Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,817 members, 7,827,994 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 08:59 PM

Bola Tinubu: My Life As A Cab Driver And Security Guard: PM News - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Bola Tinubu: My Life As A Cab Driver And Security Guard: PM News (37701 Views)

President Buhari's Convoy And Security At Prayer Ground In Daura (video) / Falana Quit Thisday Editorial Board To Protest ‘fictitious’ Report- PM NEWS / Evander Holyfield Fights Bola Tinubu In Lagos, Wole Soyinka Is Referee-pm NEWS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Bola Tinubu: My Life As A Cab Driver And Security Guard: PM News by 2sexycom(m): 12:44pm On Apr 01, 2016
sholatech:
Despite his failings, this is a man to admire. His tenacities as a young man and his achievements these days are worth admiring.
if you think this man made all those monies without illegalities, my friend you are dreaming.

Dangote we know came from a family that has always been filty rich even before he was born, dating back from his grand father's days.

Who is Tinubu's father? He just celebrated 64th. So how did he became filty rich within 30 years+ and owning property and investment worth billions of dollars?

Use your tongue to count your teeth.

Success my foot...
Re: Bola Tinubu: My Life As A Cab Driver And Security Guard: PM News by Nobody: 12:44pm On Apr 01, 2016
chukwukadibia10:
From taxi driver,

You stole ur passenger's money

Come use the money enter drug business.

Come become drug Baron.

Story of your life.
why r u linking him to drug, is he igbo? if he does drug 4 a living like ur ipob brodas he will end up dead in Thailand or indonasia

2 Likes

Re: Bola Tinubu: My Life As A Cab Driver And Security Guard: PM News by DropShot: 12:58pm On Apr 01, 2016
IVORY2009:

bros you too, hv to work on ur grammar, its meant to be "Work on your English grammar" shocked cheesy grin
If you check your keypad, you'll understand that "o" is next to "I". Mine was a typo.

Check me out and you'd understand I can lecture you and your ilks.
Re: Bola Tinubu: My Life As A Cab Driver And Security Guard: PM News by IVORY2009(m): 1:03pm On Apr 01, 2016
DropShot:

If you check your keypad, you'll understand that "o" is next to "I". Mine was a typo.

Check me out and you'd understand I can lecture you and your ilks.

bros, nor dey wex like wexper na, we know u can lecture all of us here on NL, but always double check, b4 u post grin cheesy
Re: Bola Tinubu: My Life As A Cab Driver And Security Guard: PM News by XavierSmiley: 1:04pm On Apr 01, 2016
Re: Bola Tinubu: My Life As A Cab Driver And Security Guard: PM News by 989900: 1:04pm On Apr 01, 2016
Fedayeen:
Is it only me that doesnt believe this Tinubu story?

He might have colored it a bit (everyone does), but he is very close to the truth -- I know two of the names he mentioned, and more (I'm sorry I can't tell more than this on a forum like this, you don't have to believe me either . . . just saying . . .).
Re: Bola Tinubu: My Life As A Cab Driver And Security Guard: PM News by TruthisGOD: 1:58pm On Apr 01, 2016
Dottore:

You said "He just had an easy ride with the emotion of some certain region" or you, or ur pops or anyone among your folks achieve same or counter his efforts. Abeg he's a political hero. Whether you agree or not is inconsequential
Your opinion though. He can't be a hero not to talk of a mentor to me. What is there about his life to learn? His drug syndicates or what? People like him can't be my hero irrespective of his political positions. Talk of mentors call the likes of Washington DC and Newton, those i can emulate.
Re: Bola Tinubu: My Life As A Cab Driver And Security Guard: PM News by Niyinficient(m): 2:04pm On Apr 01, 2016
chukwukadibia10:
From taxi driver,

Come become drug Baron.

Story of your life.

Child of hate.... hate on!
Re: Bola Tinubu: My Life As A Cab Driver And Security Guard: PM News by ShegeYorubawa: 2:16pm On Apr 01, 2016
Tinubu when will you tell us the truth about your life as an illegal immigrant?

When will you tell us the truth about how you and your friend who were desperate for money formed a drug crime syndicate?

When will you tell us about the white man whom you picked from the airport and ran away with his dollars?

When will tell us about the plea bargain you made when you were caught smuggling hard drugs?

Abeg see court records.

1 Like

Re: Bola Tinubu: My Life As A Cab Driver And Security Guard: PM News by iamrealdeji(m): 2:18pm On Apr 01, 2016
agulion:
na the slap make you get big big eyes
grin grin grin grin you bad o
Re: Bola Tinubu: My Life As A Cab Driver And Security Guard: PM News by Nobody: 2:21pm On Apr 01, 2016
seguno2:

Does the bold portion of the story make any sense?

Low income jobs in america are wage jobs and ur usually paid per hour minimum wage and paid weekly. When ur sacked, ur given ur final cheque on the spot. Its chenchere small money. undecided
Re: Bola Tinubu: My Life As A Cab Driver And Security Guard: PM News by iamrealdeji(m): 2:25pm On Apr 01, 2016
I can only say you suffered if only you experienced all these in Nigeria. How many people have the opportunity to travel abroad or have a mum that has expensive trinkets and uncle that has a car in those days?

1 Like

Re: Bola Tinubu: My Life As A Cab Driver And Security Guard: PM News by iamrealdeji(m): 2:34pm On Apr 01, 2016
Jagaban just tell us about your real hustle. The day you mistakenly served 2ounces instead of an ounce to an addict,the day your migo insisted he won't give you free raw so you can pay later,the day you wanted to cook bricks at night and discovered the baking soda has expired and you went out trying to get another baking soda. Jagaban tell us about the day some stick up boys came to your trap house and tried to rob you off your drug money,tell us the day you lost a sure plug's phone number. Tell us about the day police came to grab you,tell us about the your frozen bank accounts. Every grown up man just wants to say he made it legitimately from doing menial job and going to school at the same time

1 Like

Re: Bola Tinubu: My Life As A Cab Driver And Security Guard: PM News by iamrealdeji(m): 2:43pm On Apr 01, 2016
ShegeYorubawa:
Tinubu when will you tell us the truth about your life as illegal immigrant?

When will you tell us the truth about how you and your friend who were desperate for money formed a drug crime syndicate?

When will you tell us about the white man who you picked from the airport and ran away his dollars?

When will tell us about the plea bargain you made when you were caught smuggling hard drugs?

Abeg see court records.
Awon Tinubu lo gbe le awon Chief Keef lowo. Tinubu lived in Chicago,same place Chief Keef is from.and it's the crime capital of United state. Chief Keef and many other Chicago rappers also sold drugs
Re: Bola Tinubu: My Life As A Cab Driver And Security Guard: PM News by 2sexycom(m): 3:05pm On Apr 01, 2016
989900:

He might have colored it a bit (everyone does), but he is very close to the truth -- I know two of the names he mentioned, and more (I'm sorry I can't tell more than this on a forum like this, you don't have to believe me either . . . just saying . . .).
Bros, most of his wealth is from ILLEGAL deals. Quote me anywhere!

Who is Tinubu's father? Dangote we know came from a filthy rich family.

How did he accumulate so much billions of dollars within 30+ years? If I believe this story, make I bend!
Re: Bola Tinubu: My Life As A Cab Driver And Security Guard: PM News by Ayatullah(m): 3:24pm On Apr 01, 2016
chukwukadibia10:
From taxi driver,

Come become drug Baron.

Story of your life.

Where did you read that you ungrateful igbo man who is destined to jump into the lagoon!
Re: Bola Tinubu: My Life As A Cab Driver And Security Guard: PM News by chukwukadibia10: 3:32pm On Apr 01, 2016
Ayatullah:

Where did you read that you ungrateful igbo man who is destined to jump into the lagoon!

Ntoooooor!

En pain u
Re: Bola Tinubu: My Life As A Cab Driver And Security Guard: PM News by psalm121vs1: 3:54pm On Apr 01, 2016
iamrealdeji:
I can only say you suffered if only you experienced all these in Nigeria. How many people have the opportunity to travel abroad or have a mum that has expensive trinkets and uncle that has a car in those days?
..thank you..cos i wonder oo..the man even get beetles...his own version of nothing is light years from where some men like samuel adedoyin..cosmos maduka..nero pharm..started...respect to the man though

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Bola Tinubu: My Life As A Cab Driver And Security Guard: PM News by 989900: 4:03pm On Apr 01, 2016
2sexycom:
Bros, most of his wealth is from ILLEGAL deals. Quote me anywhere!

Who is Tinubu's father? Dangote we know came from a filthy rich family.

How did he accumulate so much billions of dollars within 30+ years? If I believe this story, make I bend!

I am not defending the source of his wealth or lack of (BTW, he is not a 'dollar-billionaire', nor is Dangote a saint).

My point is, the part of the story told in the original post, checks (for the most part).

And, I don't think he mentioned making millions from driving taxis either, nor from his time working with Mobil.
Re: Bola Tinubu: My Life As A Cab Driver And Security Guard: PM News by Nobody: 4:20pm On Apr 01, 2016
Day 1 Hustler cool cool
Re: Bola Tinubu: My Life As A Cab Driver And Security Guard: PM News by hazyfm1: 4:54pm On Apr 01, 2016
TippyTop:
Bola Tinubu: My life as an indicted drug dealer.
That's what most of us wants to read.

How did this indicted money "launderer" become a leader?

How did you become this poor?

1 Like

Re: Bola Tinubu: My Life As A Cab Driver And Security Guard: PM News by TippyTop(m): 4:57pm On Apr 01, 2016
hazyfm1:

How did you become this poor?

I can afford to feed your family for a year, joke apart.
Re: Bola Tinubu: My Life As A Cab Driver And Security Guard: PM News by engrchykae(m): 5:37pm On Apr 01, 2016
Even though u smartly did not mention ur drug experience,i like ur focus in ignoring ur sack and focusing on ur preparation for the accounting test.
Finally God have placed you high in order to uplift others,obj was shown mercy but he blew it,likewise GEJ etc.
God will make some to go through hardships in order to be a worthy steward for his people but its left for me and u to do the right thing or the wrong as tinubu is pursuing selfish ends rather than the interest of the people as chief awolowo.
When u are handwriting begin to write on the wall and u are found wanting,then another man will be given the opportunity and then u will become like obj and those irrelevant king sauls.while a young David with anointing will be leading.
Re: Bola Tinubu: My Life As A Cab Driver And Security Guard: PM News by hazyfm1: 5:47pm On Apr 01, 2016
TippyTop:

I can afford to feed your family for a year, joke apart.

Feed? You can't afford my 1 year rent in 5 years... Seriously
Re: Bola Tinubu: My Life As A Cab Driver And Security Guard: PM News by sholatech(m): 6:14pm On Apr 01, 2016
2sexycom:
if you think this man made all those monies without illegalities, my friend you are dreaming.

Dangote we know came from a family that has always been filty rich even before he was born, dating back from his grand father's days.

Who is Tinubu's father? He just celebrated 64th. So how did he became filty rich within 30 years+ and owning property and investment worth billions of dollars?

Use your tongue to count your teeth.

Success my foot...

Surprised you look at Wealth based on family background..Who was Oprah Winfrey father? Bill Gate? Alakija? Ifeanyi Ubah, Cosmos Maduka? How wealthy was Otedola's father? Mind you, I referred to his weaknesses but still know fully well he had a successful accounting with Mobil/Arthur Andersen before he veered into Politics.
Re: Bola Tinubu: My Life As A Cab Driver And Security Guard: PM News by 2sexycom(m): 6:33pm On Apr 01, 2016
sholatech:

Surprised you look at Wealth based on family background..Who was Oprah Winfrey father? Bill Gate? Alakija? Ifeanyi Ubah, Cosmos Maduka? How wealthy was Otedola's father? Mind you, I referred to his weaknesses but still know fully well he had a successful accounting with Mobil/Arthur Andersen before he veered into Politics.
it's not enough to build the kind of empire he current sits on in Lagos without illegality in the mix.

Is he the only one that has worked top tier corporations?
Re: Bola Tinubu: My Life As A Cab Driver And Security Guard: PM News by Obiwiz(m): 6:38pm On Apr 01, 2016
optionB:
Many are of the opinion that former Lagos state governor, Asiwaju Bola Tinubu was born right at the middle of a money-printing machine, but that is not true.

Some rumours also have it that his parents were very wealthy, so he practically worked for nothing in his life but that is also not true.

The diminutive Nigerian politician had to work his way up the ladder. He was once a cab driver and even a security guard who worked very hard to reach where he is today.

In a special publication by TheNEWS magazine, Tinubu detailed how he worked has a cab driver and a security guard. Here are excerpts from the interview.

Q: When did it strike you to travel out of the country?

A: I was lucky. Even though I was ambitious about travelling out of the country, particularly as my friends like Folabi Salami and Tokunbo Maxwell had just travelled to Germany, I would say that I was just lucky.
Others, like Nurudeen Olowopopo, of blessed memory, and Sola Popoola headed for the United States and it remained Tunde Badejo, Bolaji Agaba and myself. So, the three of us were determined that we must get out of Nigeria, too.

I went to Ikenne, with my late sister, for a big ceremony. We had gone to pick bottles of Coca-Cola from the cold room and wanted to quickly return to the St. Saviour’s Church, where my sister was. There was a sudden rain of bullets and had we not been rushing to the church to ensure that we didn’t miss what was going on there, I would have died. The young man that was standing with me was hit. He slumped and died.

Based on the sad incident and how I had narrowly missed death, my family said to me: ‘This boy, you have always said that you wanted to travel out of the country, it is time to do so.’ So, my mother gathered some money, sold her trinkets to make up for the remaining part of my allowances and joined it with proceeds from the sale of the Volkswagen Beetle given to me by my uncle, the late Ganiyu Tinubu, who used to work at Simpson Street, Ebutte-Metta. He had a Beetle car he bought from a Canadian and had it converted into a convertible, which I used to drive. Nobody taught me how to drive. He asked that I sell it and add the proceeds to the money I needed for my trip. That was what I did.

Bolaji Agaba and I left the same day for the United States, while Badejo left some months later. We got our visas through my family connections. Bolaji’s own had almost expired before we left. On our arrival in the US, we thought we would stay in New York. But Nurudeen Olowopopo said no and we put some money together for Bolaji’s ticket and we headed for Washington D.C. I stayed with the late Sola Popoola at Washington before we started finding our way. We were running out of funds then.

He helped us secure a one-room apartment in Alexandria, Virgina. We got an unregistered used car (they left the licence open) commonly called Gypsy, which we ran as a taxi. We operated at the airport, where we picked passengers, and not anywhere else, like the hotel because it was forbidden for unlicensed cab drivers to do so. We did that for a while to raise some money. We did, and Bolaji went to Tennessee, while I headed for Chicago.

Q: Can you tell us some unpleasant moments that you had then?

A: One experience I will not forget was when I over-charged a naval officer, who was returning to the country. It was not intentional. Apparently, I didn’t know the direction; there was no GPRS in those days to locate directions. So, he gave me the direction to his house in a Virginia suburb. I gave him the price and the man responded with a slap to my face. He said I should know the correct fare to charge to the location he mentioned. He slapped me and gave me the money.

Another experience was when I took a guy whom I didn’t know was drunk. When I drove to his house, he pointed a gun at me instead of paying the fare. He took my leather jacket and said: ‘Get into your car and get lost.’ He did not pay.

Another interesting one was when I was taking the third Accounting class and equally working as a security guard at a construction site. They were very serious with their kind of security. You just had to do that job. There were about six points with six clocks at the site, which the security man must wind every hour and with a dog in hand. So, there was never a chance of trying to catch a nap.

As I was doing my accounting assignment, I fell asleep. I was dead asleep! The inspector came to the site and found me sleeping, with my head on my books. He simply pulled the register and wrote: ‘I have been here. You were sound asleep. So, see me tomorrow.’ When I woke up, I found that Skiddo (the dog’s name) was gone, and then the register. I just went to a corner, cleaned my face and concentrated on my assignment because I knew the job was already gone.
You can’t lose two things. I ensured that I read well for my test and passed the next day. I opted to post their uniform and the cap to them, but suddenly ran into the man and he handed me my cheque and said the job was gone. I told him I knew and we said goodbye to each other! I had to start looking for another job.

Source
http://www.pmnewsnigeria.com/2016/04/01/my-life-as-a-cab-driver-and-security-guard-bola-tinubu/
Three lines appealed to me in this write-up.
Mother sold trinkets and personal valuables to help son realize his dreams. Are fathers always self-centered or something?? We hardly find dem getting involved in dis kinda sacrifice.
Used family connections to get visa.... Hmmm, even as at then? E don tey wey this life rugged o. So, a man without connection, how him go do na?
Lastly, no mention of father in the whole account. Did he lose his dad at an early age? Or the man no play any significant role in his success story?
Re: Bola Tinubu: My Life As A Cab Driver And Security Guard: PM News by Nobody: 8:27pm On Apr 01, 2016
What visa did he travel out on and isn't it against the policy for foreign students to work off campus?

1 Like

Re: Bola Tinubu: My Life As A Cab Driver And Security Guard: PM News by DIVINE78: 9:41pm On Apr 01, 2016
Sunky200:
we all have a story to tell, it's just that tory sweet pass tory

success story is always a sweet and beautiful story.

my story will be sweeter than tinubu's by God grace
Amen. And mine too.

1 Like

Re: Bola Tinubu: My Life As A Cab Driver And Security Guard: PM News by SluttanSlayer: 4:29pm On Jan 25, 2019
He helped us secure a one-room apartment in Alexandria, Virgina. We got an unregistered used car (they left the licence open) commonly called Gypsy, which we ran as a taxi. We operated at the airport, where we picked passengers, and not anywhere else, like the hotel because it was forbidden for unlicensed cab drivers to do so. We did that for a while to raise some money. We did, and Bolaji went to Tennessee, while I headed for Chicago.

And from there started slinging d0pe

Bastard

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Deji Adeyanju Cursed By Pantami's Verified Facebook Handle (Photo) / Tinubu’s Muslim-Muslim Ticket Caused APC’s Defeat In Lagos: Sanwo-Olu (Video) / Three Times The FBI Arrested ‘Corrupt’ Judges In US Just Like The DSS-The Cable

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.