Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,141 members, 7,814,995 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:10 AM

Isaac Adaka Boro And Niger Delta Militancy - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Isaac Adaka Boro And Niger Delta Militancy (28117 Views)

Buhari Deploys Service Chiefs To Niger Delta Over Rising Militancy. / Who Killed Isaac Adaka Boro? / Major Jasper Isaac Adaka Boro(Sep 10, 1938 – May 9, 1968) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Isaac Adaka Boro And Niger Delta Militancy by naijaking1: 7:56pm On Jul 30, 2009
SapeleGuy:

Yes, whilst you are at it, Don't forget Ukpabi Asika, Ike Nwachukwu and others.
Ukpabi Asika was a friend of Awo, and was not Biafran, and wasn't a soldier. Ike Nwachukwu--is other is supposed to be Hausa, and his wife Yoruba. That's all I know about these 2, maybe you can elaborate.

grafikdon:

I am not sure where you're going with this, a play on antithesis, maybe? Ukpabi Asika and Ike Nwachukwu were considered traitors. Ike Nwachukwu's alleged involvement in the Asaba massacre nailed the coffin.

I never heard about that.
Re: Isaac Adaka Boro And Niger Delta Militancy by SapeleGuy: 8:15pm On Jul 30, 2009
Please tell us where ASIKA was from, since you say he was not Biafran.
Re: Isaac Adaka Boro And Niger Delta Militancy by naijaking1: 8:24pm On Jul 30, 2009
SapeleGuy:

Please tell us where ASIKA was from, since you say he was not Biafran.
Come on dude, you're playing games. Everybody knows that Asika was an Onitsha man, like Zik, like Ifeajuna.
Maybe you don't know that all Igbos did not support Biafra, so they were not Biafrans; just like all Ijaws did not fight against Biafra like Boro. Asika was at university of Lagos or Ibadan as a lecturer during the war, many people were not surprised at his decision, because of long running dispute between Nnewi people(Ojukwu) and the Onitsha people.
It's the reality of wars, especially civil wars that divide people, families, etc.
Re: Isaac Adaka Boro And Niger Delta Militancy by SapeleGuy: 8:38pm On Jul 30, 2009
naijaking1:

Come on dude, you're playing games. Everybody knows that Asika was an Onitsha man, like Zik, like Ifeajuna.
Maybe you don't know that all Igbos did not support Biafra, so they were not Biafrans; just like all Ijaws did not fight against Biafra like Boro. Asika was at university of Lagos or Ibadan as a lecturer during the war, many people were not surprised at his decision, because of long running dispute between Nnewi people(Ojukwu) and the Onitsha people.
It's the reality of wars, especially civil wars that divide people, families, etc.

Exactly, why do your colleagues accuse ijaws, efiks, martians and anything else that moves of betrayal when some of the biggest traitors to the Biafran cause were in fact Igbo.

1 Like

Re: Isaac Adaka Boro And Niger Delta Militancy by grafikdon: 8:46pm On Jul 30, 2009
naijaking1:

I never heard about that.

He was allegedly present when under Murtala Moha[b]mad[/b]'s command unarmed civilians were gathered and massacred. One Rev. Father who survived the horror (courtesy of falling corpses that shielded him from bullets.) testified during the Oputa Panel.
Re: Isaac Adaka Boro And Niger Delta Militancy by naijaking1: 8:46pm On Jul 30, 2009
SapeleGuy:

Exactly, why do your colleagues accuse ijaws, efiks, martians and anything else that moves of betrayal when some of the biggest traitors to the Biafran cause were in fact Igbo.

Is that your point? Well, there's never a 100% agreement on any war. We're on this thread because unlike other detractors/betrayers/saboteurs, somebody wants to celebrate Adaka Boro's treachery against his eastern Nigeria region. I don't see any thing worth celebrating about the man.
Re: Isaac Adaka Boro And Niger Delta Militancy by grafikdon: 9:04pm On Jul 30, 2009
SapeleGuy:

The Biafran cause was like a can of mixed nuts. Thousands of Ijo, Annang, Ogoni, Ibibio etc believed in the cause and fought hard for it to the end. I mus say that the biggest traitors to the Biafran cause were the likes of Ike Nwachukwu and Ukpabi Asika (My humble opinion). It's a little bizarre that Nwachukwu's been parading himself lately as the "Quota" for "Igbo Presidency". . . whatever that means.
Re: Isaac Adaka Boro And Niger Delta Militancy by sley4life(m): 11:00pm On Jul 30, 2009
the truth cant be hidden
Re: Isaac Adaka Boro And Niger Delta Militancy by Onlytruth(m): 11:21pm On Jul 30, 2009
This how Cardinal Rex Lawson saw things during the war.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GN3Odkz60NI
Re: Isaac Adaka Boro And Niger Delta Militancy by naijaking1: 11:23pm On Jul 30, 2009
This is news to me about Ike Nwachukwu.
Re: Isaac Adaka Boro And Niger Delta Militancy by bombay: 11:40pm On Jul 30, 2009
Fellow nigerians this is not a case of we vs against them haba this was a piece i got from the internet that i wanted to share with you guys must you people always burn the fire of tribalism.
maxsiollun much respect nice piece keep it up.
Re: Isaac Adaka Boro And Niger Delta Militancy by naijaking1: 12:52am On Jul 31, 2009
bombay:

Fellow nigerians this is not a case of we vs against them haba this was a piece i got from the internet that i wanted to share with you guys must you people always burn the fire of tribalism.
maxsiollun much respect nice piece keep it up.

If you fecthed ant-infested firewoods, you'll be asking lizards and other ant eaters to visit you.
How do you expect a discussion about Adaka Boro to go without exposing the man for what he really was
Re: Isaac Adaka Boro And Niger Delta Militancy by bombay: 1:12am On Jul 31, 2009
If you fecthed ant-infested firewoods, you'll be asking lizards and other ant eaters to visit you.
How do you expect a discussion about Adaka Boro to go without exposing the man for what he really was .

Naijaking1 you are very funny i must say at least he tried he fought for something.You that is castigating the man boro what have you fought for in your life and you have the guts to open your smelling stinking mouth to vomit rubbish.
He stood up against the system at that time.
we are in 2009 and you moroons are still dwelling in the past.
You shit heads that have been saying rubbish what have you done to better the situation nothing.
You all are waste of space.
You people are not worthy enough to clean adaka boro's boots.
You sit behind your computer in you dingy little room and spew trash.

He his and still the greatest example of man that stood up against the system in the whole of Nigeria.
You guys are bunch of F##king sell outs.
Re: Isaac Adaka Boro And Niger Delta Militancy by naijaking1: 1:24am On Jul 31, 2009
bombay:

How do you expect a discussion about Adaka Boro to go without exposing the man for what he really was .

Naijaking1 you are very funny i must say at least he tried he fought for something.You that is castigating the man boro what have you fought for in your life and you have the guts to open your smelling stinking mouth to vomit rubbish.
He stood up against the system at that time.
we are in 2009 and you moroons are still dwelling in the past.
You shit heads that have been saying rubbish what have you done to better the situation nothing.
You all are waste of space.
You people are not worthy enough to clean adaka boro's boots.
You sit behind your computer in you dingy little room and spew trash.

He his and still the greatest example of man that stood up against the system in the whole of Nigeria.
You guys are bunch of F##king sell outs.

Hatred, hatred, and hatred will not get you a job, or even a life.
The amount of time you spend worrying, fighting, crying, bleeding, 'enving', and complaining about Igbos in your life and on N/L, you could as well go get yourself a decent job.
You despeartely wish you're Igbo, but you will never be.
Re: Isaac Adaka Boro And Niger Delta Militancy by bombay: 1:45am On Jul 31, 2009
Guy you are delusioned and you are living in a fantasy come out of it.
Nobody is anti ibo it is your insecurity that is betraying you.

1 Like

Re: Isaac Adaka Boro And Niger Delta Militancy by udezue(m): 6:47am On Jul 31, 2009
Adaka Boro is NO HERO. He is a FOOL. A bigot who sold his region.

Ike Nwawchukwu, Asika, Elechi, by now should be shot dead for their own evil acts.
Re: Isaac Adaka Boro And Niger Delta Militancy by naso2(m): 5:10pm On Jul 31, 2009
udezue:

Adaka Boro is NO HERO. He is a FOOL. A bigot who sold his region.

Ike Nwawchukwu, Asika, Elechi, by now should be shot dead for their own evil acts.

Adaka boro is no hero to the ibos as Ojukwu is seen as a rebel/crminal by the north.

Adaka boro "sold" (if you say so) his region in an attempt to get a better deal for his kith and kin in the same manner that Ojukwu rebelled against the FG to "emancipate" the Ibos.

Adaka is as much a hero to the IJAWS as Ojukwu is to the Ibos.

Some of you have shown enough hate for Adaka boro , saying that he was just a common crimnal who had a band of touts and did not in any way influence the outcome of the war ,while at the same time branding him a sabotuer that betrayed his brothers. This in itself flies in the face of logic .

The Ibos say that "someone's neighbour could be more of a brother". The saying is hinged on the fact that the proximity associated
with neighbourliness promotes mutual understanding and empathy. However the actions of the regional eastern government was louder than this saying , the Ijaws and other minorities saw that they were just neighbours , WITHOUT UNDERSTANDING OR EMPATHY FROM THE IBOS.

@Niajaking1

You said not fighting for ones region was criminal not to talk about crossing enemy lines to fight against his region. But you seem not to appreciate the fact that the war was undertaken primarily for the benefit of the Ibos with an eye on the oil from the ND to develop and run the new government. It was not for the region or the minorities that peopled the oil producing communities. If a regional government that was crying foul was in itself propagating injustice in its sphere of control , then I will jugde that government more sinful. why? because the eastern leaders knew the right thing and the underdevelopment of the oil communities stared them in the face. In the story of the good samaritan in the bible Jesus made it clear that empathy and understanding are the 2 most important ingredients of neighbourliness. Not necessarily location or music of REX lawson as some would want us to believe. My boss iS yoruba and he is a core rex lawson fan.

When people like you call Adaka boro traitors it reminds one of how new political parties these days find it difficult to practice internal democracy but expect IWU to be a fair umpire when general elections are held. To Ijaws the traitors were the few of our sons that supported Biafra.

The struggle for identity and political space by ijaws predates indepedence and this was by every means frustrated by our "Ibo brothers". This led to a mass exodus to AG from NCNC and later the formation of the NDC etc. The lesson for the ijaws is simply that the major tribes only want the minorities to survive on their( ibo,yoruba,hausa) goodwill.

Your statement that the movement of PTI to kaduna 42 years after indepedence justifies a passive disposition to injustice as you would have expected ADAKA boro to act . It does not in any way diminish the the weight of the evils of the eastern government.

If you ask me the Ibos have not fared better in status in the nigerian project than it was in the pre-civil war days. The minorities though still bedeviled by developmental challenges have made marginal progress. Would it have been better in the Biafran government? That is a thesis for polical scientists , but I doubt.

There is no record anywhere that the Ike nwachukwus of this world have apologised to the ibos for their role in the civil war , but now they are the igbo elders been celebrated everywhere. However Boro is the devil that should be exhumed and tried. selah

2 Likes

Re: Isaac Adaka Boro And Niger Delta Militancy by SapeleGuy: 7:28pm On Jul 31, 2009
First of all, I don't agree with the concept of majority or minority, it is a mechanism for cheating. All ethnicities are equal.

How did the Ijaws, Efik, Kalabari etc become part of the Eastern Region?

Was their inclusion in the Eastern region a product of a dominant Igbo empire or a fortuitous stroke of the colonial pen?

If their inclusion was down to the pen can we honestly say they were happy about it?

2 Likes

Re: Isaac Adaka Boro And Niger Delta Militancy by Nobody: 7:29pm On Jul 31, 2009
could be because most of them were included in the old Kalabar kingdom and thus had similar cultures.

Not to mention a lot of intermixing.
Re: Isaac Adaka Boro And Niger Delta Militancy by Onlytruth(m): 7:56pm On Jul 31, 2009
tpia.:

could be because most of them were included in the old Kalabar kingdom and thus had similar cultures.

Not to mention a lot of intermixing.

This is a powerful point. It appears as if some people in the delta are bent on blaming the Igbo for "marginalizing" them in the eastern region, but they forget how the region came to be in the first place. Or why it is difficult to delineate the boundaries (socially, morally, historically, religiously, culturally, and otherwise) between Igbo and others in the east.
I understand the grouse about the politics of the 50s and 60s (the east had the worst politicians in terms of preserving regional interests- just my view). But I make bold to say that they were not anywhere near what is happening to the delta today (there are now local rogues masquerading as leaders of N/delta). Personally as an Igbo, I wonder whether there is any merit to caring about the delta. I really don't need to (we have enough problems in core Igboland). But I am compelled by our blood links and proximity to care.
Re: Isaac Adaka Boro And Niger Delta Militancy by Ibime(m): 8:10pm On Jul 31, 2009
Ijawland has never been part of Calabar Kingdom, or anyones Kingdom for that matter. . . . at least not until 1914.

Na So made very good points. There is nothing to add to it.
Re: Isaac Adaka Boro And Niger Delta Militancy by naijaking1: 8:22pm On Jul 31, 2009
SapeleGuy:

First of all, I don't agree with the concept of majority or minority, it is a mechanism for cheating. All ethnicities are equal.

How did the Ijaws, Efik, Kalabari etc become part of the Eastern Region?

Was their inclusion in the Eastern region a product of a dominant Igbo empire or a fortuitous stroke of the colonial pen?

If their inclusion was down to the pen can we honestly say they were happy about it?

Thank you, I have said several times that there's no permenent minority or majority, and that those concepts vary with issue, time, and location.
History books are clear on how eastern Nigeria was formed--- by the colonialists. These colonialist came by the sea, so the riverine people---Ijaws, Ogonis, and some Igbos were actually the first to encounter the whiteman.  

These riverine people were also the first to be educated, that being the case, they occupied the first set of available employment opportunities that came via the whiteman's arrival. Civilization in the eastern region spread from the riverine areas inwards to Enugu, northwards towards Nsukka areas. So, if eastern Nigeria was formed as a result of anybody's domination, it was the domination of the riverine Ijaw, Efik, and Ogoni people who acquired western education before those in the hintherland.

There is no village in Igboland that did not have a teacher or an English translator from these riverine areas 70-90 years ago. These riverine people were respected and feared next only to the whiteman they worked for. They got the best choice of food, wine, and women, and a lot of them left their genetic finger prints all over the place. They also spoke Igbo, though with a different accent that eventually became incorporated into Igbo vocabulary. Check out any long established institition in the former eastern Nigeria, such as DMGS, CIC, Stella Maris, Methodist college, etc, you will notice the monumental efforts of people from Ijaw, Efik on the lives of Igbos today.

Just because oil was discovered a few years ago, and we lost a civil war does not change thousands of years of history.
Re: Isaac Adaka Boro And Niger Delta Militancy by naijaking1: 8:51pm On Jul 31, 2009
na_so:

Adaka boro is no hero to the ibos as Ojukwu is seen as a rebel/crminal by the north.
Adaka boro "sold" (if you say so) his region in an attempt to get a better deal for his kith and kin in the same manner that Ojukwu rebelled against the FG to "emancipate" the Ibos.
Some of you have shown enough hate for Adaka boro , saying that he was just a common crimnal who had a band of touts and did not in any way influence the outcome of the war ,while at the same time branding him a sabotuer that betrayed his brothers. This in itself flies in the face of logic .
The Ibos say that "someone's neighbour could be more of a brother". The saying is hinged on the fact that the proximity associated
with neighbourliness promotes mutual understanding and empathy. However the actions of the regional eastern government was louder than this saying , the Ijaws and other minorities saw that they were just neighbours , WITHOUT UNDERSTANDING OR EMPATHY FROM THE IBOS.

@Niajaking1

You said not fighting for ones region was criminal not to talk about crossing enemy lines to fight against his region. But you seem not to appreciate the fact that the war was undertaken primarily for the benefit of the Ibos with an eye on the oil from the ND to develop and run the new government. It was not for the region or the minorities that peopled the oil producing communities. If a regional government that was crying foul was in itself propagating injustice in its sphere of control , then I will jugde that government more sinful. why? because the eastern leaders knew the right thing and the underdevelopment of the oil communities stared them in the face. In the story of the good samaritan in the bible Jesus made it clear that empathy and understanding are the 2 most important ingredients of neighbourliness. Not necessarily location or music of REX lawson as some would want us to believe. My boss iS yoruba and he is a core rex lawson fan.

When people like you call Adaka boro traitors it reminds one of how new political parties these days find it difficult to practice internal democracy but expect IWU to be a fair umpire when general elections are held. To Ijaws the traitors were the few of our sons that supported Biafra.
The struggle for identity and political space by ijaws predates indepedence and this was by every means frustrated by our "Ibo brothers". This led to a mass exodus to AG from NCNC and later the formation of the NDC etc. The lesson for the ijaws is simply that the major tribes only want the minorities to survive on their( ibo,yoruba,hausa) goodwill.

Your statement that the movement of PTI to kaduna 42 years after indepedence justifies a passive disposition to injustice as you would have expected ADAKA boro to act . It does not in any way diminish the the weight of the evils of the eastern government.
If you ask me the Ibos have not fared better in status in the nigerian project than it was in the pre-civil war days. The minorities though still bedeviled by developmental challenges have made marginal progress. Would it have been better in the Biafran government? That is a thesis for polical scientists , but I doubt.

There is no record anywhere that the Ike nwachukwus of this world have apologised to the ibos for their role in the civil war , but now they are the igbo elders been celebrated everywhere. However Boro is the devil that should be exhumed and tried. selah
You're making a serious attempt to re-write Nigerian history as we know it. The war was no fought so that Igbos could control the oil in Niger Delta, you see, that was the same line used by Gowon to win many Ijaw people over. There is no truth in that.

When easterners(Igbos, Ijaw, Efiks, Ibibios, etc) were massacred in the north, where were you?
When the north asked to secced, where were you?
When the eastern Nigerian government with Okoi Arikpo as foreign minister negoatiated the Aburi accord that could have prevented the civil war, where were you?
When some British agents and Hausa emirs turned around and asked Gowon to reject the accord, because oil had just been discovered, where you?

I ask you where you were, because like your brother Ibime, you are beginning to develope another unsubstaiated theory about the civil war

Your referrence to Ag. NCNC, and NDC also showed that you either don't know the whole story, or you just want to narrate the part that suits you the best.

The eastern Nigeria politicians stoked dissidents among the northern minorities of the middle belt in Benue/plateau to the annoyance and frustration of NPC, so in return the NPC stoked disagreement among eastern minorities too. It was alleged that NCNC was planning to help the middle belt become a state, so the NPC sold the idea of a minority state to some eastern Nigerians. The trick was obvious, because of successful creation of Midwestern state in an attempt to break the power of the western region.

Even though we lost the war, and would certainly look back to acknowledge certain mistakes, refusal to creat a minority state out of the eastern region at wartime was not one of them.
Re: Isaac Adaka Boro And Niger Delta Militancy by sley4life(m): 8:54pm On Jul 31, 2009
old school
Re: Isaac Adaka Boro And Niger Delta Militancy by naijaking1: 8:56pm On Jul 31, 2009
"That's where the knowledge is at"
Re: Isaac Adaka Boro And Niger Delta Militancy by Nobody: 9:17pm On Jul 31, 2009
Ibime:

Ijawland has never been part of Calabar Kingdom, or anyones Kingdom for that matter. . . . at least not until 1914.

Na So made very good points. There is nothing to add to it.

misrepresentation. At most, the Benin influence is the only logical differential.

facts:

Andoni people are Ijoid

Ijaws relocated from Old Calabar (founded by them) to New Calabar

Bonny: capital of an ancient Ijaw kingdom

Opobo: founded by Jaja after leaving Bonny due to some differences

Infighting between Bonny and Andoni over control of the slave trade and access to waterways.

The Calabar Kingdom comprised of loosely governed states that included: Annang, Akamkpa, Efik, Eket, Ibibio, Ikom, Ogoja, Opobo (now Ikot Abasi), Oron, Western Cameroon, and the offshore island of Fernando Po (now Equatorial Guinea). Calabar served as the capital city for the Kingdom as well as for the Efik State.

wiki

So parts of Ijoids were in Calabar kingdom. Most of the rest formed a confederation of Ijaws native to the central Niger delta, with Ijaws from the eastern part forming the Kingdom of Bonny.

feel free to correct part of this analysis you consider wrong.

The perpetuation of this ideologically reinforced system of domination, in which the king played a central role, lasted as long as the Atlantic slave trade from Bonny, but with its ending both the religious system based on juju and the kingship underwent severe strain and eventually collapsed, as epitomized by the withdrawal of Jaja, who was of slave origin, and the bulk of the population from Bonny to Opobo, in Andoni territory in the 1870s.

www.yorku.ca/nhp/seminars/2003_04/Lovejoy-Richardson_Bonny.doc+andoni+people+in+old+calabar&cd=24&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us">http://74.125.93.132/search?q=cache:RtRvt1YSkO4J:www.yorku.ca/nhp/seminars/2003_04/Lovejoy-Richardson_Bonny.doc+andoni+people+in+old+calabar&cd=24&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

the name changes and various spellings of African peoples, names and languages are one reason for the ambiguity and what seems like "dead-end trails" in African history.
Re: Isaac Adaka Boro And Niger Delta Militancy by Ibime(m): 10:31pm On Jul 31, 2009
tpia.:

misrepresentation. At most, the Benin influence is the only logical differential.

facts:

Andoni people are Ijoid

Ijaws relocated from Old Calabar (founded by them) to New Calabar

Bonny: capital of an ancient Ijaw kingdom

Opobo: founded by Jaja after leaving Bonny due to some differences

Infighting between Bonny and Andoni over control of the slave trade and access to waterways.

So parts of Ijoids were in Calabar kingdom. Most of the rest formed a confederation of Ijaws native to the central Niger delta, with Ijaws from the eastern part forming the Kingdom of Bonny.

feel free to correct part of this analysis you consider wrong.

Someones been reading too many books. . . .  grin grin grin

The Niger-Delta is untamable and has never been tamed due to the topology of the area and the fact that when tribes were attacked, they simply entered their canoes and moved to the next island.

Kalabaris used to live in Calabar. They were attacked by the Efiks and they ran away to Rivers State.

Andonis used to be part of Bonny, they then moved up the coast and chased away the Efiks who used to live in present-day Andoni

Ijaws were always persecuted in Benin and Warri, so they ran East to present-day Rivers State. All the Ijaws in present day Rivers State can trace their ancestry to Benin or Warri. Infact Warri means "my fathers house" in my language.

One Ijaw kingdom (Bonny) did subjugate other Ijaw kingdoms, but Ijawland has never been in another Kingdom. If fight starts, Ijaws will either fight-back or runaway to any of the plentiful islands in the Niger-Delta, but would never submit themselves to non-Oru people, therefore it was impossible for them to belong to any local empire except the British.

2 Likes

Re: Isaac Adaka Boro And Niger Delta Militancy by Dede1(m): 10:53pm On Jul 31, 2009
na_so:

@Niajaking1

From the advent of Europeans to coast of Africa to the development of Port Harcourt when crude oil was an unknown substance to most Nigerians, there was no agitation of the so-called Niger Delta.

When the coal money was used in the development of Port Harcourt, the only urban city in eastern region of Nigeria comparable to Enugu, which was the capital, there was no agitation for the so-called Niger Delta. When oil was struck in Owerri and Ikot Ekpene vicinities, there was no agitation for Niger Delta.

However, when crude oil was struck in Oloibiri in 1956 and following the demand of NCNC for creation of two more regions out of the north and one out of the west, the so-called Niger Delta was born. Please could you inform the year Nigeria took first stock of its crude oil exportation?

In 1964 federal election, Brass and Rivers provinces, two of the several provinces that made-up genuine Niger, Benue, Imo, Urashi and Utamiri delta, fielded 9 candidates. Out these 9 seats, NCNC won 8 seats while NDC won 1 seat. It must be recalled that winners of the 8 seats comprised of Igbo, Ijo and Ogoni. This election spoke volume for the so-called Niger Delta agitation by all Ijo folks.

What you called Ibo brother’s frustration of Ijo or any other minority in eastern region of Nigeria was a simple seed of political discord planted by detractors of eastern region. I can conclude that the manifestation of such discord created the indelible enmity between certain the ethnic groups in the former eastern Nigeria.

If my history is not blurred, NDC did not join Action Group in any alliance. I recalled that AG, NCNC, NEPU and UMBC formed alliance known as UPGA while NPC, NNDP and NDC formed alliance known as NNA. I am surprised how the Ijo leadership has suddenly realized how it was lured into deep slumber by their Hausa/Fulani/Kanuri/Nupe masters.

I urge Ndigbo to remember what had transpired and educate the young generations to avoid the colossal blunder committed by Ironsi.
Re: Isaac Adaka Boro And Niger Delta Militancy by naijaking1: 10:53pm On Jul 31, 2009
@tpia
Thanks for the reference
@Ibime
Please post some reliable, authentic reference one could rely upon to substantiate your theory(story)
Re: Isaac Adaka Boro And Niger Delta Militancy by naso2(m): 11:05pm On Jul 31, 2009
naijaking1:

You're making a serious attempt to re-write Nigerian history as we know it. The war was no fought so that Igbos could control the oil in Niger Delta, you see, that was the same line used by Gowon to win many Ijaw people over. There is no truth in that.

When easterners(Igbos, Ijaw, Efiks, Ibibios, etc) were massacred in the north, where were you?
When the north asked to secced, where were you?
When the eastern Nigerian government with Okoi Arikpo as foreign minister negoatiated the Aburi accord that could have prevented the civil war, where were you?
When some British agents and Hausa emirs turned around and asked Gowon to reject the accord, because oil had just been discovered, where you?

I ask you where you were, because like your brother Ibime, you are beginning to develope another unsubstaiated theory about the civil war

Your referrence to Ag. NCNC, and NDC also showed that you either don't know the whole story, or you just want to narrate the part that suits you the best.

The eastern Nigeria politicians stoked dissidents among the northern minorities of the middle belt in Benue/plateau to the annoyance and frustration of NPC, so in return the NPC stoked disagreement among eastern minorities too. It was alleged that NCNC was planning to help the middle belt become a state, so the NPC sold the idea of a minority state to some eastern Nigerians. The trick was obvious, because of successful creation of Midwestern state in an attempt to break the power of the western region.

Even though we lost the war, and would certainly look back to acknowledge certain mistakes, refusal to creat a minority state out of the eastern region at wartime was not one of them.

Oga all these your questions be like JAMB exam o.

We can choose to get academic and  go on and on , while the truth is glossed over. From all your post above I do not see any ground where my questions have been answered. There are reports that the plan for the Biafran government was hatched by Ojukwu at least one year before the announcement. As bad as the massacre of non-northerners was (which still happens), the Ojukwu led team used it effectively as a propaganda machinery to forge towards a desired end -- Seccesion.

Yes the north earlier planned to secced but retraced its steps when reports of vast deposit of crude in the ND  which will define economic power  in the years to come reached it. The Ibos too where bent on enjoying the oil wealth. Do you know that a lot of foreigners that were sympathetic to the Biafran cause did so because of the perception of marginalisation of the east in the face of the oil deposits in the region?

On the ABURI accord it is generally perceived by a lot of analyst that Ojukwu chose to ask for "confederation"  which was interpreted by Gowon to be same as  "federation". Ojukwu was adviced against this , since it was clear that  Gowon's poor understanding made it easy to reach an "accord". Hence the fact that Gowon  was going to renege was inevitable.  

"When some British agents and Hausa emirs turned around and asked Gowon to reject the accord, because oil had just been discovered, where you?"

Oga when was oil discovered  in nigeria was it at the time of the war?

I think we are in agreement here, I said it ealier that the TRIAD(yoruba,ibo,hausa) always see the minorities as pawns to be used and made to survive only on "goodwill". The North was marginalising the middle belt , the Ibos saw an opportunity and went with the message of "salvation" while forgeting the sufferings and marginalisation of their minorities. IT WAS AS CASE OF CHARITY BEGINNING ABROAD (NOT AT HOME).

I see your arrogance point here. The same disdain with which Ojukwu expected the Ijaws to fall in line without  any form of consensus building.
If Ojukwus declaration was 15 months after Boro's 12- day revolution  against the forces of oppression (regional and federal) and the Ibos still felt there was no need to sell the biafran idea properly to the Ijaws then I see why Boro is still a criminal in thine eyes.

While state creation in itself was not an end , it surely was a step in the right direction. It created some space in the political arena for the Ijaws.

Again I ask why are the Ibos still celebrating the Ike Nwachukwus of this world  who is a son and bad-mouth Boro was at best a neighbour?

2 Likes

Re: Isaac Adaka Boro And Niger Delta Militancy by Onlytruth(m): 11:05pm On Jul 31, 2009
Dede1:

From the advent of Europeans to coast of Africa to the development of Port Harcourt when crude oil was an unknown substance to most Nigerians, there was no agitation of the so-called Niger Delta.

When the coal money was used in the development of Port Harcourt, the only urban city in eastern region of Nigeria comparable to Enugu, which was the capital, there was no agitation for the so-called Niger Delta. When oil was struck in Owerri and Ikot Ekpene vicinities, there was no agitation for Niger Delta.

However, when crude oil was struck in Oloibiri in 1956 and following the demand of NCNC for creation of two more regions out of the north and one out of the west, the so-called Niger Delta was born. Please could you inform the year Nigeria took first stock of its crude oil exportation?

In 1964 federal election, Brass and Rivers provinces, two of the several provinces that made-up genuine Niger, Benue, Imo, Urashi and Utamiri delta, fielded 9 candidates. Out these 9 seats, NCNC won 8 seats while NDC won 1 seat. It must be recalled that winners of the 8 seats comprised of Igbo, Ijo and Ogoni. This election spoke volume for the so-called Niger Delta agitation by all Ijo folks.

What you called Ibo brother’s frustration of Ijo or any other minority in eastern region of Nigeria was a simple seed of political discord planted by detractors of eastern region. I can conclude that the manifestation of such discord created the indelible enmity between certain the ethnic groups in the former eastern Nigeria.  

If my history is not blurred, NDC did not join Action Group in any alliance. I recalled that AG, NCNC, NEPU and UMBC formed alliance known as UPGA while NPC, NNDP and NDC formed alliance known as NNA. I am surprised how the Ijo leadership has suddenly realized how it was lured into deep slumber by their Hausa/Fulani/Kanuri/Nupe masters.

I urge Ndigbo to remember what had transpired and educate the young generations to avoid the colossal blunder committed by Ironsi.

I truly appreciate your rich post!  Please post more because there are few Easterners who know the history of that region well, thanks to the years of lies from the victors' press!
Re: Isaac Adaka Boro And Niger Delta Militancy by Onlytruth(m): 11:11pm On Jul 31, 2009
na_so:

Again I ask why are the Ibos still celebrating the Ike Nwachukwus of this world  who is a son and bad-mouth Boro was at best a neighbour?

I don't see any Igbo worth his salt celebrating Ike Nwachukwu. The Igbo have a reasonable expectation of him. The guy's name is Omar Sanda for ikoro's sakes!

Until you see him lead Ohanaeze or lead other respectable Igbo bodies, then just pretend he is not there, cos that is what Igbo's are doing with his ilk.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

Nigerian Soldier Shot On The Leg In Cameroon During Fight With Boko Haram (Pic) / FG Places Prominent Nigerians Under Watch / Osun APC Primary Results: Oyetola In Early Lead

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 127
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.