Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,442 members, 7,819,633 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:38 PM

God / Jesus Is Not Great (or Cannot Do Greater Things Than Humans) - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / God / Jesus Is Not Great (or Cannot Do Greater Things Than Humans) (1495 Views)

Somalis----are we not great / God/jesus Must Save Satan First, Before He Could Achieve Saving Human Being. / Images of God, Jesus, Angels And Satan In Various Books/Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

God / Jesus Is Not Great (or Cannot Do Greater Things Than Humans) by huxley2(m): 11:50pm On Jul 27, 2009
Jesus said that any who believes in him would be able to do greater things than he could do?

John 11

11Believe me that I am in the Father, and the Father in me: or else believe me for the very works' sake.

12Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father.

13And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.

14If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it.

Is it really possible for a human to do greater things than God?  What are such greater things that a believer could do that God cannot do?

What is the greatest thing that Jesus/God did? Do you thing that you could surpass that if your have a deep level of believe?

Re: God / Jesus Is Not Great (or Cannot Do Greater Things Than Humans) by SoWhat77(f): 2:14am On Jul 28, 2009
The contradictions in the theory of the trinity. Does a father call himself by the name of his son or tell others that he is his son? Jesus said he and the father were one but this is not in a literal sense. Doesn't the bible say that a husband will leave his father and his mother and he and his wife will become one? This is the same "oneness" that Jesus was referring to. Not a marriage bond, but a bond of total trust and loyalty between the two. There are also other scriptures to support this. The bible has said that no man has looked upon the face of God and lived but countless numbers saw Jesus while he was here on earth. He even touched and healed those ones. People sometimes argue that how could he have performed those miracle if he was not God? Well how did Moses perform the miracle he performed? If God is capable of transferring the life of his son who was a spirit in heaven into the womb of an earthly woman that couldn't he to enable Jesus to perform miracle while on earth.

Also Jesus fell on his face at Mathew 26:39 and prayed"My father if i be possible let this cup pass from me; nevertheless, not as I will but as thou wilt." If Jesus was the same as his father then the prayer would mean nothing. For if he willed not to undergo his upcoming sacrifice then that would have been "Gods will" and he could have simply returned to heaven right then and there. However Jesus always did what his father asked of him and not what he wanted or desired. Also there are many pasages in the bible where Jesus prayed to his father. If he were in fact God then who would he have been praying to? And what would be the importance of the prayer?
Re: God / Jesus Is Not Great (or Cannot Do Greater Things Than Humans) by Abuzola(m): 6:18am On Jul 28, 2009
Exactly, the bible is just a confussion book, i still wonder why many learned people accept the bible just like that as of God no wonder great atheist are pervading amongst them
Re: God / Jesus Is Not Great (or Cannot Do Greater Things Than Humans) by bawomolo(m): 7:26am On Jul 28, 2009
Criss Angel get power pass Jesus

true story cool
Re: God / Jesus Is Not Great (or Cannot Do Greater Things Than Humans) by Nezan(m): 10:31am On Jul 28, 2009
Abuzola:

Exactly, the bible is just a confussion book, i still wonder why many learned people accept the bible just like that as of God no wonder great atheist are pervading amongst them
what makes the koran greater than the bible? goat ate some verses abi?
Re: God / Jesus Is Not Great (or Cannot Do Greater Things Than Humans) by Abuzola(m): 12:19pm On Jul 28, 2009
And so what, if goat should eat my Quran ain't there other copies
Re: God / Jesus Is Not Great (or Cannot Do Greater Things Than Humans) by budaatum: 1:01pm On Jul 28, 2009
Abuzola:

Exactly, the bible is just a confussion book, i still wonder why many learned people accept the bible just like that  as of God no wonder great atheist are pervading amongst them
Is it not true that as far as religious books go, the Koran too is equally as confusing for the ignorant and the blind?
Is it not true that for either book a certain shinning of the eye is required for comprehension?
Abuzola, with all due respect, is it not truer that you yourself are the confused one, and not the Bible that is confusing?

On The Trinity of buda
One explanation
(There are others!)

I am buda atum. To you, words on a computer screen. If you kick, you might kick my words, but I will not feel the pain. Would you understand if I said you kick the Spirit of buda?

When we meet, we will shake hands, we might even hug and kiss one another. If you kick me at that point, I will cry out for you would have hit buda Body. (I will leave it to the individual to work out which of the Trinity of buda you kick!)

When we part, I will take away an impression of you in my mind. I will think of our meeting and what we did. All these thinkings will take place inside buda, and not on her body, or in words.

Is there not a Trinity of buda?

On the Trinity of God

In the beginning, no one saw God. Some say they heard a booming voice, and some a burning bush, and Balaam's ass too did speak. Each made up their idea of God according to their own understanding, which could not have been understanding since they couldn't even understand they were naked! Nor was their one God, but a myriad of them.

And then someone decided to actually look, with open eyes and see God. This person put flesh on the idea that was God and how compassionate it became. No more brimstone and fire, but Loving and Kindness and Compassion, and not only for God, but for you and me and all fellow human beings, the lion not eating the lamb and eternal peace in heaven and on earth.

But that peace as spat on and crucified, and replaced by the paraclete of God divine. Or is this not the one things that connects you and I, Abuzola, that which is in the mind?

Or is this not a Trinity too?

Please note, If Jesus is not great, it is becasue one does not see. For a person who the Angel Gabriel speaks to cannot in any way be a swine.
Re: God / Jesus Is Not Great (or Cannot Do Greater Things Than Humans) by huxley2(m): 1:40pm On Jul 28, 2009
Do you guys realise that this thread is not about the trinity, not about whether Jesus is God. But it is about whether any human with a great belief in Jesus could do greater things than Jesus.
Re: God / Jesus Is Not Great (or Cannot Do Greater Things Than Humans) by SoWhat77(f): 3:16pm On Jul 28, 2009
@ Abuzola please dont take my non belief in the trinity as a example of the bible being flawed becuase it is not. What is flawed is the teachings that have come forth from humans through the years. The bible is very clear and does not contradict itself,but the bible uses a lot of symbolism and metaphores which often times gets misenterpreted.

@ Huxly, I am sorry I misread your thread. To answer your thread I would have to say that no humans could never be more powerful than Jesus becuase Jesus's power is only seccond to Gods. Even the angels in heaven are not as powerful. Jesus was in fact telling us that with faith we could do great things, not with our own power, or power of the mind, but with the power that God could give us. While Jesus was on earth yes he performed miracles as did his disciples but that was not his main goal of coming to earth. His main goal was to preach the truth about Gods kingdom and to then die for our sins. If you look at Jesus's life he suffered a lot on behalf of his preaching and eventually died for it. He also told us that this is what we are supposed to do when he told us to follow his example and go forth making disciples. What Jesus was telling us was that we could do greater things than him, not in performing miracles or feats but by preaching to even more people making even more disciples and suffering even more than he but still standing firm even if it meant our death. I say this death becuase if you think about it, isnt it our faith and belief in Jesus that will mean our salvation? So like I said before the bible uses a lot of symbolism and metaphor.
Re: God / Jesus Is Not Great (or Cannot Do Greater Things Than Humans) by Thor(m): 3:20pm On Jul 28, 2009
When you consider what Jesus did on earth if he really did exist, they are pretty boring and average.

There are thousands of people who did far more than him during the past 2,000 years. Jesus is pretty lame embarassed embarassed
Re: God / Jesus Is Not Great (or Cannot Do Greater Things Than Humans) by Kx: 3:24pm On Jul 28, 2009
[size=8pt]Father 4give them for they know not what they say.[/size]
Re: God / Jesus Is Not Great (or Cannot Do Greater Things Than Humans) by Thor(m): 3:26pm On Jul 28, 2009
Father forgive him and teach him how to use the html code on this forum grin grin grin
Re: God / Jesus Is Not Great (or Cannot Do Greater Things Than Humans) by bawomolo(m): 6:28pm On Jul 28, 2009
Thor:

When you consider what Jesus did on earth if he really did exist, they are pretty boring and average.

There are thousands of people who did far more than him during the past 2,000 years. Jesus is pretty lame embarassed embarassed

criss angel and david blaine approve this message cool
Re: God / Jesus Is Not Great (or Cannot Do Greater Things Than Humans) by budaatum: 9:53am On Jul 29, 2009
huxley2:
Do you guys realise that this thread is not about the trinity, not about whether Jesus is God. But it is about whether any human with a great belief in Jesus could do greater things than Jesus.
Sorry Huxley, I went off topic.

Actually, Jesus is very great indeed, even if one considers the dead people raising, eye opening, and feeding thousands is myth or over elaborations of what actually happened. The fact is he spiritually seems to have done these things and that's a great thing to do indeed. But on top of that, his teachings have shown many more and since and then, to do these same things and much more, like stop people dying in the first place, restoring sight to the blind, and feeding even millions. And people who 'believe' in Jesus seem to be able to do these things too. (I would say, 'understand', but "understanding believers" themselves claim to just believe, so I shall stick to language, pointing out it is not language I share).

However, one must bear in mind the many who claim to 'believe' but cannot remove the forest from their own eyes too.
Re: God / Jesus Is Not Great (or Cannot Do Greater Things Than Humans) by Thor(m): 10:20am On Jul 29, 2009
Jesus died as Jesus was simply a another human being. The story regarding him dying for our sins were made up to try and make him into something bigger and take away the focus from him dying like any other human, which is what he was lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: God / Jesus Is Not Great (or Cannot Do Greater Things Than Humans) by Abuzola(m): 10:45am On Jul 29, 2009
Exactly thor, he never resurrect, the fake prophecy failed, he was presume to rise on monday meaning 3 days and 3 nights mathew 12:40
Re: God / Jesus Is Not Great (or Cannot Do Greater Things Than Humans) by Kx: 11:24am On Jul 30, 2009
Blasphemy in the air? shocked
Re: God / Jesus Is Not Great (or Cannot Do Greater Things Than Humans) by Thor(m): 11:28am On Jul 30, 2009
Kx:

Blasphemy in the air? shocked

Truth and rationality is in the air wink wink
Re: God / Jesus Is Not Great (or Cannot Do Greater Things Than Humans) by alimat2(f): 1:27pm On Jul 30, 2009
@ Abuzola,
Be warned, Stop all this rubbish post about the bible and its Jesus, i don't thin you are a believing Muslim, save ur own soul instead of condemning other peoples faith
Re: God / Jesus Is Not Great (or Cannot Do Greater Things Than Humans) by Maykelly(f): 2:56pm On Jul 30, 2009
alimat 2:

@ Abuzola,
Be warned, Stop all this rubbish post about the bible and its Jesus, i don't thin you are a believing Muslim, save ur own soul instead of condemning other peoples faith
@Abuzola, musl.im trained militant! grin

Jesus the Greatest of the Greater cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

(1) (Reply)

Foreign Media Fueling Ethno-religion Crises In Nigeria / If Oyedepo And Adeboye Are Conmen: Yet They Have Millions Of Followers Then I rather be a constar / Is Alcohol Consumption A Sin?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 117
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.