Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,703 members, 7,816,876 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:13 PM

How To Avoid Truck Accidents - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How To Avoid Truck Accidents (12674 Views)

See 30 Of The Weirdest Car Accidents (pix) / 5 Nigerian Big Boys That Were Killed By Power Bike Accidents (Photos) / The Major Cause Of Tyre Burst Accidents In Nigeria ( Pictures Included ) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Avoid Truck Accidents by AutosBay(m): 10:16pm On Apr 01, 2016
Avoiding Truck Accidents

The safest way to pass any truck is on a straight patch of road and as quickly as possible. Bumps in the road, heavy winds, shifting cargo and other factors can all cause a truck to move into your lane unexpectedly. This can cause an accident that is not necessarily the truck driver's fault.

Truck drivers are specially trained to handle the large vehicles they drive and do their best to avoid accidents with regular vehicles. When a truck is in an accident with another vehicle though, it is usually the other driver's fault. Many of these accidents occur because drivers don't know how to properly share the road with a truck.

To that end, here are some tips to remember when dealing with truck traffic:

1. Never drive in front of a truck and slow down or apply the brakes abruptly. Trucks require a lot more stopping distance than cars and cannot make evasive lane changes as quickly either. When you apply your brakes, make sure there isn't a truck close behind you, as most truck drivers will choose to rear-end you rather than cause a worse accident by swerving into another lane.

2. Never pass a truck on the right hand side. It is illegal to do so in most places and for a good reason. The right sides of most trucks have a large blind spot that can easily obscure a full-sized car. Should a truck driver make a right hand turn or lane change, it won't be until your car is getting crushed that the driver will realize you are there. This sort of accident is easily preventable by only passing trucks on the left.

3. Always give a truck sufficient time and space to execute a turn. The larger the truck, the more time and space it needs to complete a turn. Most trucks make wide turns and trying to make the same turn before them can easily cause an accident.

4. Always make it as easy as possible for a truck to pass you. This means moving over into another lane if a truck is coming up behind you. It is easier and safer for a car to make a lane change than a truck. If you can't or don't wish to match the truck's speed, get out of its way!

Also, when a truck wishes to change into your lane, slow down slightly and flash your high-beams twice to let the truck driver know it is okay to make the lane change. This gesture is truly appreciated by professional truck drivers. They will almost always do the same for you.

5. Do not tailgate a truck! Drivers of regular cars that rear-end a large truck can easily die if their car goes under the truck's strong bumper. This type of accident is easily avoided by not tailgating.

6. Always remember to maintain your car's visibility when near a truck. Your car should always be visible in the mirrors of the truck or the risk of an accident increases dramatically. If you are not in the scope of the truck's mirrors, then the driver cannot see you.

7. Use your common sense. The larger vehicle always has the right of way! Do not try to battle a truck for position on any road or street. You and your car will always lose. Furthermore, no one likes it when another vehicle tries to bully its way past.

8. When stopped in traffic, always maintain a distance of a few feet from the rear bumper of a truck. Most trucks have manual shift transmissions and oftentimes roll backward slightly when their brakes are released to begin accelerating. A truck may roll back significantly when starting up a hill and if the front of your car is hit by a backwards-rolling truck, you only have yourself to blame.

9. Never park directly behind a truck. Most truck drivers usually check behind their trucks before backing up but some don't. If you do not leave a truck enough room to back up and exit its parking space, well, don't be surprised if the front of your car is damaged upon your return.

By keeping these simple driving tips in mind, not only will you reduce your risk of being involved in an accident with a truck but you'll also create a safer and more courteous driving environment for all road users.

http://www.topspeedracer.com/avoiding-truck-accidents.html

66 Likes 10 Shares

Re: How To Avoid Truck Accidents by ElrayKhalifah(m): 10:26pm On Apr 01, 2016
Sane human beings be like : i'll try to adhere to these tips to have a safe ride while ZOMBIES be like :any moafucka truck driver should try me and i'll eat out his damn brain

9 Likes

Re: How To Avoid Truck Accidents by AutosBay(m): 10:30pm On Apr 01, 2016
@ ElrayKhalifah I agree with you
Re: How To Avoid Truck Accidents by gmacnoms(m): 10:39pm On Apr 01, 2016
Re: How To Avoid Truck Accidents by yemmit90: 11:12pm On Apr 01, 2016
Thanks so much for sharing this information. Even with all these tips, i think trucks should be restricted to night only on Lagos-Ibadan expressway.

2 Likes

Re: How To Avoid Truck Accidents by AutosBay(m): 12:49pm On Apr 02, 2016
I agree
Re: How To Avoid Truck Accidents by 9icetoo(m): 9:55pm On Apr 02, 2016
yemmit90:
Thanks so much for sharing this information. Even with all these tips, i think trucks should be restricted to night only on Lagos-Ibadan expressway.
in this 21st century? if we apply all the op said and the government gets their head outta their arses to provide us good roads, we wouldn't complain so much about trucks. I admit that a few nutjobs (truckers) exist out there.

3 Likes

Re: How To Avoid Truck Accidents by Nobody: 7:18pm On Apr 03, 2016
Thanks OP. Very informative.

Where are the mods to move this educating piece to the front page?? Not everyone wants to read about wizkid and linda.

1 Like

Re: How To Avoid Truck Accidents by AutosBay(m): 1:47am On Apr 08, 2016
@ masonkz thanks really appreciate
Re: How To Avoid Truck Accidents by lonelydora: 1:54am On Apr 08, 2016
Please adhere to these tips especially if it is Dangote trucks.

Whenever I see a Dangote truck, I don't need a soothsayer to tell me to clear for him.

7 Likes

Re: How To Avoid Truck Accidents by AutosBay(m): 9:30am On Apr 08, 2016
@ Lonelydora I feel it's really the right of way problem that's the main cause of truck accidents

1 Like

Re: How To Avoid Truck Accidents by Nobody: 9:31am On Apr 09, 2016
Lalasticlala, oga seun, this is highly informative, trucks look like snakes too

2 Likes

Re: How To Avoid Truck Accidents by ial: 1:18pm On Apr 09, 2016
ElrayKhalifah:
Sane human beings be like : i'll try to adhere to these tips to have a safe side while ZOMBIES be like :any moafucka truck driver should try me and i'll eat out his damn brain
<iframe src="//www.facebook.com/plugins/follow?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fajose.olayiwola&amp;layout=standard&amp;show_faces=true&amp;colorscheme=light&amp;width=450&amp;height=80" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" style="border:none; overflow:hidden; width:450px; height:80px;" allowTransparency="true"></iframe>
Re: How To Avoid Truck Accidents by DonEffiong(m): 1:19pm On Apr 09, 2016
how to avoid truck accident ? its simple drive in ghost mode

6 Likes

Re: How To Avoid Truck Accidents by sonya5544: 1:21pm On Apr 09, 2016
well written, perfectly thought out.
above all pray before leaving the house.

3 Likes

Re: How To Avoid Truck Accidents by Mutuwa(m): 1:23pm On Apr 09, 2016
This is why the word is called "accident" you are not in charge of what will happen in the next minute.

Nice one Op..above all pray anywhere,anytime.
Re: How To Avoid Truck Accidents by anigbajumo(m): 1:24pm On Apr 09, 2016
At times accident occur beyond human imagination irrespective of how you prevent yerself.

I pray Almighty God will continue to protect us.

2 Likes

Re: How To Avoid Truck Accidents by yousee(m): 1:26pm On Apr 09, 2016
I see a truck guy, two things come to my mind. If he behind and coming on fast, i allow the dude zoom past. Few kms down the road i go pass am.
If im behind him and he is doing shakara on the road, i allow him because i cannot come and go and die hustling road with a truck mbok.

2 Likes

Re: How To Avoid Truck Accidents by datola: 1:32pm On Apr 09, 2016
Very vital information! I saw a fatal accident yesterday that claimed the lives of all occupants of a commercial car and another at Otedola bridge along Berger, Lagos.

Most drivers especially commercial ones are not careful at all. They drag space with dangerous trucks.

That Otedola bridge should be marked dangerous spot.

May we have safe trip all the time.

2 Likes

Re: How To Avoid Truck Accidents by BE811APP: 1:33pm On Apr 09, 2016
Ok... Nice one!

ls make sure some truck drivers read dis too.. grin
Re: How To Avoid Truck Accidents by Nobody: 1:35pm On Apr 09, 2016
wu truck don ep sef? Perfectdanny Sha

1 Like

Re: How To Avoid Truck Accidents by HtwoOw: 1:43pm On Apr 09, 2016
Good tips

Why is it just on FB
Re: How To Avoid Truck Accidents by professore(m): 1:50pm On Apr 09, 2016
This is informative
Re: How To Avoid Truck Accidents by Arisheloaded(m): 1:54pm On Apr 09, 2016
Thanks for this wonderful piece OP!
We pray for divine protection always.
Re: How To Avoid Truck Accidents by Abedfff14: 2:00pm On Apr 09, 2016
ElrayKhalifah:
Sane human beings be like : i'll try to adhere to these tips to have a safe side while ZOMBIES be like :any moafucka truck driver should try me and i'll eat out his damn brain
THIS GOT ME LAUGHING,NIGGAS BE LIKE "TO HELL WITH ANY TRUCK, I 'll DAMN overtake them"
Re: How To Avoid Truck Accidents by Bollinger(m): 2:03pm On Apr 09, 2016
AutosBay:
Avoiding Truck Accidents

The safest way to pass any truck is on a straight patch of road and as quickly as possible. Bumps in the road, heavy winds, shifting cargo and other factors can all cause a truck to move into your lane unexpectedly. This can cause an accident that is not necessarily the truck driver's fault.

Truck drivers are specially trained to handle the large vehicles they drive and do their best to avoid accidents with regular vehicles. When a truck is in an accident with another vehicle though, it is usually the other driver's fault. Many of these accidents occur because drivers don't know how to properly share the road with a truck.

To that end, here are some tips to remember when dealing with truck traffic:

1. Never drive in front of a truck and slow down or apply the brakes abruptly. Trucks require a lot more stopping distance than cars and cannot make evasive lane changes as quickly either. When you apply your brakes, make sure there isn't a truck close behind you, as most truck drivers will choose to rear-end you rather than cause a worse accident by swerving into another lane.

2. Never pass a truck on the right hand side. It is illegal to do so in most places and for a good reason. The right sides of most trucks have a large blind spot that can easily obscure a full-sized car. Should a truck driver make a right hand turn or lane change, it won't be until your car is getting crushed that the driver will realize you are there. This sort of accident is easily preventable by only passing trucks on the left.

3. Always give a truck sufficient time and space to execute a turn. The larger the truck, the more time and space it needs to complete a turn. Most trucks make wide turns and trying to make the same turn before them can easily cause an accident.

4. Always make it as easy as possible for a truck to pass you. This means moving over into another lane if a truck is coming up behind you. It is easier and safer for a car to make a lane change than a truck. If you can't or don't wish to match the truck's speed, get out of its way!

Also, when a truck wishes to change into your lane, slow down slightly and flash your high-beams twice to let the truck driver know it is okay to make the lane change. This gesture is truly appreciated by professional truck drivers. They will almost always do the same for you.

5. Do not tailgate a truck! Drivers of regular cars that rear-end a large truck can easily die if their car goes under the truck's strong bumper. This type of accident is easily avoided by not tailgating.

6. Always remember to maintain your car's visibility when near a truck. Your car should always be visible in the mirrors of the truck or the risk of an accident increases dramatically. If you are not in the scope of the truck's mirrors, then the driver cannot see you.

7. Use your common sense. The larger vehicle always has the right of way! Do not try to battle a truck for position on any road or street. You and your car will always lose. Furthermore, no one likes it when another vehicle tries to bully its way past.

8. When stopped in traffic, always maintain a distance of a few feet from the rear bumper of a truck. Most trucks have manual shift transmissions and oftentimes roll backward slightly when their brakes are released to begin accelerating. A truck may roll back significantly when starting up a hill and if the front of your car is hit by a backwards-rolling truck, you only have yourself to blame.

9. Never park directly behind a truck. Most truck drivers usually check behind their trucks before backing up but some don't. If you do not leave a truck enough room to back up and exit its parking space, well, don't be surprised if the front of your car is damaged upon your return.

By keeping these simple driving tips in mind, not only will you reduce your risk of being involved in an accident with a truck but you'll also create a safer and more courteous driving environment for all road users.

http://www.topspeedracer.com/avoiding-truck-accidents.html

Agreed. But no matter how many fail safes you put in place, if the truck drivers don't know what they are doing or their vehicles are not road worthy, there will always be accidents. As is the case in Nigeria.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Avoid Truck Accidents by Abedfff14: 2:03pm On Apr 09, 2016
personally, i do not like seeing any car in my front when driving, u know what i mean
Re: How To Avoid Truck Accidents by mekybabe1: 2:27pm On Apr 09, 2016
Wow! Nice and informative! Thanks.
Re: How To Avoid Truck Accidents by ijebu2020: 2:42pm On Apr 09, 2016
Nice one @Op very educative..threads like ths shld make the Fp most..not some snake posts,some unclad posts,being pushed to Fp by those extra lazy mods

2 Likes

Re: How To Avoid Truck Accidents by LoremIpsum: 2:45pm On Apr 09, 2016
Re: How To Avoid Truck Accidents by Vokians(m): 2:56pm On Apr 09, 2016
Nice information. Being Carefull And Patient as a driver and road user will prevent chance of occurence of accident. Moreover, pray before leaving your house.
Re: How To Avoid Truck Accidents by adedam007(m): 3:09pm On Apr 09, 2016

(1) (2) (Reply)

Beautify Your Car Rim With This FINE RIM DECORATOR (4000: red,blue,white,black.) / I’ve Sold 30 Stolen Vehicles – Engineer / Is Buying A Car A True Sign Of Success?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.