Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,932 members, 7,817,721 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:56 PM

Would you send your child to a boarding school? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Would you send your child to a boarding school? (10736 Views)

Can You Send Your Child To This School ? (Photo) / Share The Crazy Funny Things That Happened While In Boarding School / Before You Send Your Daughter To A University In Ghana, Please Read This. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Would you send your child to a boarding school? by cushman(m): 3:28pm On Nov 14, 2005
Everything has it's advantages and disadvantages so is a boarding school.

I attended a boarding secondary school myself and i was able to learn very well from the experience; i can now organize myself well, know how to stay with different people from different background etc... I always dream of my experiences and it was quite an adventure.

...and ofcourse i was able to pick a terrible habit which is making me feel very miserable.

so...

Would you send your child to a boarding school?
Re: Would you send your child to a boarding school? by fabian(f): 4:39pm On Nov 14, 2005
In Nigeria? that depends on the school!
Re: Would you send your child to a boarding school? by casper(m): 6:17pm On Nov 14, 2005
HELLth YESSSSS wink
Re: Would you send your child to a boarding school? by IAH(f): 7:50pm On Nov 14, 2005
No, No and NO! I went to a boarding school and I didn't really like the experience. I was always homesick. When I think about all the scary things, dining-hall food, wicked seniors, dirty hostels, etc. I just don't want my kids to go through all that. I don't want such training/experience/adventure for my lovely kids.
Re: Would you send your child to a boarding school? by Seun(m): 8:03pm On Nov 15, 2005
Am I going to leave the training of my children to a bunch of underpaid and frustrated housemasters/housemistresses? No way! To take my children out of my custody, they will need to obtain a supreme court ruling.

I will especially not leave a female child to the horrors of the famous girls' boarding schools in Nigeria. I will not let them turn my daughter (or son) into a monster!
Re: Would you send your child to a boarding school? by Ka: 3:35pm On Nov 16, 2005
It seems the main justification that parents cite for sending their child to boarding school is that 'it toughens them up'.

I think there's a big problem with the parents if they feel that they cannot train their children to be strong and independent themselves, and instead have to surrender their role as the number one influence in their child's life to a bunch of complete strangers whose morality and parental abilities are completely unknown.

1 Like

Re: Would you send your child to a boarding school? by Seun(m): 4:05pm On Nov 16, 2005
Did I mention that many teachers are poorly paid and a little bit sadistic? Not to mention that, unlike parents, they are not expected to show any special concern or love to students who might need such.

It's hard for me to understand why a woman would undergo the pains of childbirth only to give up the child to strangers. If you can outsource the training of your child, why not go all the way and outsource the painful process of childbirth? My point is that I don't like the idea at all!
Re: Would you send your child to a boarding school? by cushman(m): 12:55pm On Nov 17, 2005
But it really depends on the type of boarding school right?
Re: Would you send your child to a boarding school? by Seun(m): 1:15pm On Nov 17, 2005
The only boarding school that can be compared to being at home is one in which you have one housemaster and one housemistress for each group of 2 or 3 children!
Re: Would you send your child to a boarding school? by cushman(m): 1:29pm On Nov 17, 2005
What about those private boarding schools around you? Aren't they anything to write home about?
Re: Would you send your child to a boarding school? by Seun(m): 1:45pm On Nov 17, 2005
They may be better funded than the public schools, but it's not the same as being at home with loving parents that know how to create time for their children wink.
Re: Would you send your child to a boarding school? by cushman(m): 1:56pm On Nov 17, 2005
Yes, i like the idea of creating time but what about the training? Some things can never be learned at home.

1 Like

Re: Would you send your child to a boarding school? by IAH(f): 10:52pm On Nov 17, 2005
What cannot be learnt at home?!!!
Re: Would you send your child to a boarding school? by cushman(m): 4:38pm On Nov 18, 2005
Many things...
Re: Would you send your child to a boarding school? by IAH(f): 5:05pm On Nov 18, 2005
like what? Examples?
Re: Would you send your child to a boarding school? by cushman(m): 5:29pm On Nov 18, 2005
Come on IAH, you went to a boarding school yourself...so you should know better
Re: Would you send your child to a boarding school? by obong(m): 12:11am On Nov 21, 2005
im not sure i'd send my kids to boarding school since i never attened and dont know what its like. But it think depedning on the school, its perhaps a good thing. my brother attended boarding school an dliked it
Re: Would you send your child to a boarding school? by prettyH(f): 3:38pm On Nov 22, 2005
went to a boarding school, saggy. was okay sha. am what i am cos of it. if theres a good one, why not?
Re: Would you send your child to a boarding school? by Seun(m): 7:20pm On Nov 22, 2005
If your parents are very strict/wicked/distant then you'll prefer boarding school because at least you'll have friends.
Re: Would you send your child to a boarding school? by Renike(f): 7:25am On Nov 23, 2005
yes i wld love to...compared to d system here in US
it is a give and take thing...and i fink going to Boarding Sch poses more good dan bad.
atleast, compared to what i see here.
Re: Would you send your child to a boarding school? by Consultant(f): 6:16pm On Mar 10, 2006
In a heartbeat!

Went to a boarding school myself. Absolutely loved it!
Re: Would you send your child to a boarding school? by Dauda(m): 4:39am On Mar 11, 2006
I will not send my kids to a boarding school. Kids are being abused sexually, mentally and physically in some of these boarding schools. I owe my kids that duty not to expose them to such unnecessary dangers.
Re: Would you send your child to a boarding school? by Renike(f): 6:21pm On Mar 22, 2006
Dauda:

I will not send my kids to a boarding school. Kids are being abused sexually, mentally and physically in some of these boarding schools. I owe my kids that duty not to expose them to such unnecessary dangers.

mmmmm, tori olorunnnnnn , na wa oo,
this is the biggest generalization i have heard or is it seen in my life.wow!
i wld take it uve NEVA schooled in one , so
Re: Would you send your child to a boarding school? by Dauda(m): 11:29pm On Mar 22, 2006
I went to one and I know what I'm talking about. I also said some of the schools are bad, not all.
Re: Would you send your child to a boarding school? by Hotstepper(f): 2:55am On Mar 25, 2006
I would if I have 2
Re: Would you send your child to a boarding school? by mamaput(f): 1:13pm On Mar 25, 2006
Not in Nigeira, If they want to go diehard then only when they are in sss. never in jss.
Re: Would you send your child to a boarding school? by Ndipe(m): 7:01am On Sep 22, 2006
One man's meat is another man's poison, so says the adage.

That my experiences in boarding school was great, does not mean my kids would enjoy it, so I am not sure if I woud send them or not. But I would like them to have the exposure of being independent at a young age, which boarding school inculcated in me
Re: Would you send your child to a boarding school? by biomic(f): 2:57am On Sep 23, 2006
i av tasted both day and boarding and i prefer boarrdin tho it had the bad side it was fun----it rilly depends on if my kids want to go to boarding school---not gonna force them
Re: Would you send your child to a boarding school? by iice(f): 7:15am On Sep 23, 2006
I loved boarding school even though it was hell sometimes but yes i will send them to boarding school.
Re: Would you send your child to a boarding school? by acidrop(f): 6:46am On Sep 08, 2008
y not?
Re: Would you send your child to a boarding school? by Gamine(f): 7:24pm On Sep 08, 2008
I will NEVER.
Re: Would you send your child to a boarding school? by sexyLeamon(f): 10:01am On Nov 09, 2008
I would not definitely not

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Essay On How I Spend My Holiday. / Maduka University Enugu Announces Admission For 2023/2024 Academic Session / Solarin's Widow Locks Mayflower School In Protest

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.