Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,336 members, 7,826,336 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 12:48 PM

Streaming Or Downloading Videos, Most Cheaper?? - Phones (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Streaming Or Downloading Videos, Most Cheaper?? (23112 Views)

Telegram Releases Version 4.8 With With Video Streaming And Many More / 9mobile Free Youtube Streaming Looks Scammy, Is It? / MTN Introduces New Hourly Data Plans For Youtube Streaming (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Streaming Or Downloading Videos, Most Cheaper?? by bigdrey(m): 7:45am On Mar 31, 2016
Downloading is far more cheaper, it only sends small bytes and receives much bytes WHILE Streaming sends a very much bytes and receives much more bytes as well.
And that's why you shld notice u can hardly stream with a poor ntwrk but u can manage to download with that same poor ntwrk (if will only take longer time).

3 Likes

Re: Streaming Or Downloading Videos, Most Cheaper?? by Jorussia(m): 7:46am On Mar 31, 2016
Downloading a video is cheaper than streaming it.

1 Like

Re: Streaming Or Downloading Videos, Most Cheaper?? by ThisYourTatafo: 7:49am On Mar 31, 2016
encryptjay:
Is it that we're running out of creative minds in this forum?
See thread for morning abeg

THIS YOUR OVER SABI EH? E NO GO LEAD U ANYWHERE OGBENI...

THIS IS A PUBLIC FORUM AND PEOPLE SEEK TO KNOW THINGS OTHERS HAVE HAD PRIOR KNOWLEDGE OF, THERE ARE THINGS THE O.P KNOW WEY U NO NO MY GUY SO humble yourself AND KEEP CALM WHILE OTHERS LEARN

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Streaming Or Downloading Videos, Most Cheaper?? by Roadmap27(m): 7:51am On Mar 31, 2016
jaykaylegend:
guys please I want to ask between streaming videos and downloading videos, which consumes data the most.?/

Somebody should tell me how to post a thread here. The truth is I don't know how. Over the time I have had some interesting thread to give you guys but don't know how.

1 Like

Re: Streaming Or Downloading Videos, Most Cheaper?? by Sunkyphil(m): 7:51am On Mar 31, 2016
streaming is cheaper
Re: Streaming Or Downloading Videos, Most Cheaper?? by ThisYourTatafo: 7:54am On Mar 31, 2016
Roadmap27:

Somebody should tell me how to post a thread here. The truth is I don't know how. Over the time I have had some interesting thread to give you guys but don't know how.

BROS GOTO THE SECTION YOU LIKE....THEN U WILL SEE A PLACE WRITTEN create New Topic ...for example

1 Like

Re: Streaming Or Downloading Videos, Most Cheaper?? by prinsam30: 7:55am On Mar 31, 2016
streaming and downloading are the same, depending on the quality of the video
Re: Streaming Or Downloading Videos, Most Cheaper?? by myungidbaloxy: 7:55am On Mar 31, 2016
How to Get Free Airtime

HOW TO GET FREE AIRTIME ON ANY NETWORK

http://www.techsparkhub.com/2016/03/how-to-earn-free-airtime-with-slide.html
Re: Streaming Or Downloading Videos, Most Cheaper?? by masqot(m): 7:56am On Mar 31, 2016
From my experience, the mb you consume is the same except when you have option of downloading high or low definition video. While the former consumes less data, the latter comes heavier. Moreover, you make the video yours when you download unless you don't need to.
Re: Streaming Or Downloading Videos, Most Cheaper?? by jaybee3(m): 8:04am On Mar 31, 2016
yomz1e:
Hope this helps:

When you stream a video or music, the file itself doesn’t live on your device’s hard drive. It’s accessed on the internet, temporarily, while you’re using it. That’s why streaming is used by many sites offering free or rented content: you have access to it but you don’t “own” the content. Streaming is great for watching or listening to content on any device – your internet-connected TV, smartphone, tablet, or laptop. Streaming works better with a faster internet connection as you’re listening or watching in real-time.

By contrast, when you download a video or music, the file itself lives on your hard drive and takes up space there. This means that, once downloaded, you can use it again and again, and not have to download it each time. However, you often have to pay more for downloaded content than you would if you streamed it because you “own” the file. Plus, with downloaded content, it can be challenging to use it across multiple devices.

You typed all that without answering the fvcking question?

Modified: Even worse that you lifted the whole bleeping content off the internet without referencing the author... angry angry angry angry angry
http://techessentials.rogers.com/howitworks/StreamingVsDownloading.aspx

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Streaming Or Downloading Videos, Most Cheaper?? by Raskasal(m): 8:11am On Mar 31, 2016
Downloading is far better and cheaper,irrespective of the video or music quality

1 Like

Re: Streaming Or Downloading Videos, Most Cheaper?? by slightlyMad(f): 8:12am On Mar 31, 2016
VIPERVENOM:
i streamed a 10 min youtube video and it consumed more than 70mb. Dat same video i downloaded at 25mb so downloading is better

Some things happened behind the scene,
you have a badass internet and were able to stream higher quality.
streaming checks you bandwidth and serve you content based on that

meanwhile, while downloading, you probably selected a lower quality version.

my view? downloading is better because you can re-watch, streamed contents gets deleted on the fly.
Re: Streaming Or Downloading Videos, Most Cheaper?? by homesteady(m): 8:14am On Mar 31, 2016
VIPERVENOM:
i streamed a 10 min youtube video and it consumed more than 70mb. Dat same video i downloaded at 25mb so downloading is better

Thats because the video you streamed was of a higher quality than the one you downloaded!
No high quality 10mins video would cost 25mb! You downloaded the video in 3gp format!
Re: Streaming Or Downloading Videos, Most Cheaper?? by olagamalin(m): 8:14am On Mar 31, 2016
VIPERVENOM:
YOU CAN LIE
Re: Streaming Or Downloading Videos, Most Cheaper?? by forkinsonlolo(m): 8:15am On Mar 31, 2016
under idea condition (same quality video type, fast connection etc). they consume the same data. but downloading is better because you can always re watch again without internet. When u stream u actually download for temporary usage
Re: Streaming Or Downloading Videos, Most Cheaper?? by Lexusgs430: 8:15am On Mar 31, 2016
Streaming is best if your Internet connection is excellent!!! (while streaming, if you dislike content. Simply stop watching) But if content was already downloaded, what a waste!!!
If downloading and streaming the same format, they cost the same. But while downloading, if download fails midway, and already downloaded file is not paused, you start all over costing you more.
Re: Streaming Or Downloading Videos, Most Cheaper?? by cybriz82(m): 8:16am On Mar 31, 2016
No mind all those children wey no knw d meanin of streamin...
Re: Streaming Or Downloading Videos, Most Cheaper?? by ThisYourTatafo: 8:17am On Mar 31, 2016
jaybee3:

You typed all that without answering the fvcking question?

Lol
Re: Streaming Or Downloading Videos, Most Cheaper?? by VIPERVENOM(m): 8:19am On Mar 31, 2016
homesteady:

Thats because the video you streamed was of a higher quality than the one you downloaded!
No high quality 10mins video would cost 25mb! You downloaded the video in 3gp format!
i download and stream at mp4 360p. also other stuff like adds consume data while streaming
Re: Streaming Or Downloading Videos, Most Cheaper?? by Gaddafithe2nd(m): 8:20am On Mar 31, 2016
streaming is costly. I prefer downloading
Re: Streaming Or Downloading Videos, Most Cheaper?? by olagamalin(m): 8:20am On Mar 31, 2016
Re: Streaming Or Downloading Videos, Most Cheaper?? by Goddygee(m): 8:30am On Mar 31, 2016
DaVinChiSam:
I don't think streaming is cheaper. Try Rivering
or Seaing betterstill Oceaning
lol, bros e too early na... Lwkmd
Re: Streaming Or Downloading Videos, Most Cheaper?? by seunajia: 8:35am On Mar 31, 2016
My friend what is the meaning of "most cheaper"? undecided

And BTW there's no difference between streaming and downloading.

The bytes are not just persisted when you're streaming. They still need to be "downloaded" to your disk to play, albeit, temporarily. This is why you have to wait for your YouTube videos to "buffer" when your Internet connection is slow. The file is downloaded to a temp "buffer". Which is swept later.

Videos played through Chrome are stored in C:\Users\<USERNAME>\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Cache. You can see them, but can't make any sense out of them.
Re: Streaming Or Downloading Videos, Most Cheaper?? by Nobody: 8:41am On Mar 31, 2016
yomz1e:
Hope this helps:

When you stream a video or music, the file itself doesn’t live on your device’s hard drive. It’s accessed on the internet, temporarily, while you’re using it. That’s why streaming is used by many sites offering free or rented content: you have access to it but you don’t “own” the content. Streaming is great for watching or listening to content on any device – your internet-connected TV, smartphone, tablet, or laptop. Streaming works better with a faster internet connection as you’re listening or watching in real-time.

By contrast, when you download a video or music, the file itself lives on your hard drive and takes up space there. This means that, once downloaded, you can use it again and again, and not have to download it each time. However, you often have to pay more for downloaded content than you would if you streamed it because you “own” the file. Plus, with downloaded content, it can be challenging to use it across multiple devices.

Good point but with downloading your device can be infected with viruses , it is almost impossible to transmit viruses through streaming, so while downloading is more cost effective it poses a greater risk to your device.
Re: Streaming Or Downloading Videos, Most Cheaper?? by Stylz69(m): 8:43am On Mar 31, 2016
yomz1e:
Hope this helps:

Though you are right, I think the OP is considering the cost in terms of data usage. I'd rather download than stream anyway considering the points you raised
Re: Streaming Or Downloading Videos, Most Cheaper?? by write2obi(m): 8:43am On Mar 31, 2016
Streaming is downloading without saving, while downloading is streaming but you cam still watch it later, data free.
Re: Streaming Or Downloading Videos, Most Cheaper?? by Nobody: 8:49am On Mar 31, 2016
depends on video.

but for me, any video worth streaming is worth downloading cos I get to watch it anytime I want.
Re: Streaming Or Downloading Videos, Most Cheaper?? by yomz1e(m): 8:51am On Mar 31, 2016
Exactly, and also when you download , you are exposed to malicious threats, hackers and fear of download termination which means occassionaly you have to start again, with streaming you can let it buffer and fast forward the video.

neoapocalypse:

Good point but with downloading your device can be infected with viruses , it is almost impossible to transmit viruses through streaming, so while downloading is more cost effective it poses a greater risk to your device.
Re: Streaming Or Downloading Videos, Most Cheaper?? by Xblink(m): 8:55am On Mar 31, 2016
Needless of downloading if u won't use d video again.
If u are streaming, don't stream with HD option.
Streaming should be cheaper in d long run.
Re: Streaming Or Downloading Videos, Most Cheaper?? by jaybee3(m): 9:02am On Mar 31, 2016
yomz1e:
Exactly, and also when you download , you are exposed to malicious threats, hackers and fear of download termination which means occassionaly you have to start again, with streaming you can let it buffer and fast forward the video.

Why didn't you reference the article you lifted off the internet?

Don't do that shyte again ya heard

http://techessentials.rogers.com/howitworks/StreamingVsDownloading.aspx
Re: Streaming Or Downloading Videos, Most Cheaper?? by Elxandre(m): 9:13am On Mar 31, 2016
Pavore9:
I download, I stream......since one can do both with 0MB on Airtel Kenya unlimitnet plan which they offer their subcribers.
How much does it cost Naira equivalent?
Re: Streaming Or Downloading Videos, Most Cheaper?? by tobiloba940(m): 9:16am On Mar 31, 2016
Marvel1206:
Streaming is far cheaper...
I do both, i can stream 7hours a day
who ask you to explain

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Which Internet Is Best For Lagos? / Toughest Phone Ever:The Land Rover's Explore Comes With Swappable Battery Pack / The Country That Manufactures The Infinix Android Powered Phones

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.