Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,000 members, 7,817,959 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:58 PM

Which Kitchen Rituals Did You Learn From Your Mother? - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Which Kitchen Rituals Did You Learn From Your Mother? (13125 Views)

20 Top Kitchen Secrets Most People Dont Know / How To Prevent Fire Outbreak In Your Kitchen / Some Unnecessary Kitchen Gadgets (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Which Kitchen Rituals Did You Learn From Your Mother? by Flakky26(f): 12:43pm On Jul 28, 2009
Various kitchen methodology are being passed from mothers to their children particularly their girls. Ranging from how to slice, peel, boil, cook, tidy the kitchen environment, e.t.c.

Please, I will like to know which particular kitchen ritual you have learnt from your mum and you are still using till date. For instance, my mum taught me to always boil rice thoroughly and not to parboil and also tidying the kitchen up immediately after use.
Re: Which Kitchen Rituals Did You Learn From Your Mother? by mafolayomi(f): 1:05pm On Jul 28, 2009
angry angry. too baddddddddd, as i did not learnt any from her, instead i learnt in a terrible way. she was not there when i needed her most. its alllllllll over now anyway smiley smiley smiley
Re: Which Kitchen Rituals Did You Learn From Your Mother? by mightlove(f): 3:59pm On Jul 28, 2009
Doing the dishes immediately after every meal. Dishes must not be left unwashed till morning even after a late dinner. I have come to appreciate it so much. I hate the sight of dirty dishes in the sink.
Re: Which Kitchen Rituals Did You Learn From Your Mother? by ifyalways(f): 4:04pm On Jul 28, 2009
Tidying up the kitchen while cooking,NOT after.
Washing dishes after food.
Covering my hair with a scarf while cooking.
Dont take in babies under 2 yrs with u to the kitchen while cooking.

1 Like

Re: Which Kitchen Rituals Did You Learn From Your Mother? by Fhemmmy: 5:35pm On Jul 28, 2009
Always clean after yourself, never allow plates to pile up, i always see how she always halla my sisters then.
be clean and you will live long grin

1 Like

Re: Which Kitchen Rituals Did You Learn From Your Mother? by Nobody: 5:44pm On Jul 28, 2009
I'm not sure of what you meant by Ritual; but:

Clean up while cooking, or clean the mess up right away.
Don't leave the kitchen while cooking shocked tongue
Faster and better if you try to cook your meals at once (rice on the front left, stew on the rear left, vegies on the rear right, etc)
Don't depend on measuring cups/spoons, use your instinct
Wash your dishes right away, more work/dirtier if you leave it till later on
NEVER hold the knife by the tips unless your pasing it to someone else

etc etc etc

1 Like

Re: Which Kitchen Rituals Did You Learn From Your Mother? by Winnergal(f): 7:00pm On Jul 28, 2009
FL Gators:

I'm not sure of what you meant by Ritual; but:

Clean up while cooking, or clean the mess up right away.
Don't leave the kitchen while cooking shocked tongue
Faster and better if you try to cook your meals at once (rice on the front left, stew on the rear left, vegies on the rear right, etc)
Don't depend on measuring cups/spoons, use your instinct
Wash your dishes right away, more work/dirtier if you leave it till later on
NEVER hold the knife by the tips unless your pasing it to someone else

etc etc etc

Re: Which Kitchen Rituals Did You Learn From Your Mother? by Pittbaby(f): 8:12pm On Jul 28, 2009
Nothing , I will definately be there for my daughter , know what it is like to learn from outsiders ( learning while ridiculed)
Re: Which Kitchen Rituals Did You Learn From Your Mother? by Nobody: 9:18pm On Jul 28, 2009
how to blanch vegetable so they dont lose the green color.

How to hand someone a knife the right way- by the handle.

From my grandma:

how to season a dish using meat broth, not maggi. Thus reducing dependence on chemical seasonings.

I still use maggi though (laziness). But my grandma rarely did.
Re: Which Kitchen Rituals Did You Learn From Your Mother? by Nobody: 9:21pm On Jul 28, 2009
how to make egusi by pouring garri inside.
Re: Which Kitchen Rituals Did You Learn From Your Mother? by Hauwa1: 10:07pm On Jul 28, 2009
davidylan:

how to make egusi by pouring garri inside.
shocked to make am thick? abeg go marry jor grin

too numerous to name. sweet mother i no go forget you cheesy
Re: Which Kitchen Rituals Did You Learn From Your Mother? by maedan(f): 1:45am On Jul 29, 2009
Hmm'n, where to start---? Mumsie taught me to have fun in the kitchen, never act like it's a chore(imagine cooking for a house of 15 or so everyday grin) She made me believe cooking is a hobby, not a task! I was trying to grow up into a tomboy(with four big brothas, what d'you expect? tongue) but she set me straight soon enough - that though a woman's "place" is not the kitchen, you've darn sure got to know your way around it! And oh, one thing she hated was you soaking the amala/fufu pot in the sink. You had to wash it immediately after use. If we were eating and she saw anyone had left any gooey pot to soak, she'd make you leave your meal and wash it up cry wink
Re: Which Kitchen Rituals Did You Learn From Your Mother? by Nobody: 1:56am On Jul 29, 2009
Winnergal:

It simply means, don't hold a knife by the sharp side unless you're handing it to someone else.
(Don't point the sharp side to someone, hold the shapr side while the person recieving the knife raches for the base of the knife)

Re: Which Kitchen Rituals Did You Learn From Your Mother? by Winnergal(f): 2:31am On Jul 29, 2009
FL Gators:

It simply means, don't hold a knife by the sharp side unless you're handing it to someone else.
(Don't point the sharp side to someone, hold the shapr side while the person recieving the knife raches for the base of the knife)

Now i see whatchya mean . . . I wouldn't hold a knife by the tip though, when passing it to someone, wouldn't wanna hurt myself . . .
Re: Which Kitchen Rituals Did You Learn From Your Mother? by Rekky(f): 9:40am On Jul 29, 2009
More Pls, cant wait to read more.
Re: Which Kitchen Rituals Did You Learn From Your Mother? by Fhemmmy: 6:54pm On Jul 29, 2009
Winnergal:

Now i see whatchya mean . . . I wouldn't hold a knife by the tip though, when passing it to someone, wouldn't wanna hurt myself . . .

do u have to be told that?
if u like hold it for the sharp zone now.
Re: Which Kitchen Rituals Did You Learn From Your Mother? by Winnergal(f): 11:13pm On Jul 29, 2009
Fhemmmy:

[b]do u have to be told that?[/b]if u like hold it for the sharp zone now.

yep . . .
Re: Which Kitchen Rituals Did You Learn From Your Mother? by Backup: 2:31am On Jul 30, 2009
What do you mean by ritual?
Re: Which Kitchen Rituals Did You Learn From Your Mother? by Nobody: 7:41am On Jul 30, 2009
tpia.:

From my grandma:

how to season a dish using meat broth, not maggi. Thus reducing dependence on chemical seasonings.

I still use maggi though (laziness). But my grandma rarely did.
Ohh I learned this one too.

She'd even save the left over in the fridge for next cooking.

But one question though, don't you still use maggi for cooking the meat? undecided So you're still dependingon chemicals, but making the soup more tastier with the meat broth.
Re: Which Kitchen Rituals Did You Learn From Your Mother? by Nobody: 2:58pm On Jul 30, 2009
FL Gators:

Ohh I learned this one too.

She'd even save the left over in the fridge for next cooking.

But one question though, don't you still use maggi for cooking the meat? undecided So you're still dependingon chemicals, but making the soup more tastier with the meat broth.

good question.

What she did on that particular day was add the meat directly to the pepper soup she was making. It was fresh meat cut into small pieces- no refrigeration. She always used fresh ingredients btw- you know how they do in the village. They dont frequently buy and store in the fridge like city people.

It was a special soup with herbs for treating cold or malaria. I remember she specifically told me- no maggi, and even before then I doubt she used maggi when cooking at home.

I was amazed when the pepper soup turned out great and as was usual with her cooking, the pot was soon empty even though I think the food was meant for only one of us who was recovering from malaria.
Re: Which Kitchen Rituals Did You Learn From Your Mother? by Nobody: 5:44pm On Jul 30, 2009
tpia.:

good question.

What she did on that particular day was add the meat directly to the pepper soup she was making. It was fresh meat cut into small pieces- no refrigeration. She always used fresh ingredients btw- you know how they do in the village. They dont frequently buy and store in the fridge like city people.

It was a special soup with herbs for treating cold or malaria. I remember she specifically told me- no maggi, and even before then I doubt she used maggi when cooking at home.

I was amazed when the pepper soup turned out great and as was usual with her cooking, the pot was soon empty even though I think the food was meant for only one of us who was recovering from malaria.
Oh okiez. Interesting.
Re: Which Kitchen Rituals Did You Learn From Your Mother? by Fhemmmy: 8:29pm On Jul 30, 2009
Winnergal:

yep . . .

lol
Re: Which Kitchen Rituals Did You Learn From Your Mother? by TOYOSI20(f): 9:07am On Aug 02, 2009
ifyalways:

Tidying up the kitchen while cooking,NOT after.
[b]Washing dishes after food.[/b]Covering my hair with a scarf while cooking.
Dont take in babies under 2 yrs with u to the kitchen while cooking.

yeah ma mom is really particular about all of the above as well, esp. the bolded, . . . . .

and she would always tell me to put the handle of the pots and pans inward like not letting 'em stick out for safety reasons,

and when she wanted to taste the food (which we always did several times cheesy), she would use a separate teaspoon,

she would always prep her ingredients before hand, so cooking was really fun and fast too,

and we really didnt have to spend as much time in the kitchen. . . .

whenever she would put salt in the food she'll throw some of the salt behind her for good luck as well, . . . .LOL!!

It has also become a part of moi as well wink cheesy
Re: Which Kitchen Rituals Did You Learn From Your Mother? by SmashingM(f): 5:22pm On Oct 31, 2009
My mum taught me to always wash my hands in a washing hand bowel and not in a cooking pot or plate even if both are dirty. I so much appreciate this because it disgust me when i see people wash their dirty hands inside a cooking pot or plate.
Re: Which Kitchen Rituals Did You Learn From Your Mother? by mohawkchic(f): 2:26am On Nov 01, 2009
[size=13pt]~I didnt "Learn" per-say. . I observed! grin When i settled into my own home i just went along w/ what is idealy hygenic & incorporated stuff i've observed over the years. . .
[/size]
Re: Which Kitchen Rituals Did You Learn From Your Mother? by Shola2009(m): 3:40am On Nov 01, 2009
What do you mean by ritual?
grin grin
Re: Which Kitchen Rituals Did You Learn From Your Mother? by chic2pimp(m): 4:02am On Nov 01, 2009
HOW TO EAT BELLY FULL cool
Re: Which Kitchen Rituals Did You Learn From Your Mother? by bamboke(f): 11:46am On Nov 02, 2009
Well,over the years,I can't cook in a dirty kitchen,and I tidy up as I am cooking.

Also can't leave a dirty kitchen,when I am through with cooking,no matter how tired I am.

When cooking,I have come to know that grated onions make the soup sweeter than chopped onions.

All these I learnt from mama!
Re: Which Kitchen Rituals Did You Learn From Your Mother? by ubiaa5(f): 8:06pm On Nov 02, 2009
;Dtaste while cooking,so by d time u r done cooking u don chop bellefull.
Re: Which Kitchen Rituals Did You Learn From Your Mother? by Fhemmmy: 8:24pm On Nov 02, 2009
^^^ Lol . . . That is why most women dont have appetite to eat anymore after cooking.
Re: Which Kitchen Rituals Did You Learn From Your Mother? by Hanoobaba(m): 1:49pm On Nov 03, 2009
Always wash cooking materials before usings. Don't talk while removing the feathers of chickens or else they will grow back in small quantities. Before cutting the chicken crop and heart exhale on them first with your mouth. Cover all containers and pots well before going to sleep. Always use a cloth or napkin to remove a stainless steel from the fire (actually that was my first lesson). :-)
Re: Which Kitchen Rituals Did You Learn From Your Mother? by mohawkchic(f): 7:22pm On Nov 03, 2009
Hanoobaba:

Don't talk while removing the feathers of chickens or else they will grow back in small quantities.
Before cutting the chicken crop and heart exhale on them first with your mouth.

[size=13pt] ~ grin Sounds very superstitious. . .[/size]

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Why Are Our Markets Always Dirty? / ###EUROSONIC DISTRIBUTOR: Get Your Kitchen/home Appliances @ Wholesale Prices. / How To Fix Sour Soup

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.