Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,616 members, 7,847,592 topics. Date: Saturday, 01 June 2024 at 09:41 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (818) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11846268 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (815) (816) (817) (818) (819) (820) (821) ... (16242) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 9:57pm On Apr 17, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

As long as Nacho works hard and keeps perfecting his craft, he will not expire. Players do not expire like that. Ask Lukaku.

Yes Lukaku left Chelsea and became relevant.

Infact that is a fantastic example. Hahahaha

He would have expired on the drilling pitch.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:58pm On Apr 17, 2017
Icon4s:

O may you live long sir!

Tell TheGoodJoe that Iheanacho is deteriorating due to lack of game time now him go set karate for you.

Film tricks. Players also deteriorate with game time. Players need to stay on their toes. Finito.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 10:00pm On Apr 17, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

Tell that to Iniesta who played regularly for Club and country at a young age. What of Xavi? Or Gerard or Scholes.

Young players have played instrumental roles in clubs. Iwobi needs to know that he needs to keep working hard to remain on top. No time for too much play.
Xavi and iniesta where never regulars for Barcelona till Deco/Ronaldinho left in 2006/07.
Gerrard was never a regular for England when he was young. He was not a regular at the 2002 world cup.
Young players easily get burnt out during the course of the season. It happens all the time. That is where you need an experienced team and manager to help pull him through.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:00pm On Apr 17, 2017
Icon4s:

Yes Lukaku left Chelsea and became relevant.

Infact that is a fantastic example. Hahahaha

He would have expired on the drilling pitch.

The point is that he did not deteriorate. He went somewhere and with a run of games, people saw he was good. Even his doubters saw it too.

With a run of games, Pogba showed class. Same with De Bruyne. This was a result of the hard work they put in before they moved. They were good because despite lack of game time, they kept working hard. Ask Mikel before Guus Hiddink came.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 10:01pm On Apr 17, 2017
Lazyerudite:

Well, it is either there is so much hype or the local teams are that bad. If you say Zesco is a big ten then I will not argue. But are they bigger than Ranger I mean, it seems our league is still growing or is outrightly poor. We don't even make any statement on the continent again. Same crap Kano pillars did some years back. It is better to say the truth even if it hurts so we can make corrections than give excuses and not improve. You can't give what you don't have. For us not have a good goalkeeper in the whole league that can step up to ikeme, or defenders and midfielders who can even stand out on the continent is not too good. How many home based players can make the current Super eagles bench? "

Rangers had not won the league in 32 years u can't compare them to Zesco who have won 5 of the last 10 league trophies. The NPFL has great talent but Salisu might not have the talent of finding diamonds in the rough.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 10:03pm On Apr 17, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

Pogba could not make match day squad a lot of time of Manchester United and hardly started a game. When he went to Juventus, he was head and shoulders over a lot of players who had regular game time.

Same goes to Pique who hardly had game time but went on loan to Zaragoza and was one of the best defenders in La Liga. He came back to Manchester United and hardly got game time, went to Barcelona and was a key player of the six title winning Barca squad.

Game time is misleading.
Pogba wasnt 'drilled' by sir alex giving him hope of entering starting 11. juve worked on his pass and shot accuracy and IMMEDIATELY tested him with a match, his coach just by what he saw gave him more game time and didnt stop there.(game time increased 4 pogba, even on the big stage) he moulded him til man u regretted 'letting a potential' go. SO PLS GAME TIME ISNT MISLEADING. DYU EVEN PONDER WHAT YOU WRITE SOMETIMES?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 10:04pm On Apr 17, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

James Rodriguez, Neymar and Ozil are recent examples of young players that took the World Cup with a raging storm. Maradona and Pele are too far.
These guys you mentioned had experienced players who played a decoy role for them to shine. Ozil had Schweisteger at the Base of his midfield while James had Falcao and even a 40 yr old Yepes as his captain. Totally different scenario to Kelechis.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 10:05pm On Apr 17, 2017
Okay naa.... then let us call back Martins, Yakubu, Emenike, Osaze and even Yobo.....

is that it?

The fact is Ighalo and co are just flashes in the pan... they are not up and doing... that is the fact... and Iheanacho is the best we have now... so that makes him a man.... coz he has shown he can actually Carry the team on his young shoulders.

And when Pele was leading Brazil's attack in the semis against Sweden in 1958.... and then in the final... you wanna tell me there was no older striker in that team?

You call the world cup a men's world cup... but being a man in a team is not just a function of age and experience... it is also a function of responsibility and how much one can actually deliver on the team's behalf... this is football... and we have seen youngsters step into the shoes of men and become men themselves despite their tender years.

goldfish80:

Nobody is belittling anyone. Its very convenient to mention Pele and cite Maradona but truth remains that the world cup is not exactly a playing ground for young lads. Italy had to recall a certain Del Piero and Totti to pilot their 2006 world cup ambitions. Even Germany recalled Miroslav Klose for the Brazil mundial. These are facts,if our older strikers were up and doing, Kelechi would have still be playing second fiddle to them.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:06pm On Apr 17, 2017
goldfish80:

Xavi and iniesta where never regulars for Barcelona till Deco/Ronaldinho left in 2006/07.
Gerrard was never a regular for England when he was young. He was not a regular at the 2002 world cup.
Young players easily get burnt out during the course of the season. It happens all the time. That is where you need an experienced team and manager to help pull him through.

How many matches has Iwobi played this season for Nigeria that it is the reason for him burning? Young players have seen games and remained at a high level. They are plenty. Players like Modric, James Rodriguez, Neymar etc.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 10:12pm On Apr 17, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

The point is that he did not deteriorate. He went somewhere and with a run of games, people saw he was good. Even his doubters saw it too.

With a run of games, Pogba showed class. Same with De Bruyne. This was a result of the hard work they put in before they moved. They were good because despite lack of game time, they kept working hard. Ask Mikel before Guus Hiddink came.

Lukaku was already deteriorating. Chelsea fans were already calling him trash.

He left and revived his career.

In the same way now iheanacho should leave before he deteriorates. Bc that period when he deteriorates it will affect his performances for the national team.

We need him playing ahead of the next WC Biko nu.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:13pm On Apr 17, 2017
goldfish80:

These guys you mentioned had experienced players who played a decoy role for them to shine. Ozil had Schweisteger at the Base of his midfield while James had Falcao and even a 40 yr old Yepes as his captain. Totally different scenario to Kelechis.

I disagree with the whole men talk. It has a lot to do with abilities. We have had young players outclassing older players in the World Cup repeatedly. Why make it because an old player is in the squad then it makes the younger players play better.

The fact is that if the young player is better, he will do well. There was no player better than Shweinstiger then. If there was a younger player better, he will play.

We still have Mikel, Onazi, Moses, Balogun, Echiejile who are not kids in the squad.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:17pm On Apr 17, 2017
Icon4s:

Lukaku was already deteriorating. Chelsea fans were already calling him trash.

He left and revived his career.

In the same way now iheanacho should leave before he deteriorates. Bc that period when he deteriorates it will affect his performances for the national team.

We need him playing ahead of the next WC Biko nu.

You can not judge a player's quality with a few games. Also, Lukaku played a wrong position in most games at Chelsea. On the wings. He was not deteriorating. The fans were just being fickle. I tried explaining it to them repeatedly but they would not listen.

Simple play him in his right role and give him five games. Then judge. What matters was the young man worked hard and got his chance to show how good he was. He did not and was not deteriorating at Chelsea.

We need Iheanacho improved. Playing time is misleading. Ask.. .
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:18pm On Apr 17, 2017
If we add Pa Enyeama to the squad, the team becomes Grand daddy.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 10:21pm On Apr 17, 2017
TheSuperNerd:
Abeg Egbon plsss chop knuckle jare..... ur head dey dia.... smiley

Hehehehe! Na d koko be that na.. no bi one yeye drill.. grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:22pm On Apr 17, 2017
daveP:
Pogba wasnt 'drilled' by sir alex giving him hope of entering starting 11. juve worked on his pass and shot accuracy and IMMEDIATELY tested him with a match, his coach just by what he saw gave him more game time and didnt stop there.(game time increased 4 pogba, even on the big stage) he moulded him til man u regretted 'letting a potential' go. SO PLS GAME TIME ISNT MISLEADING. DYU EVEN PONDER WHAT YOU WRITE SOMETIMES?

What are you saying? Do you know how many years Sir Alex Ferguson and his crew worked on Pogba. He was constantly groomed to become a king in Manchester United’s midfielder. You fill a few weeks at Juventus can create a monster like Pogba?

Pogba walked into Juventus first team. Pogba was already scoring long Rangers in Manchester United junior teams and giving brilliant passes in his early teens.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:23pm On Apr 17, 2017
daveP:

It is this kind of talk that made me Kung-fu one coach in Tokyo.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 10:28pm On Apr 17, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

grin grin grin grin grin grin

Thanks alot for the self-contradiction. you made my day!!!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 10:29pm On Apr 17, 2017
Sir DaveP.... leave the ring now!!!!!! shocked

don't worry... I will fight on your behalf ... Oya Sir GoodJoe... touch am ... make I see.... grin

**Yara Yara... get the karate girl and the action kids ready**

TheGoodJoe:

It is this kind of talk that made me Kung-fu one coach in Tokyo.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:33pm On Apr 17, 2017
TheSuperNerd:

don't worry... I will fight on your behalf ... Oya Sir GoodJoe... touch am ... make I see.... grin

I do not abuse women and children physically. If not I would have cracked ya skull with one fast kick.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 10:34pm On Apr 17, 2017
Sir Terzurum5.... biko forgive me if you have already posted this... I have to post this again..... that is if you have... wink
........................................................................................................

Fulham's Aluko Has Contributed To 20 Goals This Season After Scoring Against Aston Villa

Fulham strengthened their playoff chances after beating Aston Villa 3-1 at Craven Cottage on game week 43.

Nigeria national-teamer Sone Aluko helped Fulham to secure their third win on the bounce after netting his eighth goal in the second-tier on 56 minutes.

A cross found the winger and his volley hit Aston Villa goalkeeper Johnstone but still crossed the line, giving the Cottagers a crucial 2-1 lead in the process.

Aluko had a big chance to open the scoring for Fulham in the 17th minute but the goalkeeper made a magnificent save to deny him, and he saw his shot blocked in the 67th minute before drawing another save from the keeper with 11 minutes left on the clock.

The former Hull City and Rangers star has contributed to 20 goals (8 goals, 12 assists) in 42 appearances for Fulham this season.

Fulham, who occupy the last playoff spot, are back in action on Saturday when they travel to Huddersfield Town.

**Igho Kingsley

Photo Credit : fulhamfc.com

Source: http://allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=22750

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:36pm On Apr 17, 2017
daveP:

grin grin grin grin grin grin

Thanks alot for the self-contradiction. you made my day!!!

Not contradiction. It is just that people do not pay attention. I said a player develops himself on the training pitch and needs run of games to show his quality. I said at City, Nacho is going through development and with a run of games, we will see the improvement.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 10:38pm On Apr 17, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

How many matches has Iwobi played this season for Nigeria that it is the reason for him burning? Young players have seen games and remained at a high level. They are plenty. Players like Modric, James Rodriguez, Neymar etc.
You may not know but I will tell you, Wenger have been accused of over playing young players. Players like Wilshere, Ramsey, Walcot have suffered burn out as a result of being overplayed at a young age by Wenger. These guys have incurred long term injuries because of this. Even Fabregas suffered as a result of this. I recall Barcelona being alarmed at the number of games he had played in his short career (he was injured when he signed for Barcelona).
Arsenal employed the German physio Shad Forshyte to help their player's gain high fitness levels and recovery time. He has a way of calculating when a player is on the red zone (that's what they call it) in getting stress related injuries. Even Sanchez is either withdrawn or don't start at all if he's on the red zone.
Traveling to Africa for a guy like Iwobi takes it's toll on his body. You can't rule it out.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 10:41pm On Apr 17, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

What are you saying? Do you know how many years Sir Alex Ferguson and his crew worked on Pogba. He was constantly groomed to become a king in Manchester United’s midfielder. You fill a few weeks at Juventus can create a monster like Pogba?

Pogba walked into Juventus first team. Pogba was already scoring long Rangers in Manchester United junior teams and giving brilliant passes in his early teens.
Dont make me laugh pls. worked on him asin how? sotey you just said he "waltzed" straight into juve team? funny. just like manucho was worked on ba? pls, his long rangers and he was considered not good enough for a future man u that he wasnt fought over when juve came knocking? he was so good at juve that the black kid broke epl's transfer record 4a black player.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 10:42pm On Apr 17, 2017
Look at this blue belt holder...... grin

You think you stand a chance against my karate army?

Oya Karate girl... teach him the same lesson he taught that coach in Tokyo.... grin

TheGoodJoe:

I do not abuse women and children physically. If not I would have cracked ya skull with one fast kick.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 10:44pm On Apr 17, 2017
TheSuperNerd:

No need, il just do a raiders of the lost ark for him aka watch him display his skill and end it with a bullet grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:46pm On Apr 17, 2017
daveP:
Dont make me laugh pls. worked on him asin how? sotey you just said he "waltzed" straight into juve team? funny. just like manucho was worked on ba? pls, his long rangers and he was considered not good enough for a future man u that he wasnt fought over when juve came knocking? he was so good at juve that the black kid broke epl's transfer record 4a black player.

Pogba was always considered good enough. Alex Ferguson never wanted him to go. Manucho was already grown when he joined Manchester United. Pogba was a kid. I think thirteen. Two different scenarios. There was a lot of work in Pogba. There was eve a battle to secure his signature before he joined Manchester United.

Juventus benefited from the hard work Ferguson put in Pogba.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 10:49pm On Apr 17, 2017
Wow!!!!! wow!!!! chop knuckle My Good man.... grin

So you recall that scene in that Indiana Jones movie so well.... I love that part so much!!!!!

When I have a gun why will I waste time fighting you who got all the skills and moves on the world... a bullet to your head will just do... wink

Chaaaiiiiii... and I never thought I will meet someone who recalls that scene as much as I do ..... wow!!!!! cheesy

daveP:
No need, il just do a raiders of the lost ark for him aka watch him display his skill and end it with a bullet grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Lazyerudite: 10:56pm On Apr 17, 2017
BascoVanVeli:

Rangers had not won the league in 32 years u can't compare them to Zesco who have won 5 of the last 10 league trophies. The NPFL has great talent but Salisu might not have the talent of finding diamonds in the rough.
Chief, kindly name 10players that you think can make the Super eagles presently in our local League
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 11:01pm On Apr 17, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

Pogba was always considered good enough. Alex Ferguson never wanted him to go. Manucho was already grown when he joined Manchester United. Pogba was a kid. I think thirteen. Two different scenarios. There was a lot of work in Pogba. There was eve a battle to secure his signature before he joined Manchester United.

Juventus benefited from the hard work Ferguson put in Pogba.
you c y i said you made my day. someone so so valuable left m a free transfer. free transfer and you term that 'valuable'

i dont wana bring the racism side of the story into this, but if he was such an investment why let him walk away. even man u on social media admitted they neva considered him this valuable. the story is repeating with nacho.

the body language of a free transfer is too obvious.

(in the rock's voice) KEED MAKING MY DAY. grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 11:09pm On Apr 17, 2017
TheSuperNerd:
Wow!!!!! wow!!!! chop knuckle My Good man.... grin

So you recall that scene in that Indiana Jones movie so well.... I love that part so much!!!!!

When I have a gun why will I waste time fighting you who got all the skills and moves on the world... a bullet to your head will just do... wink

Chaaaiiiiii... and I never thought I will meet someone who recalls that scene as much as I do ..... wow!!!!! cheesy

Lol. never bring a sword to a gunfight. see on the previous page. he said game time isnt necessary to know how a player develops. now he is changing mouth with the term "run of games" chai grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by binhozie(m): 12:46am On Apr 18, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

What concerns me is Iheanacho becoming a better player in the near future. If rushing him to a team that will diminish him in the name of looking for goals and assists, I am wholeheartedly against it.

The whole game time thing has been blown of the map with Iwobi and Ighalo deteriorating with game time. It is misleading.

What is most important is Iheanacho's continuous development.

Yes but Musa has detoriated on the bench
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 12:48am On Apr 18, 2017
Loooollll.... Abeg thread softly softly biko.... he still has one of those his legendary KO punches.... wink

daveP:
Lol. never bring a sword to a gunfight. see on the previous page. he said game time isnt necessary to know how a player develops. now he is changing mouth with the term "run of games" chai grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (815) (816) (817) (818) (819) (820) (821) ... (16242) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: mowah, Napoleon55(m), waffiboi, Christinu2, solonnachi and 5 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.