Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,726 members, 7,816,986 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:14 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (4556) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11661049 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (4553) (4554) (4555) (4556) (4557) (4558) (4559) ... (16150) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 9:58pm On Aug 19, 2018
BascoVanVeli:
Enyimba wins at the death. 3 big points away from home.

Great!!

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ucheo: 9:59pm On Aug 19, 2018
Djoliba 0 Enyimba1...scrappy match...Enyimba bossed possesion but has to thank their stars for the keeper..afolokai..dude is better than ezenwa.
Sunday and uwem are real class..Mfon udoh is way behind his prime

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 10:04pm On Aug 19, 2018
Bolowolowo:
From Joel Obi to Iwobi to Aina to Onyekuru to Ekong and many more, Nigerians have been excelling at the top leagues. With the exception of Senegal, no other African country can boast of this. Not even many European countries are blessed like us when it comes to football. We truly have something going on here.

Algeria, Mali, Morocco, ivory coast, DR Congo, Cameroun and even ghana says hi.

Boy we are not the only African side having it so good now oo. Infact, we no reach ivory coast for now sef.

Just c ivory Centre backs and their values; Baily, gbamin, Gnagnon, djidja, bamba etc all starters

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 10:15pm On Aug 19, 2018
James Igbekeme of Real Zaragoza, One to keep an eye on.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 10:29pm On Aug 19, 2018
Zaragoza fans hyping Igbekeme on his debut.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 10:30pm On Aug 19, 2018
ChrisKels:

Boy we are not the only African side having it so good now oo. Infact, we no reach ivory coast for now sef.

Just c ivory Centre backs and their values; Baily, gbamin, Gnagnon, djidja, bamba etc all starters

I respectively concede to your point and admit that there are other African countries doing well to. Good for CAF I guess.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 10:40pm On Aug 19, 2018
elyte89:

...mumu contract,such a lengthy contrqct is not good,y tie ursef down with huge release clause when u av d talent to move to a bigger club undecided
I don't think it's such a bad idea, any interested club will have to negotiate the release clause
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Earthquake1: 10:59pm On Aug 19, 2018
Bolowolowo:
From Joel Obi to Iwobi to Aina to Onyekuru to Ekong and many more, Nigerians have been excelling at the top leagues. With the exception of Senegal, no other African country can boast of this. Not even many European countries are blessed like us when it comes to football. We truly have something going on here.

The Pinnick +Rohr factor grin

6 Likes 4 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 11:00pm On Aug 19, 2018
here is his clips
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9QZ0mwx0I8, the guy is a very good playmaker, my only concern is his small frame but bobo is very good i must confess
tbaba1234:
Zaragoza fans hyping Igbekeme on his debut.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 12:10am On Aug 20, 2018
Leon Balogun brought something different following his introduction in the 20th minute in Brighton & Hove's 3-2 win over Manchester United in the Premier League on Sunday evening.

Apart from being praised by the well respected commentator, Andy Townsend, during the game at The American Express Community Stadium, four key stats prove that the Nigeria international had a big impact in the game, more than the other defensive-minded players that tasted action.

According to the stats gurus at OPTA, Balogun was the statistical leader in tackles, interceptions, clearances and blocked shots combined with 12.

The former Mainz star recorded 4 tackles, 3 interceptions, 5 clearances and zero blocked shots to place first ahead of second-placed Shane Duffy and Davy Pröpper who both totaled 8 each in the four stats.

Duffy, who partnered Balogun in central defense for 70 minutes, finished the game with 0 tackles, 2 interceptions, 4 clearances and 2 blocked shots, while Pröpper made 7 tackles, 1 interception and scored 0 in clearances and blocked shots.

Statistically, Manchester United's best defender today was Luke Shaw with 4 tackles, 2 interceptions and 1 clearance, followed by Ashley Young with 2 tackles and 4 clearances.

Balogun made a game-high five clearances, one more than Shane Duffy, Ashley Young, Paul Pogba and Victor Lindelöf

8 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 12:12am On Aug 20, 2018
ucheo:
Djoliba 0 Enyimba1...scrappy match...Enyimba bossed possesion but has to thank their stars for the keeper..afolokai..dude is better than ezenwa.

Mfon Udoh just came back from long term injury it will take him some time to return to form.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Earthquake1: 12:26am On Aug 20, 2018
Checks the time..

As of today Nigeria is officially banned from FIFA related activities

Walks out slowly..

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by DrLikita12(f): 12:32am On Aug 20, 2018
Highlights of the Enyimba game from CAF's Twitter handle:

https://twitter.com/CAF_Online/status/1031294901571477504?s=20

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 1:05am On Aug 20, 2018
Stephen Odey's Swiss cup brace.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69pKJbDEf5I
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 3:20am On Aug 20, 2018
Look, I don't wanna drag this into a ground that waters down Moses' achievements but let me make one thing clear.

Okocha was not among the leaders of that 94 Squad. And for crying out loud, that was our Bloody Golden Generation led by Keshi, Yekini, Iroha, Rufai, Eguavoen and co.... With talented youngsters like Oliseh, Okocha, Amokachi, Amuneke.

Have you forgotten that Yekini and Keshi were there and failed to qualify for the 1990 WC? Does that make their other achievements null and void??!

Mikel was part of our failures in 2015 and 2017. And so was Moses too in 2017 especially as he was the culprit for missing a clear chance created by Iwobi in kaduna that would have buried the game for good but he squandered it and The pharoah of Egypt, Salah went on to punish us for it with a late equaliser. Moses was part of our downfall Egbon. He was there when we failed and also when we soared. So stop your childish exemptions of him from our failures only to include others like Mikel and co.

I repeat, Moses was not the alpha and Omega of the Super Eagles and is also not the best Super Eagle in his era. He was one of our most outstanding during his time with us, YES! But that is where it ends.

Take a look at the future of the Super Eagles on the wings today that showed us a super sweet glimpse of what is to come in the coming months and years in the GWG. Henry Onyekuru's Awesome Audacity and Wicked Finishing in front of goal... Samuel Kalu's Awesome Wing plays, runs and crosses... Iwobi's MOTM-like showing for Arsenal... Etc... Our future with Moses would have been tastier but even without Moses, it still looks so good and hopefully, the FIFA hammer won't fall on us... Today, it is expected to fall but I trust all will be eventually sorted. Even DSS Operatives were (or are still are) at the NFF glass house to ensure that no invasion comes through from the Giwa camp.

Nigerian football is experiencing that new dawn I foresaw that inspired the title of this thread. smiley Just give it time... wink

forgiveness:

Was Okocha the leader before he distinguished himself to had made CAF team of the tournament after we won the 1994 AFCON?

How old was Okocha, Sunday Oliseh and Daniel Amokach then?

Despite Mikel been surrounded with players of higher caliber in those days, he could not do anything. Players like John Utaka, Peter Odenwingie, Taye Taiwo, Ike Uche, Martins, Obasi but after victor moses came in thinks changed. etc

The bolded is why I said Victor Moses is the alfar the omega because he played no part in our failure to qualify in 2015 and in 2017 he only played 1 and half match. Did Mikel not play in all the qualifiers yet we failed to qualify? Why?

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 3:46am On Aug 20, 2018
Joined via free transfer from Gil Vicente but already the toast of the fans. Been following the lad since I spotted his move to Zaragoza. He is just one of many I keep following and trying to keep close tabs on.

Even a young Nigerian forward named Taofiq Jibril debuted in the Portuguese top flight for Portimonense and he only joined them this summer from Vila Real also in Portugal.

Dem boku no be small. Even Adeleke made his debut for IK Start. I hope he convinces and leave that league abeg to a better one within the top 6 of Europe.

A certain Simon Ayo Okosun is also on my radar (I am certain you have also heard of him). Joined Midtjylland just this season but already a mainstay in their lineups. He is versatile as he plays CM, RW and recently started as A CF in their last game. Dude isso mightily tall (stands at 1.97m) and is Danish by nationality but still available for Nigeria. Sadly, his time won't come now as We have plethora of quality options in better leagues too. But his time may yet come... He is still just 25. But shaa... Time will tell.

Been (and still) keeping tabs on so many more like these... Prospects, uncapped or capped.. talented FBs.. and more... Just still occupied to come share them but I trust You and Chriskels are doing just enough. Alongside Charlesemeka85 too. wink

Honestly, this was a wonderful weekend for Nigerian Football. So happy seeing our Super Eagles players doing their thing and showing their stuff all around Europe especially within the Big 6 leagues.
I can't wait to see Rohr's first post-Russia Team list for the Seychelles game. smiley Something good is coming for our Super Eagles... The Dawn is close.

Hopefully, no ban news spoils this. cry

tbaba1234:

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 3:52am On Aug 20, 2018
Odey is coming into his own at FC Zurich this season. I pray he keeps this up and soon the likes of Basel or a better team may come for him. I saw the news of his brace hours before now and was so overjoyed for him. Still following up on his goals showing in the Super Cup game. Hopes he keeps the flag flying. wink

Even Afeez Aremu keeps doing well for IK start. He started and had a decent game at the base of a Midfield three. Adeleke Akinyemi (jersey no 77) also played. smiley

BascoVanVeli:
Stephen Odey's Swiss cup brace.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69pKJbDEf5I

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 3:56am On Aug 20, 2018
It was just a sweet relief to see Enyimba summon the Nzogbu Spirit of Old to secure this away win. Now they are tied at the top with CARA but with a goal difference of -1. CARA has +3. Enyimba's next game is CARA at home in Nigeria and I trust Enyimba should just get the job done. Well done the People's Elephants smiley

DrLikita12:
Highlights of the Enyimba game from CAF's Twitter handle:

https://twitter.com/CAF_Online/status/1031294901571477504?s=20

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 4:02am On Aug 20, 2018
How extensive is the ban? Would Enyimba still play in Africa?

The under 17 tournament would be off as well as the nations cup. That is a big disaster.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 4:03am On Aug 20, 2018
CIV only have it good when it comes to their Defenders and midfielders. The likes of Bailly, Joris Gnganon, Kessie, Seri (doing so well with Fulham although they have been losing), and co are truly fine quality.

Senegal have them too. Morocco ofcos.

But don't forget Guinea with Francois Kamano, Naby Keita, and even Amadou Diawara.

Africa is well represented across Europe especially from West, Central and North African regions in terms of abundance of quality talents.

ChrisKels:

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 6:28am On Aug 20, 2018
tbaba1234:

How old is he?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 6:34am On Aug 20, 2018
TheSuperNerd:
Joined via free transfer from Gil Vicente but already the toast of the fans. Been following the lad since I spotted his move to Zaragoza. He is just one of many I keep following and trying to keep close tabs on.

Even a young Nigerian forward named Taofiq Jibril debuted in the Portuguese top flight for Portimonense and he only joined them this summer from Vila Real also in Portugal.

Dem boku no be small. Even Adeleke made his debut for IK Start. I hope he convinces and leave that league abeg to a better one within the top 6 of Europe.

A certain Simon Ayo Okosun is also on my radar (I am certain you have also heard of him). Joined Midtjylland just this season but already a mainstay in their lineups. He is versatile as he plays CM, RW and recently started as A CF in their last game. Dude isso mightily tall (stands at 1.97m) and is Danish by nationality but still available for Nigeria. Sadly, his time won't come now as We have plethora of quality options in better leagues too. But his time may yet come... He is still just 25. But shaa... Time will tell.

Been (and still) keeping tabs on so many more like these... Prospects, uncapped or capped.. talented FBs.. and more... Just still occupied to come share them but I trust You and Chriskels are doing just enough. Alongside Charlesemeka85 too. wink

Honestly, this was a wonderful weekend for Nigerian Football. So happy seeing our Super Eagles players doing their thing and showing their stuff all around Europe especially within the Big 6 leagues.
I can't wait to see Rohr's first post-Russia Team list for the Seychelles game. smiley Something good is coming for our Super Eagles... The Dawn is close.

Hopefully, no ban news spoils this. cry

Good insight.

But let me pick on something. You said the dawn is close? Hahaha, I thought it has dawned already since like over 2 years ago? Why the postponement again?You don't trust the last dawn again?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by EEGA: 6:48am On Aug 20, 2018
The Ideal formation for the Super Eagles is 3-4-3 or 4-2-3-1 since we are now spoilt with options on the wings.

We need to play to our strength if we want to dominate Africa.

The only problem with our team is that we still lack a true no.10.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 6:50am On Aug 20, 2018
ucheo:
Good result for Enyimba and Afelokhai better than Ezenwa?well i can't really say but don't be surprised to see Ezenwa again making Rohr list
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheLoneCitizen(m): 7:13am On Aug 20, 2018
TheLoneCitizen:

Unfortunately I didn't see the crux of the argument, but I'm replying just this very statement.

Onyekuru is better than Victor Moses, mate.

If Onyekuru was eligible for another country like Belgium, this wouldn't even be an argument. You never value what you didn't fight for.

Better than Moses by a mile, tested in 3 leagues and yet still 21. Furthermore, he is ready to fight for the national jersey, immediately Galatasaray signed, his first statement was: "I want to break into the national team".

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 7:39am On Aug 20, 2018
tbaba1234:
How extensive is the ban? Would Enyimba still play in Africa?

The under 17 tournament would be off as well as the nations cup. That is a big disaster.

they should ban us for like 5 years.
since buhari and co are so scared to sack dalung...
I don't know the power the man now weeds that makes it impossible for him to be sacked.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 7:45am On Aug 20, 2018
I just don't understand African leaders. How can you be so narcissistic and self-centered that you are willing to halt the development of your nation's biggest athletic endeavor for the sake of aggrandizing your own power and other reasons not known to the general public.

Do these men not know how much football has helped our populace?

Our only joy in a grief stricken continent like Africa.

Our colonizers are not even this immoral to their populace.

I'm just so pained and flabbergasted. This is really tearjerking.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by gamaliel9: 7:46am On Aug 20, 2018
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Earthquake1: 7:50am On Aug 20, 2018
Humility017:

they should ban us for like 5 years.
since buhari and co are so scared to sack dalung...
I don't know the power the man now weeds that makes it impossible for him to be sacked.

Buhari doesn't sack his cohorts that's why he is still there

For people like Adeosun, IGP and Dalung to still be in government is a testament to that man's dullardness
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 8:12am On Aug 20, 2018
Enyimba is the only truly professional Club in Nigeria.
If you no gree, I dey my house. Come beat me.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 8:22am On Aug 20, 2018
Earthquake1:

Buhari doesn't sack his cohorts that's why he is still there

For people like Adeosun, IGP and Dalung to still be in government is a testament to that man's dullardness

I totally wrote that Dalung off after that his shockingly embarrassing "United State of Nigeria" episode with the Siasia's Olympic team.

That man has no business heading any ministry in Nigeria. It is a shame.

(1) (2) (3) ... (4553) (4554) (4555) (4556) (4557) (4558) (4559) ... (16150) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: mkrest(m), sojious, elyte89, lelion, foxman04 and 12 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.