Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,774 members, 7,831,491 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 07:41 PM

South West PDP Stakeholders Meeting - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / South West PDP Stakeholders Meeting (574 Views)

2019 Presidency: South West PDP Group Endorses Gov. Dankwambo / Fayose Meets South-West PDP Leaders In Ekiti. Checkout Their New Declarations / Resolutions Of PDP Stakeholders Meeting @OfficialPDPNig (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

South West PDP Stakeholders Meeting by patiot: 6:08pm On Mar 30, 2016
REMARKS BY DISTINGUISHED SENATOR BURUJI KASHAMU AT THE SOUTH WEST PDP STAKEHOLDERS MEETING HELD IN IBADAN, THE OYO STATE CAPITAL ON THE 30TH OF MARCH, 2016.

I greet the National Secretary, Prof. Wale Oladipo

I salute members of the BoT and members of the NWC here present

I doff my hat for all the Chairmen from the various states in the South West

I salute all our leaders, elders and stakeholders

1.      It is now public knowledge that on the 17th of March, 2016, the National Vice-Chairman, South West, Chief Makanjuola Ogundipe, led a cross-section of what I call “functional leaders” on a visit to the National Chairman, Senator (Dr.) Ali Modu Sheriff.  The events that occurred during the visit have become the subject of public discourse.

2.      Following the uproar that trailed our proposal for the North to retain the position of the National Chairman of our great party, I have done follow up statement and interview that were published in various newspapers and online, on the 19th and 23rd of March, 2016. The views expressed during the visit and thereafter have been reproduced into a single document which our leaders from the various states have endorsed by appending their signatures to it.

3.      As the Chairman, Organization and Mobilization Committee of the PDP in the South West, with offices across the states in the zone, I am armed with relevant information and insights that most people may not be accessible to or might choose to ignore. But, I have a duty to seek the truth and say it as it is.

4.      I have read and heard some of the comments made by some of our leaders and friends in respect of our proposal. For me, that is the beauty of democracy. It is a game of numbers and a contest of ideas. Let the debate continue and let superior argument prevail.

5.      Let me reiterate that I align myself with the earlier position canvassed by majority of the leaders, elders and stakeholders which has been reproduced and signed by leaders from the all the states in the South West which seeks to among others, address:  

Apathy in the funding of the party by leaders in the South West zone.

The risk of shrinking into a regional party because of the decline in the electoral fortunes of the party in the North. The PDP controls 10 of the 17 states in the South, with 10 Governors, 32 senators and 96 members of the House of Representatives, and still counting. Conversely, in the whole of North, the PDP controls only two states, with two governors, 15 senators and about 30 members of the House of Representatives.

A North that is further weakened by being denied the position of the National Chairman of the party will feel marginalized; reconciling a further disillusioned North will be an arduous task for a party in opposition.

The lack of co-operation in the South West zone will constitute a challenge to the National Chairman from the region. We, the people of the South West, are good at petition-writing and Pull-Him-Down (PHD) tactics. Too much energy will be dissipated on acrimony and conflict resolution

6.      It is unfair to the masses of the South West for anyone to insinuate that our position in canvassing that the National Chairman of our party should come from the North amounts to pushing away good things coming to the region. That is a political game that I do not subscribe to. The position of the National Chairman without the requisite resources and enabling environment cannot be said to be a good thing.

7.      It should be noted that the South West had the Presidency for 8 years as well the Speaker of the House of Representatives for 4 years; these positions are more influential than the chairmanship of the party which some now argue must be given to the South West because no one from the region has ever served as National Chairman.

8.      Thus, it was with a profound sense of responsibility that over 70% of the functional leaders of the zone, under the leadership of the zonal chairman, arrived at the decision to allow the North retain the position of National Chairman of the party.

9.      Again, let me state that we did not just say that the position of the National Chairman should remain in the North. We also suggested that the South West should gear up for the position of the Vice-Presidency which is not likely to change with the present political calculations. 

10. Besides, those pushing a contrary position to that which we have expressed should put forward their reasons beyond the worn-out tales of we have not done it before.

11. I urge all the leaders and elders who have appended their signatures on the position paper asking the North to retain the National Chairmanship of the PDP to remain steadfast in their resolve.  Let us intensify the campaign.  

12. I remain totally in support of whatever is in the interest of our party and country at every level and in every sector. That is why I support the anti-corruption fight of the Federal Government. If we must literally get out of the woods, as a people, we must support the war against corruption. It is the reason our roads are bad. That is why there is no light in our homes or we run on generators every day. It is the reason our mothers, fathers, brothers and sisters die of malaria and other avoidable diseases. Nigeria will be great again if we are willing to unite and do all it takes to make it great, irrespective of our political differences and leanings.

Re: South West PDP Stakeholders Meeting by KissCODE(m): 6:52pm On Mar 30, 2016
The lack of co-operation in the South West zone will constitute a challenge to the National Chairman from the region. We, the people of the South West, are good at petition-writing and Pull-Him-Down (PHD) tactics. Too much energy will be dissipated on acrimony and conflict resolution... Quote by Buruji

Did the senator of Federal Republic really say this?
Oh my south west has been reduced to...
Re: South West PDP Stakeholders Meeting by TonyeBarcanista(m): 7:09pm On Mar 30, 2016
9.      Again, let me state that we did not just say that the position of the National Chairman should remain in the North. We also suggested that the South West should gear up for the position of the Vice-Presidency which is not likely to change with the present political calculations. 
I think this man need to be brought to sanity. The VeePee ticket should go to the South East. Of the three Southern regions, they are the only group that hasn't been on the ballot for PDP since 1999. This is nonnegotiable!

(1) (Reply)

Tinubu Endorses Akande For APC Bot Chair / Checkout These Hilarious Photos Of Nigerian Politicians / Foreigner Searching For Fuel To Buy.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.