2018 on account of not getting enough minutes at their various club sides so the transfer window in January will be very important.

Here are six players who need January loan moves:

Kelechi Iheanacho
Based on goal scoring stats, this should be a no-brainer, but the former U-17 World Cup MVP is not getting the minutes at Leicester City. After his £25 million summer move from Manchester City, Iheanacho has played just 555 minutes in the EPL and in the Carabao League Cup, EFL Trophy, and with the U-21 side in PL 2. He has scored just twice.
But for Nigeria, he played six matches in 2017 – three friendlies and three 2018 World Cup qualifiers, and he scored four goals. Between now and the World Cup, the Super Eagles will play five friendly matches, which are not enough to keep Iheanacho sharp for matches against Croatia, Iceland, and Argentina.

There are teams in the EPL looking for a proven goal poacher or even teams outside of England. He must play consistently between January and May to have a place in Gernot Rohr’s 23-man squad not to talk of a starting shirt!

Ahmed Musa
One of the assistant captains of the Super Eagles, Ahmed Musa’s time at Leicester has become catatonic. When he transferred from CSKA Moscow in 2016, we thought he would be Jamie Vardy’s competition but now he is not even making the bench under Claude Puel. Musa has not featured for Leicester in the EPL this season but has played 448 minutes for the U-21 side in PL 2 and in the EFL Cup, scoring three goals.

This club form has carried over to the Super Eagles where he has become a fringe player with the likes of Moses Simon and Alex Iwobi ahead of him in Rohr’s thoughts. Musa is still the only Nigerian player to have scored twice in one match at the World Cup, and at 25, still has a lot more productive years ahead. There were rumours he would make the switch to Hull City, but the manager, his former manager at CSKA, Leonid Slutsky, has been sacked.

Vincent Enyeama
One position the Super Eagles do not boast a sure starter is between the posts. Former No.1, Enyeama, is back training with Rohr casting furtive glances at the Eagles centurion. But, if he wishes to be in Russia, the place is definitely available, the question is if he wants to be there. If he pursues a loan move in January from Lille, it would be a pointer to his ambition of coming out of international retirement with Rohr waiting with open arms.

Brown Ideye
The central striker started the World Cup qualifiers but has since fallen on hard times at Chinese side, Tianjin Teda. With Henry Onyekuru likely to miss the World Cup because of injury, Ideye could still get on the plane but he needs to sort out his transfer quickly. A proposed move to La Liga side, Alaves, is said to have broken down but in a recent interview, the 29-year-old revealed to Score Nigeria, “What happened in China happened, I still have two years left on my contract there, but I am looking forward and hopefully I will soon get myself a good offer and focus on playing again.”

Isaac Success
A lot of promise is going to waste here. Rohr actually rates Success very highly and any sort of good form between January and April will convince the German to include the 21-year-old because he offers a lot of options for the team’s attack. A bundle of power, pace, and trickery, Success can operate across the front lines but he needs to be match-fit and focused to get in the 23. A loan move in January to teams like Brighton; Huddersfield would see him get the minutes and sharpness to convince Rohr. Success has played just once this season – an EFL Cup encounter against Bristol City in which he scored.

Premium times.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by nelszx: 3:07pm On Dec 28, 2017
tbaba1234:
Eagles World Cup Build-up Programme

March 23 Friendly vs Poland

March 27 Friendly vs another World Cup-bound team

May 27 Friendly in Abuja

June 2 Friendly vs another World Cup-bound team

June 6 Final warm-up match

June 2nd: England vs Nigeria
June 6th: A good team who didn't qualify for the WC (Amaju has mouth from both sides of *head*)
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 3:08pm On Dec 28, 2017
tbaba1234:

The ground is not that bad. They will fix the pitch before the game.

I suppose, that will be our farewell game. The Uyo fans deserve it more.
like all the three home games plus friendlies is not enough

Abeg make boys dem come see Buhari collect small change before dem go grin

Hopefully, I will make it for that Abuja game
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by joseph1013: 3:17pm On Dec 28, 2017
Mujtahida:

You can't be definitive on the sack thing. He might be sacked. It's a possibility but slim even at that because the WC is not the only element in his contract. Getting us to the next afcon is the other element. And the nff last month signed a two year contract extension with rohr. For the sake of our football I pray the team performs well.

On your second paragraph without comparing the individual ball playing abilities of this team and their predecessors when have we ever had players in a WC year tearing up leagues? To me on the whole our team has always been made up of average players with some little sprinkling of star dust here and there.
Can we have a bet on it?

Rohr WILL be sacked if we don't qualify from that group.

Wanna bet? No time for stories, bro.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 3:19pm On Dec 28, 2017
jihday:
so because mbappe is highly rated now, does it mean he's better than Griezman

Bebeto was no Griezman and Ronaldo was way better than Mbappe was then
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by nelszx: 3:40pm On Dec 28, 2017
NFF announce Super Eagles World Cup build-up timetable, 5 top friendlies lined up

Super Eagles have a busy schedule leading up to Russia 2018

The Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) have announced a timetable for the build-up of the Super Eagles ahead of the 2018 World Cup in Russia.

The timetable will see the Eagles play five warm-up matches before they open their Russia 2018 campaign on June 16 against Croatia.

NFF president Amaju Pinnick has informed that the team will play two friendlies in March.

It is believed that the first game in March will be against another World Cup-bound team Poland on March 23.

The Eagles will then play another friendly against another team who will feature at the World Cup four days later.

The three-time African champions are then scheduled to play another warm-up game on May 27 at the Abuja National Stadium with Nigerian President Muhammadu Buhari expected to be special guest.

The Eagles, according to Pinnick, will then play two other friendlies on June 2 and June 6.

Three Lions of England will most likely be one of the teams Nigeria will face in June.

He said the June 2 game will be against another team who will be at the World Cup, while the final friendly on June 6 will be against a good team, who will not be in Russia.

The Eagles will open their Russia 2018 campaign on June 16 against Croatia.

May 27 Friendly in Abuja

http://scorenigeria.com.ng/2017/12/28/nff-announce-super-eagles-world-cup-build-up-timetable-5-top-friendlies-lined-up/

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 3:43pm On Dec 28, 2017
tbaba1234:
Players that are likely to play for Nigeria if approached

i. Iorfa
ii. Ejaria
iii. Tosin Kehinde
iv. Tomori
V. Ebere Eze
vi. Dessers

Players that are uncertain/unlikely
i. Adarabioyo
ii.Solanke
iii. Onomah
iv.Tammy
v. Uduokhai

I would add to that list of likely to play for Nigeria

Seyi Ojo
Bobby Adekanya
Ademola Lookman

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 3:43pm On Dec 28, 2017
realpoacher:

Hmmmmm,... Now I am forced to agree with you. Honestly I now see the angle you are coming out from.

Truly we have a very big and deep rooted problem on our hands that calls for a radical different approach from our grassroots developmental football.

This problem, I do not see a solution to under 6 months to the world cup. There is no way in hell we can get our players firing on all cylinders before the the world cup.

So what should we do?

Asking them to force the hands of their respective clubs for a loan or transfer move is not a sure solution as no one can guarantee that they will hit form at their next destination.

To me, instead of the hue and cry about their non performance. They should be encouraged to work hard in training in order to keep shape and deliver for us in the GWG!

they certainly will work hard in training but that is different. See no matter how good you were during clinicals with cadavers and stuff, the very first day you have to partake in an actual surgery you will be tensed up and you most definetly will make mistakes, that's why we still have to go through a long period of residency so that you can get enough experience. Trust me even those of us with distinctions in medicine and surgery could hardly remember the first step in dissection on that day, not that the talent wasn't there, but we lacked on-the-job experience. This is why I like players who are playing, who are going through the main thing and not just training without pressure

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 3:47pm On Dec 28, 2017
soetanoreoluwa:

Quite a lot of games ?like how many?

I actually do not know specifically.

But I make the assumption that he is not in the first team as a regular. Therefore to remain fit he will play all the U23 games available to him. Particularly when he is not even on the subs bench.

That could easily be apart barring injury upwards of 7/8 games.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 3:58pm On Dec 28, 2017
soetanoreoluwa:

Yes leeds might be playing good football more than everton all am looking at is marketablity of him

And seeing good clubs to buy him after he started performing brilliantly ...

We have seen alot of Nigeria players like Aluko, Odion and other doing very well in championship and still they get overlooked...

He should stay and fight for his shirt then get out of England... Playing top flight football is the way forward my opinion....

Perish the thought but what if he can not cut it at Leicester. Each day his rating is going down.

Currently he is not better than Mahrez, Grey and Varde considering the roles they play and thier individual attributes.

Even the second choice striker Okazaki brings more hustle and bustle to the table than KC. They are different types of players but I would say Okazaki is more suited to Leicester style of play. Then you have the 3rd choice Slimani who has more pedigree than KC is still struggling to get on the bench.

To me his options are reducing by the day the more he stays inactive.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elyte89: 4:04pm On Dec 28, 2017
tbaba1234:

May 27 Friendly in Abuja

Most of d plans av not yet been confirmed

Abi is dere a nation DT now bears "ANOTHER WORLD CUP-BOUND TEAM" grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by joseph1013: 4:09pm On Dec 28, 2017
Mujtahida:

You can't be definitive on the sack thing. He might be sacked. It's a possibility but slim even at that because the WC is not the only element in his contract. Getting us to the next afcon is the other element. And the nff last month signed a two year contract extension with rohr. For the sake of our football I pray the team performs well.

On your second paragraph without comparing the individual ball playing abilities of this team and their predecessors when have we ever had players in a WC year tearing up leagues? To me on the whole our team has always been made up of average players with some little sprinkling of star dust here and there.
On your second point, the form of the '94 squad cannot be compared with this one.

Yekini was a top scorer at Olympiakos
Amuneke was at Sporting.
Amokachi at Club Brugge
Okocha at Frankfurt
Adepoju at Santander at La Liga

In fact save for Keshi, the first team was filled with players playing REGULARLY for their teams in Europe.

That team was solid. It was not for nothing that everywhere you go in the world, it's the members of that team that foreigners keep asking you about.

Even player for player, the '98 team was more solid player for player than this present team.

So it's only someone who has not followed the Eagles for long that agrees that all we've ever had are average players.

But that's a distraction. This team is my favourite team. And it's because of the unity and love they exhibit.

I'm 80% certain we will qualify from that group. And 50% we'll get to the semi finals. And it's all because they play for each other.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 4:35pm On Dec 28, 2017
goldfish80:

That 94 team had their problems, from wrong tactics, nativity at times, poor game management, name it.....

We We actually had a chance to win that world cup but we bungled it. But hey,we came back with the "most entertaining team " trophy and we are ok with it.

As far as I'm concerned, it was inexcusable to loose against 10 men Italian team from a winning position.
If we had scaled the Italian test, next in line would have been an underachieving Spain. I have no doubt in my mind that we would have taken them out (we won them in 1998 with a badly beat up team). In the semi final, we would have faced Bulgaria. The same team we whipped 3:0 in the group stages. The final against a very beatable Brazil. Recall the USA with a team of part timers and musicians exposed that Brazilian team after Leonardo's red card.
We missed a trick in 94.

This once more brings me to the question of inform players. Emanuel Amuneke was our most inform and hottest prospect in 94, the Italians understood this and they took him out. Immediately this happened our attack was shut down. We basically managed just 1 shot on target all game.
I don't think this would have been the case if our attackers we in form as you have pointed out.

if these guys we have now , know they are undroppable, there won't be motivation for excellence.
The Nff gave them a semifinal target, if they are ready to meet that target, then they should start working.
Getting a new club this January will be a step in the right direction. Otherwise, it will be 94 all over again
These players know what is at stake. I say this because of the fact that for the first time in a long while we have a team with players jostling for positions even in that gk dept (its just that they don't inspire confidence). So none of the players will rest on their oars. A while ago we looked thin at the full back positions now we are feeling the pain knowing that some players in the full back positions might be dropped. I have watched rohr say that the team needs to improve constantly and he said this long before we got the WC ticket.

Apart from iheanacho, balogun and musa who are the players not playing regularly in their respective clubs? But the impression given by you was that we have a team of average players who are worse still warming the bench in their clubs. Mike, ighallo, vicmo, Moses Simon, iwobi, ogu, shehu, aina, ebuehi, onazi, ndidi, agu, ekong, omeruo, awaziem, etebo, nwakaeme and most if not all the fringe players play regularly for their clubs.

While I agree about the work thing, I'd rather not say they should START working hard but CONTINUE working hard.

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by junnyjake(m): 4:48pm On Dec 28, 2017
komekn:

Perish the thought but what if he can not cut it at Leicester. Each day his rating is going down.

Currently he is not better than Mahrez, Grey and Varde considering the roles they play and thier individual attributes.

Even the second choice striker Okazaki brings more hustle and bustle to the table than KC. They are different types of players but I would say Okazaki is more suited to Leicester style of play. Then you have the 3rd choice Slimani who has more pedigree than KC is still struggling to get on the bench.

To me his options are reducing by the day the more he stays inactive.

You buy a player for £25 million, you can't give him 90 minutes games back to back to prove his worth. You give him cameos and expect him to score hattricks.

Whether you like it or not, there's always a bias. Vardy was firing blanks early last season, he wasn't sent to the bench, Slimani was helping to head in goals for them, how was he rewarded Vardy was played until he got his form back.

The coach ain't ready to give Nacho/Musa chance to show what they can offer, if they like they sweat blood in training. Puel's mind is made up already. No amount of hard work can change their fortunes at the moment.

Musa even scored a goal in the Corabao cup earlier this season and that didn't eggs him a place on the bench, what does that tells you.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 4:55pm On Dec 28, 2017
Just to spice up our afternoon

Yugoslavia vs Nigeria 1998:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQbR-iR5jXI

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 4:55pm On Dec 28, 2017
Nigeria: Omeruo, Nwakaeme, Olanrewaju May Miss World Cup in Russia

2018 FIFA World Cup Russia

By Christian Okpara

Unless his club form improves tremendously, Brazil 2014 World Cup star, Kenneth Omeruo will not make Nigeria's squad to next year's edition of the Coupe du Mundo. Also in danger of missing the party are Anthony Nwakaeme and Kayode Olanrewaju, both of who were in the fringes of the squad during the Russia 2018 World Cup qualifying series.

The Guardian has gathered that Coach Gernot Rohr has a 33-man list from which he will select his final 23 players for the World Cup.According to some insiders at the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF), Rohr already has his first 15 players and will determine the remaining eight spots through the various friendly games lined up for the Super Eagles as preparatory matches for Russia 2018.

Omeruo, Nwakaeme and Olanrewaju are in the list, but sources close to Rohr say they are among the eight who must prove why they should be in the squad to Russia during the friendly games.Former Super Eagles stalwart, Obafemi Martins and Ramon Azeez are said to be on the fringes of the team and could only get serious attention if any of the players that featured in the qualifiers got tournament threatening injury. Goalkeeper Vincent Enyeama's case is slightly different as his inclusion depends on what he does at the club level before the final World Cup list is made.

Confirmed - Onyekuru to Miss Russia 2018
Injury May Force Onyekuru to Miss Russia 2018
In Coach Rohr's 33-man list are goalkeepers Ikechukwu Ezenwa, Daniel Akpeyi and Francis Uzoho. Vincent Enyeama is on standby.The defenders are Elderson Echiejile, Shehu Abdullahi, Ola Aina, William Troost Ekong, Leon Balogun, Tyronne Ebuehi, Bryan Idowu, Chidozie Awaziem and Kenneth Omeruo.Skipper John Obi Mikel leads the midfield, which has also Wilfred Ndidi, Ogenyi Onazi, John Ogu, Mikel Agu, Ogenekaro Etebo and Alex Iwobi, while in attack are Odion Ighalo, Kelechi Iheanacho, Ahmed Musa, Victor Moses and Moses Simon.

Others are Henry Onyekuru, Kayode Olanrewaju and Anthony Nwakaeme.At the Brazil 2014 World Cup, Nigeria listed three goalkeepers, eight defenders, five midfielders and seven attackers in a squad criticised for being too light in some areas, especially the defence and midfield.

Now, Rohr must decide the type of players he wants in his final squad, but there are indications that he may opt for players that can play multiple roles for the team.According to the source, some of the players already assured of inclusion in the final squad barring any serious injury are Mikel, Alex Iwobi, Victor Moses, Troost-Ekong, Leon Balogun, Ogenyi Onazi, Ikechukwu Ezenwa, Ola Aina, Shehu Abdullahi, Odion Ighalo, Kelechi Iheanacho, Oghenekaro Etebo, Wilfred Ndidi and Ahmed Musa.

"Coach initially put Henry Onyekuru down as an alternative source of goals, but the boy is now injured and may not be fit enough for the challenges of the World Cup."The plot will become clearer when we start the friendly matches next year. That will be when such players as Brown Ideye and Ugah will get the last opportunity to stake their claims to the team," the source said.

Onyekuru's coach at Anderlecht yesterday revealed that the on-loan Everton star has been ruled out for the rest of the season with a serious knee injury.

The striker suffered the injury against former club Eupen on December 22.Recent scans show the injury to be more serious than initially suspected.

"He could be out for as long as six months," Anderlecht coach, Hein Vanhaezebrouck told reporters.It is a cruel blow for the 20-year-old, who had played in 19 league games and appeared in four Champions League matches for the Brussels outfit.He was given a run out in Nigeria's last World Cup qualifier in Algeria in November when he came on in the second half of the 1-1 draw and was hoping to make Gernot Rohr's final 23-man squad for Russia in June

http://c.newsnow.co.uk/A/917075601?-21310:11479:1
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 4:56pm On Dec 28, 2017

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 4:56pm On Dec 28, 2017
goldfish80:

We missed a trick in 94.

If these guys we have now , know they are undroppable, there won't be motivation for excellence.
I think you are being overly presumptuous that we could have won the world cup. Football is not mathematics where by if you beat mr A it doesn't necessarily mean you will defeat Mr B. Remember bulgaria that we defeated also beat Argentina so they are no guarantees we would have beaten them again.

Yes with hindsight we should have seen off the Italians but you make it sound as if the azzuri were completely rubbish. In my opinion it was tactical naivety and player irresponsibility (Okocha dribbling all over the place without purpose, oliseh's half hearted tackle that led to the Italians equalizer) that caused us that game not so much the loss of amunike and amokachii. After all they didn't do much before and after the goal.

I understand your concern that we go with the very best players that can represent us and the world cup and not sentimentally stick to who is not performing clubwise but who are the replacements?

Bro I know you want the best for the super eagles but don't allow too much skepticism to blind you to the potential of our team.

For sure our coach and players are not sacred cows that can't be criticized or questioned all some of us posters are saying is have a little faith at least our team deserves that much

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by joseph1013: 5:09pm On Dec 28, 2017
Icon4s:

This match! LOL. We had to run to bring back Rufai.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 5:17pm On Dec 28, 2017
Top Ten Most Influential Nigerian Players In 2017 (10-7) : Mikel, Martins, Obi & Simon

Published: December 28, 2017

Top Ten Most Influential Nigerian Players In 2017 (10-7) : Mikel, Martins, Obi & Simon
The fast-winding year had been a great one for most Nigerians who proved sensational enough in pulling off different grades of successes with the national team and their respective clubs to a quantum point in terms of performance evaluation.

With this piece, allnigeriasoccer.com would thus, run down the top ten most influential Nigerian players for the year 2017, the list detailing from below.

(10) Joel Obi — With glimpses of his eye-catching performances for Torino this season, there arose a wide outcry for the former Inter Milan playmaker to be called back to the national team fold and it is a no-brainer why.

The 26-year old midfielder who has two assists and two goals to go with in just 10 league appearances is one of the most creative players for The Maroons who sit tenth on the league table and it would be interesting to see him reprise that with the Super Eagles yet again.

(9) Obafemi Martins —Martins had an undoubtedly prolific season with Shanghai Shenhua, scoring seven goals in 1159 minutes from 13 Chinese Super League matches, though the highlight of his effervescence would come in the Chinese FA Cup where he inspired the Shanghai outfit to the title, scoring in both legs of the decider over Shanghai SIPG.

Super Eagles gaffer, Gernot Rohr had yet reiterated that the national team's door is still open to the 33-year old who last donned the green and white back in 2015, and it is little wonder why he continues to get a look-in.

(cool Moses Simon — The 22-year old attacker who is always full of tricks and feints was that good as Nigeria thumped every of their group opponents enroute to Russia.

Back in Belgium, the KAA Gent starlet is far from resting on his laurels, notching five goals and two assists for The Buffaloes who sit fifth on the Belgian First Division with European competition clearly in view.

Fast, fleet footed with a keen eye for goal, Simon is perhaps, his team's dependable trickster whenever he is in action.

(7) John Obi Mikel — The inspirational figure at the heart of this very successful Super Eagles side.

The Tianjin Teda man might no longer be a flashy No 10 but his ability to control proceedings from deep with a calm efficiency and astute reading of the game which is almost peerless.

Deployed in a free and advanced role for Nigeria during the qualification series, the Super Eagles's skipper has recently added goals to his toolkit, as he showed against Algeria and Cameroon.

But for his timely decisive contributions from midfield for his Chinese side, Teda Tigers might have been facing up
to relegation.

http://c.newsnow.co.uk/A/917097653?-21310:11479:1
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Posh(m): 5:29pm On Dec 28, 2017
forgiveness:

Published: December 28, 2017

The fast-winding year had been a great one for most Nigerians who proved sensational enough in pulling off different grades of successes with the national team and their respective clubs to a quantum point in terms of performance evaluation.

With this piece, allnigeriasoccer.com would thus, run down the top ten most influential Nigerian players for the year 2017, the list detailing from below.

(10) Joel Obi — With glimpses of his eye-catching performances for Torino this season, there arose a wide outcry for the former Inter Milan playmaker to be called back to the national team fold and it is a no-brainer why.

The 26-year old midfielder who has two assists and two goals to go with in just 10 league appearances is one of the most creative players for The Maroons who sit tenth on the league table and it would be interesting to see him reprise that with the Super Eagles yet again.

(9) Obafemi Martins —Martins had an undoubtedly prolific season with Shanghai Shenhua, scoring seven goals in 1159 minutes from 13 Chinese Super League matches, though the highlight of his effervescence would come in the Chinese FA Cup where he inspired the Shanghai outfit to the title, scoring in both legs of the decider over Shanghai SIPG.

Super Eagles gaffer, Gernot Rohr had yet reiterated that the national team's door is still open to the 33-year old who last donned the green and white back in 2015, and it is little wonder why he continues to get a look-in.

(cool Moses Simon — The 22-year old attacker who is always full of tricks and feints was that good as Nigeria thumped every of their group opponents enroute to Russia.

Back in Belgium, the KAA Gent starlet is far from resting on his laurels, notching five goals and two assists for The Buffaloes who sit fifth on the Belgian First Division with European competition clearly in view.

Fast, fleet footed with a keen eye for goal, Simon is perhaps, his team's dependable trickster whenever he is in action.

(7) John Obi Mikel — The inspirational figure at the heart of this very successful Super Eagles side.

The Tianjin Teda man might no longer be a flashy No 10 but his ability to control proceedings from deep with a calm efficiency and astute reading of the game which is almost peerless.

Deployed in a free and advanced role for Nigeria during the qualification series, the Super Eagles's skipper has recently added goals to his toolkit, as he showed against Algeria and Cameroon.

But for his timely decisive contributions from midfield for his Chinese side, Teda Tigers might have been facing up
to relegation.

http://c.newsnow.co.uk/A/917097653?-21310:11479:1
... Am thinking of d possibility of trying out a 3-4-2-1 formation against Poland..nd in oda friendlies
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 5:35pm On Dec 28, 2017
Icon4s:

Thank you Sir for showing us what poor goalkeeping can do to a team.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 5:39pm On Dec 28, 2017
chrisooblog:
I think you are being overly presumptuous that we could have won the world cup. Football is not mathematics where by if you beat mr A it doesn't necessarily mean you will defeat Mr B. Remember bulgaria that we defeated also beat Argentina so they are no guarantees we would have beaten them again.

Yes with hindsight we should have seen off the Italians but you make it sound as if the azzuri were completely rubbish. In my opinion it was tactical naivety and player irresponsibility (Okocha dribbling all over the place without purpose, oliseh's half hearted tackle that led to the Italians equalizer) that caused us that game not so much the loss of amunike and amokachii. After all they didn't do much before and after the goal.

I understand your concern that we go with the very best players that can represent us and the world cup and not sentimentally stick to who is not performing clubwise but who are the replacements?

Bro I know you want the best for the super eagles but don't allow too much skepticism to blind you to the potential of our team.

For sure our coach and players are not sacred cows that can't be criticized or questioned all some of us posters are saying is have a little faith at least our team deserves that much
Thank you,we lost to Italy due to tactical mistake from Westerhoff,Siasia and Ikpeba should have replaced injured Amokachie and Amuneke.

Apart from this Olishe blunder gave the match to Italy,Okocha too didn't help the situation by playing for the fun of the game,Yekini was off form,losing a great chance created by Mike Emenalo in the dying minutes of the match.

I hate to discuss this match cos till today am not happy we lost that match,very painful defeat that took a whole nation some years to get over it,just two minutes to quarter final.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 5:43pm On Dec 28, 2017
terzurum5:

Thank you Sir for showing us what poor goalkeeping can do to a team.

The goal keeping was atrocious. Still trying to recall that guy that kept in that 2nd half against Holland.

Awful.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 5:45pm On Dec 28, 2017
Icon4s:
Holland vs Nigeria 1998:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKud5Wv6SBI
Liki liki defence

These eagles weren't motivated.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 5:49pm On Dec 28, 2017
Icon4s:

The goal keeping was atrocious. Still trying to recall that guy that kept in that 2nd half against Holland.

Awful.
France 98 squad were overrated

(1) (2) (3) ... (2469) (2470) (2471) (2472) (2473) (2474) (2475) ... (16159) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Impeccable5248(m) and 11 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 141
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.