Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,624 members, 7,823,748 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 02:25 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (6699) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11721865 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6696) (6697) (6698) (6699) (6700) (6701) (6702) ... (16167) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 11:46pm On Jul 23, 2019
forgiveness:

He did not score 20 goals prior to the AFCON and all the goals were scored in lowly Ligue 2. That's poor for a CF. Snapshot 1

Mouse only played 30 games in Ligue 1 a season before the AFCON season but prior to the AFCON, he could not play a single. The rest were in Ligue 2. Obscure league.

Levy Madinda didn't play a single match for Celta Vigo that season they got promotion to the la Liga. Stop lying. Snapshot 2.
School that kid

Dude has been smoking 2 much
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 11:49pm On Jul 23, 2019
BARAJ92:
Was Moses not part of the team that failed to qualified us for two consecutive Nations Cup.

I dont know

But was mikel and musa not part?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 11:51pm On Jul 23, 2019
komekn:

I think you are being delusional go and watch the Algeria game and see how many times he was left for dead by the Algerians he was nearly yellow carded in the first 10 minutes and the referee gave him a verbal warning.

Awaziem was the weakest link IMO.

It seems like u have made up ur mind to judge Awazeim's performance at the AFCON using that Algeria game alone cus u keep talking about it anytime his name pop up here..
Na so u dislike am reach? .Awazeim wasn't at fault for any goal we conceded at the AFCON though he had a hard time against Cameroon and South Africa. .he was solid for a player who was playing at RB for just the second time in his career... Don't forget his cross he gave against Cameroon from which your MCM scored ..
He was probably our best player at the tournament after Etebo, Omeruo and Ndidi ..

6 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Earthquake2: 11:55pm On Jul 23, 2019
Danielnino00:

It seems like u have made up ur mind to judge Awazeim's performance at the AFCON using that Algeria game alone cus u keep talking about it anytime his name pop up here..
Na so u dislike am reach? .Awazeim wasn't at fault for any goal we conceded at the AFCON though he had a hard time against Cameroon and South Africa. .he was solid for a player who was playing at RB for just the second time in his career... Don't forget his cross he gave against Cameroon from which your MCM scored ..
He was probably our best player at the tournament after Etebo, Omeruo and Ndidi ..

Yea Awaziem was in the way of his 'Borough' boy Aina
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 11:55pm On Jul 23, 2019
charlesemeka85:
awaziem was solid throughout the competition,he is one of the players that impressed me so much. the likes of tiago silva,ramos,pique,bonucci,chillieni,van dyke etc are rated as the best defenders in the world but they still gets turned in and out by attackers but that doesn't rub off their qualities and artistry in marshaling the defense line.

for a natural centre back who was slotted in the rb position which is unfamiliar to him at the heat of a big competition as the afcon and he did pretty well shows his level of confidence and exposure have improved. i just pray he leaves porto permanently

God bless you for this fact

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 11:56pm On Jul 23, 2019
andrew444:

Why him no wear him number 8?

Not sure might want a new start
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 11:56pm On Jul 23, 2019
charlesemeka85:
awaziem was solid throughout the competition,he is one of the players that impressed me so much. the likes of tiago silva,ramos,pique,bonucci,chillieni,van dyke etc are rated as the best defenders in the world but they still gets turned in and out by attackers but that doesn't rub off their qualities and artistry in marshaling the defense line.

for a natural centre back who was slotted in the rb position which is unfamiliar to him at the heat of a big competition as the afcon and he did pretty well shows his level of confidence and exposure have improved. i just pray he leaves porto permanently

That's not the issue.

The issue is overall consistent continous performances not exceptions.

The attributes to be an outstanding Wing/ Full back he simply does not have. He doesn't have the basics.

First of all he has Zero pace that is huge disadvantage in that position that alone pushes you to the bottom of the pile. Secondly his technical ability with 1 on 1 offensive play was very limited.

What he did do very well he was VERY INTELLIGENT he realised his handicaps and played within those limitations but his limitations meant he couldn't support Chukwueze and or come forward to attack.

But the issue was that both the SA and Algerians recognised his handicaps. That made him the weakest link as a full/ Wing back.

Knowing fully well his deficiencies he should never have been playing that position. Irrespective of how he managed his deficiencies.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 11:59pm On Jul 23, 2019
Earthquake2:

No he wasn't. Apart from his lapses in concentration Aina was far better than Awaziem. If he can fix this he will easily be our best defender.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 12:06am On Jul 24, 2019
komekn:

That's not the issue.

The issue is overall consistent continous performances not exceptions.

The attributes to be an outstanding Wing/ Full back he simply does not have. He doesn't have the basics.

First of all he has Zero pace that is huge disadvantage in that position that alone pushes you to the bottom of the pile. Secondly his technical ability with 1 on 1 offensive play was very limited.

What he did do very well he was VERY INTELLIGENT he realised his handicaps and played within those limitations but his limitations meant he couldn't support Chukwueze and or come forward to attack.

But the issue was that both the SA and Algerians recognised his handicaps. That made him the weakest link as a full/ Wing back.

Knowing fully well his deficiencies he should never have been playing that position. Irrespective of how he managed his deficiencies.

@ bolded. Algeria yes,SA hell no!!

Even against Algeria, was he at fault for any of the goals we conceded?
Why are u making it sound like the guy has been playing that role all his career ?
When Shehu was playing makeshift RB and putting up some nonsense performance, we didn't see u attacking him like this...

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 12:08am On Jul 24, 2019
Earthquake2:

There are 4 players in the super eagles that he doesn't like at all.. He'd do anything to discredit them..
Iheanacho chief among then.followed by Osimhen, Omeruo and Awazeim.

Don't expect any positive words from him regarding those players

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 12:11am On Jul 24, 2019
BascoVanVeli:

Not sure might want a new start

Ok
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 12:13am On Jul 24, 2019
Danielnino00:

There are 4 players in the super eagles that he doesn't like at all.. He'd do anything to discredit them..
Iheanacho chief among then.followed by Osimhen, Omeruo and Awazeim.

But the funny part is that he likes onauchu ,onauchu is not bad o

But if komekn doesn't like osimhen then how come he like onauchu

The thing dey funny me
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 12:14am On Jul 24, 2019
MetalJigsaw:
Make we wait till premiership start jare....

No be prediction ooo. Just calling it as I see.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 2:49am On Jul 24, 2019
Earthquake2:
Our men's basketball team lost to Algeria

Chai

To add insult to injury

We have been underperforming in sports given our abundant human resources and talents at our disposal.

It's a pity Buhari hardly cares who heads the sports ministry .
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 2:50am On Jul 24, 2019
somehow:
I prefer Akpabio as minister of sports
even though he can aalso perform well as minister of works or power.

Yes, I feel he will do way better than Dalung as minister of sports and there will be less conflict between him and Amaju since they have a good history
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 2:53am On Jul 24, 2019
Danielnino00:

If truly Moses as changed then he should be the one to announce his comeback from retirement not us going to beg him..
I totally refuse to subscribe to the idea that we don't have any player to replace Moses! .. Moses himself meet other players in the team when he first joined but he was given his chance and he grabbed it! Let the likes of Onyekuru,Chukwueze and even David Okereke be given their chance too...We have already seen what Kalu can offer...

If we go back to beg Moses now we will be sending a wrong message to our younger players who are still waiting for their chances.. we will be making them feel like they aren't good enough at all..

If we want to move forward, we should let go of the past!!

You are seeing it from same point of view as me.

I am not sold on Moses returning.

Let us give the younger player more opportunity
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 2:54am On Jul 24, 2019
Odunayaw:
He's Nigerian no? See as una bring out pitchfork as I mention him name grin

Capped by England or Mars, The lad is achieving and its worthy of mention

Hence the reason Lampard will cap him

And he will choose them over us without blinking an eye lash grin cheesy
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 3:46am On Jul 24, 2019
Nacho went for the #14 (his Super Eagles number) and gave up his former #8 which Youri Tielemans now dorns. That is what happened.

andrew444:

Why him no wear him number 8?

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 3:57am On Jul 24, 2019
He doesn't (really) like Onuachu. He doesn't even know Onuachu well. He has possibly never even bothered to watch Onuachu's games. So how can he genuinely like Onuachu all of a sudden? Lol...

He only likes the idea of Onuachu playing instead of Osimhen.

His fake likeness for Onuachu is a case of supporting player B to be picked over player A because he doesn't like that player A.

Believe me if Tammy Abraham to GWG talks resurfaces, you would see him switch sides again to begin saying he prefers Tammy to Onuachu and give you reasons why Tammy is a better fit than a taller Onuachu.. lol... The guy is so bloody predictable and it makes him an eyesore to read every damn time.

So Komekn would rather have another player picked instead of Nacho, Osimhen, Omeruo and co... That is how his silly bias works. And he does it that way not caring if it is for the best of our Super Eagles.
Imagine talking up Aina as our best defender because of interceptions stats when Omeruo was by dar our finest defender at the Afcon. And we all know why he talks up Aina so much. He belongs to the English-born Naija players.

Aina is good and I love him but with Komekn here, some of you will be made to hate/dislike/hardly rate Aina because of how Komekn will communicate always in favor of the English-born Naija players.

Komekn has a very dangerously divisive bias coupled with his irritating limited knowledge of football outside England. And someone so bloody limited should not be taken seriously.

andrew444:

But the funny part is that he likes onauchu ,onauchu is not bad o

But if komekn doesn't like osimhen then how come he like onauchu

The thing dey funny me

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 4:11am On Jul 24, 2019
Add Chukwueze to that list. He will use every opportunity to always talk down on Chuks' talents subtly.

On Awaziem, Komekn is probably the only blind bat to keep trying so hard to discredit Awaziem. A player who most top Journalists agree did a yeoman's job for us at Afcon 2019 and was one of our top revelations of the tournament. In fact, the less seriously people take that clown, Komekn here, the better....

Reading his comments can make one less intelligent for he never uses correct intelligence to make his points. His intelligence is corrupted thus he only uses his selective-bias skill + his English(borough)-plastered cortex to drop words.

Danielnino00:

Iheanacho chief among then.followed by Osimhen, Omeruo and Awaziem.

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 5:56am On Jul 24, 2019
i'm indifferent about bronze. We've seen a lot of it.
Earthquake2:

Before the Afcon would you have taken a semifinal and a bronze medal or not?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 6:02am On Jul 24, 2019
@bolded, typical Rohr yarns. He for add "with our very young team" grin
MetalJigsaw:
Gernor Rohr Speaks On Dumping Super Eagles For Morocco

Jul 23, 2019

Super Eagles Head coach, Gernot Rohr, has noted that he is still under contract with the Nigeria Football Federation and therefore, dismissed the speculations linking him with Morocco and Gabon.

The Morocco national team is looking for a new coach after the Atlas Lions handler, Herve Renard failed to guide them past the second round of the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations.

The Super Eagles Coach denied the report that he had made contact with the Royal Moroccan Football Federation.

Rohr during an interview with Sportinglife.ng said, “Though I’ve heard the rumours that Morocco wanted me, the truth is that nobody has contacted me about any job; I also heard that people in Gabon are also thinking about me”.

“But I cannot even negotiate with another country because I still have a binding contract with Nigeria.”

“Of course, it is an honour to be mentioned than for no country to want you at all but I’m still under contract. I still have a one year contract with Nigeria.”

“I think everybody saw the good job being done here in Nigeria whereby we came from being number 11 to become number three in Africa.”

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 6:07am On Jul 24, 2019
haha when Buhari name Sports Minister una go fear.. make una dey wait.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 6:34am On Jul 24, 2019
Earthquake2:
Our men's basketball team lost to Algeria

Chai

That’s the home based team. The main team going to the World Cup just beat Dominicans Republic 2 straight in a 2 leg series.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Earthquake2: 7:40am On Jul 24, 2019
TheSuperNerd:
He doesn't (really) like Onuachu. He doesn't even know Onuachu well. He has possibly never even bothered to watch Onuachu's games. So how can he genuinely like Onuachu all of a sudden? Lol...

He only likes the idea of Onuachu playing instead of Osimhen.

His fake likeness for Onuachu is a case of supporting player B to be picked over player A because he doesn't like that player A.

Believe me if Tammy Abraham to GWG talks resurfaces, you would see him switch sides again to begin saying he prefers Tammy to Onuachu and give you reasons why Tammy is a better fit than a taller Onuachu.. lol... The guy is so bloody predictable and it makes him an eyesore to read every damn time.

So Komekn would rather have another player picked instead of Nacho, Osimhen, Omeruo and co... That is how his silly bias works. And he does it that way not caring if it is for the best of our Super Eagles.
Imagine talking up Aina as our best defender because of interceptions stats when Omeruo was by dar our finest defender at the Afcon. And we all know why he talks up Aina so much. He belongs to the English-born Naija players.

Aina is good and I love him but with Komekn here, some of you will be made to hate/dislike/hardly rate Aina because of how Komekn will communicate always in favor of the English-born Naija players.

Komekn has a very dangerously divisive bias coupled with his irritating limited knowledge of football outside England. And someone so bloody limited should not be taken seriously.

I don’t think he watches football outside England
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 7:42am On Jul 24, 2019
TheSuperNerd:
Add Chukwueze to that list. He will use every opportunity to always talk down on Chuks' talents subtly.

On Awaziem, Komekn is probably the only blind bat to keep trying so hard to discredit Awaziem. A player who most top Journalists agree did a yeoman's job for us at Afcon 2019 and was one of our top revelations of the tournament. In fact, the less seriously people take that clown, Komekn here, the better....

Reading his comments can make one less intelligent for he never uses correct intelligence to make his points. His intelligence is corrupted thus he only uses his selective-bias skill + his English(borough)-plastered cortex to drop words.

Easy son....easy.

People will always dislike certain players no matter what. Eg there are some that dislike players like Shehu, Ighalo, Musa, Akpeyi and Ezenwa no matter how they perform in any game.

The best we can do is to argue it out with such people and move on.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by isan(m): 7:43am On Jul 24, 2019
The second Cameron goal was omerou and ekong fault ..omerou for losing the challenge and ekong for not reading the ball and picked up the second ball...Aina was where he supposed to be the same position he was when he disposess the camerounian player for our third goal..the coach clearly instructed him to stay in that position
Earthquake2:

Aina was at fault for one of the goals scored by Cameroon hope you remember that

Awaziem played well this Afcon maybe your biased mind is closed to that fact

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 7:43am On Jul 24, 2019
[quote author=Joebie post=80572230]haha when Buhari name Sports Minister una go fear.. make una dey wait. [/quote

My own is thank God that Scout master is finally out. cheesy
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by DrKlever(m): 7:50am On Jul 24, 2019
Bolowolowo:

That’s the home based team. The main team going to the World Cup just beat Dominicans Republic 2 straight in a 2 leg series.
Algeria's home based team or Nigeria's home based team?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 7:59am On Jul 24, 2019
isan:
The second Cameron goal was omerou and ekong fault ..omerou for losing the challenge and ekong for not reading the ball and picked up the second ball...Aina was where he supposed to be the same position he was when he disposess the camerounian player for our third goal..the coach clearly instructed him to stay in that position

I have tried not to blame any player concerning that Cameroon's second goal because it was clearly none of the defenders' fault.
Omeruo jumped to contest a header but due to the direction in which the ball was flying from and the position of both players with respect to each other (Omeruo as the defender had to be behind the Cameroonian attacker), it only means the Cameroonian player(forgotten his name) will likely get the ball first which he did. If he had missed, Omeruo would have headed the ball out.

Now, it was a 50-50 ball and so the Cameroonian player (Njie) had to hope his player got the ball before Omeruo so he ran in anticipation. Aina in split second had to decide between hoping Omeruo gets the ball and following Njie in case the Cameroonian player heads the ball. Njie ran and Aina followed is split second but because Njie had already built momentum and was running in the direction of the ball it meant he had a higher chance of knocking off Aina which he did. And that led to the goal.

I, for a person that played and coached the game, think there are certain scenarios you see play out and you find it difficult to blame players involved.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Anegbettedude: 8:15am On Jul 24, 2019
CaptainStephen:
huh you again ! where did you see me ?
Front of your barracks, you were on camo with a back face cap on and was talking to the red cap soldiers. i was inside a bus passing and even took a picture grin grin

Another question, you had some wings like the ones pilot wear on your uniform chest.

Are you also a pilot ?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by gustav25: 8:24am On Jul 24, 2019

(1) (2) (3) ... (6696) (6697) (6698) (6699) (6700) (6701) (6702) ... (16167) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: BannedLarge, elyte89, Tinneh, 10cedes and 7 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.