Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,045 members, 7,821,592 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:26 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (6634) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11709586 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6631) (6632) (6633) (6634) (6635) (6636) (6637) ... (16161) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 12:48pm On Jul 16, 2019
BascoVanVeli:

Stop changing my words I said you don't like the player nothing was mentioned about hate. Nobody asked you to make a call for anybody. Someone else made the call and you were acting like the person was crazy.

Shehu has had more good games than bad. In fact I can't name a bad game he has had apart from maybe the Argentina friendly. All you people said "Shehu never goes forward but Awaziem played basically the same way and you are like what a great player so disciplined.

Spot on
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 12:50pm On Jul 16, 2019
Joebie:
I do not dislike the player either. My reasons are still valid. Are u the one saying the moniker was crazy? Shehu won’t have made any impact in that match. Period. Stop catching feelings

This is the problem when some of you guys hear new phrases you start using them anyhow. Which feelings dey here to catch? We are discussing football and you are talking about catching feelings for what?

Your reasons were baseless. You said he wasn't on form but he barely kicked a ball before being hurt so how do you know? If you don't think the player is good enough that means you don't like the player.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 12:52pm On Jul 16, 2019
Taliban:
Any feelers on tomorrow's game? Already getting jittery o, hope say we emerge the best loser tomorrow in the loser''s final. Cos those Tunisians are very good and compact o, na dem comet demselves from final with their unfortunate own goal. Also hope our boys are practising penalties too. Tomorrow's losers final is a must win so we can add to our bronze collection.

Go Eagles, soar high!!!!

I never see formation for the game tomorrow, please drop it like it's hot.
why you dey rub it in na cry
You wan dey whine us abi
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 12:52pm On Jul 16, 2019
Icon4s:

Did you watch Mikel's form against Burundi and Madagascar? He has lost touch. Even if you play him in the CM position it will still be a problem.

Etebo has been one of our best performing players in the tourney, he has played 90mins of all games. And you get to the semi-final, to play a very tough Algerian side and you bench him for a Mikel who we know has completely lost steam? Who does that?

I agree with you on this. No sane coach will change his midfield not even attack or defence, in a semifinal match. It just makes no sense.

However the other thing that doesn't make sense is the fact that he didn't sub in a midfielder for one of our two underperforming wingers. Chuks and Musa were poor, okay you want to sub in Onyekuru brilliant but then sub out the other guy Musa and put in another midfielder to wrestle control. That is what I think was the main problem, however his starting eleven was exactly what it should have been considering the other antecedents
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 12:53pm On Jul 16, 2019
He barely kicked a ball before being hurt? Tell me about it.

BascoVanVeli:

This is the problem when some of you guys hear new phrases you start using them anyhow. Which feelings dey here to catch? We are discussing football and you are talking about catching feelings for what?

Your reasons were baseless. You said he wasn't on form but he barely kicked a ball before being hurt so how do you know? If you don't think the player is good enough that means you don't like the player.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elyte89: 12:54pm On Jul 16, 2019
Anyway pinnick has spoken,he said d NFF board will stick with rohr @least till Aug 2020,when his contract expires...so peeps,drop dis who will replace rohr or not wink

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 12:58pm On Jul 16, 2019
If NFF is not hiring new assistants for Rohr then it’s a waste of time supporting the Eagles.

elyte89:
Anyway pinnick has spoken,he said d NFF board will stick with rohr @least till Aug 2020,when his contract expires...so peeps,drop dis who will replace rohr or not wink
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 12:59pm On Jul 16, 2019
TheGoodJoe:

Etebo has been the most reliable in destroying but what Curtisaxel7 is talking about is cohesive coordinated build up plays. Being a creator of the forward play. Moving Mikel to Central midfield would have giving us a creative balance in build up play which Etebo did not offer to a quality extent.

In hindsight possibly, but not based on Mikel's performance against Burundi. Oga no be everything we go blame Rohr. Mikel didn't come to play in this tournament, I guess he was more concerned with securing a fat check from Turkey so he wasn't in the game but we can't blame Rohr, Mikel forced Rohr's hands, and to make matters worse when he was subbed out Iwobi drafted in and the midfield made Kore sense. Cut Rohr that one abeg

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:59pm On Jul 16, 2019
Icon4s:

Mikel has lost steam. It is not about whether playing him as an AM or a CM. Do you also think should have played him against Algeria and not Etebo?

I do not know how else to explain it. Rohr set up the team in a conservative fashion, so he played with two destroyers. If he wanted to play in a possessive fashion, he would not need to play two destroyers and would have used Mikel to orchestrate play.

So my criticism is the system, not Mikel. Rohr’s conservative style held back our play.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 1:00pm On Jul 16, 2019
Icon4s:

Did you watch Mikel's form against Burundi and Madagascar? He has lost touch. Even if you play him in the CM position it will still be a problem.

Etebo has been one of our best performing players in the tourney, he has played 90mins of all games. And you get to the semi-final, to play a very tough Algerian side and you bench him for a Mikel who we know has completely lost steam? Who does that?

Na you dey talk this one shocked

Thank God you have finally seen the light smiley

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 1:02pm On Jul 16, 2019
forgiveness:

The only game I remembered Shehu did well was the match he won man of the match. The rest na wack.

I agree Shehu and Awaziem play the same way though Awaziem has an edge with his good passes but they are still in the same category. Both are not good enough for the RB position.

Awaziem does not pass better than Shehu, not even close. I mean for goodness sake Shehu is a midfielder. Passing is already implied. Y'all just do not like the fella

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 1:02pm On Jul 16, 2019
Mickael2:

In hindsight possibly, but not based on Mikel's performance against Burundi. Oga no be everything we go blame Rohr. Mikel didn't come to play in this tournament, I guess he was more concerned with securing a fat check from Turkey so he wasn't in the game but we can't blame Rohr, Mikel forced Rohr's hands, and to make matters worse when he was subbed out Iwobi drafted in and the midfield made Kore sense. Cut Rohr that one abeg

I wonder why it is difficult to get a point. Mikel was played in a wrong position and from the first game, it was hammered. The system did not suit him and we needed him to play deeper. Even Pirlo and Xavi will have problems playing there but will be gems in deeper roles.

In that case, will you blame the player or the coach?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 1:03pm On Jul 16, 2019
Icon4s:

You agree that Balogun should have started the Algeria game ahead of Ekong?
Forget about the Algeria game (because we are analyzing the situation before the game was played), rate the two players' performances up to the SA game.

As in eh, after scoring the match winner garnished with a solid performance against SA they expect the coach to bench him, that doesn't make sense
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 1:05pm On Jul 16, 2019
TheGoodJoe:

I wonder why it is difficult to get a point. Mikel was played in a wrong position and from the first game, it was hammered. The system did not suit him and we needed him to play deeper. Even Pirlo and Xavi will have problems playing there but will be gems in deeper roles.

In that case, will you blame the player or the coach?

In that first game there were instances when Mikel dropped deep and I think it was either Ndidi or Etebo that moved forward and yet Mikel was still misplacing passes at the back. In fact what does his position on the field have to do with the fact that he was too slow to react and too slow to pass the ball and also to slow to make any decision when the ball comes to him? Let is just agree that this wasn't his best tournament EOD, don't blame Rohr

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 1:07pm On Jul 16, 2019
Y'all who want Rhor out better brace up, if baba no resign nothing NFF can do, report say NFF will have to pay him 1mill dollars if they choose to terminate his contract and the NFF is currently cash strapped

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 1:08pm On Jul 16, 2019
Curtisaxel7:

Wrong. I have always screamed and shouted for Mikel to be played at CM. Even when I saw the match list I criticized Rohr for his inflexibility.

So it's not a hindsight thing. It was clear since the first game of this tourney that Etebo is never a creator and it was costing us heavily as the team was finding it extremely difficult moving the ball from defence to attack. We all know this, it's not hidden knowledge.

But Etebo was never even meant to be the creator, I mean it is just like screaming that Rakitic isn't creative. Etebo was put there to operate mainly as the second DMF and secondarily as the CMF, which means his job was to carry the ball forward to the AMF who is Iwobi. Why are you now blaming Etebo for our lack of creativity when his job description doesn't not even contain that part of football?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AIG07: 1:09pm On Jul 16, 2019
MetalJigsaw:
His ability to read games is very poor and he reacts too slow in making tactical changes.
Rohr is the problem... Nothing more.

We played about 4 pre-world cup friendlies one against Argentina and 3 against European sides (Poland, England and a certain country I can't recollect @ the present) The whole world saw that our strength lies in the 3-5-2 formation. At the tournament proper, he reversed back and stuck to his age long tactics of 4-2-3-1 with makeshift player at the RB and continued experimenting till we were knocked out of the competition. Ever since, the team has been struggling to score. We went to the World Cup with average GKs. One year after, we flew to Cairo with this same guys despite the call to drop one of Akpeyi/Ezenwa for a much younger goalkeeper to understudy and get exposure. But baba no gree.

Fast forward to 2019, my man refused to change his approach. Here we are again. Some fans have become so passive that they believe and say 'there are no minnows in Africa football'. I believe this is just a way of consoling themselves. It was heartbreaking when we struggle to defeat teams like Seychelles and Madagascar(this ones even whooped our asses). Give any of Spain, England, Italy, Netherlands a country like San Marino, Malta, Luxembourg etc and see them put them in their rightful places.

One question for those who want Rohr to stay.
HAS THE SEs Progressed under him in the last 2years? Be honest with yourselves.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 1:09pm On Jul 16, 2019
mostob:
I remember calling for Alampasu to be invited to at least train with the team.Some goons here said he is not getting playing time. What we don't know is that there are ways clubs and countries benefit from each other concerning a certain player.

Alampasu is not the solution. Simple

I will take a regular playing NPFL GK over Alampasu

How many games has he played since he went to portugal?

Someone that played just 3 games last season?

You people sef

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 1:11pm On Jul 16, 2019
Icon4s:

Firstly, the primary duty of a defender is to defend. Did you also consider whether Chukwueze also did enough to support Awaziem? Look you played Algeria who are the best attacking team in this tournament.

A full back should be more engaged in checking the advancement of the opposing wingers than adventuring forward. Chukwueze not living up to expectations in that game cannot be attributed to Awaziem. The Algerians just pocketed him. Simple. SA did not know how lethal Chukwueze was. His introduction into that game was the joker Rohr used to beat SA.

EOD. Looking for who to blame for another players poor showing is just the height of it.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 1:14pm On Jul 16, 2019
Osimhen will play, but may not start. Uzoho to start. Mikel won't play, he's injured and could have played his last game for the eagles
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 1:14pm On Jul 16, 2019
forgiveness:

Akpeyi, Ezenwa and Uzoho are all bench warmers. But the goons here will not tell you that.

Well, e don happen and everybody eyes don clear.

I wonder why NFF is not asking questions about the continuous inclusion of these guys in our team.

How come they don't notice that none of our keepers are first choice for their crappy teams? Why would we not have a GK crisis on our hands?

Henceforth, I don't expect to see any of these GKs in the SE. For a country of over 160M people, I have a strong feeling that we have better GKs

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 1:15pm On Jul 16, 2019
jihday:
Baba no even wan see any made in Naija coach

Those coaches are not there for the good of the nation but for their own belly.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Odunayaw(m): 1:16pm On Jul 16, 2019
Icon4s:

Sorry bro. I don't think you have been watching this AFCON.
not to worry, this is what he has been thinking of all tournament grin

When i remember the way this SA team moves the ball from defense to attack in split seconds......hmm. The beautiful quick midfield interchanges they are so fond of.....hmm. Percy Tau's wizardry..... hmm. Lorch's lethality.... hmm. Mothiba's mobility.... hmm.
I sorry for Nigeria.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 1:17pm On Jul 16, 2019
jihday:
Y'all who want Rhor out better brace up, if baba no resign nothing NFF can do, report say NFF will have to pay him 1mill dollars if they choose to terminate his contract and the NFF is currently cash strapped

Which Report?

Please copy and paste it here for us to see
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 1:18pm On Jul 16, 2019
TheGoodJoe:

I think it was here someone pointed out a team not qualifying for a tournament could mean the team is working towards something big. We need a long term agenda with an offensive footie pattern being the target.

A blip of not qualifying should not be the end of the journey. With lessons learnt and corrections, we can build a formidable side that will wreck havoc to even top teams of the World.

That is why we were so satisfied with Rohr’s conservative system because qualifying was the goal, not building a top sound tactical team.

You can better build a team when you qualify for a tournament.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Odunayaw(m): 1:25pm On Jul 16, 2019
Maybe someone need to watch the last 15mins of the Nig-Mad game and see where Mikel was playing deep, falling down and destroying plays grin

Such prejudice

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Odunayaw(m): 1:29pm On Jul 16, 2019
BascoVanVeli:

Tournament form man! You'd bring in a player that's been training separately since return from injury?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Odunayaw(m): 1:32pm On Jul 16, 2019
Mickael2:

In that first game there were instances when Mikel dropped deep and I think it was either Ndidi or Etebo that moved forward and yet Mikel was still misplacing passes at the back. In fact what does his position on the field have to do with the fact that he was too slow to react and too slow to pass the ball and also to slow to make any decision when the ball comes to him? Let is just agree that this wasn't his best tournament EOD, don't blame Rohr
clap clap clap, applause

Bless you
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 1:33pm On Jul 16, 2019
forgiveness:

Aina, Osimhen and Onyekuru are promising players.

I agree 100% they are very promising but top class not yet.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 1:37pm On Jul 16, 2019
forgiveness:

I still wonder who does the selection in the national team.

We need to reinforce the mildfield with fresh players. The likes of Eberechi Eze, Tega Onomah, Ovie, Semi Ajayi (if he moves away from league one), Joe Aribo (if his team gets to play in Europa League and he performs), Ramon Azeez (if he gets to play in the la Liga this season), Abdul Ajagun (if he gets to play in the Belgium Pro League or a better league this season), Azubike Okechukwu (if he gets to play), Nnamdi Ofoborh (if he gets game time in EPL), Dele Bashiru (if he gets to play in a decent league), Aniekeme Okon (he should be given the chance), Kingsley Michael etc. should be tested.

We should draft in more players in the attack to make it competitive.

Lookman Ademola, Issac Success and Noah Bazee should slog it out for the wings position.

We should watch out for Sheyi Ojo (fc Rangers) and Bobby Adekanye (Lazio). They can be a good addition for the RW position alongside with Noah Bazee and Isaac Success. Chukwueze should be given the competition to bring out the best in him.

Lookman Ademola can slog it out with Simon Moses and Henry Onyekuru on the LW. Enough of makeshift players.

Ahmed Musa should be moved to SS or S position.

In the striker position, Olanrewaju Kayode, Taiwo Awoniyi and Sunday Odey should be given the chance to prove themselves. They should slog it out with Osimhen and Ighalo.

We can watch out Josh Maja and David Okereke.

Onuachu!?

In the defence, we need to bring back Idowu to slog it out with Collins on the LB.

Ebuehi and Aina should slog it out for the RB position. Then, Tomori should be chased after to represent us. Uduokhia should be added into the team.

The goalkeeper department is one the problems we have. The goalkeeper trainer should be sacked and replaced with a more competent one. Then, we are good to go.

Agreed without asking for bribe.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Odunayaw(m): 1:40pm On Jul 16, 2019
AIG07:
Rohr is the problem... Nothing more.

We played about 4 pre-world cup friendlies one against Argentina and 3 against European sides (Poland, England and a certain country I can't recollect @ the present) The whole world saw that our strength lies in the 3-5-2 formation. At the tournament proper, he reversed back and stuck to his age long tactics of 4-2-3-1 with makeshift player at the RB and continued experimenting till we were knocked out of the competition. Ever since, the team has been struggling to score.
We went to the World Cup with average GKs. One year after, we flew to Cairo with this same guys despite the call to drop one of Akpeyi/Ezenwa for a much younger goalkeeper to understudy and get exposure. But baba no gree.
We struggled to score 14 goals immediately afterwards?
Just look right there, posting for the sake of it, ..much younger goalkeeper (why?) to understudy and get exposure
Understudy and get exposure will have stopped the Freekick ba. We're talking of GK woes and you're asking for someone to come and take notes for thesis.

This emotional rant is nauseating especially when lies and incoherence joins it

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 1:41pm On Jul 16, 2019
Odunayaw:
Tournament form man! You'd bring in a player that's been training separately since return from injury?

We brought in Collins right? Who said he was training alone? Rohr said all had a clean bill of health. Btw all I said was that the idea wasn't ridiculous I myself wanted Mikel brought in to calm things down.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6631) (6632) (6633) (6634) (6635) (6636) (6637) ... (16161) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: KpagoGIN(m), semid4lyfe(m), johnjunior39(m), jihday(m), elyte89 and 7 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.