Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,230 members, 7,815,297 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:24 AM

Major Jasper Isaac Adaka Boro(Sep 10, 1938 – May 9, 1968) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Major Jasper Isaac Adaka Boro(Sep 10, 1938 – May 9, 1968) (8405 Views)

Who Killed Isaac Adaka Boro? / Isaac Adaka Boro & Niger Delta Militancy / Isaac Adaka Boro And Niger Delta Militancy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Major Jasper Isaac Adaka Boro(Sep 10, 1938 – May 9, 1968) by Nobody: 12:24pm On Sep 17, 2014
BIRTH AND GROWING UP:
Isaac Jasper Boro was born to a Kaiama family in present day Bayelsa State of Nigeria. As a Police Officer, He moved to Lagos where he lived with his Aunty in Kadiri Road, Surulere. While with his Aunty, Adaka Boro was plotting Armed Liberation of the Niger-Delta People, Specificaly the Ijaw Nation from the unfavorable policies of the Nigerian State and Eastern Regional Government at that time. He formed and served as the leader of Niger Delta Volunteer Force (NDVF) in 1966.

REPUBLIC OF NIGER DELTA, FEB. 1966

The coming of the ‘January boys’ in 1966 and the near collapse of the Nigerian project orchestrated by the Biafran threats snowballed the discontent of the Ijaw youths and in February, Isaac Boro led a squad of 150 volunteers to pullout the Ijaw people from Nigeria under the new state called The Niger Delta Republic.
However, the movement was crushed within TWO WEEKS, Boro was arrested by the Military and was jailed for treason by General Johnson Thomas Aguiyi Ironsi.

RELEASE FROM MILITARY GULAG
Major Boro narrowly escaped execution and was given the job of setting up amphibious units by GENERAL YAKUBU GOWON. He was commissioned into the Military along with NDVF heroes and given the Rank of a Major. When he joined the Nigerian Army, he moved to No.2 Wilmer, Apapa, Lagos.

BORO ROLE IN THE BIAFRAN WAR
During the period leading to the Biafran War, Isaac Boro had informed the Earstern Region Governor, Odimegwu Ojukwu that the Ijaws will not be a part of the Biafran Secessionist Movement. On declaration of the BIAFRAN Republic(With the Niger Delta Occupied), Adaka Boro was made Commander of 19th Brigade under Col Benjamin Adekunle(Of Blessed memory) who as at that time was the GOC 3rd Div. Boro led the Military under him,mostly Ijaws to clear the Niger Delta of Biafran Rebels. Which he successfully did within a record short period and was hailed by the Military Headquarters in Lagos. He famously DANCED IN Okrika when the locals came out to celebrate their Hero.

AMBUSH AND DEATH MAY 9, 1968
The Biafrans had been whipped, Isaac Adaka Boro went out on private visit in Okrika , he was ambushed by fleeing BIAFRAN Forces. He was shot and killed.

WHO CONSPIRED WITH THE FLEEING BIAFRANS TO KILL BORO?

Opinions was divided as to the Conspirators. While some alleged that Benjamin Adekunle had a hand by some Ijaws, another set of Ijaws(Majority Ijaw Forces) however disputes it.
According to Roy Tomo-Spiff who was among Boro's Force that fought against the Biafran Rebels at that time.

"Now I want you to know that Adekunle was nowhere close to Ogu where Boro died, nor was he a commander of any particular unit or units. Adekunle, the Scorpion, was a Division Commander with a lot of Majors, Lt. Cols. and Cols. under him and he loved brave soldiers, so Maj. Boro couldn’t have been his adversary. The worst he could have done if Boro was insubordinate was to demote him or Court Marshall him. But Maj. Boro was a very brave soldier and was respected by all."

So, the story that Adekunle planned the killing or killed Major Boro is false as it was only a rumor. And we all know that rumors appeal only to lunatics.

GENERAL YAKUBU GOWON was also visibly angry that he had to redeploy Benjamin Adekunle so as to restore confidence of the Ijaw People and replaced him with Col Olusegun Obansajo.
The circumstance surrounding Boro's death is still not clear, but one thing is Certain, [b]HE WAS AMBUSHED BY FLEEING BIAFRANS

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Major Jasper Isaac Adaka Boro(Sep 10, 1938 – May 9, 1968) by Nobody: 12:24pm On Sep 17, 2014
BORO'S WAKE-KEEPING/BURIAL
the wake keeping for Major Boro that lasted weeks at his father’s residence at Olowojeunjeje Street in Ajegunle. Nigerians from all tribes were present and also the Military Government. Boro was hailed as a Hero by the Gowon Administration. He was buried in Ikoyi Cemetery, Lagos. However,in April 2013, his body was Exhumed and reburried in Kaiama, Bayelsa State

WHO CONSPIRED TO KILL BORO?

It is incumbent on the Bayelsa State Government, The Rivers State Government and the Federal Government to reopen investigation into who killed Boro and the conspirators to Boro's death.

A HERO EVEN AT DEATH
Major Jasper Isaac Adaka Boro will always be remembered as a hero and Liberator of not only the Niger Delta but also as the WARRIOR that stopped the rebel Biafrans in Niger Delta. His heroics shall never go in vain.

LONG LIVE NIGER DELTA
LONG LIVE NIGERIA

#Barcanista

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Major Jasper Isaac Adaka Boro(Sep 10, 1938 – May 9, 1968) by Nobody: 12:25pm On Sep 17, 2014

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Major Jasper Isaac Adaka Boro(Sep 10, 1938 – May 9, 1968) by ebucha: 12:56pm On Sep 17, 2014
It is a known fact that the Niger-Deltans were the first to declare a republic, reason was due to oppression from the then eastern regional government lead by Ojukwu.

11 Likes

Re: Major Jasper Isaac Adaka Boro(Sep 10, 1938 – May 9, 1968) by Nobody: 1:40pm On Sep 17, 2014
ebucha: It is a known fact that the Niger-Deltans were the first to declare a republic, reason was due to oppression from the then eastern regional government lead by Ojukwu.
Ofcourse.. See the famous speech made by Major Boro on that day of Declaration

""Today is a great day, not only in your lives, but also in the history of the Niger Delta. Perhaps it will be the greatest day for a very long time. This is not because we are going to bring heaven down, but because we are going to demonstrate to the world what and how we feel about oppression. Before today, we were branded robbers, bandits, terrorists or gangsters but after today, we shall be heroes of our land.

"For this reason, and for the good name of the Ijaws, do not commit atrocities such as rape, looting or robbery. Whatever people say, we must maintain our integrity. Moreover, you know it is against Ijaw tradition to mess about with women during war. You have been purified these many days. Be assured that if you do not get yourselves defiled within the period of battle, you shall return home safe even if we fail".

At no time did we agree nor consulted with the Igbo Nation to for a joint republic.

10 Likes

Re: Major Jasper Isaac Adaka Boro(Sep 10, 1938 – May 9, 1968) by Nobody: 2:13pm On Sep 17, 2014
Lakpalakpa I can sight you...

2 Likes

Re: Major Jasper Isaac Adaka Boro(Sep 10, 1938 – May 9, 1968) by lakpalakpa: 2:16pm On Sep 17, 2014
The Biafrans had no good intention for the minority tribes in the then Eastern region. If they had succeeded we would have had a master-slave system.

8 Likes

Re: Major Jasper Isaac Adaka Boro(Sep 10, 1938 – May 9, 1968) by Nobody: 2:20pm On Sep 17, 2014
lakpalakpa: The Biafrans had no good intention for the minority tribes in the then Eastern region. If they had succeeded we would have had a master-slave system.

This was a consensus at that time, coupled with the atrocities of the Biafrans rebels in Niger Delta. If they had meant well they would have restricted the biafran declaration to the Igbo territory.

3 Likes

Re: Major Jasper Isaac Adaka Boro(Sep 10, 1938 – May 9, 1968) by Ngwakwe: 2:38pm On Sep 17, 2014
barcanista: This was a consensus at that time, coupled with the atrocities of the Biafrans rebels in Niger Delta. If they had meant well they would have restricted the biafran declaration to the Igbo territory.

I know it was the British that gave the name to that geographical area.

Where were the boundaries of Niger Delta, their people, language and Culture?

On a more serious note my Birth and Baptismal Certificate has this bold letter Heading (Anglican Communion, Aba District. Diocese of Niger Delta)

2 Likes

Re: Major Jasper Isaac Adaka Boro(Sep 10, 1938 – May 9, 1968) by Nobody: 2:46pm On Sep 17, 2014
Ngwakwe:

I know it was the British that gave the name to that geographical area.

Where were the boundaries of Niger Delta, their people, language and Culture?

On a more serious note my Birth and Baptismal Certificate has this bold letter Heading (Anglican Communion, Aba District. Diocese of Niger Delta)
The Boundaries were/are clearly defined. The Anglican Church that baptized you is not a government parastatal and they will be forgiven for even calling Lagos a Northern State. Their nomenclature does not substitute what is recognized officially.
There are tribes and ethnic groups in the Delta which did not start to exist in the '60s, so I don't see the boundary contention/confusion here.

2 Likes

Re: Major Jasper Isaac Adaka Boro(Sep 10, 1938 – May 9, 1968) by OrlandoOwoh(m): 3:17pm On Sep 17, 2014
I remember how I used to go to the Isaac Boro Park, Port Harcourt as a child during festive periods.

3 Likes

Re: Major Jasper Isaac Adaka Boro(Sep 10, 1938 – May 9, 1968) by Nobody: 3:23pm On Sep 17, 2014
OrlandoOwoh: I remember how I used to go to the Isaac Boro Park, Port Harcourt as a child during festive periods.
Whenever I am in Rivers State I always visit Boro Park. I feel an environment of bravery and a sense of pride whenever I am there.
Re: Major Jasper Isaac Adaka Boro(Sep 10, 1938 – May 9, 1968) by OrlandoOwoh(m): 4:03pm On Sep 17, 2014
barcanista: Whenever I am in Rivers State I always visit Boro Park. I feel an environment of bravery and a sense of pride whenever I am there.
Yea.
Re: Major Jasper Isaac Adaka Boro(Sep 10, 1938 – May 9, 1968) by Nobody: 4:06pm On Sep 17, 2014
Sounds like a traitor to me.....

1 Like

Re: Major Jasper Isaac Adaka Boro(Sep 10, 1938 – May 9, 1968) by ebucha: 4:08pm On Sep 17, 2014
lakpalakpa: The Biafrans had no good intention for the minority tribes in the then Eastern region. If they had succeeded we would have had a master-slave system.

No don't just conclude that the Igbos had no good intension. From experience and events over the years you discover that Igbo don't really understand the concept of 'real' politics, warfare, aliance, religion,propaganda, military ete. One will naturally assume that Ojukwu who is a graduate of history and a general should know these things before going to war. Instead of making it an "Igbo war "he should have made it a "religious war". In doing that, he will have a total control of all the SS,SW, the then midle belt including the present day benue, kogi, plateau,ofcourse the then president, Gowon who is a christain will have no choice. At the end of the day the Army will be divided. But unfortunately, Ojukwu never thought like a general and a historian.
Re: Major Jasper Isaac Adaka Boro(Sep 10, 1938 – May 9, 1968) by Nobody: 4:12pm On Sep 17, 2014
WHO CONSPIRED TO KILL BORO?
It is incumbent on the Bayelsa State
Government, The Rivers State Government and
the Federal Government to reopen investigation
into who killed Boro and the conspirators to
Boro's death.
I don't know why I find this funny.

grin
I think the Rivers and Bayelsa state governments have more important things to do than to reopen a case that happened donkey years ago.

Life must surely go on
Re: Major Jasper Isaac Adaka Boro(Sep 10, 1938 – May 9, 1968) by Nobody: 4:18pm On Sep 17, 2014
berem: I don't know why I find this funny.

grin
I think the Rivers and Bayelsa state governments have more important things to do than to reopen a case that happened donkey years ago.

Life must surely go on
No, we need to uncover some misery. If I am in Position I will definitely move for this. Its Ijaw Affair anyway
Re: Major Jasper Isaac Adaka Boro(Sep 10, 1938 – May 9, 1968) by Nobody: 4:19pm On Sep 17, 2014
ebucha: No don't just conclude that the Igbos had no good intension. From experience and events over the years you discover that Igbo don't really understand the concept of 'real' politics, warfare, aliance, religion,propaganda, military ete. One will naturally assume that Ojukwu who is a graduate of history and a general should know these things before going to war. Instead of making it an "Igbo war "he should have made it a[b] "religious war". In doing that, he will have a total control of all the SS,SW[/b], the then midle belt including the present day benue, kogi, plateau,ofcourse the then president, Gowon who is a christain will have no choice. At the end of the day the Army will be divided. But unfortunately, Ojukwu never thought like a general and a historian.
You are a CONFUSED dolt if you think Niger Deltans share in your religious bigotry. I won't speak for Yorubas because they will speak for themselves.

2 Likes

Re: Major Jasper Isaac Adaka Boro(Sep 10, 1938 – May 9, 1968) by Ngwakwe: 4:20pm On Sep 17, 2014
barcanista: The Boundaries were/are clearly defined. The Anglican Church that baptized you is not a government parastatal and they will be forgiven for even calling Lagos a Northern State. Their nomenclature does not substitute what is recognized officially.
There are tribes and ethnic groups in the Delta which did not start to exist in the '60s, so I don't see the boundary contention/confusion here.

Help us with the Tribes, languages and boundary.

2 Likes

Re: Major Jasper Isaac Adaka Boro(Sep 10, 1938 – May 9, 1968) by Nobody: 4:24pm On Sep 17, 2014
Ngwakwe:

Help us with the Tribes, languages and boundary.
What has that got to do with this? where did anyone argue on land/boundary dispute?
Re: Major Jasper Isaac Adaka Boro(Sep 10, 1938 – May 9, 1968) by feedthenation(m): 5:09pm On Sep 17, 2014
A very good write up.

On reflection, those guys in the 1960s could have done more for the young republic by setting it on paths of greatness, unfortunately, personal differences hampered all these from actualising.

Come to think of it, these guys were heros at my age now (30) when they are controlling things.

2 Likes

Re: Major Jasper Isaac Adaka Boro(Sep 10, 1938 – May 9, 1968) by Nobody: 5:34pm On Sep 17, 2014
feedthenation: A very good write up.

On reflection, those guys in the 1960s could have done more for the young republic by setting it on paths of greatness, unfortunately, personal differences hampered all these from actualising.

Come to think of it, these guys were heros at my age now (30) when they are controlling things.
lolssss our present crop are weaklings and keybooard warriors. We have opportunity to press for our right using the instrument of the pen and power of Social network

2 Likes

Re: Major Jasper Isaac Adaka Boro(Sep 10, 1938 – May 9, 1968) by Iykopee(m): 5:49pm On Sep 17, 2014
Finally, have we been liberated from the shackles of the oppressors? Maybe under biafra, before this day, we wud have been liberated or have sometin better than present day Nigeria.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Major Jasper Isaac Adaka Boro(Sep 10, 1938 – May 9, 1968) by JANK23H(m): 4:06pm On Sep 19, 2014
Boro will forever remain an Ijaw warrior;a great man indeed.

Unfortunately not many people know about him and the Ijaw struggle. For some,the ND agitation only stated during wiwa's protests. The Ijaws had always seen the injustice in Nigeria and have never felt at home in this falsehood.

Interestingly,those who are fiercely agitating for a break-away were once loving Nigeria, and conspired to thwart the Ijaw dream but still wanted an Ijaw assistance when it came to fulfilling theirs. Like I said in some other thread,before they knew it was morning,the Ijaws had already woken up.

As for me,the Boro dream is still very much alive.

1 Like

Re: Major Jasper Isaac Adaka Boro(Sep 10, 1938 – May 9, 1968) by Nobody: 4:20pm On Sep 19, 2014
JANK23H: Boro will forever remain an Ijaw warrior;a great man indeed.

Unfortunately not many people know about him and the Ijaw struggle. For some,the ND agitation only stated during wiwa's protests. The Ijaws had always seen the injustice in Nigeria and have never felt at home in this falsehood.

Interestingly,those who are fiercely agitating for a break-away were once loving Nigeria, and conspired to thwart the Ijaw dream but still wanted an Ijaw assistance when it came to fulfilling theirs. Like I said in some other thread,before they knew it was morning,the Ijaws had already woken up.

As for me,the Boro dream is still very much alive.
God Bless You. We all know that those people that are preaching breakup but at the same time using propaganda so as to "Attach" Ijaw to their strings. Anyway, just like you said.... before they knew it was morning,the Ijaws had already woken up.

2 Likes

Re: Major Jasper Isaac Adaka Boro(Sep 10, 1938 – May 9, 1968) by MisterLongman(m): 4:22pm On Sep 19, 2014
This great man was tagged a nuisance, tout, rogue by the igbos........ Anybody against their selfish agenda back in 1967 was a devil.....

4 Likes

Re: Major Jasper Isaac Adaka Boro(Sep 10, 1938 – May 9, 1968) by papparatzzi2013: 4:29pm On Sep 19, 2014
Barcanista, thanks for this thread. Isaac Boro fought for his people, so that they can be free from shackles and manacles of the people that were oppressing them, in the name of Eastern Region.

He was a brave Nigerian soldier, a true son of Niger Delta, that should be celebrated like the Black Scorpion.

4 Likes

Re: Major Jasper Isaac Adaka Boro(Sep 10, 1938 – May 9, 1968) by Nobody: 4:31pm On Sep 19, 2014
MisterLongman: This great man was tagged a nuisance, tout, rogue by the igbos........ Anybody against their selfish agenda back in 1967 was a devil.....
We know why some sections across the Niger detest the Man and other Greats of Nigeria...

2 Likes

Re: Major Jasper Isaac Adaka Boro(Sep 10, 1938 – May 9, 1968) by Nobody: 4:33pm On Sep 19, 2014
papparatzzi2013: Barcanista, thanks for this thread. Isaac Boro fought for his people, so that they can be free from shackles and manacles of the people that were oppressing them, in the name of Eastern Region.

He is a brave Nigerian soldier, a true son of Niger Delta, that should be celebrated like the Black Scorpion.
He was celebrated in 1968 nby the Military Government in Lagos, In fact, He was buried in Ikoyi Cemetery by the Government in military style(Then Lagos Was the Seat of Power). Ikoyi Cemetery house prominent Nigerians of those days that succumbed to death.

1 Like

Re: Major Jasper Isaac Adaka Boro(Sep 10, 1938 – May 9, 1968) by papparatzzi2013: 4:33pm On Sep 19, 2014
ebucha: No don't just conclude that the Igbos had no good intension. From experience and events over the years you discover that Igbo don't really understand the concept of 'real' politics, warfare, aliance, religion,propaganda, military ete. One will naturally assume that Ojukwu who is a graduate of history and a general should know these things before going to war. Instead of making it an "Igbo war "he should have made it a "religious war". In doing that, he will have a total control of all the SS,SW, the then midle belt including the present day benue, kogi, plateau,ofcourse the then president, Gowon who is a christain will have no choice. At the end of the day the Army will be divided. But unfortunately, Ojukwu never thought like a general and a historian.

Do you think religion is a factor in SW politics? You are on a very long thing, because all families have members practising at least 2 faiths, if not all the 3 -- Christianity, Islam and traditional.

1 Like

Re: Major Jasper Isaac Adaka Boro(Sep 10, 1938 – May 9, 1968) by Nobody: 4:38pm On Sep 19, 2014
papparatzzi2013:

Do you think religion is a factor in SW politics? You are on a very long thing, because all families have members practising at least 2 faiths, if not all the 3 -- Christianity, Islam and traditional.
I know some yorubas that Practise all 3 Religions. It is no biggie in SW and SS. That is why you will NEVER hear of religious crisis in SW and SS

2 Likes

Re: Major Jasper Isaac Adaka Boro(Sep 10, 1938 – May 9, 1968) by papparatzzi2013: 4:53pm On Sep 19, 2014
barcanista: I know some yorubas that Practise all 3 Religions. It is no biggie in SW and SS. That is why you will NEVER hear of religious crisis in SW and SS

Ironsi jailed Isaac Boro for treason, for daring to secede and these lousy people expected Gowon to fold his arms, why they try to secede too.

They are always right in their eyes, while others are always wrong.

6 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Ladipo Market Demolished / Breaking News! Tune In To AIT / We Don't Know If Our Husbands Are Alive Or Dead; Boko Haram Refugees Reveal.PICS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.