Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,705 members, 7,816,889 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:34 PM

Nigeria's Promise Turns To Peril As Investors Flee-Bloomberg - Investment (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Nigeria's Promise Turns To Peril As Investors Flee-Bloomberg (17484 Views)

Nigeria’s Stocks Among World’s Best-performers In 4 Months – Bloomberg / Bitcoin Plunges As Investors Suffer Reality Check / As Investors, What We All Need Is Safety Of Our Money. Check This (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria's Promise Turns To Peril As Investors Flee-Bloomberg by Almajiri1: 7:53am On Mar 31, 2016
ibedun:

You are highly ignorant! And I bet you have never left Nigeria (let alone Africa) in your life. There is international politics and economic structure. There is status quo. There is a reason some countries have nuclear and chemical biological weapons in their possession but yet do not want other countries to develop the same. There is a reason why some countries are almost permanently rich and others are permanently poor. Have you ever heard or read about the WTO? They have already designed the templates that will force Africa to remain dirt poor for the next 500 years. Portfolio investors are profit seekers not "investors".
Stay there and be doing conspiracy theory and making excuses for Buhari self inflicted malaise.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria's Promise Turns To Peril As Investors Flee-Bloomberg by Nobody: 7:58am On Mar 31, 2016
Almajiri1:

The naira is already devalued!!! With people like Aisha making a kill round tripping. Why do we like deceiving ourselves

1.There is no truth in the round tripping allegation. PDP themselves said they have no proof....and that their twitter was hacked.See here:http://www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2016/03/27/pdp-not-sure-of-allegations-against-buharis-wife-garba-shehu-others/

2.Devaluation at the official rate does not make more forex available for the parallel market...which is what is driving down the naira at the parallel market. So....if naira goes up to N300 officially...it may go up to N500 at the parallel market.

Back in 1989....we devalued. Did not work. And every-time we devalue the naira officially...it shoots up at the parallel market.

3.Round tripping is the result of having an official and parallel market...which has been there since the 1980's. Of course we could merge both markets...which is in my mind the best solution...but which many people have called flawed for good reasons.

4.Finally...either way...we must improve forex intake...which for me means we become manufacturers of goods for export. That is the best route.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Promise Turns To Peril As Investors Flee-Bloomberg by frodobee: 7:59am On Mar 31, 2016
Frodobee :
Last I checked, Ivory Coast is a commodity dependent country. When ur boss is a Nepa bill certified illiterate.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Promise Turns To Peril As Investors Flee-Bloomberg by Nobody: 8:02am On Mar 31, 2016
yaki84:
I watched nta goodmorning nigeria n one of the panelist a former deputy director at cbn said the central bank just discovered more than 20billion dolls in domiciliary accounts, he suggested what d cbn shud is buy this dolls from d owner at the govt official price n inject these monies to the market. u can charge those who need it most n it shud be people from manufacturing sector. sectors that will ad values to the economy.

It would only work if

1.The owners are willing to sell. And something tells me most of them won't sell. Forex is HIGHLY valuable right now.

2.And anyway...20bn is not enough. We need more than that. Much more.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria's Promise Turns To Peril As Investors Flee-Bloomberg by Nobody: 8:04am On Mar 31, 2016
frodobee:

Ivory Coast also

1.Has a much smaller population than Nigeria.

2.Has its currency...the CFA franc buffered by France.

3.Has some form of industrial development and export.

4.Also gets lots of cash from the French.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Promise Turns To Peril As Investors Flee-Bloomberg by wirinet(m): 8:20am On Mar 31, 2016
ibedun:

You are highly ignorant! And I bet you have never left Nigeria (let alone Africa) in your life. There is international politics and economic structure. There is status quo. There is a reason some countries have nuclear and chemical biological weapons in their possession but yet do not want other countries to develop the same. There is a reason why some countries are almost permanently rich and others are permanently poor. Have you ever heard or read about the WTO? They have already designed the templates that will force Africa to remain dirt poor for the next 500 years. Portfolio investors are profit seekers not "investors".
Which investors are fleeing from Nigeria ? Which investors came to Nigeria in the first place? The only investors that comes to corruption infested country like Nigeria are the Chinese, the Indians, the Lebanese and lately, the south Africans, the western investors only engage in portfolio investment. Portfolio investors are like predators, they prey on weak economies. They do not create jobs or add value to the economy.

The same west that imposed SAP on us, which we are yet to recover from are still the same people telling us how to run our economy.

7 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Promise Turns To Peril As Investors Flee-Bloomberg by yaki84: 8:21am On Mar 31, 2016
Quakertellicus1:

It would only work if

1.The owners are willing to sell. And something tells me most of them won't sell. Forex is HIGHLY valuable right now.

2.And anyway...20bn is not enough. We need more than that. Much more.

willing to sell? how when they wont get d dollars either.
the new policy is even if u have 3dollars in ur account, u wont get the dollars at counter but naira equivalent, so the issue of willing or not is not in this context cos they dont hv any choice than to sell. 20billion dolls can build a functional refinery n with large refining capacity which at a long term will checkmate dangote's monopolistic refinery if it comes to light.
how much was nigerias foreign reserve in 1999? I heard 3billion dolls.
did the govt then achieve something? yes they did, mtn, econet, globacom came in. if buhari was in power then with this his archaic n ancient darkage policies, those guys wouldnt hv set their foot into nigeria not to talk of bringing monies to invest.
the joy of investment is putting money n be able to recoup ur profits.
imagine if betting companies restrict bettors from WITHDRAWING!

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Promise Turns To Peril As Investors Flee-Bloomberg by yaki84: 8:24am On Mar 31, 2016
wirinet:

Which investors are fleeing from Nigeria ? Which investors came to Nigeria in the first place? The only investors that comes to corruption infested country like Nigeria are the Chinese, the Indians, the Lebanese and lately, the south Africans, the western investors only engage in portfolio investment. Portfolio investors are like predators, they prey on weak economies. They do not create jobs or add value to the economy.

The same west that imposed SAP on us, which we are yet to recover from are still the same people telling us how to run our economy.

that means buhari shud stop wasting n depleting our reserves in the quest of marketing n luring investors to nigeria.
Re: Nigeria's Promise Turns To Peril As Investors Flee-Bloomberg by koboko69: 8:24am On Mar 31, 2016
Imagine, the first example of companies that have pulled out is a textile company. grin in the east. They even called our building dilapidated with high rent....

They can take all their textiles away. We are not lift forex restrictions neither are we going to devalue so u can invest little and rake in huge profits to develop your countries

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Promise Turns To Peril As Investors Flee-Bloomberg by Nobody: 8:30am On Mar 31, 2016
yaki84:

willing to sell? how when they wont get d dollars either.
the new policy is even if u have 3dollars in ur account, u wont get the dollars at counter but naira equivalent, so the issue of willing or not is not in this context cos they dont hv any choice than to sell. 20billion dolls can build a functional refinery n with large refining capacity which at a long term will checkmate dangote's monopolistic refinery if it comes to light.
how much was nigerias foreign reserve in 1999? I heard 3billion dolls.
did the govt then achieve something? yes they did, mtn, econet, globacom came in. if buhari was in power then with this his archaic n ancient darkage policies, those guys wouldnt hv set their foot into nigeria not to talk of bringing monies to invest.
the joy of investment is putting money n be able to recoup ur profits.
imagine if betting companies restrict bettors from WITHDRAWING!

1.Hindsight is 20/20. Yes...MTN and co came in...but at the time they came in,in 2001, oil prices were on an upward trend.We had the forex to attract them. (And MTN and co charged very high prices intially...those were the days when a sim card cost N5000!).

If Buhari was in power then...and oil prices were going up like they did under Obasanjo....then yes,MTN would be in Nigeria live.

It must also be noted that technology has made it relatively ''cheaper'' to install GSM networks.

2.At the moment, Dangote is the only one who can build a big refinery(He took a loan of $6bn to do it..while he provided $3Bn.). But ....let's be frank one does not need to build a big refinery....mini refineries too work . And the govt just recently gave 21 licences to companies to build mini refineries.

3.No one is going to sell forex to the government at the price you are saying.

Infact what you are advocating is that the government confiscates the forex in the domiciliary accounts so that it can build refineiries and gives the dom account owners naira in stead. Not going to work. Right now...if I have forex...I would be holding onto it...and if I must get naira...it would be at the parallel market. (Infact...the parallel market makes your argument moot. Why should I get 199 naira per dollar...when I can get 350 naira per dollar at the parallel market.). Finally....it would drive away the foreign investors you cry for.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Promise Turns To Peril As Investors Flee-Bloomberg by chernest2002: 8:40am On Mar 31, 2016
If you drive away investment how then can we do it alone, I just hope buhari looks for experts and give them free hand to work, as for those who want to crucify gej. I have grown up hearing people said Nigeria have spoiled, Nigeria jaga jaga, corruption since 1966 coup, what have gej done different from obj, ibb, abudusalam, abacha, buhari, shagari and others, if others have done well 5years of gej would have not fully reverse the trend. Let's face front and forget the past, Nigeria needs healing more than before, all this name calling is worsening our situation.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Promise Turns To Peril As Investors Flee-Bloomberg by yaki84: 8:40am On Mar 31, 2016
Quakertellicus1:

1.Hindsight is 20/20. Yes...MTN and co came in...but at the time they came in,in 2001, oil prices were on an upward trend.We had the forex to attract them. (And MTN and co charged very high prices intially...those were the days when a sim card cost N5000!).

If Buhari was in power then...and oil prices were going up like they did under Obasanjo....then yes,MTN would be in Nigeria live.

It must also be noted that technology has made it relatively ''cheaper'' to install GSM networks.

2.At the moment, Dangote is the only one who can build a big refinery(He took a loan of $6bn to do it..while he provided $3Bn.). But ....let's be frank one does not need to build a big refinery....mini refineries too work . And the govt just recently gave 21 licences to companies to build mini refineries.

3.No one is going to sell forex to the government at the price you are saying.

Infact what you are advocating is that the government confiscates the forex in the domiciliary accounts so that it can build refineiries and gives the dom account owners naira in stead. Not going to work. Right now...if I have forex...I would be holding onto it...and if I must get naira...it would be at the parallel market. (Infact...the parallel market makes your argument moot. Why should I get 199 naira per dollar...when I can get 350 naira per dollar at the parallel market.). Finally....it would drive away the foreign investors you cry for.

excuse me, 21 licenses to who?
u r giving out licenses without first solving the monetary policies.
how will the investors acess forex that will be fair to them and encourage them to put their monies to this project?
u cant buy dollars at 330 or so at the open market cos they wont be able to get it from cbn, build the refinery at inflated rate n govt thru pppra will come in n give u the price template.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Promise Turns To Peril As Investors Flee-Bloomberg by Nobody: 8:46am On Mar 31, 2016
yaki84:

excuse me, 21 licenses to who?
u r giving out licenses without first solving the monetary policies.
how will the investors acess forex that will be fair to them and encourage them to put their monies to this project?
u cant buy dollars at 330 or so at the open market cos they wont be able to get it from cbn, build the refinery at inflated rate n govt thru pppra will come in n give u the price template.

I daresay there would be some allocation of forex...recall that the forex restriction is not absolute....you can get forex if you prove it is for legitimate means....and mini refineries don't cost as much as the big ones.(The mini-refineries idea was also popular in the last year of the GEJ admin too).

And that goes for increasing refining power.too

Which leads me to my point (last one, because I do have to go)....to increase refining capacity...we need the private sector. Ideally...it would be good to build three new refineries on a public-private investment.

Not by taking money from Nigerians.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Promise Turns To Peril As Investors Flee-Bloomberg by wirinet(m): 9:01am On Mar 31, 2016
yaki84:

that means buhari shud stop wasting n depleting our reserves in the quest of marketing n luring investors to nigeria.

Luring investors? You do not lure investors, they beg to come. Iran is not begging investors and yet many of them are lined up to invest in Iran after the sanctions has been lifted.

China did not need to lure US investors before they closed shop in the US and opened same in China. Once you put in place infrastructure and conducive corruption free business environment, foreign investors will troop in. It was corruption that drove the likes of virgin airlines, Vodafone, Siemens, etc, away.

The Nigerian business environments is too cumbersome and difficult for genuine foreign investor.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria's Promise Turns To Peril As Investors Flee-Bloomberg by yaki84: 9:28am On Mar 31, 2016
wirinet:

Luring investors? You do not lure investors, they beg to come. Iran is not begging investors and yet many of them are lined up to invest in Iran after the sanctions has been lifted.

China did not need to lure US investors before they closed shop in the US and opened same in China. Once you put in place infrastructure and conducive corruption free business environment, foreign investors will troop in. It was corruption that drove the likes of virgin airlines, Vodafone, Siemens, etc, away.

The Nigerian business environments is too cumbersome and difficult for genuine foreign investor.

I disagree wih the corruption aspect, corruption didnt send those guys outta nigeria but policies.
do u know foreign investors like investing in nigeria because they know they can cut corners with the help of nigerians fronting for them?
bobo it is the policies that is driving them away not corruption.
corruption thrives in public sector not in private sector.

if u r talking of multiple taxation that isn't corruption but govt policy.
siemens, vodafone, virgin atlantic left because of maybe multiple taxation but not corruption. who r corrupting them or looting their funds?

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Promise Turns To Peril As Investors Flee-Bloomberg by yaki84: 9:35am On Mar 31, 2016
Quakertellicus1:

I daresay there would be some allocation of forex...recall that the forex restriction is not absolute....you can get forex if you prove it is for legitimate means....and mini refineries don't cost as much as the big ones.(The mini-refineries idea was also popular in the last year of the GEJ admin too).

And that goes for increasing refining power.too

Which leads me to my point (last one, because I do have to go)....to increase refining capacity...we need the private sector. Ideally...it would be good to build three new refineries on a public-private investment.

Not by taking money from Nigerians.

so mobil, total, oando, conoil, forte oil that r big players in the downstream sector why cant they acess this forex to aid nnpc flood the market with fuel?
the last time I checked 70percent of forex demands at cbn are basically from manufacturing sector.
so what r u talking abt?
just like am saying, the private investors r thr ready but u cant force them to put money in the business they already know they r bound to lose.
u cant buy dollar at 320 or so n build a refinery at the end of the day the govt will come dictate the price for u.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Promise Turns To Peril As Investors Flee-Bloomberg by Nobody: 9:59am On Mar 31, 2016
Quakertellicus1:
In other words....the companies want us to loosen forex restrictions.

The problem is...we cannot do that...unless we have enough forex coming in. And with our economy pegged to oil ,we cannot do that. Oilprcies are low.

If we did as the companies are suggesting...it would make things worse faster.

We have devalued our currency in the past from 2naira to the dollar to 220 naira to the dollar last year, it hasnt brought about industrialization instead it only favored foriegn industries at the expense of our local industries, there might be sense in protecting the naira, but it should be done the right way thru stimulating the local industries not thru paper monetary policy.

Our balance of trade needs to improve we should export more locally made stuff.
Re: Nigeria's Promise Turns To Peril As Investors Flee-Bloomberg by godoluwa(m): 10:02am On Mar 31, 2016
naija don suffer
Re: Nigeria's Promise Turns To Peril As Investors Flee-Bloomberg by repogirl(f): 10:05am On Mar 31, 2016
Everyone flees from Booohari except the zombies. grin
Re: Nigeria's Promise Turns To Peril As Investors Flee-Bloomberg by Nobody: 10:06am On Mar 31, 2016
Almajiri1:

These only happen when a baboon Nepa certificate holder is given executive powers.

You don't have any meaningful thing to say. Just shut up, read and learn.. Everything isn't about PDP and APC or tribal bullsh.its

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Promise Turns To Peril As Investors Flee-Bloomberg by tsephanyah(f): 10:10am On Mar 31, 2016
let them flee who messed up Nigeria in the first place, I wish if Nigeria is communists country, like north Korea.
Re: Nigeria's Promise Turns To Peril As Investors Flee-Bloomberg by Firefire(m): 10:11am On Mar 31, 2016
Where is the Nairaland fake resident Economist' called Ngenekwenu ? cheesy

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Promise Turns To Peril As Investors Flee-Bloomberg by saammyy(m): 10:12am On Mar 31, 2016
SLIDEwaxie:
They kept going against Nigeria, and many are not seeing that this is all premeditated!!

Must we devalue our naira for you guys? Must we create an avenue where you invest and syphon back into your country? Because that is all you wanted!

To invest cheap and reap bountifully only for your to develop your land. You send returns and profits back to your parent company in your various countries and pay stipends as taxes here.

You disregard out citizens and strip is of our natural resources.

You take advantage of the greediness of the youths caused by laziness and use them against their own and yet with nothing to show to the host community.

Why do we have to devalue the naira with no source of supporting the economy with industrialization that may help to replenish the depleting reserve thru exportation?

You want us to use more money indirectly to buy products that you produce while you pay less to produce it!

It's that simple!
IF they dont invest, Development is restricted and unemployment increases. I think the Naira is already devalued, its not just official yet. Inflation is high. There is almost a 50 percent increase in locally made goods like Garri. I think he should devalue the naira already.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Promise Turns To Peril As Investors Flee-Bloomberg by InvertedHammer: 10:13am On Mar 31, 2016
/
The West wrote books on economy. Africans read them and claim enlightened. Economics in the developed nations continue to evolve. When US almost went under in 2008, they came up with Quantitative Easing. Some economists would write books on it and Africans will study them and resort to "Garbage in, garbage out".

Kudos to Buhari and Emefiele for throwing away the textbooks and using their brains to assess the reality on ground. Foreign investors are reallocating funds. When Nigeria survives, they will come back. The only thing they care about is profit. If money is in hell, they will follow it. Check out everyone in support of devaluation... They are using terminologies they read in the books which concepts they fairly understand. Economics is not pure science!

If FGN devalues the naira to N250/$, the parallel market price will rise to about N500/$. And the inflation rate folks are mouthing off will be intolerable then.
\

6 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Promise Turns To Peril As Investors Flee-Bloomberg by repogirl(f): 10:14am On Mar 31, 2016
LordVarys:

Let's compare with the Egyptians who recently devalued theirs.

http://m.mgafrica.com/article/2016-03-27-nigeria-vs-egypt-on-the-economy-who-is-smarter-seems-sisi-is-besting-buhari

that is the simple solution but Nigerians are so dumb, it's amazing. We need the outside world if we ourselves want to grow.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Promise Turns To Peril As Investors Flee-Bloomberg by NavierStokes(m): 10:15am On Mar 31, 2016
yaki84:
I watched nta goodmorning nigeria n one of the panelist a former deputy director at cbn said the central bank just discovered more than 20billion dolls in domiciliary accounts, he suggested what d cbn shud is buy this dolls from d owner at the govt official price n inject these monies to the market. u can charge those who need it most n it shud be people from manufacturing sector. sectors that will ad values to the economy.
nigerians in d diaspora still send in dollars ton nigerians down here, I heard more than 2billion dolls is sent to nigerians by the diaspora, so why bar foreign investors from repatriating their funds to their parent countries when nigerians based in foreign countries do assess dolls n send it to nigeria.
cbn n its policies via buhari is killing he economy.

My brother in the light of this what do you think is the true forex reserve in our country, if they say Nigerians have 20billion USD in their accts. Then I ask, is the forex reserve 27 + 20billion USD. Or it's 27 - 20 billion USD.
Neglecting 21billionUSD remittances from Nigerians in the diaspora.

Lies everywhere.
Re: Nigeria's Promise Turns To Peril As Investors Flee-Bloomberg by odomanis: 10:17am On Mar 31, 2016
disloman:
Do you mind them.What I believe is book economics won't solve Nigeria economy woes.We need practical approaches.We gat to go back to the basics before trying all these world bank ideas.Our economy is different from those of developed country.

You are talking of developed countries, did you not read that ivory coast,tanzania,kenya have all overtaken us ? The problem is you guys handed over this economy to some clueless APC government who have indulged in pulling us back. We warned you guys but you wouldn't listen. Now it is happening. keep blaming and making excuses !

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Promise Turns To Peril As Investors Flee-Bloomberg by agrovick(m): 10:18am On Mar 31, 2016
God bless Nigeria grin
Re: Nigeria's Promise Turns To Peril As Investors Flee-Bloomberg by yaki84: 10:21am On Mar 31, 2016
NavierStokes:

My brother in the light of this what do you think is the true forex reserve in our country, if they say Nigerians have 20billion USD in their accts. Then I ask, is the forex reserve 27 + 20billion USD. Or it's 27 - 20 billion USD.
Neglecting 21billionUSD remittances from Nigerians in the diaspora.

Lies everywhere.

my bros in real sense we hv 47+billions of dollars in the system yet bubu is clueless on what to do.
if he save n shore up the reserve to 200billion dollars n at the end 80million nigerians die of starvation n hunger, will it be a credit, achievement or minus to his integrity?

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Promise Turns To Peril As Investors Flee-Bloomberg by kingdompropty: 10:21am On Mar 31, 2016
We have a man that is lost as a president.
Re: Nigeria's Promise Turns To Peril As Investors Flee-Bloomberg by 9jatatafo(m): 10:21am On Mar 31, 2016
Let BUBU and Emiefele do the needful
Re: Nigeria's Promise Turns To Peril As Investors Flee-Bloomberg by guyXander(m): 10:23am On Mar 31, 2016

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Binance And CEO ‘CZ’ Plead Guilty To Federal Charges, Agree To Pay $4.3B Fine / Interest Rates On Fixed Time/tenure Deposits In Nigerian Banks / Meet The Young Entrepreneurs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.